PDA

View Full Version : Checked luggage or carry-ons?

Snow's Mom
07-17-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm trying to decide if my family of 3 can fit enough summer clothes into 3 wheeled carry-ons, or if we should check a bigger bag and take smaller stuff on the plane. Has anyone managed to fit all of their stuff into one carry on bag? Will there be room for all three of us to stuff our bags into overhead compartments?

The downside is the travel restrictions on liquids. The upside is not waiting for luggage. We had a bag get lost on our last trip home and although it eventually made it home, we spent an extra hour in the airport filling out a claim.

What do you think?:)

sara114
07-17-2009, 08:14 PM
You didn't say how old parties involved are or how long you are staying......I think that if you are staying for a short period of time, you could manage to squeeze into the carry on's....but that is the bare necessary items and no room for bringing anything back.
I don't pack shampoo or soap, I just use what is supplied at hotel. If you share tube of toothpaste, use sample size deo, and etc....and smart pack(fill up shoes with small items in suitcase)

Pirate Granny
07-17-2009, 08:24 PM
GROAN...i hate to be rude, but since the airlines starting charging for luggage I'm shocked at how much stuff people try to carry on. I once saw a family of three carry on ten pieces of 'stuff'. I'm shocked that the agents at the gate allow people to walk through with three/four carry-on bags for each person...I'm shocked that those people complain when they can't find space in the overhead compartments to store all their luggage. And mostly I'm disappointed when people carry on luggage that they know won't fit in the overhead or under their seat and the flight attendants gladly gate check their bag free of charge...the grins on the passenger face (beating the system) is hard to take.
:mad::confused:

Snow's Mom
07-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Pirate Granny, that's what I'm worried about. We'd each take one carry on under the required 55" for Airtran, plus a purse or laptop. But I've never been on a plane where I didn't end up with my small bag under my feet because the overhead bins were already full when I got there.

We can downsize our carry-ons and check a bag, but it will mean more time at the airport and less in the parks. And we won't be able to buy anything! I'm still torn.

mainemajor
07-17-2009, 08:47 PM
GROAN...i hate to be rude, but since the airlines starting charging for luggage I'm shocked at how much stuff people try to carry on. I once saw a family of three carry on ten pieces of 'stuff'. I'm shocked that the agents at the gate allow people to walk through with three/four carry-on bags for each person...I'm shocked that those people complain when they can't find space in the overhead compartments to store all their luggage. And mostly I'm disappointed when people carry on luggage that they know won't fit in the overhead or under their seat and the flight attendants gladly gate check their bag free of charge...the grins on the passenger face (beating the system) is hard to take.
:mad::confused:

This has also cause a lot longer time for the bording process as most everyone searches for the last bit of space for their "carry-on" bag.

DisneyWFan
07-18-2009, 07:57 AM
you didn't say what Airline you are going down on. Depending on which one you are using there might not be any bagge fee ( if they do you would have to prepay it) and they might participate in Magical Express if they do Disney will check your baggage and you would still catch the bus at the same time you just check you bags at the hotel

sisterslovindisney
07-18-2009, 10:13 AM
I haven't personally done it - but I read a lot on here about people shipping things to their resort prior to arrival. It seems to work really well, is cheaper, and I haven't read any problems with it.I will probably give it a try for our Jan. trip. if we decide to fly. We may also order stuff from garden grocer once we get their and have it delivered.

Snow's Mom
07-18-2009, 10:35 AM
We're flying Air Tran, so checked luggage is $15 for the first bag. That's not really the problem. I just like the idea of taking the bags with us and not having the hassle.

Also, no ME, we're staying at the Swan. And no mailing packages, as our trip starts Wednesday!

I guess I'll lay everything out and see how much stuff we have and what we'd have to leave behind if we didn't check a bag, then wait to see if anyone else weighs in with their views.

nicster
07-18-2009, 11:17 AM
You can always take advantage of the laundry/dry-cleaning services they offer at the resort. Bring half the clothing that you will need, and have it cleaned for you. It doesn't cost all that much, and you know they say we wear 20% of our clothing 80% of the time, so repeating an outfit or two is no big deal.

