PDA

View Full Version : A different view on those magical upgrades...

Jen C.
07-16-2009, 07:53 PM
My family of 5, makes annual visits to WDW. We typically travel in the early fall, and have been fortunate enought to take advantage of free dining promos in the past, or discounted room rates, etc.

We have only ever stayed on deluxe properties. We typically book a room, club level. Very often, such as at BC, we book deluxe room, club level. It is of course, more expensive, yet to us worth it. We may make sacrifices elsewhere to save the money to travel to WDW this way, but we do it. It is our choice. PLEASE don't get me wrong. I am truly happy when my fellow disney fanatics score great upgrades, but with my most recent ressie, I have found myself a little um...

I do not believe in asking for upgrades. To each their own of course. I believe in reserving and paying for the room you want. We do this. I can't help though, but have my feathers ruffled "a little" when I hear of someone paying significantly less money than I, and staying in the same~or better accomodations. I liken it to how one would feel if they just purchased and paid for a new car, and as they started it up, saw someone else leave the lot with the same thing for a LOT less money just "because".

Anyone share my feelings?

Jen C.
07-16-2009, 07:55 PM
I should elaborate a little further and share that of course, like most Americans, the economy has caused us to not be doing as well this year financially, as we were last year. We can still afford to travel, pay cash, and have our emergency fund safe and sound. But if I am choosing to spend our hard earned money this way, I am feeling a little more possesive of the "you get what you pay for" . You know?

I know why WDW does it. That's not what bothers me. I realize it is to get more people to spend their money next timeon those types of accomodations. But at what point will people start to say, "I'm not going to pay for this this time, because I have a decent chance of getting it for free?"

DVC2004
07-16-2009, 08:39 PM
Prior to joining DVC, we always stayed at Deluxe and never asked for or received an upgrade. As DVC members staying on our points, we certainly have never received an upgrade. I didn't even think Disney gave upgrades unless some mistake or overbooking was made.

I guess if someone wants to ask there's nothing stopping them really. Are upgrades something that Disney does?

gerald72
07-16-2009, 08:45 PM
So someone shouldn't feed the homeless, because you had to pay for your full stomach?

faline
07-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Occasionally, Disney has upgraded folks. On our first trip to Disneyland, we were upgraded to concierge level (of course we were only staying one night in that hotel). We've never received a major upgrade at Disney World. However, we did stay club level last year and spoke with other folks who had been very unhappy with their original room assignment (I forget what their issues were) and had been upgraded to Club Level.

Yes, people randomly get upgraded. For the mot part, though, I think most people end up with wht they paid for.

PetefromRI
07-16-2009, 08:48 PM
I kind of believe that those who speak up in this world get more.I used to be the shy,quiet one who basically got nothing because I kept my mouth shut but over the years I've learned to speak up.Of course I don't believe in getting rude but I don't see anything wrong in asking for a possible upgrade.I think that it's good business to give your customers a bonus if a room is available,it may bring them back as a repeat customer.I know the feeling about buying a car only to have a neighbor get the same one for thousands less but that's life.I'd love to see Disney upgrade every thousandth customer at a value to a deluxe.Some people will never have the opportunity to stay at one because of financial reasons and I think that it would be cool to pass it on a little.Just my :twocents:.

I LoveJack
07-16-2009, 08:50 PM
I don't really suppose it is any worse than finding something you really wanted and finally saved up for and bought just went on sale at a different store. It's just the luck of the draw, fate, whate ever you want to call it. Most people who ask do not recieve free upgrades. And if you are lucky enough to get something for free, please thank the person who is giving it to you. Make their day just like they made yours.:mickey:

MonoMan
07-16-2009, 08:54 PM
It is my hope that those who have received "free" upgrades and perks have played it forward in some manner and brightened someone else's day too.:mickey:

Jen C.
07-16-2009, 09:11 PM
So someone shouldn't feed the homeless, because you had to pay for your full stomach?

ABSOLUTELY not nearly the same thing. If you knew me even a little, you'd realize how far off base this is.

Cinderelley
07-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Life is like that. Someone may pay thousands less for their car because they have better negotiating skills or better credit. Some people get more pay because they were better communicators during their interview. Personally, I think it's great to sprinkle some magic into people's lives. Although we can afford deluxes, I prefer Pop Century over all the other resorts we've tried. I'm not sure an upgrade would be such a great thing for me.

Jen C.
07-16-2009, 09:17 PM
It is my hope that those who have received "free" upgrades and perks have played it forward in some manner and brightened someone else's day too.:mickey:

Beautiful! ;)

Jen C.
07-16-2009, 09:29 PM
Life is like that. Someone may pay thousands less for their car because they have better negotiating skills or better credit. Some people get more pay because they were better communicators during their interview. Personally, I think it's great to sprinkle some magic into people's lives. Although we can afford deluxes, I prefer Pop Century over all the other resorts we've tried. I'm not sure an upgrade would be such a great thing for me.

Cinderelly, I do agree with you. However, good credit is usually earned. And to the best of my knowledge, there is no "negotiating" rates at WDW. I, too, like to add magic whenever and wherever I can to others lives. I just have witnessed after several years as a member on these boards, that many people are actually booking a leseser room than they want, in an attempt to get a free upgrade. Specifically, i have heard much chatter of those at AK. They realize that there are few standard rooms, and have heard of numerous upgrades to savannah rroms. They go, and are disappointed if they are not upgraded.
I think luck is fabulous. Take a lottery for example. Tickets are $1. You can buy as many as you want. But everyone pays the same, per chance, for a shot at the prize.

I never imagined this would be such a hot button issue. Perhaps a moderator should lock it up. I know personall, the gentleman who gave the hungry/homeless example has me quite hurt. It was certainly not my intention to do that to anyone reading this. I was just thinking aloud, which I thought was the purpose of these forums. My sincerest of apologies.

nicster
07-16-2009, 10:31 PM
The lottery analogy was a good one. With the possibility of upgrades many will 'take a chance' with a lesser priced room. We see it all the time with cruises. My personal philosophy is to buy what you want, if someone offers or grants an upgrade, great! But, not getting it will not in any way ruin my Magical Experience.

Gregandmel
07-16-2009, 10:36 PM
The "feeding the homeless" quote was off-base and had nothing to do with what you are talking about and it took me by surprise to see that posted...that was somewhat rude in my opinion.:confused:

If you are paying premium price and the guy behind just "asks" politely and gets the same thing for wayyyy less $$, then yeah, it's going to bother me, too.. But honestly, there are upgrades out there but I think that by and large, people are getting what they pay for. Look at how many people are on these boards and only a relative few (in comparison) actually receive an upgrade of some sort. Paying the premium price guarantees that you are going to get exactly what you want to make your Disney trip what you want it to be. Those that pay far less and 'hope' to get an upgrade to something fantastic will be few and far between. Don't get me wrong though - I'd never turn down a great upgrade if it were offered, but I don't think I would ask.

Enjoy your trip! :thumbsup:

alaMode
07-16-2009, 10:39 PM
that you are able to spend time at WDW with your family in a way that makes you happy!

I personally love to hear about people getting upgraded and/or having unexpected magical thngs happen to them while at WDW. It just makes me happy!

I've never picked up any sense that people feel entitled to upgrades, but maybe that's because I don't feel entitled to upgrades.

I'm just happy we get to go as a family and enjoy ourselves!

Tess
poly07
poly08
pop09
pop09--1st time experiencing the holiday season at WDW--can't wait!

Lakin
07-16-2009, 10:44 PM
I personally love to hear about people getting upgraded and/or having unexpected magical thngs happen to them while at WDW. It just makes me happy!

That's exactly the way I feel. :) I love hearing that people get extra perks at Walt Disney World - it only adds to the fun they have!

I personally see nothing wrong with free upgrades. It is just an extra perk that may or may not happen. If it happens to you - be happy, and if it happens to someone else - be happy for them.

I try not to pay attention to what other people pay and be happy for the price I got. :) It's great how you work to get low prices!

daisyhead
07-16-2009, 11:30 PM
I see it as Disney "gives" the rooms to a guest rather than leave them empty. It's like an extra perk. I would **NEVER** ask for an upgrade. To me it's just a little lucky thing that happens to you. Kind of like finding a lucky penny, you don't look for them, you just happen to come across them.

Isn't it all kind of part of the magic? Am I a bit jealous of people who get lucky enough to stay in a Presidential Suite. Of course. :D But, it's the kind of jealousy that says, "Lucky them" and moves on.

It's Disney, it's just magical anyway.

swampfox28
07-16-2009, 11:34 PM
Don't feel bad, OP - I understood what you meant.

I'd be lying if I didn't say that I wish I could get some wonderful upgrade, but I never have and would never expect it. I guess it's a "Disney Dream" - but Disney is so wonderful that if I DON'T ever get one, then I know I'll still be okay. I wish I could say honestly that it wouldn't bother me if someone got upgraded right in front of me and I didn't. And I might (I'm hopeful, anyway!) But I think there'd be a little envy sneaking into my mind, too.

