PDA

View Full Version : Staying off site mistake?

momof3+twins
07-20-2009, 09:27 AM
We are thinking of staying off site for the first time. With 5 kids, we have to get two rooms and it is just getting to be too expensive.
Has anyone stayed off site in a condo or home? What was it like? Did it compare at all to the Disney experience?
We have been staying at Pop Century and even two rooms there plus meals is just crazy. We spend a fortune! Thanks for your help.

betteratmk
07-20-2009, 09:49 AM
How old are your children if you don't mind me asking? because my answer may be different depending on their ages. BTW, we have 7 so I know how it is to travel in a caravan!!!

ryels
07-20-2009, 09:59 AM
Having stayed both on and off site multiple times, I can definitely say that each has distinct advantages.

We have stayed at All-Star Vacation Homes twice and loved it both times. The houses are wonderful and very clean. They are also very close to the parks. AK is only about 5 minutes away, the rest are 10-15 minutes at the most.

The major thing you miss out on is that you aren't surrounded by Disney stuff all the time. You don't quite get the same feeling that you do while in the world. You also don't have the free transportation (which may be a good thing depending on how the buses are running on a particular day :bang:).

Those are the only downsides, though. You can save a ton of $$ by stocking up at the grocery store and eating most meals at the rental home. Most of them have a private heated pool and whirlpool as well, which is great after a long day at the parks. As long as you don't mind driving to and from the park each day and paying for parking ($13 a day, I think?), it is definitely worthwhile.

I say give it a try and see how you like it. I don't think you'll be disappointed. The only downside is that you'll have to decide which you like better the next time :confused:

Disney Doll
07-20-2009, 10:32 AM
We stayed in a house with All Star vacation homes last time we took an extended family trip and the house was great. I did kind of miss the Disney immersion. Silly things like hearing the ambient music piped outside at the resorts, the themed pools, the Disney channels on resort TV. However, it was more than worth it to have the whole group in one house. We spent more family time together and while we didn't really use the kitchen much we did use the laundry. As much as I like staying onsite, I think vacation homes are a great option for big families.

passholderryan
07-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Try looking up Mike Ditka's Runaway Beach Resort. It's just off of Osceola Pkwy, 2nd exit from Disneys entrance by the Wide World of Sports. It's relatively inexpensive and you get a full kitchen and everything. About a 7-10 minute ride to the parks.

JCDarzi
07-20-2009, 11:13 AM
We struggled with that decision as well on our last trip this Spring. We have usually stayed on site but this last trip we wanted to visit Sea World as well. We stayed at a Hilton Grand Vacations walking distance from Sea World. We were also just a few minutes from WDW as well. The price was nice and we had a very nice room with full kitchen. The pool and amenities were good as well. When the trip was all said and done, we really couldn't decide which we liked better, on site or off site.

I think that just as everyone else has posted, there's pros and cons to each. If you choose nice accommodations outside the park with good amenities, you will probably enjoy the trip just as well with the added bonus of everyone staying together.

On the rental house note, I would get recommendations on choosing the rental company. I've never stayed at an All Stars home but have only seen good recommendations for it on Intercot. I mention this because we used another company one time and had a terrible rental experience. The home was not to our liking and in an area that we felt was not safe. It made for a very bad trip.

Have fun planning your trip.

momof3+twins
07-20-2009, 02:08 PM
My kids are all 12 and under. The youngest are 4 (twins).

GrumpyFan
07-20-2009, 04:02 PM
We've stayed off-property a couple of times and had mixed results. One was just for one night, and we were glad it was just one night. Another was in a Mariott vacation club that slept 6 and was simply incredible for the money, and pretty close to property. We've never stayed in a vacation home, but we've heard others who have and loved it.
We also stayed at the Doubletree Suites at Downtown Disney, which slept 6, and that was a good choice for us because we got a great deal, and they have Disney transportation.

You might also look into the cabins at the Wilderness Campground (http://intercot.com/resorts/disney/fortwilderness/default.asp), or a family suite at All Stars. (http://intercot.com/resorts/disney/allstarmusic/default.asp)

caryrae
07-20-2009, 04:24 PM
We have done both and even though you miss out on the perks for being on-site, staying off site is not that bad. We stayed at one of the many homes in the area and is was very nice. You get multiply bedrooms/bathrooms, living room, full kitchen, washer and dryer, some places you get your own private pool (small but Private) ect. The living room is nice because if some people want to nap they have there own bedroom to rest in and not be disturbed. The one we stayed at also had a big community pool and playground. We had 11 people and it only cost $700 for a week which was very nice.

iheartdisney
07-20-2009, 04:59 PM

You might also look into the cabins at the Wilderness Campground (http://intercot.com/resorts/disney/fortwilderness/default.asp), or a family suite at All Stars. (http://intercot.com/resorts/disney/allstarmusic/default.asp)

Thanks for the info on the family suites at All Stars. I never knew they existed. This is a wonderful option for our family!

betteratmk
07-20-2009, 05:27 PM
My kids are all 12 and under. The youngest are 4 (twins).

We've stayed on and off site, we have twins as well! We've stayed in vacation homes and the Holiday Inn Sunspree off SR 525, there is a Disney entrance about 1/2 mile down the road on the left that leads to all the parks and DTD. The rooms are large with queen sized beds , micro, small refridgerator. They have rooms that are joined and kids stay and eat for free. There are a variety of places to eat nearby and there is also a store that sells basics in the hotel. They run free movies for the kids and the pool area is quite nice. There are plusses and minuses to being off site.Parking has gotten expensive and if the younger ones need to nap it's a pain to go back.If you want to avoid alot of cooking the Sunspree is nice, we used to have a simple breakfast in the room, keep snacks and sanwich stuff at the room and eat out at night, Sometimes in the park and other times on 525, there is an red Lobster and a whole bunch of places( DTD as well!)let us know what you decide!

Lizzie
07-20-2009, 05:49 PM
We also have twins. :mickey:

We stayed off site the first time with kids. But we went with our extended family.

The pros were laundry, made cheap meals, putting the kids to bed and swimming, and having the group together. Oh and the cost was great.

The cons not as immersed in the Disney experience. And getting back for naps was not gonna happen. So we just went all day until they were done.

My husband prefers onsite because than he doesn't have to rent a car and pay attention to drive. Also we have three young kids now all 3 and under and trying to get them and the luggage to a rental car is such a hassel. Its so great for us we get help getting to the airport and than don't see our luggage until we get to the room.

We stayed in the family suite once it was great except you don't get any deals with it. The price is set.

momof3+twins
07-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks for all the input. We don't do naps anymore (well I would like too ). So, that isn't an issue. My big thing is that Disney magic 24/7. Can I live without it? I think I am going to have to or not go to the World. I mean 1800 dollars for passes! Whew!!

Hammer
07-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Thanks for all the input. We don't do naps anymore (well I would like too ). So, that isn't an issue. My big thing is that Disney magic 24/7. Can I live without it? I think I am going to have to or not go to the World. I mean 1800 dollars for passes! Whew!!

I am a firm believer that magic is what you make of it. I think for a family your size, you may enjoy the space that a vacation home would give you (not to mention the cost savings). Check the link to All Star vacation homes to take a look at the homes. Many of them have Disney themed bedrooms (I saw one that had a beautiful Peter Pan/Tinkerbell themed bedroom and bathroom). It is worth a look.

GBBT
07-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Disney Transportation is 1 reason we stay at the World,yes you'd like to pull your hair out sometimes(oops..I'm bald :D),I mean my DW would like to,but as our DS(11) says "just go with the flow".Just nothing like staying at Disney.:cloud9:

tjstrike
07-21-2009, 02:40 AM
Onsite is the only option for us anymore, nothing like the magic 24/7, and the nap I get to take on the bus after a long day at the parks. We have an RV so we stay at FT. wilderness now. The cabins at ft.W are nice, you could also look into the tree house villas. Also try checking out DVC while you're there, it's well worth the money. :D

momof3+twins
07-21-2009, 08:24 AM
OoogieBoogieMan- Windsor Hills is exactly where I am looking. I am looking at a 1400 sq.ft condo for only 700 for the week and I get to bring my dog. The dog pouts when his kids are gone.LOL. Anyway, I am curious about the safety, the trip to Disney from there, and the atmosphere ( pools, palms, etc). Is there a close grocery store, etc.
Thanks so much for your help. I think this will really help with my decision.
And thank you to everyone else for all the advice!!

Madzac
07-21-2009, 12:42 PM
We have stayed onsite in the past, but are planning to go offsite for the first time next trip. We have three kids and are hoping to add one more and it just gets too expensive and even with two rooms for a week it just isnt much space. Also last trip we got really tired of the buses!

I have had several friends stay at Windsor hills recently and have had nothing but good things to say. IT is gated, so quite safe. They loved it there and said they could be out the door and to the parks in 10-15 min tops, less time than often with the buses. They were able to easily take an afternoon break since WH was so close. Yes you have to drive and yes you pay for parking, but it still averages cheaper. They said there are grocery stores and all the restaurants on 192 within minutes. They have many cute condos and townhouses with little splash pools with really cute disney themed rooms for the kids. The one recommended to me is a 3br/3br townhouse with a kids themed room and br and a splash pool, full kitchen for 105/night. We cant stay onsite in less space for less than that, even with parking. And I feel like the theming will help add the disney magic. We will see. I have always been pro onsite, but I want to be able to go! Its hard with a larger family!

PM me if you want the link to these THs!

Jessietoystory2
07-21-2009, 05:04 PM
We usually stay off site and it is just as good. When it is just my husband and I we stay on site. We usually stay at the Vistana Villages or Marriott Grande Vista. The rooms are huge and the pools are wonderful. I think the pools are better than the ones at the Disney resorts. We have a family of 5 and these rooms are perfect. It is better than being cramped in a room or getting two rooms at Disney. You can still get the Disney experience by visiting the hotels. We do it all the time. We go to the boardwalk at night, take a walk around one of the hotels, eat dinner or breakfast at one of the hotels, besides going to the parks. Do what is best for your family and have a good time!! We only have two more days to go and we can not wait!!!

LauraByTheSea
07-21-2009, 06:08 PM
Personally, I suggest off-site, esp with the money you have to shell out for passes... $1800 is a LOT! There are a lot of great resorts out there, too.

I'm fortunate enough to work in hospitality, so I get a great discount at a ton of off-site hotels. I guess you could say then, that money talks... I just can't bring myself to pay for an on-site hotel. I would LOVE to get "the whole package", being surrounded by Disney 24/7, but just can't do it.

snowblack
07-22-2009, 05:06 PM
we stayed at an all star vacation home the last time we went, and we loved it. we went to to the supermarket the first day we got there, and ate breakfast everday except, the day of our reservation at the crystal palace, that saved us alot of money. It was nice to get right into the personal pool and jacuzzi we had after a long day at the parks. not a far drive to the parks, the only thing is having to pay for parking, and not getting to take advantage of the extra magic hours.:mickey::cloud9:

iheartdisney
07-22-2009, 07:38 PM
I'm a little confused. So the All Star vacation homes and the suites at the All Star resorts are not the same thing?

OogieBoogieMan
07-22-2009, 09:11 PM
The All Star resorts are on site hotels at Disney. All Star Vacation Homes rents homes and condos off site.

iheartdisney
07-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks Oogie!

KAT1811
07-24-2009, 10:39 AM
. . . My big thing is that Disney magic 24/7. Can I live without it?

For us we can't live without it. We have four children and I can honestly say that we will never stay offsite. Total immersion in the magic is the only way for us. We had a friend offer us his timeshare just outside WDW for two weeks but DH and I politely declined because it wasn't inside the magic. Plus the car rental offsets the additional cost of staying onsite (IMHO). We also never leave the World but the one time we did we had a car service pick us up and drop us at the park and then come back and get us when we were done. Good luck.