PDA

View Full Version : snacks for diabetics

jusandnew
07-23-2009, 11:47 AM
What kind of snacks is out there for diabetics. My mom will be with my family DH and kids next month for our vacation(7 days). She is a diabetic. I am worried about that she will not be able to find things on the snack credits.(free dining plan )
Any sugestions?

It'sWDW4me
07-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Fresh fruit
popcorn
soft pretzels
frozen choc covered banana (I don't know sugar count but you can check it out)
frozen fruit bar (also from the ice cream carts)
sugar free choc brownie (I believe I saw them at CS venues)

If you haven't already - call your ADR restaurants ahead of time and ask if the chef can suggest something or even if s/he can prepare something especially for your DM.

Have a fantastic (and tasty) trip!

Strmchsr
07-23-2009, 01:56 PM
It depends on if she's type-1 or type-2. If she uses insulin to control her diabetes then she can eat most things as long as she knows the carbs. While that info can be difficult to come by in WDW, many of the packaged snacks (like Mickey Bars) do have the carb info on the packaging. If she's controlling it with diet that can be much, much tougher. PM me for some resources.

KSS
07-24-2009, 10:03 AM
When I took my dad who is diabetic a couple years ago we had no problem finding things for him to eat at the restaurants and for snacks. Some of the snack carts even had sugar free ice cream.

jusandnew
07-24-2009, 10:24 AM
With this information I feel more comfortable about her going with us. She controls her diabetes by diet and pills.

Jodi
07-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Both DH and DD are diabetic. We have been going to WDW for several years now without any problems finding snacks. What we keep in mind is the heat and the amount of walking or exercise we / they do while we are there. Most often an ice cream snack or ice cream bar are good for them to keep their blood sugar at a number we are comfortable with. They seem to have to take less insulin due to burning off the sugar while we are there.

piglet,pooh,and goofy2
07-27-2009, 11:28 PM
Every quick service/ counter service food area has a diabetic dessert offering. Because the meals are more than enough food, we often collected our desserts and packed them in our bag. We used them later as snacks. My mom's favorite was the sugar free brownie. It packed well too!!! All the seated dining has diabetic desserts also. www.allears.net has a section to access all the menus, including kiosk offerings.
-------------Kim :piglet: :pooh: :goofy:

Mackflava99
07-28-2009, 09:07 AM
They actually had sugar free fudge in Germany-
it was very good, i could not tell the difference.

nicster
07-28-2009, 09:30 AM
We use our snack credits for the $4 large waters in the resort gift shop.:blush:

Gooftroop5
07-29-2009, 02:38 PM
I know the Biergarten has a sugar free cheesecake for desert you might be able to get a piece at the QS counter. You can always ask.

It was very good too. My mom & I both agreed that it tasted like the one we make @ home that isn't sugar free. The waitress even asked my father if he wanted a 2nd piece but he was full though.

There is also a place in the animal kingdom that you can get a sugar free smoothie.