PDA

View Full Version : New resort

tink2006
07-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Just got back from 5 wonderful nights at WDW - stayed at POR from July 4- July 10. While we were there I noticed some construction nearby the resort - somewhere between POR and POFQ . A CM told me that it will be a new resort comparable to GF. He went on to say, that According to a recent study it seems that WDW needed more deluxe rooms.

I am not sure if this is accurate but I thought I would share.

Cinderella's mom
07-23-2009, 05:10 PM
I love staying at the Deluxe when I can afford it!! I wonder what the theme will be!

BMan62
07-23-2009, 05:44 PM
I believe that this is what you were looking at - NOT a Disney resort at all:

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=141028&highlight=expansion

Scott C
07-23-2009, 05:56 PM
I was at POFQ those same days. It was the Four Seasons that you saw. It is immediately north of POR. we saw it every time that we rode the bus to MK.

Thanks
Scott C

DizneyRox
07-23-2009, 06:38 PM
Yep, 4 seasons, not a Disney resort, and it will certainly blow the Disney Deluxes out of the water in terms of service... No word on Disney perks however...

AHOTE
07-24-2009, 12:17 AM
Anyone have an idea as to when it is scheduled to open? :shrug:

EPCOT84
07-24-2009, 11:07 PM
He went on to say, that According to a recent study it seems that WDW needed more deluxe rooms.

Too bad it is not Disney own deluxe instead. I just read the linked thread. I agree this change in policy (selling land) is a tricky move (could create more encroachment, what Walt wanted to avoid). I guess this would be akin to having Dolphin, Swan and the Hotel Plaza Boulevard non-Disney properties onsite. Maybe a good thing though. Four Seasons is a great hotel brand when it works.

SBETigg
07-24-2009, 11:43 PM
Four Seasons is great but the main reason I love the Disney Deluxes is location, being so close to the parks- in my case, the MK. I love the GF. So the Four Seasons, no matter how much the service might be improved, will not do it for me. And I'm really bothered by the whole arrangement, honestly. But for people who will be happy paying Four Seasons prices for Four Seasons service and amenities in that location, it's great news, I guess.

antngoof89
07-25-2009, 12:52 AM
I've heard the four seasons was a great resort, I suppose disney will get profit from this resort though right?

TheRustyScupper
07-25-2009, 06:27 AM
Yep, 4 seasons, not a Disney resort, and it will certainly blow the Disney Deluxes out of the water in terms of service.

1) Absolutely,
2) Positively.
3) Without doubt or repudiation.

* We stay at Four Seasons around the globe, and they are hard to beat.

EpcotChic23
07-26-2009, 02:13 PM
I have to agree about the service being better then Disney delux. I stayed at the four seasons in Maui on my honeymoon 4 years ago and the services was outstanding. Disney does a good job but the four seasons is going to give them a run for their money.

ransam
07-26-2009, 03:35 PM
I think walt would do whatever he had to do to provide more fun, excitement, and enhancment to his dream.

DreamFinder2
07-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Yep, 4 seasons, not a Disney resort, and it will certainly blow the Disney Deluxes out of the water in terms of service... No word on Disney perks however...

Hmmmm...we've always had really good service at deluxes. What could be missing???

CaptainSad
07-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Yeah Four Seasons may blow Disney out of the water with it's five star service. But Four Seasons won't take any business away from Disney. It's not Disney themed and a lot of people would rather have that Disney feel. I am sure when it is up and running it will cost a lot more then Disney Deluxe Resorts. For the money the Disney Deluxe Resorts are the better choice for the money.

Hammer
07-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Yeah Four Seasons may blow Disney out of the water with it's five star service. But Four Seasons won't take any business away from Disney. It's not Disney themed and a lot of people would rather have that Disney feel. I am sure when it is up and running it will cost a lot more then Disney Deluxe Resorts. For the money the Disney Deluxe Resorts are the better choice for the money.

I don't know if I would say "a lot of people" would rather have the Disney feel. Of course, you will find that here on Intercot; we are Disney fanatics. I know for a fact there are people who stay at the Grand Floridian and like the hotel, but are disappointed in the service as they expect Four Seasons level service for the price (GF is comparable to the prices of a Four Seasons resort in Hawaii). When this hotel opens up in 2012, these are the people Disney will lose and there are more of them than you think. Service matters more to them than Disney theming.

Puppy Mom
07-27-2009, 04:03 AM
I will never be able to afford the Four Seasons or a WDW deluxe, but if I could I would take Four Seasons in a heartbeat.

Nothing would be better to me after a long, hot tiring day than to come back to that kind of pampering. I get enough Disney theming at the parks.

