PDA

View Full Version : What kind of upgrade have you received?

daisyhead
07-16-2009, 01:38 AM
I'm always reading about people receiving an upgrade for Savannah View at AKL, for a Tower Room at CR, just curious for everyone, what is the best and most surprising upgrade you've received when checking into your WDW resort?

:mickey:

Seasonscraps
07-16-2009, 02:10 AM
On our HM, we were ugraded from a regular room at the Boardwalk to a garden suite. :cloud9:

jonahbear2006
07-16-2009, 02:38 AM
we were upgraded from a standard room at BC, to a concierge room.

2Epcot
07-16-2009, 03:06 AM
We were upgraded from a standard room at the Disney Institute to a 3 bedroom villa overlooking Downtown Disney. That area ha since become the Saratoga Springs Resort.

We LOVE Disney
07-16-2009, 08:42 AM
We've been there 10 times and have never been offered an upgrade :( Not sure what their rhyme or reason is for giving them out but we are never in the right place at the right time I suppose.

It'sWDW4me
07-16-2009, 09:58 AM
The absolutely best upgrade I ever received and expect to never see again happened about 2 months before I checked in. I was booked for ASMo during the 2007 August free dining promo. In mid-June I received an email congratulating me on being chosen for a free upgrade to my choice of either SS or OKW!!!! I truly thought it was either a scam or I would be subjected to a long DVC sales pitch. Neither was the case. I chose OKW, was booked into a 1-bedroom suite (wow!), and had an amazingly stupendous trip. I later found out that Disney had severely overbooked the Values and had upgraded quite a few reservations at the time. Again, I don't expect I'll ever see that huge an upgrade ever again.

Belle619
07-16-2009, 10:57 AM
The best ever upgrade was during the Year Of A Million Dreams Celebration, we were upgraded from a standard room at the Contemporary to the PRESIDENTIAL SUITE!!! It was honestly bigger than my house! And that view! We were so spoiled!!! :cloud9:

twinboyz
07-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Can you ask if there are any upgrades available?

pox24
07-16-2009, 11:55 AM
We were upgraded to a Junior Suite at the Wilderness Lodge from a standard view room.
It was fantastic. Great view of the lake and overlooking the beach and geyser.

TammiMcMan
07-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Can you ask if there are any upgrades available?From what I've read and experienced myself, you can always ask about upgrades at check-in. The big thing is whether you are asking for it to be free or if you are offering to pay for it. Many CM's have reported that they will not give a free upgrade to someone who is asking for it. Instead, they try to give that bit of Disney magic to someone who's least expecting it. If you are willing to pay, you will usually be quoted the rack rate.

In regards to how and when upgrades are given, it's usually done before you even arrive. With the number of people who report getting upgraded, it does seem like it's pretty common, but in fact, I don't think it happens all that much. Someone mentioned AKL and that's mainly for those who book a standard room. There aren't that many, so for business reasons, when that level sells out, Disney will upgrade guests and re-open those rooms for new sales.

daisyhead
07-16-2009, 12:36 PM
I don't think I would ask, either. Just kind of a lucky thing (well, really lucky for those people who got Suites... the Presidential Suite at CR... I might have fainted! lol)

I'd be will to visit Disney monthly for an entire year, to determine if there is a pattern for upgrades... sure wish I could get a grant to fund that research! :mickey:

Wrigley
07-16-2009, 03:02 PM
For one of our trips, we were booked at CBR and a few days before we left, we received a call from Disney and apparently they had overbooked CBR and had upgraded us to the YC!! It was wonderful! We fell in love with the YC! One other time we were booked in a standard room at WL, and when we checked in they said we had been bumped up to a Villa at no extra charge!! Also, we were booked at a standard room at CR, and were given a room in the tower as an upgrade! Gotta love those upgrades!:mickey:

BluewaterBrad
07-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Nothing TOO exciting. We have gotten prefered rooms for standard price, and waterview rooms also.:mickey:

PixieMagic
07-16-2009, 03:32 PM
We were lucky enough to be upgraded on our Honeymoon from a garden view at Poly to concierge.... It is definitely done ahead of time because the CM was waiting for us and had me come around the counter to "help him" check us in....it was great! He was wonderful and totally surprised us and acted as if I had "messed up" checking us in and got us assigned to an upgrade! :secret: However when we got to our room (bouncing off the walls with excitement) there were autographed pics of characters with well wishes! They had been waiting for us and it was so magical!!:cloud9:

Septbride2002
07-16-2009, 06:22 PM
No upgrades. :(

Lizzie
07-16-2009, 07:20 PM
We went September 2007 for free dinning so we couldn't book the suite at All Star Music like we wanted. It was me and my hubby with twin girls year and a half.

We had asked for a King size bed ahead of time. We were worried about space with two pack n plays. We went to check in around 830 the cast member said a room with two beds was available. My husband asked if we waited if it was possible to get a room with just a king. Her manager overheard the conversation and asked my husband if he could upgrade us to a family suite.

I didn't hear any of this and he came over and asked me and I was like yes please.

It was a great trip. We were able to hang out a night without worrying about keeping the kids up.

Tippy
07-16-2009, 07:22 PM
In April 08 we were updated from standard view room to garden view room at the Contemporary Wing. It was a nice view. I believe the decision was made at check in when the dedk clerk found out at check in that it was our wedding anniversary trip. My DH had given the vacation to Disney as my anniversary present. We had our 2 dd's with us and the room was really nice.

PetefromRI
07-16-2009, 09:05 PM
Standard room to King bed room at the Pop.That's it.I wish they'd upgrade us from the CBR to the Poly in September!

LandFan
07-19-2009, 08:06 PM
We booked AKL Standard room for a week back in 2003 to celebrate DH's recent college graduation. When we got there, they upgraded us to Savannah view right by a giraffe feeding tree! IT was like 5 rooms off the lobby and it was FABULOUS!!! I figure that was our one-time magical upgrade - boy did it make our week! We could never have afforded it!

TheVBs
07-19-2009, 08:37 PM
What great stories! :mickey:

JenniferS.
07-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Last September we were checking in late (11:30 pm) with 3 tired kids at the Contemporary. We had a standard room in the garden wing and were upgraded to a tower room w/ bay lake view. It really made our night...we had a rough travel day and that made it a magical ending.

like2workout
07-20-2009, 09:21 AM
last month as we were checking in to wilderness lodge we were told we were being upgraded to concierge level! it was a great surprise and an amazing experience. i never thought to ask why - i was so excited that it happened.

Bohms4
07-20-2009, 01:21 PM
At WL we booked a Woods View room and were upgraded to a Courtyard View room but the CM didn't tell us. We didn't know until we went to the room. Nice surprise....

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Never got one:(

BMan62
07-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Never got one, never expect to.

BIGDOG
07-20-2009, 02:24 PM
I was given a double scoop of mashed potato at the food court at the CBR at no extra charge does that count?

Daisy'sMom
07-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Never have received an upgrade and most likely never will. But who cares, as long as you are at Disney.:mickey:

mudpuppysmom
07-22-2009, 11:49 PM
Both times we have stayed at AKL we have been upgraded from a std room to a savannah view room - the first time we had a better view of the animals I thought and DS#1 had a better time in that room with that view, but I enjoyed both of them -- unexpected and very nice to have bestowed on us I thought!

TheRustyScupper
07-23-2009, 07:10 AM
. . . what is the best and most surprising upgrade you've received . . .

Let's see:
1) From Pop Standard to SSR one-bedroom
2) From WL Standard view to Courtyard view
3) From WL Standard to Club Floor
4) From CR Standard to Tower Club Floor

magicofdisney
07-23-2009, 08:19 AM
We were upgraded from POR to The Grand Floridian. :cloud9: We got a call from Disney the day before asking if we minded if they switch us over. As fabulous as that was (and believe me I didn't turn them down) there can be downsides when you haven't fully planned for it.

MushuGrl
07-23-2009, 11:27 AM
Yes Toyman it counts! :mickey:

Last year we booked a standard room a Pop. When we arrived, we found our room was right next to Food Court!

Mousemates
07-23-2009, 11:56 AM
my fave was being moved from a wing to the tower at MK.

KatMark
07-23-2009, 02:56 PM
We've received an upgrade from a garden view to a tower with castle view at the CR; a standard view to a water view at the Poly; a stndard view to a water view at the Coronado (numerous times) and last year we received an upgrade from a standard view to a junior suite at the Coronado.