PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive or Free thing to Do in WDW

Jessietoystory2
07-14-2009, 07:02 PM
I was just wondering do any of you have suggestions of inexpensive or free things I can do with my family in WDW? Your suggestions would be very helpful.

eam
07-14-2009, 07:48 PM
On one overnight trip we didn't have the money to buy passes, so we just rode all of the different boats all day. Visited resorts and rode the boats. We had a great time.

faline
07-14-2009, 07:59 PM
* Visit the horse barn in Fort Wilderness.
* Sit on the porch at Pioneer Hall and rock in the rocking chairs.
* Go to Downtown Disney and wander through all the shops.
* Sit on the beach at the Poly and watch the Electrical Water Pageant and the Magic Kingdom fireworks.
* Ride the monorail to Epcot. Take it back to the Ticket & Transportation area and transfer to the resort monorail. Visit each of monorail resorts.
* Spend time at the pool at your resort.
* Go to Wilderness Lodge. Ask the desk for a hidden Mickey hint sheet and go on a Hidden Mickey hunt.

None of these items will cost you any money.

DisneyCrazyET
07-14-2009, 08:27 PM
POR - Piano Bob. great fun for everyone. Usually Wed - Sat nights

faline
07-14-2009, 08:36 PM
There's also the movie and singalong in Fort Wilderness every night that is free. A few of the other resorts have also added free evening movies.

More:
* Go to Animal Kingdom Lodge and wander around the outside areas to watch the animals.
* At the same resort, attend the evening storytelling around the fire pit.

biodtl
07-14-2009, 09:57 PM
For free souvenirs - there are several locations in Epcot (Innoventions, Imagination, Mexico pavilion are 3 I can think of right now) where you can take photos/video, and manipulate them - add messages, photoshop them, etc and send them as emails. Send them to yourselves (and others) and you have a fun reminder waiting at home.

offwego
07-14-2009, 11:24 PM
AKL also has many unique works of art and offers a tour of them (self guided and guided I believe).
Also the boardwalk area has a number of things to look at and see in the evenings.
One other option for inexpensive that I can think of would be something like a picnic made of homemade (pbj perhaps) sandwhiches enjoyed in your room or by the pool at your resort.

mudpuppysmom
07-14-2009, 11:42 PM
If you go to the parks....in Epcot be sure to visit Club Cool (or whatever it's called now.....) and be sure to taste all the different soda from around the world!

Also, if you are going around the holidays visit several or all of the resorts -- they all have decorations with different themes -- that is more than a day in itself!! Heck, just visiting different resorts to explore is a mini vacation!

The other ideas posted are great too!!

Goof42
07-15-2009, 12:54 AM
Don't forget that if you have to get drinks, be sure to ask for ice water. I believe all disney restaurants still have free ice water although they will almost all try to sell you the bottled water first... :)

I almost got away with 3 ice waters on the way out of DHS but the wife wanted a lemonade and chips so 3 waters and a lemonade and chips.

i did get 3 "just ice waters" at Disney Quest..wasn't sure if they would do it since it's not one of the parks but they did. it was a small but it was cold and wet...

you can also go to Contemporary or one of the other resorts and catch the fireworks. contemporary used to have the audio piped in as well on the patio.

if you're willing to pay for parking or can get dropped off, there are a couple of rock-n-roll oriented scavenger hunts at Gaylord Palms Resort and they also have a nice area to explore that you could spend a few hours exploring and relaxing.

epceddie
07-15-2009, 02:00 AM
I think some resorts (not sure exactly whice ones) offer a Disney movie night at the pool. Watching a movie in the water sounds pretty cool to me.

Jessietoystory2
07-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Thank you for all your help. My family and I will be leaving in just one week. I am going to look into the Hidden Mickey thing. My 6 yr.old DD would love that! Our family is having dinner at the Poly so after maybe we will go to the beach for the electrical parade and fireworks. These were all great ideas. Keep them coming!!!

DisneyAndRedSox
07-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Not sure on ages of your kids... there are pony rides at FW that are supposed to be cheap

From website 'recreation' page:
Come on down to the Tri-Circle-D Ranch and Farm to meet the petite ponies who call it home. The Trots for Tots pony rides (Guests ages 2 and older and under 45 inches) offer an ideal introduction to our four-legged equine friends.

Mini golf

mouseneer
07-17-2009, 02:42 AM
This one's good depending on how old your kids are; and if you're first time guests, which seems to be the case. In the Magic Kingdom,the first building on the right of Main Street USA is Town Square Expo Hall (Tony's restaurant is in there too). Go in and tell them it's your kids first visit and they'll give you '1st time visit' buttons to where the rest of the week. It might not sound like much, but they're very special and the cast members will treat your kids extra special. Have fun !!

faline
07-17-2009, 10:16 AM
First visitor buttons are available at Guest Relations at each of the parks and at your resort desk as well.

mainemajor
07-17-2009, 09:33 PM
I think some resorts (not sure exactly whice ones) offer a Disney movie night at the pool. Watching a movie in the water sounds pretty cool to me.

All Star Music is one of these.
It's also fun walking around on the Boardwalk at night.

Simba's Mom
07-18-2009, 03:57 PM
There's also the movie and singalong in Fort Wilderness every night that is free. A few of the other resorts have also added free evening movies.

More:
* Go to Animal Kingdom Lodge and wander around the outside areas to watch the animals.
* At the same resort, attend the evening storytelling around the fire pit.

There are movies on the beach every night at Y&BC. And I know from experience that you don't have to be staying there to participate. If it's raining the movies are held in the Solarium. The schedule's posted on a board at the beach in front of the BC. When we were at OKW in May, they also had movies there 2-3 nights a week. And I hear that GF has them nightly.