PDA

View Full Version : Ritz vs Contemporary

Talie08
07-22-2009, 09:56 AM
We got incredible deals on both the Ritz-Carlton and the Contemporary. Can anyone help me explain to a very stubborn family why a Disney resort is worthwhile?

Here's what I have:
- Disney transportation means we save on parking and hassles.

- Extra magic hours mean we get more out of our tickets.

sisterslovindisney
07-22-2009, 10:16 AM
We haven't stayed at the Contemporary but being a monorail resort is a big plus! Here are a few:

No driving or bus needed to MK or Epcot.

Watching Wishes and the ELP parade from your resort.

EMH

It's so easy to go back and forth between resort and park for mid-day breaks, naps, pool time, etc.

Fully immersed in the magic of Disney.

Hammer
07-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Well, there are a few things that could influence the answer. How large is the group going and what are the ages? Any small children?

Now, I know there are some who will not like my next statement, but there are people who enjoy going to Disney and do not want Disney 24/7. Some, like myself, like things more subdued when I leave the parks and find that to be "magical". The Contemporary refurb did accomplish that, though, and I wish the other deluxe resorts would follow suit.

You will probably have a smaller staff to guest ratio at the Ritz, so if that is important, I would stay there. The Ritz, as I understand it, is not near WDW but in downtown Orlando so you will have quite a commute to the parks.

TheRustyScupper
07-22-2009, 12:27 PM
1) There is no comparison.
2) There is no WDW resort that compares to the Ritz.
3) Not even GF.

streets of paris
07-23-2009, 04:15 PM
The pool at the JW Marriott compares to Stormalong Bay at YC/BC and Ritz guests can use it.

Ritz is really nice for adults and they have some kids programs too.

It is about a 15-20 minute drive but very easy; you'll just have to pay for parking.

It is a tough choice!

TheRustyScupper
07-23-2009, 04:26 PM
1) Oh, did I mention Ritz Concierge Floor?
2) Go Concierge and get a FREE Mercedes during your stay. *
. . . S 500 - Silver 4-door Sedan
. . . SLK 350 - Silver Convertible
. . . ML 350 - Silver SUV
3) And, the Ritz Concierge Floor is
. . . cheaper than GF or CR Club Floor
. . . is a true concierge floor, not an imitation

* This car vacation package includes:
. . . deluxe guest room on The Ritz-Carlton Club Level
. . . use of a new Mercedes-Benz with unlimited mileage for the duration of the guest's stay
. . . full tank of gas each morning
. . . overnight valet parking

Talie08
07-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Thank you so much for your advice. We decided on the Contempo, because while we may have the chance to stay at the Ritz some other time, we'll probably never get "the Disney experience" again as a family (I'm the youngest and it will be my 21st birthday).
I also think the benefit of a monorail resort will help my family stay relaxed: dad can easily go back for a rest while the rest of us enjoy extra magic hours, and no one has to whine.
We love the idea of seeing some park activity from the resort.
And finally, the Ritz sounds lovely and refined, but this may be the last family trip when we can reasonably consider ourselves parents and kids. Why not hold celebrate with a little of that Disney whimsy?

PetefromRI
07-26-2009, 12:35 PM
We love the Disney resorts but we also know that you can get alot more for alot less outside the gates.The bottom line is it's all about location,location,location.We still love staying onsite for the 100% Disney magic without the hassle of driving and we love the safety of staying on grounds.

magicofdisney
07-26-2009, 12:43 PM
1) Oh, did I mention Ritz Concierge Floor?
2) Go Concierge and get a FREE Mercedes during your stay. *
. . . S 500 - Silver 4-door Sedan
. . . SLK 350 - Silver Convertible
. . . ML 350 - Silver SUV
3) And, the Ritz Concierge Floor is
. . . cheaper than GF or CR Club Floor
. . . is a true concierge floor, not an imitation

* This car vacation package includes:
. . . deluxe guest room on The Ritz-Carlton Club Level
. . . use of a new Mercedes-Benz with unlimited mileage for the duration of the guest's stay
. . . full tank of gas each morning
. . . overnight valet parking

Wow! I just dont' get out enough. I didn't know about all these perks.

And as crazy as it sounds, I'd probably take the CR over this fabulous package (of course I'd have to arm wrestle my husband over this choice ;)).

Keneva
07-26-2009, 09:45 PM
I thought Rusty Scupper was making a joke about the Mercedes car deal at the Ritz but it is true. Pricey $$ but true.

Google Search Results:
"The Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes in Florida has teamed up with Mercedes-Benz to offer luxury accommodations and car vacation package. The Mercedes-Benz Key to Luxury Package rates start at $509 per night, depending on season and availability. Rates vary by season, starting at $509 for a Club Lake Front View Room, and from $999 for a Club Executive Suite ".

:car:

KAT1811
07-29-2009, 01:19 PM
1) There is no comparison.
2) There is no WDW resort that compares to the Ritz.
3) Not even GF.