DisneyFanaticDargon
07-27-2009, 04:34 AM
How will it compare to a Disney deluxe in price though? Let's face it, if you're not a cast member, the average person may find it a bit difficult to justify (especially in this economy) a week-long stay when the most basic of rooms in the deluxe resorts run $300-$500+ a night.

DizneyRox
07-27-2009, 11:28 AM
How will it compare to a Disney deluxe in price though? Let's face it, if you're not a cast member, the average person may find it a bit difficult to justify (especially in this economy) a week-long stay when the most basic of rooms in the deluxe resorts run $300-$500+ a night.
It WILL be higher, trust me... There was no shortage of poeple at the Grand in early July, in fact, it was hoppin'!

I think it will come down to perks.

Will they utilize Disney transportation being the biggest. Or should I say, drop off at the parks, or in the lots. Dropping off in the lots IS NOT going to be an option for that price point, so I'll assume they are going to get a bus stop, maybe even a custom bus with plenty of seats.

EMH? That too will be an option because once again when you're paying that price for a room, you want only the best.

I assume they will also have true concierge services, so lets also assume they will have some open tables at CRT, Cirque, etc. just for this reason. Maybe even fast passes... "Excuse me sir, my son likes Toy Story, can we get on the ride without having to wiat in those crazy smelly lines?" Sure thing!

Disney is going to sell these services for a price, so another built in revenue stream for Disney. (Applause from the shareholders ensues!) You see, Disney will get money for this, but won't have to worry about staffing, complaints, etc.

*DISCLAIMER* This is speculation however we all know money talks. I don't think this is too far fetched.

Hammer
07-27-2009, 11:44 AM
It WILL be higher, trust me... There was no shortage of poeple at the Grand in early July, in fact, it was hoppin'!

Will they utilize Disney transportation being the biggest. Or should I say, drop off at the parks, or in the lots. Dropping off in the lots IS NOT going to be an option for that price point, so I'll assume they are going to get a bus stop, maybe even a custom bus with plenty of seats.

EMH? That too will be an option because once again when you're paying that price for a room, you want only the best.

I really don't think the price will be higher there than at the GF; as I said, the rack rate price for one of the Four Seasons in Hawaii (there are at least 3) is the same as the GF. This is why you have people who are not happy with the level of service at GF. If the price is about the same as a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton, the expectation is for that level of service.

I do agree that they will have a bus stop and be part of EMH (like the Swan and Dolphin). I actually see the arrangement with the Four Seasons being very similar to what is in place for the Swan and Dolphin.

lockedoutlogic
07-28-2009, 12:24 PM
I know this has all been discussed in the past...but i'll summarize my take again

1. They will have no problem attracting four season type client - as that clientele is likely to settle for little less...but there kids still like disney world

2. This move is advantageous to WDW as much as it is to the four seasons and their customers (more on that below)

3. Disney "deluxes" are just named so to justify price. Not that they are not great facilities...but that is more a credit to designers and construction than it is a reflection on the service operations on any given date.
Four Seasons, Ritz, Waldorf...even hyatt and marriot....have much higher standards as far as service and employees than disney will ever have (again). They also accept industry standards that disney disregards in the interests of families (no swimsuit would ever be allowed in the lobby of a Seasons).
The Reason? Simple. Disney uses much cheaper, interchangeable, not-nearly-as-skilled labor than the aforementioned chains. they wish it to be so, the service suffers, and it is masked by and large by imagineering (the facilities) and size of the operation.

4. There is an advantage to this - at least to DVC. This move will allow the picky business traveler to be transitioned from the Grand, Y&B, and the Contemporary to the Four Seasons. What does that do for the disney fanatic? It will allow future development of DVC at the Grand. I strongly believe that a DVC at the Poly is only a matter of time....and if that happens, the Grand will follow.
DVC makes great sense for TWDC - and they have only thrived more since they have started to put DVCs at all "Deluxes". This trend will likely continue.
For non-DVC afficianados....that could lead to new restaurants, recreational services, bars and lounges.....more disney

Win Win - in my book

NotaGeek
07-28-2009, 12:41 PM
The Four Seasons hotels are SO far and beyond Disney in the level of service they provide ... it's not even "service" but it's the attention to detatail and personal touches that makes FS successful ... I stayed at the Four Seasons in Chicago 2 years ago when I worked for Amex Travel on a comp stay ... when I got to the hotel in a taxi the doorman greeted me, asked my name, I pronounced my last name (not hard, but Hispanic so lots of times it's tricky for people) -- when I got up to the check in desk (it was on the 8th floor I believe) the counter staff greeted me as I walked up "Hello Mr. XX, welcome to the Four Seasons, we've been waiting for you ..." and the entire stay hotel staff knew my name and pronounced it correctly ...

I was amazed and fully understood why people pay the big bucks for FS stays. While working in AMEX travel I had many many may wealthy and celebrity clients that would ONLY stay at FS properties ... and all of their preferences travel between the hotels, so nothing is ever missed.

In contrast I put clients up in one of the big suites at the Poly ... 3 bedroom suite at over $4500 a night and they had to complain 2x that they didn't have enough towels. IMO that's not "deluxe".

I think that adding this hotel to the Disney property will broaden the type of client that visits WDW ... and should bring in some big spenders as well.

lockedoutlogic
07-28-2009, 12:49 PM
The Four Seasons hotels are SO far and beyond Disney in the level of service they provide ... it's not even "service" but it's the attention to detatail and personal touches that makes FS successful ... I stayed at the Four Seasons in Chicago 2 years ago when I worked for Amex Travel on a comp stay ... when I got to the hotel in a taxi the doorman greeted me, asked my name, I pronounced my last name (not hard, but Hispanic so lots of times it's tricky for people) -- when I got up to the check in desk (it was on the 8th floor I believe) the counter staff greeted me as I walked up "Hello Mr. XX, welcome to the Four Seasons, we've been waiting for you ..." and the entire stay hotel staff knew my name and pronounced it correctly ...

I was amazed and fully understood why people pay the big bucks for FS stays. While working in AMEX travel I had many many may wealthy and celebrity clients that would ONLY stay at FS properties ... and all of their preferences travel between the hotels, so nothing is ever missed.

In contrast I put clients up in one of the big suites at the Poly ... 3 bedroom suite at over $4500 a night and they had to complain 2x that they didn't have enough towels. IMO that's not "deluxe".

I think that adding this hotel to the Disney property will broaden the type of client that visits WDW ... and should bring in some big spenders as well.

Thank you,

That was excellent

Scar
07-28-2009, 01:37 PM
... I pronounced my last name (not hard, but Hispanic so lots of times it's tricky for people) -- when I got up to the check in desk (it was on the 8th floor I believe) the counter staff greeted me as I walked up "Hello Mr. XX, welcome to the Four Seasons, we've been waiting for you ..." and the entire stay hotel staff knew my name and pronounced it correctly ...What's so tricky about that name? Everyone who drinks beer knows hows to prononce "Dos Equis";)

NotaGeek
07-28-2009, 02:17 PM
What's so tricky about that name? Everyone who drinks beer knows hows to prononce "Dos Equis";)
HA! :beer:

VirginiaWahoo
07-28-2009, 05:07 PM
As long as we're sharing Four Seasons stories -

Once I was traveling to Houston on business and stayed at the Four Seasons. It was basketball season, and my beloved Virginia Cavaliers were playing Georgia Tech that night. The game was only regionally televised, so in Houston you could only see it at a sports bar that could pick up the satellite feed. On my way out in the morning, I stopped by the front desk and asked if there was a sports bar nearby where I might be able to watch the game. The desk clerk said she didn't know off the top of her head, but she would check to see if there were any sports bars within walking distance. When I returned to my room that evening from my meetings, there was a handwritten note - on very nice note stock, I might add - that said something to the effect of "Dear Mr. XX, the XX sports bar is located just a few blocks from the hotel. I have called the bartender and arranged to have the Virginia-Georgia Tech game shown. The game begins at 6:30. The hotel car will be available to take you to XX at your convenience. Sincerely, XX."

Now that's service.

DisneyFanaticDargon
07-28-2009, 06:19 PM
In contrast I put clients up in one of the big suites at the Poly ... 3 bedroom suite at over $4500 a night and they had to complain 2x that they didn't have enough towels. IMO that's not "deluxe"

I've seen the rooms at the Poly. I've seen the Poly itself. Apart from location I don't think this resort deserves to be in the deluxe category. It's a glorified themed 70s motel, IMO, and is certainly not on par with the FS by a long shot to be in that price range.

TheVBs
07-28-2009, 06:30 PM
I've never stayed at a Four Seasons, so for kicks I went to their Chicago site to see what room costs and services were, and saw this:

Bedtime stories butler
Inspired by the Walt Disney Pictures family film Bedtime Stories, Four Seasons Hotel Chicago offers a Bedtime Stories Butler. By appointment, the Hotel's own storyteller will visit your guest room with a selection of storybooks presented on a silver tray and read bedtime stories to your children. The butler will leave them with a special limited edition Bedtime Stories plug-in nightlight. At check-in, your children will receive a bookmark with information about this special complimentary service.

How cool is that?! :mickey:

AlexinWonderland
07-30-2009, 05:51 PM
My father will be thrilled to hear this, and I hope that they bargain with Disney to get their visitors those coveted onsite outsider Extra Magic Hours.

Something tells me, if I go with my father after this is built we might be staying there anyway.

It sounds great and hopefully it will bring a few new lux restaurants to Disney.