I kind of wish I'd get some awseome upgrade or would win a trip - but, then again, after getting to do WDW as perfectly as I could, would I ever be able to go "back" and not be sad?!? I don't know that either!

I do understand what you mean. Sure, some days I wish EVERYONE could have a magical day and win cool Disney perks - but some days I wish they'd be JUST FOR ME (evil grin!)

I get what you're saying about "fairness", too, and I can see exactly what you mean.

Still, I'm the adult that actually thought our family WOULD WIN the night at Cinderella's castle last trip for one day - and was ACTUALLY disappointed (just a LITTLE bit!) that we didn't... I'm a dreamer!

-Sarah

TammiMcMan
07-16-2009, 11:34 PM
I liken it to how one would feel if they just purchased and paid for a new car, and as they started it up, saw someone else leave the lot with the same thing for a LOT less money just "because". This happens all the time though. I think I'm a very good negotiator and people have been shocked at what I've paid for a car, while they paid much more. And another example, I could pay $300 for a flight, because it's the time I want to fly, only to have it cancelled and be stuck on an earlier flight where people paid $99 instead. Or pay the $300 and have the person sitting next to me only paying $49 because the airline decided at that moment they needed to open up some bargain prices.

Bottom line, if I'm willing to pay the price for the view, the room, the resort, whatever, that's my choice. If someone gets it for less through a pin code, awesome upgrade or whatever, that's great for them. I guess it's good to know though, that if I'm behind you in line and they're passing out upgrades, that you would turn it down and maybe I would be the lucky recipient ;).

fupresti
07-17-2009, 12:55 AM
I am perfectly fine with Disney upgrading, assuming it is their actions. Asking for an upgrade of any kind is tacky and would never do it. I book the room I am comfortable with and leave it at that.

Belster
07-17-2009, 01:05 AM
Everything about WDW is magical...and in that come magical upgrades. I personally feel that the upgrades are so few and far between that when they do happen...they happen to the right people. And no I have never received an upgrade...but I am just thrilled to hear that others have. I know that in these times moral is so far down that a magical upgrade may just be what one family needs.

gueli
07-17-2009, 01:13 AM
My family of 5...have been fortunate enought to take advantage of free dining promos in the past, or discounted room rates, etc.

We have only ever stayed on deluxe properties. We typically book a room, club level. Very often, such as at BC, we book deluxe room, club level. It is of course, more expensive, yet to us worth it. We may make sacrifices elsewhere to save the money to travel to WDW this way, but we do it. It is our choice. PLEASE don't get me wrong. I am truly happy when my fellow disney fanatics score great upgrades, but with my most recent ressie, I have found myself a little um...

I do not believe in asking for upgrades. To each their own of course. I believe in reserving and paying for the room you want. We do this. I can't help though, but have my feathers ruffled "a little" when I hear of someone paying significantly less money than I, and staying in the same~or better accomodations. I liken it to how one would feel if they just purchased and paid for a new car, and as they started it up, saw someone else leave the lot with the same thing for a LOT less money just "because".

Anyone share my feelings?

You say you believe in reserving and getting what you paid for. And although there are those who will work the system, the majority of people get exactly what they paid for (i would guess 95% or so). some who get the upgrades (from values) get them from overbooking.
Is that their fault ? (I don't think that that is what your complaining about though.)
What your main statement is about is the few who complained about their rooms to the point where somebody gave them an upgrade to the club level (or perferred room). Thats the part I am saying could be those working the system. But of course, we could give them the benefit of the doubt that there was something truely wrong with what they booked- except for those you cited in your example (about them bragging about it).

Now, I don't look at what the others do. I worry about mysellf and my family. Jelousy can rear its head in a lot of ways, and when someone compares what they have to someone else (or what they paid), jelousy is likley to rear its head. It can get to you.
I pay for exactly what I want, I expect no more. If the value is right for my family then its all good. I stay away from those bragging on how they beat the system. I don't want to know them, I don't want to be them.
So in my very longwinded way, I don't let it bug me. I would rather take the long road, like you, and get to the journy at the end with my head held high, knowing that I did the right thing.

So don't let it get to you. The value you get from doing it the way you do has nothing to do with money. :thumbsup:

Mickey91
07-17-2009, 03:38 AM
The "feeding the homeless" quote was off-base and had nothing to do with what you are talking about and it took me by surprise to see that posted...that was somewhat rude in my opinion.:confused:

:thumbsup:
:ditto:I agree. Very rude comment. We received a free upgrade to a tower room at CR last fall. I was so shocked I couldn't believe it! We were supposed to be in a garden wing and the guy circled a room on the 6th floor. It took me a minute to realize that the wings don't have a 6th floor! It totally made our vacation magical! But, I would never have asked for it.

Seasonscraps
07-17-2009, 06:49 AM
I generally like hearing about guests getting an upgrade - it's a nice surprise that gives you that warm fuzzy feeling. I think most of them occur because Disney made a mistake like they overbooked a category, they want to give a little taste to entice guests to book at a higher level on future trips or there was something really wrong with the room. I don't think this is the type of thing you are talking about. And I know what you mean about people asking for and maybe expecting free upgrades. I think it's because I could never ask for something for nothing. Except for reading & replying to this post, I usually dont spend time thinking about it. Like you, I book the vacation that I want and know will enjoy and go on about my day.

Ian
07-17-2009, 08:49 AM
I agree with you totally.

I've always been amazed at how many people on the boards post about asking for a free upgrade.

Maybe it's just me, but I find that tremendously tacky and I would never even consider it.

I'm with you ... pay for what you want and don't expect something for free.

betteratmk
07-17-2009, 09:09 AM
I think upgrades are a wonderful part of Disney, it has never happened to us but when it's happened to others I think it's great. We can't afford to stay at the deluxe resorts but we have been very fortunate to be able to go every year for the past 9 years. Our youngest DS has benefited the most( he is the youngest of 7) we were both in Education and all 6 have been through private school, have their BA's and most have their Masters degree. 2 are talking about their Doctorate. We are truly blessed and still have 1 more to go!!Life can be irritating but you are blessed to be at Disney with them. Let the good times roll :party:

MarkC
07-17-2009, 09:36 AM
I can't remember ever asking for an upgrade but I certainly don't think it's tacky at all. Like a prior poster said-- people pay different prices for the same car or the same flight. If someone pays full price for a shirt, and someone else buys it for half price a week later, should the person who paid full price be mad at the person who paid half? I don't want to bring religion into this but there is a great parable in the Bible about the workers being paid for working in the vineyards, and all of them being paid the same regardless of the amount of work. There are a couple of morals to the story, but one of them is to not be envious of others just because you got what you deserved. Bottom line, I don't have a problem if someone is upgraded because I've been fortunate in my life and appreciate all those things instead of worrying about what someone else received that I didn't.

kcrc
07-17-2009, 09:39 AM
I see it as Disney "gives" the rooms to a guest rather than leave them empty. It's like an extra perk. I would **NEVER** ask for an upgrade. To me it's just a little lucky thing that happens to you. Kind of like finding a lucky penny, you don't look for them, you just happen to come across them.

Isn't it all kind of part of the magic? Am I a bit jealous of people who get lucky enough to stay in a Presidential Suite. Of course. :D But, it's the kind of jealousy that says, "Lucky them" and moves on.

It's Disney, it's just magical anyway.

I agree 100%. I would NEVER ask for an upgrade either. That is NOT my style. But, we've been lucky on our past 2 trips to the Polynesian and have been upgraded from a Garden View to a Lagoon View. I'd like to think it's a result of being polite at check-in, or nice on the phone, or maybe because we're such frequent visitors. I don't know their logic. But I, too, look at it as a treat and a way that they are sharing their magic.

I figure I'm at Disney. I'd be happy no matter what room I was in!

Jen C.
07-17-2009, 09:51 AM
:)It appears that my original intent of this post was misunderstood by many. I apologize fo rmy lack of clarity.
I am not jealous of those who are upgraded. I am frustrated that those of us who pay for those type of rooms are never offered "discounts" on them at the check in desk, or an upgrade to a water park and more option on our tickets, etc. If you are booking the best room in the house, there is no where else to be "upgraded". I realize it sounds kind of childish, but I was under the assumption that these upgrades happen rather frequently. Perhaps that was a mistake on my part. I certainly am not "blaming" the recipient, but rather questioning the logic of the sytem.

As I mentioned in my OP, I am thrilled for those fellow WDW fans that get upgraded. Especially those celebrating a monumentous occassion, etc. I just wanted to show the OTHER side of upgrades that is rarely talked about. Weekly on these boards you see someone asking about free upgrades. I just wanted people to stop and think take a look at another angle.

FriendsofMickey
07-17-2009, 10:01 AM
First: Well said MarkC! :D

I personally understand the OP's thoughts. My sister once got an upgrade from a value to a moderate. My family and her family were going down during an overlap. We paid for the moderate we were staying at, she paid for a value. Did the thought "I wish we got a free upgrade." pass through my mind, "Yes", was I happy for her, "Yes". The feelings were mixed, because of course, you wish it were you.

Last year, we were given an upgrade to a waterview. It was a nice surprise, and we were grateful. However, we did not ask or expect it. We also will not expect one this year. We paid for a standard, we will expect a standard.

