PDA

View Full Version : Low Sodium Diet and Meal Plan?

GusGus80
07-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Hi All,

Liza from Kansas City here, was just writing this quick note on behalf of my dad who has severe hypertension and needs to be on a low sodium diet. The issue is that we are on the meal plan when we get to the "world" on 0804. From what I recall, when on the plan they give you a limited menu and you can't order anything else. Will WDW be able to accomodate us somehow?

Pirate Granny
07-19-2009, 07:45 PM
You should have NO problem...my dad was on a very restricted low sodium diet...when I made my ADR's I was sure to note that 'no sodium'...yep, you read right zero sodium...when we checked in, we reminded our waitstaff...it was wonderful...in almost all instances the chef came to our table to discuss menus...At Jiko, the chef asked what looked good to my dad on the menu...and then promised to prepare a zero sodium meal...and he came back out to check on dessert and tell my dad which desserts had no salt...Disney was our favorite vacation destination as we could always count on the meals staying within Dad's limits. I know, zero sodium...but you have to allow for the sodium that just can't be avoided...and a treat from time to time. I actually had a spreadsheet that tracked Dad's sodium intake each day, along with his weight (no scales at disney, we would drive to the local grocery store, and lo and behold all the seniors would be lined up to step on the scale inside the doors--very cute). I'm sure this gave my dad a few extra months, perhaps a year...and it was worth it...smile...I have so many happy memories of my dad and meals at disney. And he loved how he was fussed over.
:pirate:

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-19-2009, 08:20 PM
The dining plan has very few restrictions. In general, you can order anything off the menu. Disney is just wonderful with food restrictions, they bend over backwards to make sure allergies/medical issues are taken care of.

Be sure to note the restriction when you make the ADR, and again when you check-in, but you won't have any issues at all finding great things to eat.

LibertyTreeGal
07-21-2009, 02:40 PM
It is really easy just to say, "no added salt."

I have hypertension and just told them I needed them to nix on adding more salt to the meals and I was fine. Just make sure he is taking his meds and not having the caffeine (which is WAY WORSE for hypertension than sodium)