As a past Ritz guest I seriously disagree with that statement. I woud NEVER take the Ritz over any WDW resort. In fact I will never stay at the Ritz again. We had the worst resort stay in our lives at a Ritz. Actually an employee stole our credit card number and continued to spend quite a bit of money at our expense after we left. When I confronted the resort they were far from helpful. It took a bit of arguing on my part to have the charges reversed (the charges were made well after our departure). In fact the staff at the resort was far from helpful and friendly. At times I wondered who was the guest and who was the employee. I have never had such treatment at a WDW resort, regardless of the resort level. Many people think that the Ritz is the best based only on their reputation. From experience I can tell you that I will never return to a Ritz, no matter where it is. Their guest services department was not very helpful either. Glad to hear that you took the CR!!! You'll be much happier!!!

Mfarquar
07-30-2009, 09:25 AM
That's very good to know KAT1811!

I, too, have experienced 4 and 5 star hotels that are supposed to be leaders in service, but are the exact opposite. I recently had an experience like that in Boston for a conference - regardless of the hotel reputation, the staff couldn't be more rude or inconsiderate when dealing with our minor requests (a replacement for a broken iron, an extra blanket, etc.).

It was like we were working for them!

It's disappointing to hear that about the Orlando Ritz, but definitely good to know!

renecat
07-30-2009, 02:04 PM
Also if you stay on property you get fast pass.
Think you made a wise choice and hope you and your family have a magical time.:thumbsup:

Hammer
07-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Also if you stay on property you get fast pass.

You do not need to stay on property to use fast pass. It is available for all guests regardless of where they stay.

KAT1811
07-30-2009, 07:03 PM
It's disappointing to hear that about the Orlando Ritz, but definitely good to know!

I should have specified that it wasn't the Orlando Ritz. We were in Puerto Rico. After the problems I was having with that specific resort I contacted the head of the chain's resort guest services and was very disappointed with his lack of concern over our situation. He was far from apologetic.

Like you we were confused as to who was working for whom! And then to top it off they stole our credit card number and spent thousands. Then they insisted it must have been us regardless of the fact that we were back in the states at the time of the spending spree!

Hammer
07-31-2009, 07:53 AM
I should have specified that it wasn't the Orlando Ritz. We were in Puerto Rico. After the problems I was having with that specific resort I contacted the head of the chain's resort guest services and was very disappointed with his lack of concern over our situation. He was far from apologetic.

Like you we were confused as to who was working for whom! And then to top it off they stole our credit card number and spent thousands. Then they insisted it must have been us regardless of the fact that we were back in the states at the time of the spending spree!

I've actually heard this problem before with other hotels in Puerto Rico and other Caribbean destinations.

Of course, you'll find people will have bad experiences at any hotel. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the NY Palace or Waldorf Astoria and do not believe they are worth the price tag. For me, though, I look for a pattern and if I see a decline in service so that it is not commiserate with the level of accommodations; that to me is a problem.

KAT1811
07-31-2009, 08:12 AM
What added to my irritation was that guest services for the chain is located in the US and when I contacted them they were far from helpful or apologetic.

As for the Waldorf I had a fabulous stay but, I will agree that the hotel is not worth the price tag. IMHO no room is. The amount of time you spend in a hotel while on vacation, again IMHO, does not warrant exorbitant prices. It's a place to sleep. I've stayed in some beautiful resorts but lately I just don't see the reason to spend large amounts of money for a place to lay my head, especially when the staff is condescending and lofty. Hospitality is hospitality reagardless of resort rating. One star or five.

Mousemates
07-31-2009, 09:14 AM
Hospitality is hospitality reagardless of resort rating. One star or five.

:thumbsup:

Hammer
07-31-2009, 12:30 PM
As for the Waldorf I had a fabulous stay but, I will agree that the hotel is not worth the price tag. IMHO no room is. The amount of time you spend in a hotel while on vacation, again IMHO, does not warrant exorbitant prices. It's a place to sleep. I've stayed in some beautiful resorts but lately I just don't see the reason to spend large amounts of money for a place to lay my head, especially when the staff is condescending and lofty. Hospitality is hospitality reagardless of resort rating. One star or five.

Sorry, I disagree. When I vacation, the resort is much more to me than a place to sleep, especially the higher the level of accommodations. At many of the higher end hotels I've stayed at (4 star and above) you have a smaller staff to guest ratio allowing for more personalized service. You've read the thread for the new Four Seasons in the News forum and people's experiences and services offered at Four Seasons hotels. The room rate is comparable to the GF and Poly but the service is more individualized. I think when that resort opens in 2012 and WDW does see a segment of their resort guests move to there as they value the level of service more than location, Disney will be forced to change how it runs its deluxe hotels, or at the very least the Monorail deluxes.

To the original poster, you should be very happy at the Contemporary. I feel the renovations done there really improved the overall look of the hotel.

magicofdisney
07-31-2009, 12:48 PM
I think when that resort opens in 2012 and WDW does see a segment of their resort guests move to there as they value the level of service more than location, Disney will be forced to change how it runs its deluxe hotels, or at the very least the Monorail deluxes.
While I'm usually very pleased with my stays, I'm really hoping for this to happen and that it will extend all the way to the value level.

KAT1811
07-31-2009, 01:18 PM
Sorry, I disagree.

That's why they are called opinions. ;)