Just remember, when you go, you paid for what you want, you will most likely get what you want. For those who pay for less and expect more, then there is a good chance they will be dissapointed. I do not know about you, but that is not how I want to start my vacation.

FriendsofMickey
07-17-2009, 10:08 AM
:)It appears that my original intent of this post was misunderstood by many. I apologize fo rmy lack of clarity.
I am not jealous of those who are upgraded. I am frustrated that those of us who pay for those type of rooms are never offered "discounts" on them at the check in desk, or an upgrade to a water park and more option on our tickets, etc. If you are booking the best room in the house, there is no where else to be "upgraded". I realize it sounds kind of childish, but I was under the assumption that these upgrades happen rather frequently. Perhaps that was a mistake on my part. I certainly am not "blaming" the recipient, but rather questioning the logic of the sytem.

As I mentioned in my OP, I am thrilled for those fellow WDW fans that get upgraded. Especially those celebrating a monumentous occassion, etc. I just wanted to show the OTHER side of upgrades that is rarely talked about. Weekly on these boards you see someone asking about free upgrades. I just wanted people to stop and think take a look at another angle.

I do really understand your angle, because I would absolutely love to recieve a 40% off PIN for November/December. I have NEVER received a PIN and wonder if it is because we have gone so often. My MIL got a 40% flyer this year and she hasn't gone in years and has NEVER stayed on site.

I keep my fingers crossed that someday I will get that PIN or something just as good. This year we are going in September, because I booked with a 'bounce back' offer and could not convince myself to cancel and stay when I REALLY wanted to, November. It would have cost us around $1300 more.... so, I will take a vacation in September instead.... not a complaint just a statement.

Ian
07-17-2009, 10:24 AM
This thread does highlight something I've always found to be quite odd.

Most companies go out of their way to reward frequent customers, but Disney actually seems to go out of their way to neglect theirs. Their attitude has always seemed to be, "Eh. We already get your money. We don't need to offer you anything."

But yet people who are infrequent or spotty customers get all kinds of perks and offers.

I think I find that more annoying than anything else.

ChipDale2708
07-17-2009, 10:37 AM
Jen C., I completely understand what you are talking about. We also book exactly the resort, view, and level we want because that is where we want to be and have no problem paying for it as I'm sure most people do as well. I am very happy for guests who receive upgrades :party2:for what ever reason - I'm a lousy gambler :blush: so I pay for what I want.

However, I had booked a special celebration for my Mom last fall at the BC concierge. When we checked in people next to me were receiving free concierge upgrades and over the course of the week I heard others in the lounge talking about their free upgrades. At the time of check in, the concierge cast member even said to me shocked like "Oh you actually booked concierge". Due to what appeared to us as Disney filling their concierge level, several suprises I had scheduled for my Mom were not done as requested (they were paid for by me). Over the course of the week we could barely get near a concierge person for assistance. The staff seemed overwhelmed with the crowd. If Disney is going to give upgrades during slower times, they should have the level staffed to handle it as they would during the busy months.

crazeedizneefinatic
07-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Well said Ian! We have made numerous trips to the world and have never received a pin code or discount code or upgrade. Am I mad, no, because I count my blessings that I am actually able to make the trips we do, not saying that you don't. We stay at moderates and never expect or ask for an upgrade. It does not annoy me that people get upgraded or get free perks even if they ask for them although I do think it's tacky. When you think of the millions of people who visit each year and the percentage of those who get upgraded it's probably quite small. Look how hard it is to request a room location let alone get an upgrade to a better resort, lol. If in fact Disney likes to give these things to nonfrequent visitors think of it this way. That upgrade may have gone to a family that has saved years to be there or someone who really needs the magic, not to uncommon in this economy. I would rather think of it that way then become upset that someone else got something they did not pay for.

MarkC
07-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Jen, it looks like you're going almost every year and like to stay at Deluxe resorts, which is similar to our family. Have you ever considered buying into DVC? We did through the Timeshare Store and will save thousands and thousands of dollars the next 30+ years. Then you don't have to worry about finding a discount, etc. Plus, for us our kids are 19 and 17 and in a couple years we would be paying extra for 4 adults vs. 2. A night at the Beach Club would be around $400. If you are planning to visit Disney every year or two it will more than pay off in a hurry. Just a thought. It really worked for us. Mark

TammiMcMan
07-17-2009, 11:12 AM
Most companies go out of their way to reward frequent customers, but Disney actually seems to go out of their way to neglect theirs. Their attitude has always seemed to be, "Eh. We already get your money. We don't need to offer you anything."Chains like the Marriott though are competing with hundreds of others for your business dollars. And they aren't necessarily after the average vacationer either, they target business travelers. Disney isn't really competing with anyone. It doesn't seem to be a problem for them to get customers back a second time. In fact, I think many guests repeatedly choose Disney as their yearly vacation destination.

Would it be nice to have a perk or two, yes, but realistically, I'm not even sure what that would be or how they would track it. We're not talking about the most technically advanced in terms of their reservation systems ;). The Disney Cruse Line has something called the Castaway Club, which offers repeat customers a chance to make certain reservations a few days earlier than anyone else and there's a little gift in your stateroom. Nothing big, but just a nice thank you for booking with them again.

Disney Doll
07-17-2009, 11:41 AM
1. I don't think free upgrades happen that often
2. People who book a lesser room hoping for an upgrade will likely be disappointed. That's not a smart way to plan a vacation IMHO.
3. I think asking for an upgrade is tacky. I don't mind when someone gets an upgrade as a surprise because that's Disney magic, but asking is awfully presumptuous.
4. I try not to think about what other people have paid for their rooms. Someone is always going to find a better deal and there's no sense dwelling on it.

Stickey
07-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Complimentary upgrades are a good way for Disney to enhance a guest's experience, or to reward a regular guest. We appreciated the previous upgrades that we received-WL, woods view to courtyard and a YC upgrade to water view. We always book a savannah view room when staying at AKL.

Problems occur when people arrive with the expectation of receiving an upgrade. Occasionally some look for an upgrade from a value resort to a castle view room at the Poly. Unfortunately, some people are looking to abuse the system.

Madzac
07-17-2009, 02:45 PM
OP, I can understand your frustration. It is very hard when you are loyal to disney, return again and again and pay for just what you want. I had never really thought about that... how DO you give an upgrade to someone in a room that is typically the upgrade?

I too would NEVER ask for an upgrade. I think it is in bad taste, personally. If you want something different, pay for it. I would also never demand an upgrade because I was complaining about something. If you get a surprise upgrade, it is magic. Our trip in May, my DS4 had fallen in the airport and had to go to the ER and get stitches. DH stayed with him and I went ahead with my other two kids and mom. It was a horrible, stressful first day, and they didnt end up arriving until the next day. I was really frazzled. With the 4/3 deal we were able to afford the WL which was my DREAM resort. The sweet CM upgraded us to courtyard view even though we had booked standard. I just lost it! I was so shocked, and this added such a nice little treat to our very difficult day. Its upgrades like this that go so far! And you can bet that I thanked her over and over and over!!!!

Disney_Barbie
07-17-2009, 02:52 PM
I personally, beleive that upgrades should NEVER NEVER EVER be asked for.
But quite often we have been awarded them without asking for anything & I do not have a problem with this. I do not feel guilty, nor am I in anyway bothered when we do not recieve one. We always stay in a resort or room that we would be comfortable without any upgrades & plan on not expecting one.
I guess I just view it as one of those things that can never be fair (IE - good tables in resutarnts or wait times for rides, some times you just "luck out" sometimes not, but I can't begrudge those that do)
Plus, I feel like when we're upgraded the room was just going to be empty anyway (obviously, if every single suite or club level room whatever was full, there would be no opening for them to upgrade me to) So if the room is just going to go unused, sure I don't have a problem withthen awading it to me. If nothing else, at least it will be better off for Housekeeping (I mean that in a general statement, I know I wouldn't necessarily have the same housekeeper if I was in the 2 different levels of rooms) since we tip about twice as much in a suite vs. a standard room

Jen C.
07-17-2009, 03:38 PM

Most companies go out of their way to reward frequent customers, but Disney actually seems to go out of their way to neglect theirs. Their attitude has always seemed to be, "Eh. We already get your money. We don't need to offer you anything."

But yet people who are infrequent or spotty customers get all kinds of perks and offers.

Wow Ian!!!!
This is exactly what I was trying to say. I suppose it's my wordienss that got me into trouble...Thanks for understanding! ;)

javamama
07-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Jen I completely agree with you, I don't ask for an upgrade as you can see we book what we need and want. I'm not going to be tacky and ask some CM for an upgrade, and be at their mercy my luck they'd give me the worst room in the resort.
What I think Disney should do is set limits on the upgrades they grant....views w/in the resorts can be one type, don't upgrade from a value to a deluxe in the club level that's insulting to a guest paying 6k for a stay over someone paying 2k for the same amout of days. Upgrade from Values to Moderates, and then Moderates to Deluxe, then Deluxe to Club Level. Give those in Club level the suites since they are paying more for the rooms in the first place--it makes the most sense and it's fair at least in my head. Everyone this way is upgraded some how, as for views in hotels upgrade within the same hotel or same hotel type.

