PDA

View Full Version : On my way to Omaha, Nebraska!!! Anything to know?

mouseketeer mom
07-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Leaving in the am for Omaha, Nebraska, 4 days, Old Market section. DH is working a day, I'm taking the kids to the zoo that day, but other than that, anything to see or do or know? Any great restaurants? Any state neighboring NE, that might be worth driving to for the day? Saturday is completely open for us! Thinking of a drive to Iowa or Kansas. We've never been to the midwest..

cubbie
07-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Omaha is a laid back town, but plenty of entertainment can be found if you look around. Good choice to check out the zoo, but while you're in the area, take a look at Rosenblatt Stadium. It's been the home of the College World Series for almost 60 years. In two years, the stadium will probably be gone with the zoo expanding, so make time just to see it. The Omaha Royals (AAA team for the KC Royals) are playing there this weekend, with fireworks after the Friday night game.

The Old Market is a beautiful area. Take the kids for some ice cream at Ted & Wally's. Near the Market is the Gene Leahey Mall, which is is a nice little lake and path around it. The kids might enjoy the speed slides or some other neat things around the lake. Also nearby is the Qwest Center (home of Creighton basketball and the US Olympic Swim Trials) and the Louis and Clark Landing, which is basically a walkway along the river.

Take a drive west and visit the Boystown area and Village Pointe outdoor mall. You could also go to FunPlex, which is a small amusement park.

If you want to visit some other midwest city, I would recommend Kansas City. It's less than 3 hours away, and there is plenty there to do. The College Basketball Experience is a fun way to spend a few hours, plus the KC Royals are in town, if you want to see some baseball. There is also a large outdoor mall called Legends, which I recommend. Kansas City is a beautiful place, and definitely worth the drive.

This is a brief overview of things to do. PM me if you have any questions, or want a specific recommendation about restaurants in Omaha. While you're here, don't forget to bring back some Omaha Steaks (best in the world).

MarkC
07-16-2009, 11:38 AM
I think Cubbie sold you a little short on the zoo. It is one of the top zoos in the world. Asthetically it's not great, but their animal exhibits and building are unsurpassed. You will need most of a day there and be very tired from all the walking at the end of it. If you still have time, head west on I-80 about 15 minutes to the SAC Air Museum. The kids will love it and it's also adjacent to one of the top 10 state parks in the nation (Mahoney). You can find info on both of those if you google them. So you should find plenty do without leaving the area. Enjoy. You can send me a pm as well if you need more info or want to follow up on your visit. And Cubbie is right about Omaha Steaks. Mark

Scott C
07-18-2009, 04:33 PM
I think Cubbie sold you a little short on the zoo. It is one of the top zoos in the world. Asthetically it's not great, but their animal exhibits and building are unsurpassed. You will need most of a day there and be very tired from all the walking at the end of it. If you still have time, head west on I-80 about 15 minutes to the SAC Air Museum. The kids will love it and it's also adjacent to one of the top 10 state parks in the nation (Mahoney). You can find info on both of those if you google them. So you should find plenty do without leaving the area. Enjoy. You can send me a pm as well if you need more info or want to follow up on your visit. And Cubbie is right about Omaha Steaks. Mark

+1 on the SAC Museum -- but that is kinda up my alley.

Thanks
Scott C