VWL Mom
07-18-2009, 11:30 AM
We take carry-ons but I do have to do laundry while we are there for 7 days. We have the small pilots cases (measure 23 x 10 x 12) and they fit perfectly. As far as the liquids, remember each person can have their own quart size bag so my boys get to carry my overflow.

nicster
07-18-2009, 11:59 AM
...As far as the liquids, remember each person can have their own quart size bag so my boys get to carry my overflow.
DH gets mine... it's a good system!

I LoveJack
07-18-2009, 09:49 PM
I'm trying to downsize from 4 carry ons and 2 checked to 3 carry ons and 1 checked. :mickey:
We, me & 2dds, are going to MNSSHP (twice) and all dressing up (twice) so that makes it twice as hard. Plus the youngest has several outfits for the different characters while we are there anyways. I recently bought those bags that you sqwish the air out of to get more stuff in them and that helps some. But I'm still afraid that I'll run out of room bringing stuff back home.:)

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-18-2009, 11:07 PM
If you are renting a car, one person can go take care of that while the other waits for the checked bag. That way you really aren't losing any time.

Seasonscraps
07-18-2009, 11:23 PM
I can go either way...

Checking is nice because you don't have to lug all that stuff through the airport, keep an eye on all of it, find places on the plane for it, etc. Plus you don't have to worry about the liquid restrictions and you can pick up souveniers and not worry about luggage space.

Except for one flight from Vegas to NYC, I never waited more then 15 minutes for the bags to come out. That's really not that much time in the grand scheme of things.

When I travel alone, I carry on. I am a very light packer and can easily get 5 or so days in a medium sized tote bag that easily fits overhead but could go under the seat in a pinch. My DH overpacks and likes to bring his laptop and big camera which takes up two carry ons so I always end up checking when I travel with him.

Have a great trip!!

happy day
07-19-2009, 10:39 AM
We only do carry on. We travel light, and then have no problem with lost luggage, or ruined luggage. One winter we checked our bags in, and due to the doors of the plane freezing, they had to spray the doors to deice them, and all of our clothes were ruined.

Snow's Mom
07-19-2009, 11:22 AM
We're compromising. Taking a wheeled carry on each for the trip out, well within the size limits. One of the bags expands a bit, so we can stuff it full of dirty clothes and check it on the way back. I can't believe I got everything into three small bags! Then again, shorts and tank tops don't take up a lot of space.

We'll try to board as soon as they will let us so we can find space close to our seats.

Cinderella's Lady in Waiting
07-19-2009, 04:16 PM
We always check luggage! Personally I don't see the big deal of standing by a luggage carousel for 20 minutes waiting for our suitcases:confused:. We're on vacation and we don't start it by stressing about a 20 min. wait. We pack as much as we want and always have room for souvenirs :thumbsup:. 10 trips and never lost luggage....thank-you Southwest!

Wishmaker
07-20-2009, 06:40 AM
We always check luggage! Personally I don't see the big deal of standing by a luggage carousel for 20 minutes waiting for our suitcases:confused:. We're on vacation and we don't start it by stressing about a 20 min. wait. We pack as much as we want and always have room for souvenirs :thumbsup:. 10 trips and never lost luggage....thank-you Southwest!

Personally I don't want to pay to check my luggage. Due to that change we are only going for a few days I don't see any reason at all to pay that extra price. standing by the carousel doesn't bother me either.

BMan62
07-20-2009, 08:19 AM
You are going to see charges for carry ons soon! A large number of people try to beat the system by bringing large (just at or below the limit) carry ons and are jamming the overhead bins, to the point that there are some who must have their bags at their feet, making for a possibly dangerous situation in the event of an emergency.

Combine as much as you can in one large checked bag and pay the $15.

Seasonscraps
07-20-2009, 09:45 AM
You are going to see charges for carry ons soon! A large number of people try to beat the system by bringing large (just at or below the limit) carry ons and are jamming the overhead bins, to the point that there are some who must have their bags at their feet, making for a possibly dangerous situation in the event of an emergency.

I almost wish they would but would prefer stricter limits to what passengers can carry on. People bring sooooooo much as carry on now the security lines are longer and it takes longer to board because they search and scramble for overhead space.

(sorry for the off topic vent :blush: )

VWL Mom
07-20-2009, 09:53 AM

Don't forget to weigh your bag or be subject to overweight luggage charge. Couple in front of us had 2 bags, one was 56 pounds...were subject to a $90 fee but managed to move stuff around. 50 lb limit on DL.

Disney Doll
07-20-2009, 11:04 AM
This is exactly why I love Southwest! No baggage fee. We get 2 checked bags per ticketed passenger and we never stress about packing. I have never had a bag lost or damaged by SW and they are always pretty quick at the baggage claim. Honestly, I'd rather check what I can and avoid the carry-on hassle. I agree that people have gotten a little ridiculous with their carry-ons and it really does slow down the process for everyone.

hokies4life
07-20-2009, 01:46 PM
I agree with checking luggage. We usually try to fly Southwest when we do fly and wouldn't have to pay the fees. The last time we flew it was paid for by the government so we weren't worried about the fees since they were already taken care of. But please, Please, PLEASE make sure your bag is within your chosen airline's limits. When on our 5 flights to/from Hawaii in June, we saw SO many people trying to put bags that were far too big into the overhead bins and then saying its the airlines fault their bag doesn't fit when their bag is obviously over the limits. I don't know why the workers at the gate didn't say something to them. Another tip, make sure you put your purse or laptop at your feet, along with any other smaller items. There were many people putting their small carryons in the over head bins which took up space for other peoples items. If you have space at your feet and are able to put something there, (barring those with a need to have their foot space free for certain medical purposes or something) make sure you utilize it. Ok, just my opinion from observations, and it sounds like you have all your bags under control, but just wanted to share for others as well.

:chipdale:

Snow's Mom
07-21-2009, 01:53 PM
We always use the space under our seats, rarely the overhead bins. Suitcases will have to go above this time, but nothing else.

Shouldn't be a problem flying to Orlando, as our airport terminal is really small. Flying back, as I said before, we'll probably check the largest bag and hope that it follows us home.

I don't know which was harder, getting everything into the suitcases or getting all of our liquids into those little plastic bags! :)

Tez
07-31-2009, 12:26 PM
Depends on if everyone can handle their own carry -on bag. One of my pet peeves is people that need help with their carry-on bag.

I think everyone is trying to get more in their carry-on and it is becoming an issue that we will all soon have to pay for.

The other thing is that if you check a bag it will lighten the load for people to handle their own carry-on and also you will have room for purchases!

WDWCrazyKaren
07-31-2009, 02:00 PM
We talked about this last night too. We've decided to take 2 suitcases for the four of us. Since it's an 8 day trip, we've decided we'll each take four changes of clothes and we'll just have to spend a few (hardship, I know) hours by the pool and do some laundry. It's the one place in all of this great world of ours, that I don't mind tossing a load of clothes in the wash!

We'll have to each bring a carry on (which normally we wouldn't) and stuff an extra pair of shorts, t-shirt and shoes into a bag to save some suitcase space. If we have enough room (these are not big carry ons) we'll toss the hair dryer and curling iron in them, just for more room in the suitcases. We may be daydreaming and have to take 3 suitcases, but I'm pretty sure we won't need 4. We can do it! We're an industrious lot!

DisneyorBust
07-31-2009, 03:12 PM
Working at an airport, I have heard from airline reps that folks trying to by-pass the baggage fees by taking the bags to the gate and checking them are being charged the same as at the ticket counter. The airlines will make sure they get there crazy baggage fees!

caryrae
07-31-2009, 04:46 PM
We're on vacation and we don't start it by stressing about a 20 min. wait.

Just think some people will wait 6 times longer then that for some Park attarctions, maybe even longer.