PDA

View Full Version : Pop Century?? 2 Adults??

jaredkari
07-20-2009, 12:32 PM
My wife and I are considering taking a last minute vacation to WDW this August. Now I know August is hotter than hot down there but be plan on taking it easy on this trip. We are looking at staying at Pop Century, we usually like Moderate resort and we stayed at a value once before but with some friends (felt a little crowded). We thought it would be better just the two of us.

I was just wanting others opinions on Pop Century. How are the pools? Are there pools that are less busy than the main pool? How is the food court, bus stops, how is everything?

It'sWDW4me
07-20-2009, 12:46 PM
With just the two of you, the room should be comfortable enough. Since you're going during free dining I hope you realize that the Values are going to be crowded! Otherwise, POP is my favorite - the food court is wonderful; there is only one bus stop (in front of the main building) so I get a preferred room; I love the Hippy Dippy pool even though it does tend to get a bit crowded.

dml
07-20-2009, 12:56 PM
We've stayed at Pop a number of times with four adults, so just two should be perfect. Its always been fine because we are hardly in the room. I agree the food court is great as is the atmosphere! We have never had an issue with the buses either. Its a one stop - single resort line! Have fun!!
:mickey::mickey:

Jasper
07-20-2009, 01:00 PM
If you enjoyed while staying with others you will enjoy it with just the two of you.

From conversations with many different family and friends I have come to realize that your attitude towards the different levels of resorts has a lot to do with your experience. For example, I have a family member who feels that anyone staying in a Value must either be doing it because of their children or because they are too poor to afford anything else. Needless to say the one and only time he stayed at a value he found absolutely EVERYTHING to be wrong with it. Of course, when he then switched to a moderate in the middle of that same trip, EVERYTHING at the moderate was just wonderful and perfect. His wife just loves to laugh and tell this tale because she says nothing went wrong at the value but yet they had several fairly major problems at the moderate resort!

So I would say first of all, examine your attitude towards the various levels of resorts and if you find Values to be a good experience just with fewer "extras" than the higher priced resorts, then you will have a great time at POP. If not, then please do yourself and your companion a favor and stay at a moderate or higher priced resort.

bruin1344
07-20-2009, 01:08 PM
POP is fine. Only drawback for me is the crowded buses.

gnomelady
07-20-2009, 01:33 PM
My best friend ( we went 1st-12 grade) together, did a "girls getaway" last April staying at the POP .W are over 50and loved the POP.! Love all the big icons and seeing all the stuff in the lobby. Brought back lots of memories from our childhood.Stayed in the 50's section bowling pins short walk to the main area. The pool was nice. Being April it wasn't crowed thru the day I'm sure Aug it will be more crowded with the heat.
The room was nice our was on a corner, we liked that. Plenty of room for 2 large suitcases and all the stuff women carry. We did not experience any noise except in the earlier morning someone coming by pulling a suitcase leaving or coming. Did not notice any loud toilet flushing as I have read some folks heard. It was a very nice experience. I think you would really enjoy your stay there. Food court was good and so were the margarites. Have fun!

Wrigley
07-20-2009, 01:40 PM
You should be fine being just 2 adults. My husband and I stayed at POP and had no issues being crowded. We really enjoyed the food court-great variety and very roomy-we always found a seat. The only real issue we had was crowded busses. We went in July, which is always crowded, and we had to stand on nearly every bus ride. But, we expected it to be busy, so we just dealt with it. :mickey:

disneymom15
07-20-2009, 02:03 PM
We've stayed at POP many times, it's our favorite. I've had anywhere from me (solo trip) to me and 3 others in one room on each trip. When we had 4 adults, it was a little crowded. Husband and I have a big 30th anniv trip coming up and have decided to stay at POFQ. We won't hesitate to stay at POP on our future trips. Love POP.

TiggerD
07-20-2009, 03:39 PM
We have stayed at POP 3 times and we love it. Going back in Sept, for free dining and lots of magic. The food court is great, the pools are awesome, and I think you would enjoy them. Have a magical time.:mickey:

GrumpyFan
07-20-2009, 03:50 PM
We've stayed at Pop several times, both with Kids and without, and always enjoyed it. The close proximity to Epcot and DHS makes for short bus rides to/from those parks. The food court isn't too bad, and has several good selections.

We've stayed in the 50s and 70s buildings and had decent luck with rooms. If you're looking for a little more quiet, you might ask for a room facing the lake in the 50s and 70s, or the 60s too. The busses do tend to get pretty crowded at park closing, but that's typical for a lot of the resorts.

