PDA

View Full Version : 180 Day ADRs Returning?

DizneyFreak2002
07-16-2009, 10:27 PM
{Some other sites} are reporting that 180 day ADR's may be returning due to complaints from guests...

I for one hate this idea... I mean, 6 months out is really terrible to plan dining... Especially if they don't release park hours 6 months in advance.... I think 90 days out is a lot better...

Your thoughts???

brian2000boston
07-16-2009, 10:37 PM
i think 90 days is great too! The truth is, does it matter if it is 90 or 180? as long as they keep in consistent then you always have a fair shot. Why change it again? I say leave well enough alone.

plus, 90 days gives us the most recent updates on food quality! :ack:

Gregandmel
07-16-2009, 10:39 PM
I would imagine a lot of changing ends up happening with the 180 day rule since the park hours don't come out until 90 prior....people booking, then canceling if they change their park plans for that day. I had heard that rumor as well and we'll see what happens.

JPL
07-17-2009, 12:38 AM
The coplaints you are talking are now all in the past. The problem was how the change from 180 days to 90 days took place. It was my understanding that the rule change happened on a certain date which excluded people from making their resrvations while other who booked earlier and fell under the 180 day rule already had their done for the same time period. It was poorly executed on Disney's part now it just needs to level like it has been doing.

hardingella
07-17-2009, 06:12 AM
When i phoned a few weeks ago to book our holiday i was told although it was still 90 days to book ADRs and preffered viewing, to keep checking because it could change at some point.
What if it does change and i miss it, leave well alone i say.

elmjimmlm
07-17-2009, 08:53 AM
I didn't really like it when it changed from 180 to 90 but what difference does it really make? No matter how many days out you are, you still have to do it if you want in anywhere...I wish that it could be easier to just get there then decide day to day where you want to go and not have to pre-plan what you are doing 3 mths. in advance...

GothMickey
07-17-2009, 11:19 AM
The days long ago when you could just walk up to a restaurant and get a seat are long gone I am afraid. The days of walking to a kiosk and talking to a TV monitor with a dining CM on the other end are long gone too. Making ADRs 180 days, 6 months in advance is really a hassle and uncalled for in my honest opinion. I think 90 days out is much better. It also does not matter if you book 90 or 180 days out because with this free dining program, none of the popular places will be available anyway.

Leave it at 90 and let's be done.

FriendsofMickey
07-17-2009, 11:32 AM
I guess I am in the minority, but I loved making ADRs 180 days out. Of course, they used to also have the calendar out at 180 days also.
So, if they were going to change it, then they would need to change the calendar out as well.

Mostly I liked it 180 days out for the advantage it gave to those who have their vacations planned a year in advance (or 6 months in advance). The advantage it gave is that a lot of people do not know when they want to go at 6 months out. They do not even know if they want to go to Disney. But, by 3 months out, most people are ready to start planning. Therefore, it is harder for us early planners to get the dining we want... I hope that makes sense.

With all that said, I do not really mind 90 days, but I do miss 180 days.

BMan62
07-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Why not make it 30 days and one day at a time?

That way those who make reservations are pretty much guaranteed to at least be on WDW property as the 45 day cancellation period would be over.

That would also make it more sure that the restaurant will even be open (see Spoodles/Kouzzina.)

When it comes right down to it, the number of days prior to arrival for making ADRs is arbitrary, at best.

IMHO:
Park Hours, which I believe to be more important, should be posted no less than 3 calendar months in advance and should include all 'park closing' shows/after hours parties/EMH's/etc. -- dining should be no more than 45 days out, agreeing with the reservation cancellation policies.

nicster
07-17-2009, 11:47 AM
Nooooooooooo! I never have the chance to book my trip 180 days out, the 90 day rule made it more equal opp for me!!

GothMickey
07-17-2009, 11:51 AM
I guess I am in the minority, but I loved making ADRs 180 days out. Of course, they used to also have the calendar out at 180 days also.
So, if they were going to change it, then they would need to change the calendar out as well.

Mostly I liked it 180 days out for the advantage it gave to those who have their vacations planned a year in advance (or 6 months in advance). The advantage it gave is that a lot of people do not know when they want to go at 6 months out. They do not even know if they want to go to Disney. But, by 3 months out, most people are ready to start planning. Therefore, it is harder for us early planners to get the dining we want... I hope that makes sense.

With all that said, I do not really mind 90 days, but I do miss 180 days.

You hit it right on the head. Disney was seeing a trend of people booking trips closer to their actual travel date, and no longer a year in advance. Supposedly this is why the ADR time frame was changed to 90 days. 90 days, as you said, gives more people a chance to book dining. 180 days will shut a lot of guests out, and in my opinion, that just isn't right.

JPL
07-17-2009, 11:56 AM
90 days out is plenty of time. I know some people who decided not to take a trip when it was at 180 days because they knew they couldn't get any dining reservations they wanted since their trip was sooned than 180 days. Most people know they are going to WDW at least 90 days out which makes it fair to almost everyone.

I wish Disney would go back to their 80% of seating reserved for ADRs and 20% percent reserved for walk ups policy.

GothMickey
07-17-2009, 12:37 PM
I wish Disney would go back to their 80% of seating reserved for ADRs and 20% percent reserved for walk ups policy.

I do too, but, this is all about maximizing profits despite the burden it places on guests. After all, Disney cares only about their stock price, shareholders and their bottom line, not the guests.

xipetotec
07-17-2009, 04:22 PM
{Some other sites} are reporting that 180 day ADR's may be returning due to complaints from guests...

I for one hate this idea... I mean, 6 months out is really terrible to plan dining... Especially if they don't release park hours 6 months in advance.... I think 90 days out is a lot better...

Your thoughts???

Well for me it's all about Park Hours ( so in a way, I agree with you ). I don't like booking meals when I don't even know what will be open when ( and we like EMH too, so that has an impact ). So 90 days is just fine by us.

iheartdisney
07-17-2009, 04:51 PM
Even me, a compulsive planner, prefers 90 day ADRs. 180 days out to plan your meals (thus, park choices for the day) is ridiculous. And while "I" know to plan that far in advance I really feel for the newbies who save, save, save for their possibly once in a lifetime trip to WDW and then get shut out of every TS restaurant.

pluto 77
07-18-2009, 12:14 AM
IMHO:
Park Hours, which I believe to be more important, should be posted no less than 3 calendar months in advance and should include all 'park closing' shows/after hours parties/EMH's/etc. -- dining should be no more than 45 days out, agreeing with the reservation cancellation policies.
I completely agree with this! Recently I had to make my dining reservations and when I went to check the parks calendars, they were not yet completed. This did not make me very happy! We wound up changing some of our adrs because we wanted to see fantasmic and spectro magic and didn't know when they would be taking place. Thankfully though we were still able to get in everywhere we wanted :)

BluewaterBrad
07-19-2009, 02:48 PM
I like the 90 days better.:mickey:

Dsnygirl
07-19-2009, 10:22 PM
I also like the 90 days better... as nice as it was to be able to enjoy planning 180 days out, I wasn't always sure myself of exactly what we were going to be doing reservation-wise, let alone eating!! Now, being 3 months out and having the calendar that much closer to our actual dates, it gives me a much better of what we want to be doing, rather than trying to think out 6 months from now. I hope they keep it as it is!

The Joker
07-20-2009, 08:33 AM
I don't care that much about 180 days or 90 days. I believe it's more important that Disney reduces the number of no-shows, because I think that number will rise as a result from the online ADR system. People are making multiple ADR's for the same time-slot, keeping their options open. Maybe it's time that Disney starts charging a small fee for an ADR (app. $2), which can be deducted from the bill or reimbursed if the ADR is cancelled within a certain time frame.

Carolanne
07-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Like a PP said: I don't mind the 90 days, but I do miss 180 days. I'm also in the minority, but I am the person that knows where she wants to eat 180 days in advance.

A few weeks ago I called exactly 90 days from my check-in day, and I really didn't get what I wanted both restaurant & time-wise. This made me long for the 180 days time-frame that much more.

Disney Doll
07-20-2009, 11:35 AM
I did like the 180 days, but 90 days has been okay too. I agree that the most important thing is park hours. Park hours need to be out by the time your dining window opens.

Bethanymouse
07-21-2009, 12:43 AM
I hate the 90 day ADR time. I would much prefer the 180 day mark. We plan way ahead of time so this fits our family perfectly. We had a difficult time getting our choice of eateries at the 90 day mark. It was ridiculous and took me hours on the phone....

lockedoutlogic
07-23-2009, 03:39 PM
3 months is more than adequate to book a meal.

and it's more fair....because let's be honest....many travelers don't have the time to stalk WDW dine six months outs....

It always seemed to me that the 180 day window thing was highly advantageous to the frequent return visitor (i am one)

I don't need the advantage...i'll line up with everyone else:mickey:

TheRustyScupper
07-23-2009, 04:33 PM
1) The 90-day rule was not instituted
. . . due to guest demand
. . . because people book closer to their vacation dates
. . . as a result of guest surveys
2) The 90-day rule was put in as a cost reduction.
3) With 90 vs 180 days, there is a huge manpower savings.
. . . less wasted manpower on phones
. . . the calls are more concentrated instead of spread out
. . . there are less calls to change ADR's as people change their minds
. . . with full bookings, there is less chances of altered ADR's
4) There were lots of positions reduced from dining due to 90-days
. . . reservation center CM's
. . . work-at-home contractors

Celestria
08-01-2009, 07:43 PM
1) The 90-day rule was not instituted
. . . due to guest demand
. . . because people book closer to their vacation dates
. . . as a result of guest surveys
2) The 90-day rule was put in as a cost reduction.
3) With 90 vs 180 days, there is a huge manpower savings.
. . . less wasted manpower on phones
. . . the calls are more concentrated instead of spread out
. . . there are less calls to change ADR's as people change their minds
. . . with full bookings, there is less chances of altered ADR's
4) There were lots of positions reduced from dining due to 90-days
. . . reservation center CM's
. . . work-at-home contractors

Wow, were did you get that from?? completely understandable, but there is one thing i don't like about the reservation system....

Having to say "reservation" "yes" "no" especially when the phone mixed up my yes and no once!