TammiMcMan
07-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Put limits on Disney magic :( , I really hope not. If I'm ever that concerned about what another guest received, it's time for me to look alittle more deeply at myself.

BIGDOG
07-17-2009, 05:16 PM
From what I read on this site we all spend way too much money at WDW. If some of us can get bonus anything while at Disney it makes me warm inside. I just wish it was I that get a bonus my next trip. The whole emailing certian people special pin codes really goes up side ways I think it is boarderline prejudice to the ones who are not offered the specials. I have spent over 100,000.00 since the early 80's with Disney in my 20+ trips and I am seldom sent a special. They send pin codes to some one who has never been before just to shake some bushes for some new buisness drives me crazy.

TammiMcMan
07-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Wow, what a coincidence that in addition to getting a notification about this thread in my e-mail, I also just got a pin code offer for free dining :secret: . Of course, I have been a member of the Disney online family for 10 years or so and I have always checked the "yes" box for wanting to receive special offers. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

MarkC
07-17-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm guessing most of the upgrades are due to overbooking. I've had countless hotel room or rental car upgrades, and even been bumped to first class on airplanes a handful of times. Many of those have been due to loyalty programs but usually it's because the company overbooked the class I was in.

I understand that some people don't feel an upgrade should be requested, but I still don't have a big problem with it. I've done it on airlines occasionally since I'm quite tall and have long legs, making it cramped to sit in regular seats. I do not think people should expect it, but to each his own I guess.

LibertyTreeGal
07-17-2009, 08:51 PM
I don't ask, and it never occurred to me to be upset if someone does. We got an upgrade last time because we arrived super early and they had overbooked the standard rooms and we got a nice room veeery close to the lobby, which ended up being a blessing to my inlaws. I dunno, to me it is like getting a dream team thingie or a towel animal -- I don't go looking for it, I am not disappointed if it does not happen, and I am happy if someone else gets it.

If someone is a frequent visitor to Disney it means they are financially blessed in a big way! And they are no better or more deserving of an upgrade than someone who scraped for 10 years to take the family on one trip. In fact, I would rather see the latter family get an upgrade, to be perfectly honest. But they won't because they aren't on the "frequent flyer" mailing lists.

WWWDD?

gueli
07-18-2009, 02:16 AM
Wow Ian!!!!
This is exactly what I was trying to say. I suppose it's my wordienss that got me into trouble...Thanks for understanding! ;)

Your wordiness didn't get you in trouble...it just opened things up in a different light than what you thought...
I also understand both your and ians point-
I also have to agree that perhaps upgrading to many people to club level ruins the experience. If you have paid for it and so many have not, cant you complain? Now I know most likely the resort manager will not do much, but maybe if you complain after you get back, than maybe they will give you something. I tend to believe that Disney wants you to be happy.

Dsnygirl
07-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Well, after having read through all the posts, one thing does stand out to me -- most, if not all of the people who have posted that they received a free upgrade were also the ones who have never asked for one! :) It also seems to me, if I'm remembering correctly, that most of the people who come home from their trip and excitedly report having received an upgrade also received it as a surprise - it was not something they approached the desk planning to ask for.

So - to me, I guess that is good news - just goes to show that Disney does randomly select people to give something "extra" to - it isn't just those that are trying to get something for free on purpose.

I can totally see the point of your original post, Jen, and it's been interesting to see all the differing viewpoints it's brought out!!

I think we all agree, though, that those who pay for a standard room and then approach the situation expecting to be upgraded, and then aren't and complain about it, should just be grateful they have the financial ability to go to WDW at all, and just leave it at that. We have always had a standard room, and have never thought to complain about the fact that it was, indeed, what we paid for -- and it was still great just to be there!! :thumbsup:

tinksmom02
07-18-2009, 05:42 PM
A little late to the discussion, but nonetheless...

I would never ask for an upgrade unless I was prepare to pay for said upgrade. I'm kicking around the idea of asking how much it would cost to upgrade us to LV when we head to the Poly in Sept, but I would phrase it that way..."Are there any LV rooms available, and how much would it cost us to upgrade?"

I would certainly be a little peeved to find out that someone was generously given an upgrade to what I paid dearly for, but I tend to look at it like this...I'm guaranteeing myself the GVCL at the Poly in Sept by paying for it. I really don't like to leave things to chance, so paying the price is worth the piece of mind, I guess.

As for discounts, my mom got a PIN code for 40% off (she has only been once, in 2007, WITH US), and my friend got one, too (they've only been once, 2008, WITH US). We've gotten squat. (We were able to get a room using my mom's code, though, so we were able to take advantage). I look at it as Disney's already got my family, and they know we'll come back. IT stinks, but I think that's how it works.

TammiMcMan
07-18-2009, 05:49 PM
IT stinks, but I think that's how it works.I don't really think that's how it works. We've been vacationing upwards of 30+ times since the late 1970's and probably have received 10 or 11 discount offers over the years. As I mentioned though, we have been members of the Disney online club for over 10 years and I always check the boxes for "wanting to receive special e-mail offers".

BMan62
07-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Put limits on Disney magic :( , I really hope not. If I'm ever that concerned about what another guest received, it's time for me to look alittle more deeply at myself.

Thank you for saying this. It is exactly what went through my head as I read this thread.

SFTrny
07-18-2009, 08:41 PM
This is an interesting and difficult thread.

Jen opened up a little bit and shared some of her feelings about something and it provoked a lot of responses...some good, some not. I don't think that it is fair to interpret a feeling as a concsious act. I think that we all feel things that aren't always the most proud of...jealousy, anger, etc. But those are natural feelings. What would be fair to be judgemental about is if Jen or anyone had suggested any inappropriate actions that would have been unfair or unappreciative...but she didn't. She only expressed a feeling to a community of good people that she is a member of.

I like this thread because it challenges us to keep looking for the magic for everyone and to enjoy EVERYONE'S magical moments...even when it is difficult.

I also think that this highlights something that I think all of us WDW addicts would like to see...which is a Frequent Guest rewards program. Just like any other hotel or vacation destination, I think that WDW needs to think about a frequent guest program that offers some rewards to the people and families who return year after year. Something that doesn't require the commitment of DVC.

Cinderelley
07-19-2009, 03:26 AM
A comment was made earlier in the thread that concierge level guests don't have anywhere to be upgraded to. So, I was curious. Is anyone ever upgraded to a suite?

TammiMcMan
07-19-2009, 11:28 AM
A comment was made earlier in the thread that concierge level guests don't have anywhere to be upgraded to. So, I was curious. Is anyone ever upgraded to a suite?Yes, we booked a standard club level room and were given a complimentary upgrade to a suite.

BluewaterBrad
07-19-2009, 12:10 PM

Well said!! I agree with you 100%!!:mickey:

TheVBs
07-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Wait... How do we know that people who book deluxe never get any kind of free perk? It seems to be the case that free upgrades/offers are pretty infrequent. A few people here have indicated that they're frustrated that the highest paying guests are never given these things. How do you know that no one in that position has never received a free upgrade or offer? Just because you haven't? I think that's making a big assumption.

Now, we're with the people who book exactly what they want and don't expect or ask for anything more. But, just because I don't feel comfortable asking for an upgrade or bargaining in that situation, does that mean I'm going to go so far as to say something insulting to someone who does, lIke call them tacky? No. That's name calling and inappropriate as far as I'm concerned. Isn't it possible to just say that you would choose not to do that or not feel comfortable with it? Does it have to go as far as adding an insult?

And I have to add that I'm thrilled when someone gets a little extra magic at WDW. I love it, I love hearing about it, and I hope people here will keep sharing their stories about it. :mickey:

TammiMcMan
07-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Wait... How do we know that people who book deluxe never get any kind of free perk? They definitely do. We've been upgraded twice after booking club level. I agree though, that upgrades are not very common and the majority are given to those that didn't ask.

TheVBs
07-19-2009, 01:34 PM
One other thing regarding "all those people who post here asking about free upgrades." There are lots of situations where it's appropriate to negotiate or ask for something extra. Many of the people posting this question may have never, ever stayed at a WDW resort before and are coming here with an honest question, wanting to know how things work. Maybe they've never stayed at any other kind of resort or travelled much at all and this is a huge upcoming trip for them - a first. So they come here to find out how things work and your response is going to be, "You're tacky" and "You're trying to abuse the system"? Really? I've been to WDW a fair number of times and I'm STILL learning new things about it. I've been one of those people who asked an innocent question about how things work and have actually been accused of trying to be dishonest. It's rude an unnecessary. Think about the first time you did anything new and didn't know how things worked and had to ask. There's certainly no harm in giving someone, especially someone new, the benefit of the doubt before you get insulting. ;)

TheVBs
07-19-2009, 01:36 PM
They definitely do. We've been upgraded twice after booking club level. I agree though, that upgrades are not very common and the majority are given to those that didn't ask.

Thanks for that info! That's my impression as well, they're rare and are usually given when not asked for. But I'd never been given the impression that they were only given to people paying the least.

nicster
07-19-2009, 01:39 PM
Upgrades are SPD (spontaneous pixie dust), the more often you travel, the greater the likelihood of having it find you.;)

BelleCiavo
07-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Of course, I have been a member of the Disney online family for 10 years or so and I have always checked the "yes" box for wanting to receive special offers. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I wonder if it does too. We go almost every year and I've gotten *THREE* codes this year (ironically we are not using any.) I always check that box on a Disney site.

Jen C.
07-19-2009, 05:32 PM

Jen opened up a little bit and shared some of her feelings about something and it provoked a lot of responses...some good, some not. I don't think that it is fair to interpret a feeling as a concsious act. I think that we all feel things that aren't always the most proud of...jealousy, anger, etc. But those are natural feelings. What would be fair to be judgemental about is if Jen or anyone had suggested any inappropriate actions that would have been unfair or unappreciative...but she didn't. She only expressed a feeling to a community of good people that she is a member of.

I like this thread because it challenges us to keep looking for the magic for everyone and to enjoy EVERYONE'S magical moments...even when it is difficult.

I also think that this highlights something that I think all of us WDW addicts would like to see...which is a Frequent Guest rewards program. Just like any other hotel or vacation destination, I think that WDW needs to think about a frequent guest program that offers some rewards to the people and families who return year after year. Something that doesn't require the commitment of DVC.

Thank you for understanding. I was beginning to revert back to my misunderstood teen years...;)

PiratePaul
07-19-2009, 05:38 PM
I feel really bad for the OP. She started out just casually wondering if anyone else who typically books deluxe type rooms ever feels slightly spited that some get these things for free. She seemed to phrase her question in a very polite and fair manner. She also seemed to go back several times and make even clearer her point. She took quite a few hits below the belt, especially from the guy offering the feed the hungry comment.

I haven't been on these boards in some time. I always thought them to be for sharing opinions in a friendly, and informative manner. Opinions are just that, opinions. I'm shocked at how so many appeared to take offense. The OP is happy for those who get upgrades~she said so herself. I don't think she ever once suggested "capping Disney Magic", or any of the like. Back and forth is fun, if it's all in good spirits. Thinking and reflecting is good for the soul. :)

Jen C.
07-19-2009, 05:45 PM
One other thing regarding "all those people who post here asking about free upgrades." There are lots of situations where it's appropriate to negotiate or ask for something extra. Many of the people posting this question may have never, ever stayed at a WDW resort before and are coming here with an honest question, wanting to know how things work. Maybe they've never stayed at any other kind of resort or travelled much at all and this is a huge upcoming trip for them - a first. So they come here to find out how things work and your response is going to be, "You're tacky" and "You're trying to abuse the system"? Really? I've been to WDW a fair number of times and I'm STILL learning new things about it. I've been one of those people who asked an innocent question about how things work and have actually been accused of trying to be dishonest. It's rude an unnecessary. Think about the first time you did anything new and didn't know how things worked and had to ask. There's certainly no harm in giving someone, especially someone new, the benefit of the doubt before you get insulting. ;)

I hope this doesn't go out to me (the OP). I never once referred to the practice of asking for upgrades as tacky. I also never accused anyone of trying to abuse the system. In my over 600 post since becoming a member in 05, I have always answered fairly and politely. I am especially careful to do so when responding to a new friend on the boards. I think it's important as a responsible member of the boards, when reading through a thread with as many responses as this, that we not lose sight of the OP, and their intent. Again, I hope I was not nasty in any of my remarks. I am terribly regrettful for having opened this can of worms. :ill:

nicster
07-19-2009, 05:55 PM
I hope this doesn't go out to me (the OP). I never once referred to the practice of asking for upgrades as tacky. I also never accused anyone of trying to abuse the system. In my over 600 post since becoming a member in 05, I have always answered fairly and politely. I am especially careful to do so when responding to a new friend on the boards. I think it's important as a responsible member of the boards, when reading through a thread with as many responses as this, that we not lose sight of the OP, and their intent. Again, I hope I was not nasty in any of my remarks. I am terribly regrettful for having opened this can of worms. :ill:
Hey Jen C, I never saw this in any other light, threads just get off track sometimes. Keep posting...

TheVBs
07-19-2009, 06:23 PM

No!! That was not directed at you at all and I am so sorry that you felt it may have been. You did express your feelings very politely and I did not mean for any of my posts to come across in an unpleasant way, just as food for thought. I get a little distressed when I see certain comments and just wanted to present a different point of view, which unfortunately strayed off topic.

Don't be sorry for starting this topic! You did it very gracefully and opened some interesting discussion. Thank you!

badkitty
07-19-2009, 06:50 PM
I wonder if it does too. We go almost every year and I've gotten *THREE* codes this year (ironically we are not using any.) I always check that box on a Disney site.

I do not think it does. I also check the boxes and have never received a pin code or upgrade. Ever. My sister though went on a trip with me on my reservation and received a pin code in the mail. The kicker, it came to my address. The CM told me I couldn't use it on my next vacation unless my sister was in the party. I might have to ask her to come along! ;)

Jen, I know it is difficult, but try not to let folks upset you with their words. Forums allow people to say things they normally would never say face to face and misunderstandings happen a lot more frequently. Thank you for being so honest about your feelings. Keep posting!

dog-ears
07-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Well I know this thread's been around a while but somehow I've missed it until now.

We have always stayed at the deluxe resorts (though not club level). I have always liked our rooms whether or not they had a view. Of course we just like some resorts a little better than others, but they have all been good. I have been happy with our accomodations, so even if it was in my nature to ask for an upgrade (but it's not!), I would not have asked. I have never felt bad hearing about others getting upgrades - maybe because I've always been happy with our rooms.

Last time we stayed at the Poly and to my complete surprise when we checked in they told us we had been upgraded! We were upgraded to a better view basically (but not club level), and it was really a nice unexpected delight. We have been going to WDW for the last 10 years plus and this was the first time.

I can understand wanting to get your money's worth and not feeling like someone else is getting an unfair advantage. I really think you have to be happy with your own arrangements though and not worry about what everyone else is getting. I truly think what goes around, comes around - perhaps there is a surprise upgrade for you in the future, who knows? ;)

amrntodd
07-19-2009, 07:05 PM
when i went to WDW in 'o8, we got upgraded to the Concierge Level at the Wilderness Lodge. when we got on the elivator and put the gold card into the slot to go to the top floor, 2 girls about the age of 10 said, "ugh! no fair! they get to go on the top floor!" it was very funny. but we only got this room by chance... we didnt ask for it.

Dsnygirl
07-19-2009, 07:29 PM
it was very funny. but we only got this room by chance... we didnt ask for it.
See? This is exactly what I meant in my post on the other page of this thread... seems that most of the time, these upgrades are given to guests who never ask and are genuinely surprised and excited by the upgrade, not demanding and asking for it. :thumbsup: I think that's how most upgrades should go!!

This is slightly off topic as far as room upgrades go, but last December, we stood in line at the R&C dining room behind 3 or 4 very rude and impatient families who all wanted the "priority seating" out on the deck for Illuminations during their dinner. The family ahead of us actually tried to say they were promised it by the CM who took their ADR. When it was our turn to check in, I apologized for asking the same question I'd heard them have to deal with for everyone else, let them know I understood it was "first come, first serve" for the deck & also that it was my DH's birthday dinner and if when it came to our turn there were any spots on the deck, we'd love it, and we'd wait for it, if need be.

Imagine our surprise when our "blinky thing" went off and we were ushered to a marvelous table on the deck... our hostess said she'd really appreciated our kindness and politeness, and hoped my DH had a wonderful birthday. We couldn't have said thank you enough, as she made our night, and I think we also helped hers be a bit better by being kind.

So -- maybe that's what they mean by the Disney magic -- you give some, sometimes you're lucky enough to be on the receiving end of some! :thumbsup:

jonahbear2006
07-19-2009, 07:31 PM
ABSOLUTELY not nearly the same thing. If you knew me even a little, you'd realize how far off base this is.

This is not that far off base. Yes, its not essential to life but to those who don't have the ability to experience something, it is a very similar concept. I was upgraded to concierge and was sooo thankful because not only will we never be able to afford to do that BUT we may never stay Disney does this to make dreams come true; some people cant afford to see how the well to do live. AND about the credit thing. Credit is usually earned but isn't always in your hands whether fate leads you to money or not. We, have had nothing but bad luck with finances. We do have excellent credit but I have seen some people lose their jobs, stumble and ruin their credit when it was not necessarily just a bad choice, rather bad luck. We work hard all year long just to afford to go, so if Disney throws something our way, it brings me to tears....Now, we DO show up in our Sunday best, we have excellent manners, and consider ourselves elitests when it comes to our attitudes and disposition so I can imagine that if someone were in a deluxe that I had paid for and were given an upgrade and yet, aren't going to dress deluxe and act deluxe, now THAT is when I would be upset. Cause at THAT point I would be like, ok, if you are going to act like you paid $50 a night for a room then go stay at a $50 hotel. Do the best with what you are given, I say, it's ok. Don't go expecting the best and not willing to give 100%

RaRaRoundTheWorld
07-19-2009, 08:20 PM
I'm sorry that people would post tacky comments regarding your musings.