The Hippy Dippy pool, in the middle of the 60s buildings, is the biggest and most crowded (and noisiest), followed by the Bowling Pool at the 50s building, then the Computer Pool at the 80s & 90s buildings.

DVC2004
07-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Pop is fine, but it's not my ideal resort to hang out at. We found the pool to be very loud and crowded.We did stay once just us two adults and really only crashed there.

mainemajor
07-20-2009, 07:02 PM
My wife and I have stayed at POP twice and we love it! We are in no hurry to get to the parks first thing in the morning so we would sleep in a bit then grab breakfast from the food court. We never ate brekfast in the food court though, we took it outside and sat poolside. We find this very relaxing. The pools are usually very quiet at this time of day.
The computer and bowling pools seem to be quieter than the main pool.
Another thing we enjoy doing is walk around the resort. It kind of cool reading all the signs and dates of all the pop icons.

Disney Lynn
07-21-2009, 08:25 AM
DH & I stay at the POP unless our DD is going along (then we splurge on a moderate). We usually ask for a room with a King bed, since that gives you more floor space. Also, after one bad experience, we insist on a room NOT facing a pool. The POP pools will be very noisy (all night long) in August. As mentioned above, there are several pools with lounge chairs, tables, umbrellas and chairs, etc. (Pools do not close.)

Also, unless things have changed since December, your room will not have a frig or a coffee maker (we bring a coffeemaker and a cooler). The POP food court is one of the best at WDW. Unfortunately, the bus situation is not the best. We usually rent a car rather than get so frustrated waiting for a bus. We only use the bus for the MK (and even then sometimes we drive).

scooterca42
07-21-2009, 08:46 AM
DH and I have stayed at POP twice, trying an All Stars for a change this time, but we found it perfectly satisfactory. We brought our own breakfast (I make wicked oatcakes, PM me if you want the recipe) so I can't speak to the food court, but the pools are fine.
Anticipate a crowded bus, but no worse than I've found on the TTC busses in Toronto.
Being older than 40, a lot of the large sculptures were of old "friends"!

ransam
07-21-2009, 11:12 AM
I really liked staying there...
the pools are very relaxing.

KAJUNKING
07-21-2009, 12:53 PM
we've stayed at pop a few times and loved it every time, we only recently started staying @ por because we have been bringing my niece with us and you cant have 5 in a room @ pop, other than that we would stay at pop on every trip

BluewaterBrad
07-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Everything is great. Relax,enjoy,and have fun!:mickey:

Ksmith75
07-22-2009, 12:13 PM
We stayed at the POP this year, after staying at the POR the last 2 years. Though not as fancy...we loved the POP. We had a preferred room - it was so close to everything...it was perfect. We will prob stay there next year...cause the savings (about $600.00) is worth it!

MushuGrl
07-23-2009, 11:36 AM
POP is my home resort!!

We've stayed with four adults, and three adults. We never found it to be overcrowded (actually after staying at CBR, I was surprised to find those rooms not much bigger!). The resort in itself is an attraction.

The only problem I've ever found with it was sometimes later in the morning, food court can be crowded and seating might be tough to find. But like MaineMajor said, take it out by the pool, or even back to your room, and you're good! There's even benches by the lake.

I don't have swimmers in my family, so I can't tell you about the pools. I myself have never had any problems with the buses that I didn't have at any other resort. Only one time did I have to wait over ten minutes for a bus. In the evenings you might have to stand or wait for the second bus, but we never had to wait long for #2 to roll in.

The thing I love the most is it gives me what I need - bed, shower, bathroom, TV to watch the weather. I'm not paying extra for stuff I don't need, because from sun up to sun down, I'm in the parks.

ASweetLov
07-23-2009, 12:07 PM
I have stayed at Pop Century twice with just 2 adults and in september will be my third time. To us its very comfortable and we just love the resort. You will be just fine with 2 adults in the room.

SandmanGStefani24
07-23-2009, 04:23 PM
we loved POP! With the time frame, you will see crowding, mainly the food court and check in. Still, we liked the food, and the poolside bar even more! If you stagger your meal times, you can work around the crowds, and even better you can beat the bus ride wait times or crowds by driving to the parks. (WAY better IMO...) The room is small, but you really don't need much, and the beds are comfy. POP is as good for adults as it is kids!
:thumbsup: