PDA

View Full Version : Room Microwaves

mouseneer
07-17-2009, 02:21 AM
Does anyone think that Disney will eventually put fridges and microwaves in the resort rooms ? We've paid the extra charge for having the fridge, but microwaves aren't even available for most resorts. Most off-site hotels have them both for no additional charge. Wouldn't you think Disney would have them since they're usually head and shoulders above outside hotels. It would be a huge convienence.

CleveRocks
07-17-2009, 04:43 AM
ALL rooms at Moderate and Deluxe resorts already have fridges as standard equipment.

Just a guess, but I'll hypothesize that Disney doesn't offer microwaves in rooms because it would cut into their bottom line ... as an entire vacation resort (rather than just a single hotel property), they make a lot of their profit from food service. If they gave guests more opportunity to fix meals in their rooms, they'd probably spend less money buying meals in the food courts, restaurants and parks. Just a guess.

Related to this is the idea that Disney doesn't want you in the room, they want you out to spend money. The more comfortably and homey they make your room, the less time you might spend outside the room, and thus you'd have less opportunity to spend money. This may sound trivial, but business/finance people earn big salaries figuring this stuff out. I'm just making up these numbers to provide an illustration, but if having a microwave in the room would keep you in your room 5% longer than without one, you might spend 3% less money on meals than you'd spend without one, and that 3% multiplied by tens of millions of guests every year will translate into multi-milions of dollars.

Like I said, just a guess ....

mouseneer
07-17-2009, 05:10 AM
Well, I figured it has to do with getting you out to the food court,etc. But what I'm saying is that alot of families looking for a place to stay in Orlando area look specifically for rooms with micro.'s and fridges. I figure Disney Resorts would bring in many more families if they offered these two appliances. They might lose a little on food service, but they should more than make up for it by having more rooms full. What's the lesser of two evils ?

Seasonscraps
07-17-2009, 06:15 AM
Disney does quite well without offering services that are standard in most other hotels because they are really selling access to the MAGIC 24/7. They don't need microwaves, wireless internet in the rooms, movies channels, etc. in order to fill their rooms.

mouseneer
07-17-2009, 06:37 AM
I guess you're right.....Disney could put up a kwanza hut with two rows of cots and call it a resort. It would be booked solid by people wanting the 'DisneyMagic'.

TammiMcMan
07-17-2009, 10:27 AM
They do have rooms with microwaves, if you're willing to pay more. You can book a family suite, villa or cabin.

My guess is that you'll never see them in the standard rooms. I don't know how many total rooms there are in the entire complex, but the cost of maintaining a microwave in every room is definitely going to cut into their bottom line. They tried the computer terminals in the CR and took them out after a year for that very reason. It was just too much money to maintain them and that was only one resort.

BMan62
07-17-2009, 11:22 AM
I guess you're right.....Disney could put up a kwanza hut with two rows of cots and call it a resort. It would be booked solid by people wanting the 'DisneyMagic'.

I believe you meant "quonset" hut, not "kwanza." Kwanzaa is the African American celebration around the end of December. :thedolls:

Just picking!!! ;)

To the OP: As stated before, only Value Resorts are without mini-fridges in the rooms. Microwaves may be a fire hazard and could cost Disney $$$ on their insurance, so I don't see that happening too soon. At least they have microwaves available in the Cabins and Food Courts.

KatMark
07-17-2009, 02:44 PM
The CSR does have some microwaves available. You have to request it when checking in...it is first come, first served.

Granny Jill A
07-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Microwaves may be a fire hazard.....

Not to mention the problem of getting the smell of pepperoni pizza or microwave popcorn out of the room? :D

Magic Smiles
07-17-2009, 09:10 PM
There is a microwave in the food court of the POFQ, that you can use when staying at the POFQ. They also have refrigerators in the rooms. But then, who cooks on vacation? NOT ME!:blush:

crazypoohbear
07-17-2009, 11:28 PM
I would stay in the quonset huts in a heart beat~
It would bring back childhood memories!!
We "aquired" a huge marine tent in Okinawa and when we moved stateside and had room to put it up we put it in the field behind our house/grandmother houses ( kind of like a big lawn surronded by homes on all sides) and had about 30 neighborhood kids at any given time sleeping out there. It was awesome.
I dont' see them putting in microwaves any time soon.
the liability would be cost prohibitive
plus more people would bring more food, which would cut into Disney's bottom line.
In the real world it would be great because we are all suffering in this economy, but disney is suffering as well and doesn't want to cut into their profits any further as well.

nicster
07-18-2009, 12:15 AM
Great idea, not likely.

mouseneer
07-18-2009, 12:23 AM
Yeah, I know I spelled it wrong....unless you're in the business of selling them it's just not a word that you write with frequency ;)

jonahbear2006
07-21-2009, 01:00 AM
can you bring your own microwave and use it in the room?

CleveRocks
07-21-2009, 07:44 AM
Disney says NO.