I do feel that, in general, upgrades are offered to people in order to incite them to want to stay at that upgraded level in the future. I'm not sure what algorithm is applied to produce a likely candidate.

We've received two luck-of-the-draw upgrades in all our travels and I completely believe that this was to entice us into upgrading our future reservations. However, the majority of upgrades have come about when we asked more. It's crazy really how much more the hotel industry can provide if one simply asks.

badkitty
07-19-2009, 08:28 PM
This is not that far off base. Yes, its not essential to life but to those who don't have the ability to experience something, it is a very similar concept. I was upgraded to concierge and was sooo thankful because not only will we never be able to afford to do that BUT we may never stay Disney does this to make dreams come true; some people cant afford to see how the well to do live.

I do believe you have missed the point of the OP. She is not saying that folks who can't afford it should not be upgraded. I think the "homeless" comment was off-base and hurtful.

Familyof4
07-19-2009, 08:38 PM
We have only ever stayed at Moderate or Deluxe resorts and have never rec'd an upgrade either. I have heard many times people say that they have had their room upgraded automatically. Me, personally have never had that happen nor have I ever had the guts to ask if a better room was available. The best I have done was request a specific floor at POR because we had a stroller and avoiding the elevators was easier. I think you have a legitimate gripe, unfortunately, I think it is the way of the world. I hope you enjoy your vacation despite no upgrades:-) And just take with you that perhaps those who have rec'd the upgrade could have really used that special treatment at that point in their life.

Carolanne
07-19-2009, 09:08 PM
We've been going 2-3 times a year since 1996 and never got the SPD of a room/resort upgrade. Yeah it makes me jealous when I hear about it happening to others, but it doesn't ruin the trip for me. If I really wanted to stay at a deluxe resort or conceirge level room, I would have booked it myself.

I'll be there with my mom in Sept and with my DH in Nov--if either trip is lucky enough to be gifted an upgrade, I'd probably fall over in shock.

There was a trip where some guests were being a little too rowdy & their chaperones weren't doing a very good job of chaperoning; I went to the front desk to inquire about moving to a comparable resort, not even an upgrade, & explained why; the CM said they only resort they had available was the Poly, a deluxe. Just as I'm thinking "OMG, is she upgrading us to the Poly", the CM let me know what the price difference was going to be (insert Price is Right losing music here).

When we first started going to WDW, we always stayed at a deluxe resort. Then I realized we only sleep in the room, so why should we bother paying all that money for a super-nice place to sleep? Every now & again we might treat ourselves to a deluxe resort (say, if a really good special comes up), but for the most part we stick to the mods & values. I definitely wouldn't refuse a suprise upgrade if it came our way :mickey:

TammiMcMan
07-19-2009, 10:11 PM
I haven't been on these boards in some time. I always thought them to be for sharing opinions in a friendly, and informative manner. Opinions are just that, opinions. I'm shocked at how so many appeared to take offense. The OP is happy for those who get upgrades~she said so herself. I don't think she ever once suggested "capping Disney Magic", or any of the like. Back and forth is fun, if it's all in good spirits. Thinking and reflecting is good for the soul. :)Although maybe a few comments have been borderline, it has been a good discussion of opinions. The OP was not the one who mentioned capping Disney magic as you put it and that discussion was not directed at her. I guess it gets a little hard to keep track though when so many people do get "talking" ;) .

tinksmom02
07-19-2009, 10:22 PM
I do not think it does. I also check the boxes and have never received a pin code or upgrade. Ever. My sister though went on a trip with me on my reservation and received a pin code in the mail. The kicker, it came to my address. The CM told me I couldn't use it on my next vacation unless my sister was in the party. I might have to ask her to come along! ;)

This makes me feel slightly better--I always check "yes" on the info boxes and stuff, too, and I don't think we've ever gotten a code.

jonahbear2006
07-19-2009, 11:17 PM
We really dont care what kind of room we stay in, really. We love Disney so much that we will camp in a tent or stay value if we have to, to go. Yes I prefer deluxe and I will opt for a concierge room in the future, if hubby and i go alone, because we have learned how nice it is but it does seem to me that there is some kind of rhythm to people getting upgrades. When I have talked to people it seems they've either never gotten upgraded and never get pins or they get a lot of them and they tend to get upgrades. It is very obscure to me but it definitely is not evenly dosed.

Polynesian Dweller
07-20-2009, 12:04 AM
Jen C. I think your comments have been well stated and you have phrase things well. Want to say that my comments to follow are actually about things in others posts.

As a former (and maybe soon again) hotelier, I can say that asking a hotel for an upgrade is absolutely fine from the typical hotelier's point of view. What will get the hotel unhappy is if there is a sense of demand in the request (i.e. expectation that it will be granted) and if there is an indication that it is expected to be free.

Hotels give upgrades for many reasons. Some are operational (its more efficient use of housekeeping & maintenance if groups of rooms are used rather than spreading people out), cost efficiencies, maintenance issues (assigned room has damage or fixtures that aren't working), and promotion ( perhaps if you upgrade someone they will come back at that higher level) among the most prominent.

Hoteliers do understand that it can upset people if they see somebody getting something for less than they paid so they do try to keep the numbers of upgrades to just a few. But, there will always be some upgrades given for the reasons above.

Sneaky Pete
07-20-2009, 01:40 AM
this is Disney and that's how Disney rolls. Upgrades and other happy surprises are a part of what makes Disney the special place that it is.

The real World is full of one price for all.

Disney Doll
07-20-2009, 02:05 PM
What will get the hotel unhappy is if there is a sense of demand in the request (i.e. expectation that it will be granted) and if there is an indication that it is expected to be free.

I'm confused. Isn't that what we are talking about? People asking for free upgrades? Maybe I should clarify my POV. If you want to inquire about the additional cost to upgrade, that's fine, but asking for something you didn't pay for and fully expecting to get it for free is to me tacky. Honestly if I were a CM I'd much rather surprise an unsuspecting family than to cater to someone who presumes they ought to get more than they have. It's just more fun that way.

EeyoresBestFriend
07-20-2009, 03:54 PM
I sure understand what the OP meant. And I pretty much agree with her.

I don't think there is any harm in inquiring politely ONCE, at original check in.

I have seen people melt down at the counter and throw fits that would have their parents beating them if they were kids. Then walk away giggling when they have bullied their way to getting what they were after, not what they paid for and not what they deserved(which was a kick in the butt).

If you have an expectation of your lodging for your trip, then book it ~ don't expect it to be "granted" to you. Tinkerbell is not your personal fairy!! :D

clou1028
07-20-2009, 04:06 PM
I love to hear stories of unsuspecting people receiving upgrades or some other form of unexpected Disney magic. Even though I have never received and upgrade myself, it makes me feel good that others have when they weren't expecting it, and have special memories of it. Got to love that Disney Magic!

But yes, I agree with the OP, book the room you want. I would feel funny asking for an upgrade. But then again I would never expect to get one if I did ask! I think it should be taken for what it is, a RANDOM act of kindness, not something someone is entitled to. :mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
07-20-2009, 05:19 PM
I'm confused. Isn't that what we are talking about? People asking for free upgrades? Maybe I should clarify my POV. If you want to inquire about the additional cost to upgrade, that's fine, but asking for something you didn't pay for and fully expecting to get it for free is to me tacky. Honestly if I were a CM I'd much rather surprise an unsuspecting family than to cater to someone who presumes they ought to get more than they have. It's just more fun that way.

Actually, we seem to be agreeing on this. I was just giving an hoteliers viewpoint on asking for upgrades, free or otherwise. There seemed to be some confusion in the thread and a thought that asking for an upgrade is 'tacky'. It isn't. But asking for a free one is not appreciated and in most cases shouldn't be done.

People should be happy if they get it but not expect it so we do agree. Now I don't know Disney's policies so a free one may occasionally be a random act of kindness by a CM but they hotelier in me thinks it's upgrades are most likely given for business reasons.

iheartdisney
07-20-2009, 05:21 PM
I agree with you totally.

I've always been amazed at how many people on the boards post about asking for a free upgrade.

Maybe it's just me, but I find that tremendously tacky and I would never even consider it.

I'm with you ... pay for what you want and don't expect something for free.

What Ian said! Exactly!

iheartdisney
07-20-2009, 05:48 PM

Well said! The OP is not so much concerned about what another guest receives so much as the guest ASKING for a free upgrade and expecting one.

I feel really bad for the OP. She started out just casually wondering if anyone else who typically books deluxe type rooms ever feels slightly spited that some get these things for free. She seemed to phrase her question in a very polite and fair manner. She also seemed to go back several times and make even clearer her point. She took quite a few hits below the belt, especially from the guy offering the feed the hungry comment.

I haven't been on these boards in some time. I always thought them to be for sharing opinions in a friendly, and informative manner. Opinions are just that, opinions. I'm shocked at how so many appeared to take offense. The OP is happy for those who get upgrades~she said so herself. I don't think she ever once suggested "capping Disney Magic", or any of the like. Back and forth is fun, if it's all in good spirits. Thinking and reflecting is good for the soul. :)

Thanks for reminding us of this!

And in response to WWWDD? I think, in addition to surprising unsuspecting guests he would reward loyal customers just as frequently!

RaRaRoundTheWorld
07-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Jen C. I think your comments have been well stated and you have phrase things well. Want to say that my comments to follow are actually about things in others posts.

As a former (and maybe soon again) hotelier, I can say that asking a hotel for an upgrade is absolutely fine from the typical hotelier's point of view. What will get the hotel unhappy is if there is a sense of demand in the request (i.e. expectation that it will be granted) and if there is an indication that it is expected to be free.

Hotels give upgrades for many reasons. Some are operational (its more efficient use of housekeeping & maintenance if groups of rooms are used rather than spreading people out), cost efficiencies, maintenance issues (assigned room has damage or fixtures that aren't working), and promotion ( perhaps if you upgrade someone they will come back at that higher level) among the most prominent.

Hoteliers do understand that it can upset people if they see somebody getting something for less than they paid so they do try to keep the numbers of upgrades to just a few. But, there will always be some upgrades given for the reasons above.

Thank you for your rational thoughts. I think people get swept away by the idea of "Disney Magic" and don't realize that Disney would never have attained its huge conglomerate status if it didn't market itself really well. It is a very well run business at the end of the day. I see no reason to be sheepish or shy about asking this billion-dollar business to throw us a bone by politely asking for an upgrade. I don't think it's at all a matter of getting what you pay for - otherwise our capitalistic society would operate very differently.

goofball
07-21-2009, 06:10 PM
I have been given an upgrade at check in a few times. Maybe a better view or something, nothing major, we never went from a standard to a concierge room or anything like that. I have also asked a few times and then I think it happens according to availablility. It was pretty much hit or miss but I was always polite and never expected anything.

mouseketeer mom
07-21-2009, 09:00 PM
We asked at check in last stay if a lagoon view room was available instead of a garden view. They checked and I handed my card over to pay the difference. She declined my payment, saying it was a birthday gift to my daughter. I was fully prepared to pay the difference.

KayDee
07-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Well Ive only heard of these wonderfull upgrades. My concern is what upgrade can a person who has already booked the best room get ?
Has anyone who has booked what they thought was the best room recieved a bonus perk at check in? ie free dinner or something if so Disney is being fair.
If not then I say these people are missing out on the magic that so many of you are defending.

TammiMcMan
07-22-2009, 08:52 PM
I know club level guests can and have been upgraded to suites. In regards to those that are booking the top level suites, they are typically considered vip's and yes they would get a number of perks and very special treatment.

In terms of the other resort levels, there have been reports of those booking value and being upgraded to villas. This is usually because of an overbooking situation, but the upgrade included those that had paid for the highest level of room at that value resort.

Comp dining or tickets is pretty much only given in rare cases. Like when there has been a problem and management is trying to make up for it. Complimentary room upgrades are a little different.

These are really like Magical Moments that you hear about in the parks. It's something everyone is eligible for, but only a few lucky ones are chosen. There's no rhyme or reason to any of it. While we've had a few upgrades over the years, we've never gotten selected for any type of Magical Moment (although we've made plenty of our own). I guess in the end, it all tends to balance out.

In a round about way, it looks like the crux of the discussion comes down to how people feel about others asking outright for an upgrade. For those that travel frequently, it doesn't seem to be a big deal, as it's pretty much considered standard operating procedure in the world outside of Disney. If you call to book a room at a high end hotel chain, typically you'll be quoted the higher rate. You have to ask if there is a special being offered, or any promotions that are cheaper in order to lower the price of the room. If you don't ask, you're stuck paying the higher rate. It's just how it works. Anyone familiar with that, wouldn't think it's odd to inquire at a Disney resort.

PixieMagic
07-23-2009, 03:01 PM
We have never asked for a free upgrade - never even would have thought to....

I guess my point of view is that if you have the guts to ask go ahead...but don't build up your hopes to the point where you are upset or rude if they dont upgrade you... Pretty much the same opinion as the OP

I avoided this thread for a while now b/c at first glance I was taken aback...that is until I fully read this thread...

We have stayed and payed for deluxe since I was young...the ONLY upgrade we ever received was standard to concierge at POLY on our Honeymoon....it wasn't asked for - it was apparently pre-arranged as they had well wishes waiting for us in our room....

as the first WDW vacation for DH I was just thrilled to surprise him with the fact that I switched our reservations from POFQ to Poly with my bonus $$ at work!!!

This year circumstances have changed and both my father and I have lost our jobs and all we could afford was a value....BUT....

We would never consider asking for an upgrade....although I would much rather be at Poly and will terribly miss it as it's my second home...ANY DAY AT DISNEY IS BETTER THAN NO DAY AT DISNEY!!! And I think if more people had this attitude than all would be swell! :cloud9:

Septbride2002
07-23-2009, 03:40 PM

Spoken like a true DVC-er. :)

I think what turns me off is people who try to work the system for an upgrade. You'll see post all the time - "How likely will I get an upgrade if I book this way..." it shouldn't be about how likely you will be - if you want a Savannah View room at AKL then book one.

JMHO

~Amanda

LauraByTheSea
07-23-2009, 06:59 PM
I am the revenue manager (the one in charge of rates/discounts/upgrades) for a major chain resort, and I have to say there is NOTHING wrong with asking for an upgrade. Or any disounts for that matter. Esp discounts. Unless it's a major promo, they're not going to just give you the lowest rate, you have to ask. Now, there's a difference between asking politely (and you may just get it if it's available) and demanding it. Or if it's not available getting mad. I for one will ask, but if they don't have an upgrade or a discount, who cares? I'm at a hotel to sleep, not to spend my whole day in anyway. And I've paid for suites before too, even knowing that someone else may have gotten a free upgrade. Doesn't bother me at all because I know how the system works. Might be me getting the "deal" next time... :shrug:

greengeen
07-23-2009, 08:53 PM
I am the revenue manager (the one in charge of rates/discounts/upgrades) for a major chain resort, and I have to say there is NOTHING wrong with asking for an upgrade. Or any disounts for that matter. Esp discounts. Unless it's a major promo, they're not going to just give you the lowest rate, you have to ask. Now, there's a difference between asking politely (and you may just get it if it's available) and demanding it. Or if it's not available getting mad. I for one will ask, but if they don't have an upgrade or a discount, who cares? I'm at a hotel to sleep, not to spend my whole day in anyway. And I've paid for suites before too, even knowing that someone else may have gotten a free upgrade. Doesn't bother me at all because I know how the system works. Might be me getting the "deal" next time... :shrug:

Disney doesn't operate like any other hotel chain or resort. Their system is not "the system" you mention. They're not Loews or Wyndham or Hilton. They're Disney.

LauraByTheSea
07-23-2009, 08:57 PM
Right, but that's not the point... The point is, don't feel bad about asking, because you never know...

blissventure
07-25-2009, 11:19 PM
Is there something "wrong" with asking for an upgrade? If one feels they must, then others opinions aren't going to change their tactics. I do think, especially at WDW, schmoozing, gushing, and hinting-wink wink, or verbally "requesting" an upgrade may close the door completely...and that's the chance you take.
But, for those who wish to roll the dice, they should do whatever they want.
I have a decent amount of points with a couple of hotels. Based on my regular patronage, I do occasionally receive upgrades. I never ask, hint, or do anything else but be polite at check in. I don't live wishing for upgrades. I book what I want, and if it happens, great. If it doesn't, I'm fine with that, too. :thumbsup:

TammiMcMan
07-25-2009, 11:38 PM
Disney doesn't operate like any other hotel chain or resort. Their system is not "the system" you mention. They're not Loews or Wyndham or Hilton. They're Disney.Based on a number of discussions on message boards, "we" may be more aware of how Disney operates, but the casual traveller has no idea.

Is there something "wrong" with asking for an upgrade?
Personally, I find absolutely nothing wrong with walking up to registration and saying "hello, do you have any upgrades available?" By my count, there are 5 things that could happen:

The CM pulls up the reservation and by luck, the guest has already received a complimentary upgrade

The CM looks for an upgrade and offers it at rack rate

The CM looks for an upgrade and is authorized to offer a discount

The CM looks for an upgrade and is authorized to make it complimentary

The guest specified "free" upgrade, which bothers the CM and they tell them NO

A word of advice though, is if an upgrade is available, be clear as to how it's being offered. There have been plenty of times when a guest assumed it was complimentary and were surprised to see an additional charge to their account ;). I'm talking specifically about upgrades that are requested at check-in and not those given out behind the scenes by Disney.

blissventure
07-26-2009, 12:54 AM
Based on a number of discussions on message boards, "we" may be more aware of how Disney operates, but the casual traveller has no idea.

