PDA

View Full Version : Mama Melrose's

GreenB
07-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Hi Everybody!

I just booked Mama Melrose's for our upcoming trip because it is a one credit sit down restaurant.

Now I need to know if the food is good or even great. I've read very mixed reviews about the place.
Is it worth it or should I opt for another restaurant?

Best Regards.

ginny57
07-22-2009, 02:27 PM
I've eaten there a number of times with my family & my friends and no complaints. I am not a very fussy person....I like what I like and I don't expect EVERY meal to always be the BEST EVER. That said, I would go back but I would not call it a must do or a favorite. it was good in my opinion.

I have read some VERY negative reviews....I don't agree.

RedSoxFan
07-22-2009, 02:34 PM
We have eaten there twice. Both times we had excellent meals. Would definitely eat there again.:thumbsup:

Disney_Barbie
07-22-2009, 02:37 PM
We've eaten there twice, but truthfully your guess is as good as mine. We had one AMAZING experience and one HORRIBLE experience. For years we actually shuttered when we walked by the place, but as time passes the memory of the bad experience fades and we casually speak of trying it again someday (due to the lack of TS eateries in the studios) but no plans for dinning there on the horizon at the moment, it may still take a few more years before we're willing to risk it again.

pox24
07-22-2009, 02:43 PM
It was ok, nothing to brag about. I wouldn't return, not that it was bad, there wasn't anything memorable about it.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-22-2009, 02:46 PM
We're not fans of Mama Melrose at all. Our meal wasn't horrible, but it sure wasn't good either. The food was bland and the service just horrible!

There are so many good places to eat at Disney, I wouldn't waste your time, or your credit at MM.

Depending on what you're looking for, from the Studios, you can take the boat to Epcot or the Boardwalk and get something to eat there. Even Prime Time withing DHS is a better bet than MM.

wdwvacationeer
07-22-2009, 02:51 PM
I think it is a good choice for Hollywood Studios. We eat there every year. It is my middle daughter's favorite. She always gets the Eggplant Napolean which she periodically wishes she could have throughout the year. Last year I commented to the waiter about how much she likes the eggplant and he told the chef who came out to talk to my daughter- she was so embarrassed but I thought it was really nice. We have an ADR at Mama Melrose for August 19th. The rest of us have tried different things- pasta with vodka sauce, chicken parm, flatbreads and thought all of them were good. The service has always been fast and friendly, too. I wouldn't worry.

DVCDisneyMom
07-22-2009, 02:53 PM
We have only eaten here once and I won't be rushing back anytime soon. The meal wasn't terrible, but it wasn't wonderful either. I'd rather eat at the Sci-Fi or Pizza Planet instead.

GreenB
07-22-2009, 03:05 PM
It is exactly what my concern is!!

I am very picky about where or what I eat. I truly enjoy a memorable meal and I deeply regret a bad one.
As Disney Barbie mentioned it is true that there is a lack of TS eateries in the studios. The best one, which is The Hollywood Brown Derby is good but definitely not worth the 2 credits they charge you for.

Thanks to All for the Answers!

elmjimmlm
07-22-2009, 03:10 PM
It has been a few years since we ate there but I do remember we enjoyed our meal there...If you haven't eaten there before then trying won't hurt anything...:mickey:

marlaine
07-22-2009, 10:18 PM
We eat there every year! We've always had great food and service! Last year for my DS birthday, the waiter brought him a Pirate Punch with a light up Captain Hook on the house! I wish I could remember his name--he was so good to us, we even got pictures of him and my son!:thumbsup:

JavaDuck
07-22-2009, 11:14 PM
We are at Mama Melrosa's last year. The meal we had was one of the best of the week. I had the pork tenderloin with risotto. It was very tasty. The service, on the other hand, was not the best of the week. It was not awful just slightly below what we normally expect when we eat out.

We will return again in the future. For this year's trip we are trying the Prime Time Cafe, despite the not so stellar reviews, so we can form our own.

I hope you at least give it a try.

Have a great trip!

NJGIRL
07-23-2009, 11:30 AM
I felt it was just OK. Nothing special but overpriced on the Fantasmic package.

Mfarquar
07-23-2009, 12:32 PM
REALLY not a fan of this one. Two very bad experiences here (several years apart). Both times we had to wait over 25 minutes to be seated, even though the restaurant was not crowded, there was no one else waiting, and we had reservations (and showed up early).

The food is bland and boring, as well as very overpriced. The servers have been non-attentive to mediocre.

We've had MUCH better experiences at 50s Prime Time, Sci-Fi, Brown Derby and Hollywood & Vine buffet.

AllDisney
07-24-2009, 05:33 PM
We have eaten there before & liked it very much. We would eat there again. I thought the food was pretty good. We liked it better than the previous Italian restaurant that was located at EPCOT. It's WAY better than Tony's @ MK.

That's our :twocents:

lighteningqueen
07-24-2009, 07:31 PM
Sounds like it is blah and cheaply made??? I cannot stand Olive Gardens sauce and I am pretty sure that northerners like different Italian than most of the US. It is different right? But if I am going to eat Italian I want it tasting Italian. Basil garlic etc. So think I won't be booking this place. 50's is good home cooked tasting food. you really cannot go wrong there. The roast is wonderful and hubby and son in law have had the meatloaf and the chicken and said it was really good.

Gator
07-24-2009, 10:47 PM
Like a PP, we got there and waited for 15 minutes. When we were seated, they had seats everywhere, so I don't know what the holdup was.

On to the food. My wife and kids were OK with it. The appetizer bread was good, but it seemed funny to be paying for bread when it's free at the Olive Garden. I had the pork marsalla - and it was GREAT! One of the best meals I've had at WDW. If you like pork, or are even OK with it, you have to try this dish at dinner. It's incredible.

bruin1344
07-25-2009, 11:14 AM
it was mediocre but i am italian food snob

luvDaMouse
07-25-2009, 11:41 AM
My husband and I ate there and enjoyed it. It seems like we eat at a place once and it is outstanding then the 2nd time it is so-so:confused: not sure why this happens but it did with the CG. Anyways, we had a bread sampler which we shared that had different spreads sundried tomato, roasted garlic and one was as veggie very tasty! we shared a chicken dish which was also very good. He had a tiramasu and I had chocolate gelato! I am afraid to go again considering my track record;)
but I would recommend it:thumbsup:

justice11
07-25-2009, 02:37 PM
we have gone there and not one of us liked it. there were about 15 of us, it was my granddaughter's birthday and the waiter was great, he seen that we did not like anything so he brought us out every kind of dessert they had. and we love italian food.

okw2006
07-25-2009, 04:49 PM
We have been there twice. Enjoyed both trips. Good food and service.:thumbsup:

maxrebo77
07-25-2009, 08:02 PM
I stopped there for lunch last year right at 11. I didn't have an ADR, but they sat me right away. The food was very good and the service was fast and polite. I would go back there again anytime.