PDA

View Full Version : 2-Weeks until we leave - HELP

scrapbookmom5174
07-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Okay - we are now two-weeks before we arrive in WDW. We've never been there before and I am not sure what else I should be doing. To add to all of this, my kids and I got into a terrible rollover accident on last Thursday and I'm not really thinking about WDW right now. Our van was totalled, but all of us are okay.

Anyway, I want to make sure I am ready to go when it's time. What do you guys do with 2 weeks to go?

King Triton
07-20-2009, 09:56 PM
Sorry about your accident! Hope everyone is OK. I guess the good news is this happened now and not a night or two before leaving.

Whatever you do, don't panic about the trip. Pack for a summer trip - comfortable clothes, 2 pairs of shoes for everyone, bathing suits, etc. Get your cameras ready - extra batteries and memory. Also make sure you have cell phone chargers. Reconfirm your flights, hotels, etc.

A lot depend on how long you're going, where you're staying, etc. Do some reading..by posting here, you're already in good shape. Since you haven't been at WDW, I'd probably give the Birnbaum book a view. It'll be busy when you come, but don't obsess on it now. Don't get consumed with details, but make sure all the important stuff is covered.

The main thing to remember is that in 2 weeks, even though it may be a little overwhelming, you're going to be having a lot of fun!

scrapbookmom5174
07-20-2009, 10:06 PM
This what we have so far -
We are staying off-site at Wyndham and will be there for 10 days.
Tix are bought
Pins/Souvies bought
1/2 of tie-dye shirts made
Ponchos bought
Autograph books made
Have purchased Passports and Unoficial Guide
ADR's made at a few restaurants

I think that is it.

Aurora
07-21-2009, 01:12 AM
So sorry about your accident. It sounds like you are in good shape for your trip, though.

A few questions: At which Wyndham are you staying? How many theme park days are your park tickets? Are you renting a car?

10 days is, I think, a good amount of time for a first trip. It lets you schedule in some down time. (I know it sounds funny to "schedule" down time.)

1. The first thing I would do is read the Unofficial Guide. Then read it again. It is one of the best guidebooks to going to Disney World. Check the scheduled park hours on Intercot. Then make a little tentative plan for yourself. I know it's difficult since you've never been, but it's good to have an idea of what you want to do and you can always change it while you're there depending on circumstances or how you're feeling that day. Having even a general plan is better than none.

2. It will be HOT on some, maybe all days. Highs in the 90s, sometimes the upper 90s, are the norm this time of year. So are periodic thunder showers. (We like to joke that during the summer it rains at Disney World for 20 minutes every day.) Pack Band-Aids and sunblock. We also like to bring some kind of water bottle holder with a strap to carry around. Caps help too, but you can buy these there and have souvenirs as well. Prepare yourself mentally for the heat so you can deal with it. If the Wyndham you're staying at is near the parks, plan for a few midday pool breaks during your vacation.

3. Bring addresses of friends and family so you can send postcards. Also some attractions, like Spaceship Earth at Epcot, let you send ride photos to e-mail addresses back home, so have a few handy.

4. Have a fabulous time!!!

tjstrike
07-21-2009, 03:24 AM
What I do is go to the disney site and check emh days, mark those in the calender on my cell phone, I also mark my ADR's in my cell phone calender. Flip flops or crocs, and don't forget your jorts !! LOL

dinahvixen
07-21-2009, 07:57 AM
Pack sunscreen in your checked luggage so you don't have to buy it there for crazy price. And underwear. My husband forgot to pack his underwear once!

betteratmk
07-21-2009, 08:36 AM
I would have everyone pick out 2-3 attractions that is a must see in the parks, that way if you see all those picked you have sort of a plan, no one is dissapointed and it's all extra after that!:D

vicster
07-21-2009, 09:05 AM
I also mark my ADR's in my cell phone calender.

Never thought of that - I'll have to do that for my September trip. Great idea - thanks!

wdwvacationeer
07-21-2009, 09:32 AM
Since you have WDW guides I would page through them with your family and decide what you really want to see- even though you have 10days, I wouldn't expect to see everything- you would be exhausted. Give yourself some down time. The first time we took our kids to Disney I had way overplanned for everyday and by the end of the week my husband and oldest daughter took a day off from my ridiculous pace and went to the car wash to wash the van rather than keep up with my schedule!!! Decide if you want to go to a water park and add that in to your schedule. I always make a tentative schedule. We know what parks we are going to go to and basically what we would like to see before we get there. Also, if you have ADRs factor those into your plans.

We are leaving three weeks from today and I am going to begin packing up today because I have a day off from work. It is easier for me to do it a little at a time rather than all at once. I get all of the suitcases out and start thinking about who needs what. I pack the things that they won't need between now and then early because it just cuts down on having to do it last minute. If I buy new things I put them in the suitcases right away so I am not searching later. Sometimes, I sit and make a list so that I can check it off later. I put snacks and breakfast stuff in big zip lock bags and put that in. I check my camera stuff and makes sure that is all ready to go. I put sunscreen and hair supplies and things like that in another ziploc bag and put that in. I have found that the earlier I start packing the less likely I am to forget things and I hate to have to buy necessities there because they are sooo expensive and to me that is a waste. Also, I make a surprise backpack of disney things for my youngest daughter to use on the plane- we've been doing this since she was little and she really looks forward to it.

Have fun!

scrapbookmom5174
07-21-2009, 09:38 AM
So sorry about your accident. It sounds like you are in good shape for your trip, though.

A few questions: At which Wyndham are you staying? How many theme park days are your park tickets? Are you renting a car?

10 days is, I think, a good amount of time for a first trip. It lets you schedule in some down time. (I know it sounds funny to "schedule" down time.)

1. The first thing I would do is read the Unofficial Guide. Then read it again. It is one of the best guidebooks to going to Disney World. Check the scheduled park hours on Intercot. Then make a little tentative plan for yourself. I know it's difficult since you've never been, but it's good to have an idea of what you want to do and you can always change it while you're there depending on circumstances or how you're feeling that day. Having even a general plan is better than none.

2. It will be HOT on some, maybe all days. Highs in the 90s, sometimes the upper 90s, are the norm this time of year. So are periodic thunder showers. (We like to joke that during the summer it rains at Disney World for 20 minutes every day.) Pack Band-Aids and sunblock. We also like to bring some kind of water bottle holder with a strap to carry around. Caps help too, but you can buy these there and have souvenirs as well. Prepare yourself mentally for the heat so you can deal with it. If the Wyndham you're staying at is near the parks, plan for a few midday pool breaks during your vacation.

3. Bring addresses of friends and family so you can send postcards. Also some attractions, like Spaceship Earth at Epcot, let you send ride photos to e-mail addresses back home, so have a few handy.

4. Have a fabulous time!!!

We are actually staying at Windsor Hills rather than Wyndham. My head is still pretty foggy after the accident. (it actually broke out my driver's side window from the impact). Thanks for all of the great ideas.

agravette
07-21-2009, 02:56 PM
Hi! I'm so glad you and your family are okay! You sound like you have a pretty good plan already, and the tips everyone has given here on the board are excellent. The only advice I can give is just to say a prayer of thanks, try to relax, and when you're walking into Magic Kingdom, capture your precious children's smiles on camera! All the craziness will be worth it, I promise!

scrapbookmom5174
07-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Oh yes, we have been saying our prayers. Thanks for the great ideas.