PDA

View Full Version : Need some input on feeding a toddler

mudpuppysmom
07-20-2009, 01:35 PM
I have somewhat of a little problem and I need some input from you guys out there!

My son will be 17 months old when we go in October and the problem lies with his being able to eat -- he is allergic to protein. He can eat fruits and veggies but as of right now, that is about it. His gastro dr. is still hopeful that he will grow out of this, but for now he still has issues with many forms of protein including dairy, soy and meat.

My "problem" is that if we want to feed him from buffets -- he won't be able to eat much of what is on them -- my question is do you guys think that if we note this on and ADR's we have that they would put together something for him -- his age would be working against us I would think b/c how much can a little "baby" eat! We would of course pay for him whatever they would charge us as there would be someone working on a meal for him and also the food involved.

I know for older kids and adults that there usually is not a problem, but being that he is younger and doesn't eat THAT much do you think they would accommodate us at the buffets or even at other places?

I'm stressing a little about this, but I hope you guys will put me at ease.

LittleRoosMommy
07-20-2009, 01:54 PM
I think you should definitely call and ask about it. I can't imagine that most places there wouldn't work with you. It's definitely worth a phone call in advance of making your adrs, they may tell you what places can do it and what places can't help you out.

Good Luck!!:mickey:

afowl1017
07-20-2009, 02:01 PM
It is definitely worth calling and asking, but usually the chef's at Disney are pretty used to dealing with request as you have said (it shouldn't matter that he is a little guest). As a mom I can totally understand the anxiety about it. Good luck and hope that the ADR cast members will be helpful! I am sure that it will all work out and that you all will have a wonderful trip, October is a perfect time to head to WDW :mickey:!

Disney Doll
07-20-2009, 02:32 PM
I have always heard that WDW is very accommodating with dining. I would call, but I bet they wouldn't mind. We took DS to Ohana when he was 15 months and even though he was just sharing off our plate they brought him his own ice cream with sprinkles for dessert. We actually thought it was funny because what 15 month old needs a bowl of ice cream the size of his head, but the server said they always bring ice cream for kids since many don't like the bread pudding. I doubt they'd be that concerned about whether or not your son's a paying customer.

diz_girl
07-20-2009, 04:12 PM
From what I understand, Disney is very accommodating of anyone with special dietary needs.

You're probably going to do this already, but if not I would suggest shipping a box of food for him to your resort so that it is waiting for you when you get there. So you can always have something with you if you find yourself in a pinch regarding meals.

DisneyOtaku
07-21-2009, 09:40 AM
While I am sure they would be more than willing to help you out, you should go ahead--call and ask. There's no harm in asking, and besides, better safe than sorry.

mudpuppysmom
07-24-2009, 03:18 PM
I had to call to make an ADR at Kouzzina and when I did I asked her to note that my son had a protein allergy and further inquired about someone his age and whether Disney would be able to accommodate him.

The CM at dining told me that while he IS considered an infant and an eat of an adult plate patron, the chef will make every effort to accommodate us.

I further inquired as to if we wanted to buy his own meal would that be OK as both DH and I CAN eat meat, but sometimes we choose not to, so when we want meat we'll need to purchase DS#2 his own meal.

I was assured that the chef will come out and speak to us when we are seated, so I feel a little better now!

Emme&TeddysMommy
07-24-2009, 03:34 PM
You can send a email to [email protected] and they will be able to help you. They were wonderful when we contacted them about our trip:)

Cinderella's mom
07-24-2009, 05:33 PM
If you or someone in your party has special dietary needs, Disney recommends the following:

All WALT DISNEY WORLDŽ Resort table service restaurants which accept Priority Seating can accommodate special dietary needs (such as allergies to gluten or wheat, shellfish, soy, lactose or milk, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, or eggs).

1. When making an Advance Reservation, alert the Cast Member to your special needs, and they will make a note on the file.

2. Special dietary needs can be accommodated if requested at least 72 hours in advance. The more specific and individual your needs are, the more lead time the restaurant will require!

Now with that being said, since he is not on the meal plan because he is under 3, he can eat off of your plate or the buffet for free. If you need specific numbers of where to reach each park's chef line, PM me and I will send you the numbers. I hope this helps at least some!!!

Septbride2002
07-24-2009, 06:12 PM
Make the call so that they know. Some friends of mine stayed at BWV and two of their children have Juvenile diabetes - their father went to the bakery and asked about what they could eat, what had the most sugar and to avoid etc - the next day when he went down to get coffee the main chef had prepared special pastries and deserts for his children that were sugar free and kept making them through their stay. Talk about freaking magical!

~Amanda