PDA

View Full Version : Baby carrier or stroller?

Giselle
07-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Would you recomend a baby carrier or stroller for a 7 month old? What kind of carrier? Rent or bring a stroller? Thanks.:babyroll:

King Triton
07-20-2009, 09:48 PM
I'd go with the stroller; its very handy for storing drinks, snacks, etc. underneath.

If you have your own car (or rental), I'd be inclined to bring my own; if I'm using Disney transportation, I'd be inclined to rent.

Mousemates
07-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Stroller....even a small seven month old will get very heavy walking around the park...also the stroller makes a good place for naps, as well as providing hands free storage.

LittleRoosMommy
07-20-2009, 10:26 PM
I would definitely bring your own stroller. You will want to have a stroller for getting to/from your room and definitely at DTD. It's a great place for naps and for carrying/storing drinks, snacks, bags, etc.

wdw_bound
07-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Why not both? When DS was 10 mos, I carried him in the Baby Bjorn most of the time - he was secure on the rides, and I had my hands free to help DD. In many places (ie Land pavillion at Epcot), you have to park the stroller, leaving you to carry your little one - and it is so much easier to do that with the Bjorn.

The rental strollers are not really designed for little little ones, and they are only available in the parks, leaving you without one fairly often.

Your own stroller is convenient for other item as well, so if you can manage both, I would.

Have a great trip! :mickey:

jonahbear2006
07-21-2009, 12:46 AM
we took both when our child was a baby cause we learned the first trip that epcot is a pain with strollers. its hard to get into the pavillions and the land doesnt allow them, and MK it was just one stroller parking to the next. Then you really need a stroller in AK and HS. HS there isnt much for a baby to do and AK everything is so far away from each other.

DisneyAndRedSox
07-21-2009, 07:03 AM
I have taken my DD at 2 mo, 14 mo, 26 mo and 38 mo. We also go to alot of away baseball games since she was 8 months old.

1- Definitely bring your own stroller. Waking around DTD, to busses/cars/monorail, and it is more comfy to nap in! Plus it is crazy what they charge to rent a stroller. You can also rent a stroller from a private company in Orlando that delivers the stroller to your hotel.

2- If you can bring a carrier I would. Every away baseball game we went to we had a carrier and DD fell asleep in it. I had DD in a carrier once on the way to baseball game in Chicago. She never naps and finally crashed after a few days of travel, and slept in it for over 2 hours (was about 20 months old). I can't imagine holding her for that long or dealing with a very tired baby and trying to go on rides. Certain attractions you can bring your child in the carrier sleeping.

My friend got the Ergo carrier and loves it, it holds bigger kids than other carriers. Her DD just turned one (100th precentile baby for weight!) and she said it is very comfortable. I had the Baby Bjorn and had to get a 2nd carrier later when DD outgrew it. I wish I had the ergo instead!

dani226
07-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Another vote for both! I also used the Baby Bjorn with my son. He was a very fussy baby and preferred to be held. When we took him on vacation at 4 months old, he loved the carrier (especially on the boardwalk and the beach), but I would also need to put him in the stroller from time to time. Good Luck!

Disney Doll
07-21-2009, 09:32 AM
I would vote for both as well. Stroller for the long walks through the parks, but the carrier for rides and shops. I have always been a bring your own stroller advocate. The Disney strollers seem to be designed more for older kids (no comfy padding or recline) and they are so expensive. Plus, if you bring your own you have it at the resort and at the airport.

diz_girl
07-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Another vote for both. For the same reasons Disney Doll stated.

We have the Baby Bjorn and babies really like to look out at the world, so I'd recommend that one. My son liked to be held a lot as a baby, so I'd wear it a lot at home. It was a godsend. I also have a Peanut Shell baby sling, which I also liked using. When we toured a museum when DS was two months old, he zonked out in it for a while, and he's never been that great of a napper.

I'd also recommend bringing your own stroller. I'd recommend a Maclaren. I've got a Triumph model. It's lightweight, and easy to use and carry, expecially on the buses. It even comes with a rain shield. It has a canopy to shade your baby and a basket underneath to hold some stuff. It also reclines somewhat. Maclarens are a bit expensive, but most people (like myself) say that they are worth it. Yes, a stroller system has cupholders and more storange underneath, but they are a lot more cumbersome to carry on the buses and navigate through store and parks.

Emme&TeddysMommy
07-21-2009, 10:21 AM
I would use both. We used our baby Bjorn and our own stroller and this worked great. On the bus/rides the bjorn kept our baby close and I had extra hands for our toddler. I did use the stoller quite a bit for naps and to give my back a rest. I will warn you that you will also get very hot and swetty from carrying about a little one in the bjorn all day. I was also concerned about overheating the baby in the warm FL weather. Hope you have a great trip!

jonahbear2006
08-07-2009, 04:46 AM
last two times we vacationed in disney we brought the backpack carrier, as our baby was approaching an older age and it was absolutely wonderful for future world; as the land won't allow for strollers and the constant in and out of pavillions drove us crazy with strollers. He was still able to nap in the backpack and had a place to rest his feet even. I did get kicked a few times and we will prob leave it home now since he is 2 and can do a decent amount of walking on his own (he is a trooper) but would always take it again, had we had another child somewhere down the road.

momof3+twins
08-07-2009, 07:29 AM
So funny you ask this question. We were out with friends this weekend that were going to bring the carrier but changed their mind while carrying their 7 month old for about 10 minutes. I would bring a stroller. Disney's aren't really for babies. And don't forget to use the baby areas (can't remember what they are called, last baby we brought was 5 yrs ago). But the areas are very nice. And if you run out of something in the park, they have everything.

momofdisneyprincess
08-07-2009, 10:33 AM
I would, and have actually done, both. The stroller for the main walking and the carrier for waiting in line. Sometimes the lines could be 30 mins and my arms got really tired holding my baby.

g8rgirl29
08-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Another vote for bringing both the carrier and stroller!!

magicofdisney
08-07-2009, 10:41 AM
If you HAVE to choose, go with the stroller, but I agree with the majority that both are best. :thumbsup:

poohbearkris
08-07-2009, 12:24 PM
I also did both when DS was 3 months old. The stroller was great for the walking, but I used my Baby Bjorn (Active-?) when I new we would be going from ride to ride so I didn't need to take him in and out. It was also nice for when he wanted to be held because you were still hands free. And it stored easily under the stroller. As far as taking the strollers on the buses - yes it is a pain, but I think worth it. They are in the comfort of their own stroller and if it is small and lightweight, it is pretty easy. I ended up taking a double when the last couple of times I went and when it was just my mom, sister and I, the other guests were very nice and helpful.

mudpuppysmom
08-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Here's another mom that took both -- stroller and Baby Bjorn air carrier.....DS#2 was a preemie and he liked to be snuggled so we took the carrier with us. When he was awake we tried to face him out as much as possible, but when he wanted to, we turned him around and he snuggled in. When he would be ready for a nap we just put him back in the stroller and he napped.

The carrier takes up very little room in your luggage/backpack so it's really something handy to take with little trouble!

1EeyoreFan
08-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Another vote for taking both. Carriers are great for places where you have to park your strollers. Having a stroller along saves your back some and gives some relief from the heat depending on what time of the year you are going.

Have a great trip!

Belster
08-09-2009, 05:13 PM
I would go with a stroller. We did bring a carrier last trip when my son was 8 months...we only used it while we waited in lines. It was so easy because he enjoyed getting out of the stroller and being close to mom and dad...we loved it because he would have been too heavy to carry while waiting in line.

kakn7294
08-09-2009, 05:31 PM
I also vote for both. It's so nice to have the carrier when you can't use the stroller - the baby is more secure and you are hands free, but it's also so nice to have the stroller when you need a break from carrying the baby.

rt207
08-09-2009, 09:32 PM
I agree with taking both. There's were times my son got antsy and bored in the stroller (although he was older than your 7 month old) and I'd use the carrier for a while. I could never do the carrier full time, though, and the stroller was nice when he wanted to nap.

crazypoohbear
08-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Stroller!! It gets hot carrying the baby. (heat rash on the baby won't be fun)
bring a sling carrier for when it's neccessary though