Personally, I find absolutely nothing wrong with walking up to registration and saying "hello, do you have any upgrades available?" By my count, there are 5 things that could happen:

The CM pulls up the reservation and by luck, the guest has already received a complimentary upgrade

The CM looks for an upgrade and offers it at rack rate

The CM looks for an upgrade and is authorized to offer a discount

The CM looks for an upgrade and is authorized to make it complimentary

The guest specified "free" upgrade, which bothers the CM and they tell them NO

A word of advice though, is if an upgrade is available, be clear as to how it's being offered. There have been plenty of times when a guest assumed it was complimentary and were surprised to see an additional charge to their account ;). I'm talking specifically about upgrades that are requested at check-in and not those given out behind the scenes by Disney.

In general, if someone truly wants an upgrade, (that they're actually willing to pay for), they'd probably haven taken care of it before they left home. It's a quick thing to pick up the phone. :thumbsup: Of course there are exceptions--like..a guest saying "I'd like to ask about an upgrade, is one available and what would the rate be? ???" :D Someone that states from the start they are asking about an upgrade AND a rate is quite different from someone who just asks something along the lines of, "Have any upgrades today?"
Just my opinion, YMMV.

TammiMcMan
07-26-2009, 11:10 AM
In general, if someone truly wants an upgrade, (that they're actually willing to pay for), they'd probably haven taken care of it before they left home. It's a quick thing to pick up the phone. :thumbsup: Actually, a number of people do ask about upgrades at check-in. Some of the reasons have been covered here and they include the fact that it is standard operating procedure at many other hotels (and even at Disney's own cruise line), discounts have been offered in the past by Disney and given to those who did ask at check-in (specifically the few years following 9/11 and surprisingly at the WL, where for about $25 a night, you could upgrade to their club level at check-in) and finally, some guests find themselves with a little more money to spend when the trip actually arrives.

When you consider those things, the question being asked at check-in is not all that out of the ordinary. Whether you're asking what the rate is within the initial question or as a followup, doesn't really matter all that much to me ;).

Daisy'sMom
07-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Why does anyone care what someone else does? Your suppose to be having fun, your at Disney, why do you care if somone else ask for an upgrade, why do you care if someone spent less money than you and still gets the same size piece of cake?
What do you think happens when you purchase your tickets to fly on a certain flight? I bet not one person spends the same amount for the same size seat. ;)

Disney spreads a little magic, is that so bad?

thejens
07-26-2009, 01:00 PM
This has been an interesting thread to read and I think no one has really intended to disrespect anyone else's feelings. I have been to WDW several times now and have always paid for the deluxe resort, but never the concierge level and usually not for the preferred views. I have never been upgraded and rarely even get towel animals etc. but have always felt very lucky to be able to be at WDW at a deluxe resort. I loved the little touches of "magic" when my kids are given stickers, or a cast member has taken extra time to talk to my son or once after my son fell and hit his head while in line for a ride a CM gave us a FP to ride it another time. To me nearly everything about Disney is already magical. On our recent trip to AKL I reserved, paid for and recieved a pool view (actually a view of trees and shrubs which was fine.) While in line I wondered if they would upgrade me to Savannah view and found myself hoping they would give the upgrade to some one else who would truly be thrilled with that. Not that we wouldn't have enjoyed it, but I already felt so happy I was thinking there might be some who would enjoy it even more. Then I found myself hoping it would go to someone at a value, rather than someone who could already afford AKL. Then my imagination wandered to someone staying off property...and then I was wishing I could send someone who only dreamed of going to WDW. I know this sounds goofy, but I spent a while in line imagining giving something I didn't even have to someone I didn't know. Of course, it all came to nothing and I find myself thinking that if I truly believe in pixie dust, perhaps I ought to find some way to make it happen. I could donate to a local charity (the Make a Wish Foundation?) or perform that random act of kindness while in the parks. My actions often fall short of my ideals and this thread has made me think about that. I think it is wonderful to receive an upgrade, and don't resent anyone or mean to suggest I wouldn't enjoy one myself, but wouldn't it be great if we all used this random practice as an inspiration and example rather than prize to be grabbed?

tnpoohbear
07-26-2009, 02:25 PM
I think it is great that people get free upgrades, I am just disappointed that I have never been one of them and we have been to WDW 20 times! A free upgrade sure would be nice! I just don't feel comfortable in asking for them.

But I am not mad at others for getting them - lucky for them; I would just like to get one some time!:mickey:

Brooklynos
07-26-2009, 04:02 PM
I think it's great when people get upgrades, whether asked for or not. We have been 6 times and received two small upgrades. One to a river view at French Quarter on our honeymoon and once to pool view at AKL. We would have been happy with our standard view since that is what we paid for but it was a nice suprise. On another note, we pay for what we will be happy with. Why pay for less and hope for an upgrade and not get it. We have had 6 wonderful trips and we are always happy to be in WDW, upgrade or not. Congrats to all those that got the recent big upgrade!!!! I think a little more magic in the world could never be a bad thing..... ;)

Mousemates
07-26-2009, 05:53 PM
My actions often fall short of my ideals and this thread has made me think about that. I think it is wonderful to receive an upgrade, and don't resent anyone or mean to suggest I wouldn't enjoy one myself, but wouldn't it be great if we all used this random practice as an inspiration and example rather than prize to be grabbed?

great thot :thumbsup:

jakeybake
07-26-2009, 06:41 PM
I have never once asked for an upgrade, it's just not my style to ask. That being said, I was upgraded on each of my last 4 trips.

The first one was the best of all. We had just bought our dream home, but well before we even thought about buying it, we had planned a dream vacation at the Beach Club. We went during August, during the free dining promo. When we checked in I was told that our room wasn't ready. I told them we would be by the pool and I would just walk over in an hour or so to see if the room was ready. The CM told me that when I came back to check that I should go over to the concierge desk on the other side of the doors to check on the room. I didn't think anything of it.

Well, when I went back to check an hour later, the CM told me that the room was ready and that when I got onto the elevator that I would need to slide my card into the slot before pressing the 5th floor button. I instantly turned around, smiled at my wife and said, "We were upgraded to conceirge!!!" My very next move, after thanking that CM, was to go over to the check in desk and thank the original CM who I checked in with upon my arrival. She smiled sweetly and said, "Mr. _______ it's the least we could do for such a beautful family!"

So people can be as sour and resentful as they like to folks who recieve complimentary upgrades but for me, that one magical gesture made us feel like the most special people in the world. That my friends, is what it is all about!!

Jay

P.S. For those of you wondering, my other 3 upgrades were when I was down for work conferences at the YC (twice) and the GF (once). I was upgraded to a waterview at the Yacht Club (both times with rooms in the exact same section, 5 rooms apart. 3127 the first time and 3137 the second) overlooking the pier and the Boardwalk. And I was upgraded to a lagoon view at the GF, in the same building, and almost an identical view as where I spent my honeymoon back in 1991.

Mousefever
07-27-2009, 12:11 AM
Jen I completely agree with you, I don't ask for an upgrade as you can see we book what we need and want. I'm not going to be tacky and ask some CM for an upgrade, and be at their mercy my luck they'd give me the worst room in the resort.
What I think Disney should do is set limits on the upgrades they grant....views w/in the resorts can be one type, don't upgrade from a value to a deluxe in the club level that's insulting to a guest paying 6k for a stay over someone paying 2k for the same amout of days. Upgrade from Values to Moderates, and then Moderates to Deluxe, then Deluxe to Club Level. Give those in Club level the suites since they are paying more for the rooms in the first place--it makes the most sense and it's fair at least in my head. Everyone this way is upgraded some how, as for views in hotels upgrade within the same hotel or same hotel type.

We booked and stayed in a savannah view room at Animal Kingdom Lodge in 2007, and paid close to 6K for our stay. I can't fathom feeling insulted if another family were granted an upgrade from a value resort to the same level of room I had paid for. I would never begrudge them that magical experience. Life isn't fair. Some people experience a slice of magic because they are at the right place at the right time, some because they have a benefactor that makes their trip possible. I'm happy for people in either situation!

diz_girl
07-27-2009, 11:06 AM
I've never received an upgrade, but I've never asked for one either. I read about them on Intercot, but when I'm at WDW I don't even think about getting or not getting one. My attention is focused on enjoying WDW.

The same thing applied to the Dream Squad during my 2007 and 2008 trips. Before I left, I thought that it might be nice to get something. But it wasn't until I was back on Intercot after my trip that I realized that I didn't see the Dream Squad at all. When I realized that, I just thought, "Oh, well." But I wasn't dissapointed in not getting anything. The same goes for hotel upgrades. I'm just happy to be there.

SurferStitch
07-27-2009, 03:45 PM
I've never asked for an upgrade...just not my style. I figure if it happens, it happens. I think it's wonderful when people get an unexpected upgrade.

We got upgraded for free on DCL in September 2001, just 10 days after 9/11. We had booked a 1 bedroom suite (2 couples), and got upgraded to the 2 bedroom suite. Very nice, and unexpected.

We also got an upgrade to concierge from garden view at the Grand Flo last October. We were surprised at check-in with this wonderful upgrade, and enjoyed 13 days in Sugar Loaf.

Other than that, during 15 or so other WDW vacations, we had no upgrades, and didn't care. We got what we paid for, and didn't ever expect more.