PDA

View Full Version : There is always a first time?

TheMartellFamily
07-21-2009, 07:59 PM
This is the first time I am doing this so here it goes. On Friday my DS age 5 is going to have his 5th surgery for revision of Cleft Palate and tubes in his ears. We are going to have it done at Childrens Hospital in Chicago, and as stated this will be his 5th since he has been born. This time he will be much older and he is very scared( last one was when he was 9 months old.) I am in the medical field and feel that I am trained to handle this, but it is much different when it is your own child. I know he will be OK, I just have to convince him, DH, other DS and family that it is fine. So what I am trying to do in a nutshell, is ask for some strength and Pixie Dust from all these wonderfull people. That way I can show DS how many people are here for him and give him words of support. Thank you, Linda

garymacd
07-21-2009, 08:10 PM
:pixie:

Melanie
07-21-2009, 08:34 PM
:pixie: for you all. Please let us know how well he does.

deedeebee
07-21-2009, 08:42 PM
:pixie:for all of you

chefmickey3
07-21-2009, 08:46 PM
:pixie: as requested. I will keep your son in my thoughts and prayers. Surgery is never easy, but you have good doctors at CHOC and you need to trust them to help you.

Stitchahula
07-21-2009, 09:16 PM
you got it...so here's a whole ton of:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie ::magic::magic:
I threw some magic in too so he'll have sweet dreams while sleeping his way through surgery.

RedSoxFan
07-21-2009, 09:28 PM
:pixie::pixie::pixie: for you son. DS21 was 5 when he had surgery too --- he had to have his adnoids removed. He brought his favorite stuffed animal, Littlefoot, and wouldn't let him go when they took him into the OR. They let him keep him and put a surgical cap on him.

Let us know how your son makes out.

DVC2004
07-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Strength, prayers, pixie dust, and good vibes from your neighbors down the road! I know everything will be fine and he will do great. We are all thinking of him (and you!).

swampfox28
07-21-2009, 10:46 PM
I remember being in the hospital for pneumonia when I was 5 (over my birthday!), but don't worry, Mom, he'll be fine.

What *I* remember most was the fact that my dad gave (bribed) me a quarter every time I had to get a shot AND once he and my mom sneaked in a McDonalds cheeseburger for me.

I bet as worried as you all are, he'll look back and it won't be such a big deal - other than how great he's going to look!

Give him a hug all the way from Louisiana (and maybe a cheeseburger, too!?)

-Sarah :thumbsup:

ElenitaB
07-22-2009, 12:47 AM
Here's a whole bunch of :pixie: blowing over to the Windy City for your DS (and :hug: for his mom too).

TheMartellFamily
07-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Thank you for the support. We are keeping him busy to keep his mind on other things. I will post how he is doing later. We have to be at the hospital by 6:30 for a 7:30 am surgery.

SBETigg
07-23-2009, 07:47 PM
:pixie: headed your way!

momofdisneyprincess
07-24-2009, 09:05 AM
Sending lots of good thoughts to you and your family. My daughter was 2 1/2 when she had to have tubes and her adenoids out. It was one of the hardest things I had to do - carry her to the OR and lay her on the table then leave. I just kept reminding myself it was all for the best. You will all be so relieved when this is over. I hope this is his last surgery. Lots of :pixie: to you all!

azdisneymom
07-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Here is some more pixie dust for a speedy recovery. :pixie:

TheMartellFamily
07-25-2009, 11:20 AM
Surgery lasted 1 1/2 hours. Recovery in the hospital was short because he wanted some pain meds to "feel better". This was from a 5 year old. When the general wore off he was good to go and wanted to get home. Slept on the way home and laid around for an hour. By 4 hours after surgery he said he felt good and played baseball. The Drs said he will let you know how he feels and does not have limits. His body will tell him what he can and can not do. So this morning he is dressed and ready to go play for his team in baseball. What is most difficult for him is his liquid diet. This is a boy who will eat anything so he is really upset that he has to eat just broth, jello, yougurt, and other just liquid things. So here is the update and thank you for all the support, Pixie Dust really does wonders. Linda

Emme&TeddysMommy
07-25-2009, 11:24 AM
So glad to hear he did well! You have quite the resilient young man on your hands. Hope his recovery is a speedy one:mickey:

pianobabe
07-25-2009, 12:49 PM
I am so glad he did well during his surgery. As a nurse, I can relate. As a Mom, I know what you mean. Knowledge is power, but then again it can also be scary.

Gooftroop5
07-26-2009, 09:31 AM
:truck: loads of :pixie: for everyone. for his speedy recovery.

RedSoxFan
07-26-2009, 03:56 PM
Glad to hear he did well and is playing baseball.:)