PDA

View Full Version : going alone to WDW

pokci
07-20-2009, 05:44 PM
I am planning my first solo vacation at WDW and have searched on this site for feedback about solo trips. Since it's all over the place, I thought I'd ask here, in one thread, what you think the pros and cons are of going solo. I talk to everyone, don't mind reading a book at a meal or talking to cast members or people watching and actually look forward to doing what I want when I want. But it's a first time for me so any feedback or thoughts would help! :mickey: Thinking of staying at Wilderness Lodge.

Thanks!

DVC2004
07-20-2009, 06:18 PM
A few years ago I had to temporary relocate to FL for a few months for a job. My family could not come with as they had job and school obligations (althugh they did get to visit me one week). I went to WDW alone many times. It was fine- there are plenty of solo travellers. I ate where I wanted and did what I wanted. If you think you may feel awkward, do bring a book as you mentioned. Everyone was very nice and the servers were as well. I never once felt uncomfortable.

Go and enjoy!:mickey:

dizneefan67
07-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Being alone is bad enough, BUT there are good things about it likeyou mentioned. Eating when and wherever you wante is good, and doing whatever you want , when you want is also good. But pesonally, I didn't much care for being solo in The World. You didn't have anyone to share the memories with.
Let me suggest one or two things for you to do i going solo. I found it really fun to grab some popcorn at Epcot and feed the Flamingo's, I then ha a small audience watching and even some little ones. I simply made a little magic myself with the kids by offering some popcorn to help m feed the hungry flamingo's. They were happy to help and they got a kick out of it! Make sure you ask the parents if it is alright with them first. I even think the parents got a happy feeling out of it, to see another guest taking time to make some magic with their kids! Along the same lines, when you are at the M, do some things that don't cost you a penny to help others out andenjoy their vacation...tae a picture, let kids have a seat in front of you during a parade, get fast passes to attractions you wouldno normally go on and when you go back during your FastPass time, give them to someone who is just gttig theirs for a later time, or buy a mickey balloon(s) and give them to kids to make their day more magical!
BASICALLY MAKE A LITTLE MAGIC OF YOUR OWN THAT CAST MEMBERS DO EVERYDAY!

hope this helps and have a good trip!

Will:mickey:

faline
07-20-2009, 07:02 PM
I number of Intercotees have done solo trips to Disney World. There are a number of places where you can dine in a joint setting. What comes to mind right now is Biergarten and Teppan Edo. I believe you can dine at the bar at California Grill. When I'm out alone and dine, I usually bring a book with me as you've suggested.

Pros:
* You get to do what you want when you want
* You get to ride in the single rider lines
* You can make your way through crowds more easily than if you're with a larger group
* You might get pulled out of line for earlier entry on a ride if they need just one more passenger to fill the ride.

Cons:
* You don't have someone to share the trip with on a moment by moment basis.

DVC2004
07-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Sorry- off topic- Dizneefan67 where are the flamingos in Epcot? I dont think I have seen any Flamingos.

faline
07-20-2009, 07:06 PM
The last time I saw Flamingos in Epcot, they were located in the water area just to the left of Mexico if you're facing the Mexican pavilion from the walkway.

DVC2004
07-20-2009, 07:09 PM
The last time I saw Flamingos in Epcot, they were located in the water area just to the left of Mexico if you're facing the Mexican pavilion from the walkway.

Wow I can't believe I never saw them. I will be sure to look for them next trip! Thanks.

Daisy'sMom
07-20-2009, 07:44 PM
I have a very good friend who lives very close to Disney. She is a widow and loves spending the day at the parks. I know she goes at least once a week to a park. She has told me she has met the most interesting people and that she loves going by herself. She did say seeing the families together remind her how alone she is, but since your solo trip is not going to last, that should not be a problem. I think you will have a wonderful time.:mickey:

King Triton
07-20-2009, 09:45 PM
I enjoy traveling with the family; I also enjoy solo trips. When solo, you can do the parks as slow or as fast as you like, get up when you want, quit for the day when you want, eat when you want, etc.

On the solo trips, I find I chat with the CM's more, sit on a bench and people watch more and get in a lot more walking.

Have a great time!

dizneefan67
07-21-2009, 02:03 AM
The flamingo's ar tothe left of Mexico right by the water area beside the first aide/baby area that has the bridges crossing the water from Test Track! At least whe I was working at WDW they were there! The may have FLOWN THE COOP!lol

Will:mickey:

Twinkletoes77705
07-21-2009, 02:22 PM
WOW...a solo trip! I have ALWAYS gone with family. However I ALWAYS think...If I was alone...I could walk around and REALLY look at stuff. I am a looker and I LOVE to take pictures. Yet I drive people CRAZY wanting to stop a take a picture from MANY different angles (from below, from right, from left, from ground) all different angles. So I would think...Wow I get to go at my speed and stare at nothing for as long as I want to. I LOVE the post about making magic for others too....YEAh...pretend you are a cm for a day (not telling people that, but just making magic) YYYEEAAAHH your going to have a BLAST!

alicia524luvstw
07-21-2009, 06:13 PM
I went alone this past March for the buy 4 get 3 free and the $200 gift card. Great deal but, my son and husband were not able to accompany me. Disney is my favorite place to visit and I felt completely safe on my own but I missed my family and came home two nights earlier than planned. Luckily, we are going together in a few weeks. However, I enjoyed having the room all to myself:secret:

KAJUNKING
07-21-2009, 06:31 PM
i have never done a solo trip, but i have done an evening or two solo, and i think i would have no problem with a solo trip

SandmanGStefani24
07-23-2009, 04:48 PM
man let me tell you, I had a BLAST the last two solo trips! While waiting in line or dining can be kinda weird alone, it can be managed. Prime example, rather than eat at a table in the WS, I took my fish and chips and ate at a bench overlooking the lake. A nice view, a cool breeze, and elbow room! Also, cell phones can eat up time alone waiting at a restaurant. Text, surf the web, or worst case call someone.

That aside, its all positives from here. You move quicker alone. You can see exactly what you want, and nothing you don't. Single rider lines are awesome as well.

Main thing, just think about it. Want to shop for a while? Go for it. Need a bathroom break? Or a snack? Or want to ride something twice? It's all you! You're on YOUR schedule, and can do exactly what you want, when you want. And, at the end of the day, you can sprall out all over the bed, because there's nobody to kick! :D Solo trips are excellent! Hope you have a blast!

Mousemates
07-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Cons: * You don't have someone to share the trip with on a moment by moment basis.

However, depending on the speed with which you can text you can alleviate the inability to share the moment with someone. My daughter had a friend go solo this summer...and she texted her throughout the day and felt very much in touch..(my daughter thought it was great too, but she is a true disney beleiver)..so if you have a fellow disneyite to text you can stay in touch and share the moment as much as you want.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-23-2009, 10:01 PM
While I've never actually done a solo trip, I've thought about it. It's some place I know my way around so I'd be comfortable. Having someone to share things with is great. But so is traveling at your own speed and doing only what you want to do, when you want to do it. I'd have no problem going alone.

BluewaterBrad
07-24-2009, 03:29 PM
I have enjoyed myself on the solo trips I have taken. Although I usually have a few too many :beer::beer: when my wife is not around!!:mickey:

Simba's Mom
07-24-2009, 05:26 PM
I'll be taking my tenth solo trip to WDW in a couple months. Although I'm married, DH just isn't as big a WDW fan as me-every couple years is plenty for him. So I go solo in between. I love the conversations I've struck up with the CMs along the way, as well as the conversations with guests who think I work there (if someone's in the park alone, not with family, they must be an employee).

pokci
07-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the responses - feel free to keep the ideas coming! I booked it this morning :thumbsup: and am really looking forward to the trip!! Being mistaken for a cast member is fine with me. I know the parks like the back of my hand so if being able to add to someone's magic is in my power, all the better! :cloud9:

MarkC
07-27-2009, 01:49 PM
If you are like me, you will talk to anyone anywhere about anything. I bet if you start talking to others in line for rides they would welcome it. Let's face it, standing in line talking to family members gets old and kids can start to get into fights (not mine of course). I would relish talking to someone else and find out where they are from, what they're doing, etc.

When are you going to be there? You can always join us for an afternoon if you wish. We will be there from August 1-8.

pokci
07-27-2009, 02:32 PM
The invite is very kind! I try to go, when $$ permits, right after Thanskgiving. It's not crowded, the world is dressed for the holidays and the weather is perfect! And yes, I love striking up conversations with anyone, anytime, anywhere! Thanks!!

mdricks
07-30-2009, 02:40 PM
I would not presume to say it is the best way to see the world however,

You have not fully experienced WDW until you take a solo trip.

From issues of time management to cost effectiveness everything is different on your own. I am consistently amazed at how I can see and do so much in such a short amount of time when I am on my own.

I take a solo every year that I can. I have learned the following....

1. The room is truly irrelevant. Do not get more room than you need. My solos are usually in a value as, unlike family vacations, I spend zero time at the resort. (your aspirations may differ, I have a pool at home)

2. Take time to smell the roses. Particularly the Rose and Crown. I routinely spend hours sitting on the bench right outside the rose and crown with a pleasantly cool blank-n-tan. I have met more people just sitting there letting the world go by.

3. Take your food seriously! As a "one top", you can pretty much get in wherever you want whenever you want. From bar seating to filling up that last seat at the Biergarten I have almost never been turned away even from the busiest of restaurants. (Only once, at Le Cellier)

4. The single rider lines were made for you. they are there for the solo traveler and have no other purpose. (that's my story and im sticking to it) How many other people you know that have ridden every roller coaster 3 times each all in one day? and still have time for the 5 course tasting at the Bistro.

5. You are not alone! You are surrounded by 165,000 of the happiest people on the face of the earth. Say hello to one, you might be surprised. (or look for a gray headed bespectacled middle aged dude drinking a black-n-tan on a bench outside the Rose and Crown, I betcha he's buying!) :beer:

:number1:

kemps@wdw
08-01-2009, 10:10 PM
As a WDW lover, I don't care if I'm there solo or w/the whole dang family, just so I'm there! That being said, I doubt that my DH or DD would allow me to go w/o them! But, if you luv WDW as much as most of us here, you'll have NO problem going solo!:thumbsup:

LilRonGal
08-01-2009, 10:31 PM
I am so tempted to do a solo trip to Disney in early December to see the decorations. My husband thinks I'm crazy for wanting to go to WDW again so soon, but a friend of mine is worried that I'll get attacked or something! I mean, I know bad stuff happens everywhere, but come on!

The idea of going without worrying about the needs of others sounds so indulgently wicked and amazing, that it sounds better every day. I can wait in all the character lines I want and not having someone rolling his eyes at me. I can take a billion pictures and not have to worry about holding someone up, or dealing with people who are hungry and cranky! I am the type of person who can skip meals and not feel any effects until I go way too long, but my husband turns into a bear if he misses one meal. Last year, MissionSpace had a ten minute wait, but he was hungry and growling, so we went all over the place finding food (we didn't know about Sunshine Seasons!) and by the time he was happy, the wait had gone up quite a bit. PLUS I was not about to make the mistake of riding that thing on a full stomach again!

Anyway, what I was saying is that the idea of going solo and being on my own and doing my own thing sounds amazing. But I have to wonder if I'd get lonely.....