PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Mickey tree grove mystery??

Aurora
07-15-2009, 03:29 PM
I was looking on Google Maps for Disney World and zooming in on the resort when I noticed a hidden mickey logo landscape west/northwest of the parks! It looks like, I'm guessing, an orange grove grown into the shape.

Check it out -- it is southeast of Lake Louisa, just east of Trout Lake and Route 27, where Shell Pond Road turns from north/south to east/west.

What is this?????

diz_girl
07-16-2009, 10:38 AM
You're right, it is a hidden mickey. That's pretty cool. I'd be surprised if it wasn't intended as a hidden mickey. Nice catch!

I checked Google for a little more information and it looks like it was planted sometime between January 23, 1990 and March 5, 1994. It is supposedly the world's largest hidden mickey and was planted by Disney cast member volunteers in the early 1990s and contains some 50,000 slash pines. Possibly in the 02/20/92 edition of the Disney newsletter "eyes and ears" cast members were invited to help plant trees on the right ear of Mickey. Disney owns a lot of land, so this may have possibly been owned by the Reedy Creek Development Corp.

I found a two-year-old article from the Orlando Sentinel. Here's the link (hopefully it's OK to do so).

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/community_conway_blog/2007/07/the-mystery-of-.html

Aurora
07-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Amanda, you are awesome!! Thank you for all the information you dug up! I'm so excited!