PDA

View Full Version : End of Jan Beginning of Feb?

fanofdisney
07-15-2009, 03:43 PM
How is the weather at the end of Jan and beginning of Feb? I looked at the weather section in info central and it appears it is nice enough to possibly swim? Those of you who go at this time what do you think? How about crowds? We usually go the end of Oct/beginning of Nov so we've been a little spoiled when it comes to waiting in line for rides:mickey:

danicafan
07-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Well maybe we just had a bad experience this past January, the weather was really cold we even had to buy scarfs, hats, and gloves. I know it was unseasonably cold but the crowds were the worst I have ever experienced. I honestly thought the parks would not be crowded and that was NOT the case. A ton of Brazialian tour groups. I just got back on Sunday from my trip July 2-11th and it was actually less crowded at the parks the 2nd - 6th than it was January 18-25th. Go figure!!

Disney Doll
07-15-2009, 05:44 PM
We love late Jan early Feb! The pools are heated and there are always people swimming, but I prefer not to unless the kids make me because it is a little cool for swimming IMHO. The weather really varies that time of year so be prepared for anything. Some years we've had temps in the 80's and some years we've seen frost. Usually I can get by with jeans, a t-shirt, and a jacket that I can remove in the heat of the day. However, some years we have hit the parks in scarfs and gloves so you never know. Personally I'd much rather be chilly than hot and the crowds are not bad at all. We went in late October last year and I thought it was a little more crowded than what we see in Jan/Feb, but that was just one trip. They do have cheer/pom/dance competitions around that time (not sure of exact dates). I mention it because I know some people try to avoid those groups. However, they've never been a bother to us. I think it's a nice time of year to go.

swampfox28
07-15-2009, 06:51 PM
GREAT time to go (barring Pop Warner and other big conventions) because it's not too crowded. Mardi Gras can make it busy, but not as bad as other events like Christmas and New Years.

We've done that time and had it be cool and nice. ALMOST too cool for the water parks, but not quite, and not TOO hot - so just right IMO.

-Sarah

Disney1977
07-16-2009, 05:30 PM
We went the last week of January 2009.

The crowds were low. We did see the Brazilian Tour Groups on Sunday but they were gone by Monday. We had a great week for weather, we even went to Blizzard Beach.

Have fun.

fanofdisney
07-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Thanks for your opinions. Sounds like we could be in for anything. This is going to be a tough decision. We are looking at Jan 16-23 or Feb 27-March 6. :confused:

MinnieMommie
07-18-2009, 03:16 PM
In my experience you will have better and more predictable weather at the end of October and beginning of November than the end of January and beginning of February. January weather can be all over the place but I have had more consistently decent weather at the end of the month. The crowds during this time are small and should be less than October. If you are planning for the end of February through the beginning of March the weather should be warmer than in January but attendance in the parks will be higher (but not the highest volume). October is a beautiful month at WDW! :mickey:

threeh
07-20-2009, 04:16 PM
We've gone twice this time of year and really lucked out. Last year it was cold (30degrees at night) only the last day of our trip. Crowd wise it is very nice, not busy at all. Last 2 years we had temps in the 70's during the day. There was a cold front prior to and after our trip but we did well. I do end up packing more coats and things and even brought gloves for the kiddos last trip but I just keep checking the weather prior to our trip to see how it looks. I live near lake erie in PA so escaping to warm sunny florida is such a treat in the winter. No shoveling there, which may indeed bias my opinion of the time of year!!
I should add my only downside is there seem to be lots of referbs during this time. We are lucky enough to go every year so if we miss an attraction one year we just check it out the next time, but it does seem like something good is always in rehab when we go. That's my only complaint!!
We are going this year in November but only because DH couldn't get the time off in January, otherwise I would have gone again!!

HAppy planning:mickey:

Aggie97
07-20-2009, 06:32 PM
We love going to WDW in late January - early February.

The crowd level is pretty low if you avoid the holiday weekends. We visited in late October 2008 and really enjoyed that time of year as well. I would say the Oct. crowd level was slightly higher than what we've experienced in Jan./Feb.

As much as we love WDW's special holiday festivities, decorations, and music, it also is nice to visit during this non-holiday time.

A previous poster cautioned about ride refurbs at this time of year -- Splash Mountain frequently is closed. We are fine with that, but it may be a deal breaker for some. :)

We prefer cool weather, but it definitely can be variable: on some trips we've worn shorts every day and had highs well into the 80s, while on others we've worn jeans and long sleeves with heavy jackets at night. On some trips, we've seen both types of weather (which does make packing a little challenging). But -- we've never had any rain during our Jan./Feb. trips!

Whatever you decide, have a great time! :mickey:

DisneyAndRedSox
07-21-2009, 07:12 AM
Thanks for your opinions. Sounds like we could be in for anything. This is going to be a tough decision. We are looking at Jan 16-23 or Feb 27-March 6. :confused:

We did Jan in '06, 07, 08 and 09. Every year we could swim except '09. This year it was colder than usual all over Florida for several weeks in January! In 2010 we are trying out Feb 26 to March 7, I am really hoping it is just a little bit warmer than Jan!

FYI, if you go in January MLK Day is Jan 18th, that first weekend could be a little busy!

EDIT- yes, Splash Mountin was closed pretty much every year in January that I have gone. I haven't been on it in ages. Can't wait until 2010 to ride it again!

diz_girl
07-21-2009, 09:59 AM
We were there in 2007, from 28 January to 3 February. Thankfully, no Brazilian tour groups at that time. It was quite cold at the beginning of our trip (coats, hats, gloves, etc.), but by Wednesday it had warmed up considerably and by the end of the week the highs were close to 80. So it is possible to go swimming in January or February, but you definitely need to prepare for any kind of weather during that time of year. My last trip was in December, which was also cooler in the beginning of the week.

There is one drawback to going to WDW in the cooler months. You don't get the warm Florida evenings like you do in June. I did missed that. So my next trip might be in September or late August, but unfortunately it will probably be two years from now.:(

MushuGrl
07-21-2009, 11:51 AM
We're also thinking about going the last week in January. I'm not worried about the weather (I'd rather it be cool than scorching hot).

However this is the first I've heard of the tour groups. How big of a problem does this present?