PDA

View Full Version : Dining with food allergy help

Bubbie Girl
07-18-2009, 04:11 PM
We are planning a wdw trip next year and will have our little guy who will be 2 with us he has severe peanut and tree nut and egg allergies. has anyone ever traveled to wdw with any of these allergies and how did you handle all the eating out? We are very careful here at home but eating out presents some trials we usually take his food but this might be harder on a long vacation. We also have to be very careful about cross contamination for instance if someone eating before us had peanut butter and any is left on the tables or chairs etc. I know it sounds perinoid but he could get deathly sick from that. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks much.

jmj18
07-18-2009, 04:39 PM
My son has a peanut allergy as well.

This past April was the first trip to Disney since we found out. We just let the waiters/waitress know in each of the restaurants we were eating in. Usually the chef came out to talk to us. We had no issues at all.

Have a great trip.

Disney1977
07-18-2009, 04:52 PM
My husband has Celiac Sprue which is an intolerance to wheat. When I made our dinner reservation I had them note it for each restaurant. Then you can follow up with a cast member that specializes in food allergies. In January their e-mail address was [email protected]. You can also find a link at disney.com

Have a great trip.

MomTo3Tiggers
07-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Of the five of us in our family, we have:
1 - gluten intolerant plus a few other oddities (me)
1 - dairy allergic child
1 - dairy, peanut, nut, sesame allergic child
2 - Omnivores (DH and DS)

Disney is pretty much the only place I allow to feed my kids after total lack of trust in human error. They get it. Contact the e-mail address listed above, and they will send you great handouts plus respond to individual questions.

MomTo3Tiggers
07-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Shoot - forgot to add that I bring baby wipes to clean the counter service tables myself. At the counter service tables, the manager will speak to you about your special needs and the chef will at the sit down restaurants. In the past, they were also the people who brought us the special orders so we all were sure there were no mistakes.

Bubbie Girl
07-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Thanks so much everyone. It is so scarey when you have and allergy to food that can make you very sick or worse. I really appreciate all the info.:thumbsup:

merlinmagic4
07-27-2009, 11:53 AM
I would suggest you contact WDW Special Diets. They will give you loads of information and have you fill out forms to send back to them with the places/dates/times of your ADRs. The chefs will come out and help you with your selections. Good luck!

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/common/guestServicesDetail?id=GuestServicesSpecialDietary DetailPage&bhcp=1

kcrc
07-28-2009, 10:03 AM
My son has a peanut allergy too. Disney is the one place we feel so comfortable letting him eat. Every place from the nicest table services to the snack stands are accomodating. They all have ingredient lists for all of the products they sell. The chefs and managers are so very helpful. We've had them go out of their way to make special desserts that were safe or bring bread to the table that was safe for all. I can't imagine spending a vacation anywhere else!

mamof2
09-25-2009, 07:50 AM
:cloud9:We just got back from a week in Disney World with our 2 grandkids 2 & 5 with allergies to soy, milk, and egg. We and their parents were so apprehensive because we had never taken them anywhere without packing all their food. Their mom called ahead as suggested and made all our dining reservations 3 months in advance Chefs called her to discuss the allergies and to make suggestions on foods they could have From our first dining session there, we were put at ease as the chef appeared and discussed everything and decided on a meal for them He even checked back and when he found that the kids didnt care for one of the items, he prepared it again differently! We will definitely make WDW a vacation spot for the family from now on. All of us had a great time and having that burden lifted made it well worth while They truly do care

Mickey'sGirl
09-25-2009, 08:16 AM
That is fabulous! I am so glad it worked out so well for your family! :thumbsup:

Bubbie Girl
10-06-2009, 05:29 PM
This is so good to hear. I will relax a bit on this now. He is not a big eater and right now when we go out to eat I pretty much take his food. I also wipe down the high chair and table, you just can't take any chances on what was eaten on it before him. I was glad to read that others of you do that to. Thanks for all the help and encouragement we are only 4 months into the whole allergy thing. Now I will start picking out our dining choices!!! Planning the Disney vacation is so much fun.:cloud9: