PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest Souvenir (I need 30!)

daisyhead
07-14-2009, 03:13 PM
I'd love to bring something back for my students, but would need 30!

Are there any other "cheap" items in the parks, like maybe candy? I was even thinking we could stop at Goofy's Candy Company on the way back?

How much are pencils?

Thanks!

DizneyRox
07-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Pressed pennies I think are still $.51 each. That's probably your cheapest, unless you're only giving people one piece of candy.

If that's the case, you can get a box of popcorn or some roasted nuts.

The pennies will run you $15.30...

daisyhead
07-14-2009, 04:23 PM
THAT is a wonderful idea! Thank you so much! That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for!

DisneyAggies
07-14-2009, 04:29 PM
If you ask a CM, they'll probably give you 30 of the stickers they hand out to the kids while at WDW. I know personally, my boys have been given half a roll before (just because the CM thought they were cute! :secret: LOL) Park maps are another option, although 30 is quite a bit...my students LOVED looking at mine! (I would take a few of my old ones in for them to look at)

Otherwise, I'd stick with candy, a few bags of erasers, or the like. A set of 6 pencils will probably run about $4.00-$6.00. Erasers--probably about the same...They also have scrapbook sticker sets with CUTE stickers...

DeniseMB
07-14-2009, 04:33 PM
MIickey Mouse shaped straws :mickey:
Mickey Mouse shaped rice krispy treats :mickey:

Dznygrl79
07-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Castmembers will give you stickers if you tell them you are a teacher, also I had a pre k class and I purchased a classroom book and and character crayon set.
And we had snack time everyday so I grabbed a few extra napkins at each quickservice and served snack on them the day I came back and as a special treat a few months later, it also served as a great memory for me. Have fun the pressed pennies are also a great idea.

cer
07-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Maps of the park are great FREE souvenirs and you might even be able to use them in a lesson.

hoop de do
07-14-2009, 05:39 PM
My son is a teacher and we always get something for his students. In the past we have got pencils and rulers. Also, we get some of the space food and he cuts it in half so you would only need 15. I forget the cost but the kids really liked them. Hope I helped. Have a great vaca. :thumbsup:

Mammabruski
07-14-2009, 05:49 PM
I teach HS, so I always get two bags of Goofy's Salt Water Taffy. I like this as a treat because they are individually wrapped. I don't know if taffy is age appropriate for your kiddos though. :mickey:

kathiep
07-14-2009, 08:21 PM
For younger kids, you can pick up pack of the Mickey head lollipops. I think they come in a group of 5. I don't remember the price but I grabbed quite a few last year so they couldn't be too much.

crazeedizneefinatic
07-15-2009, 02:33 PM
I didn't need as many as you but I asked our housekeeper at the resort for 10 of the mickey soaps last trip and she gave them to us......not sure if you can go to the front desk and ask for them but the kiddos I gave them to loved them and it was something useful too.:mickey:

Your little ones can remember mickey everytime they take a bath....also nothing beats free!

FlaTinkRAMESAM
07-15-2009, 07:22 PM
The Mickey Straws are great... I did that for my kids once... the straws are $.53 each!!! (or at least they were last time I bought them!!!) You can get 30 for about $16.

DVC stickers are cool too...my kids love those. Also, the plain Mickey ones. Just tell the CMs you are a teacher.

Try the scrapbooking store at DTD. There are tons of stickers and little tags and stuff that might interest you!

Belster
07-15-2009, 09:15 PM
I have brought back rice crispy mickey treats before....just a thought. They love them!!! In addition to that I always too various park maps and brochures to put into my reading bins...the kids can use them when you do map lessons and other fun things...plus they just like to read them...

Another thought you could have characters sign post cards and leave them on the kids desks the first day of school. :mickey:

Susan A
07-15-2009, 10:23 PM
These are all great ideas. As a former teacher and mom, be careful with food. Many children have allergies to foods. :ill:

Have you thought of having a class set of markers, pens or pencils? You could have a writing station where students could use these special supplies.
Have fun!

Marceline
07-15-2009, 10:28 PM
Squished pennies are your best bet....if your feeling generous.....go for the squished quarters. :thumbsup::mickey:

DisneyPrincess21
07-16-2009, 01:28 AM
I'd love to bring something back for my students, but would need 30!

Are there any other "cheap" items in the parks, like maybe candy? I was even thinking we could stop at Goofy's Candy Company on the way back?

How much are pencils?

Thanks!

I am also a Teacher and always bring all of my students a gift from WDW but I couldn't decide what to buy for 20 kids without cleaning out my wallet. I found the best thing for the price was the Mickey shaped straws (you can get them at the food court in your Disney hotel) I believe they are only $.50/Straw. And the kids got a kick out of them.

I also purchased 2 boxes of Florida salt water taffy at the local walmart in Kissimmee, they were around $3/box and I gave each kid a Mickey straw and a few pieces of Florida salt water taffy.

So for the straw and taffy it ended up only costing around $.80 per kid. That's pretty darn inexpensive for a WDW souvenir if you ask me.

Mousemates
07-16-2009, 07:17 AM
Pressed pennies

IloveDisney71
07-16-2009, 07:31 AM
I have brought back rice crispy mickey treats before....just a thought. They love them!!! In addition to that I always too various park maps and brochures to put into my reading bins...the kids can use them when you do map lessons and other fun things...plus they just like to read them...

Another thought you could have characters sign post cards and leave them on the kids desks the first day of school. :mickey:

I have never thought about putting Disney maps in a reading section. That is a GREAT idea! I will have to grab some extras on my next trip! Thanks for the idea. :thumbsup:

Normangirls
07-17-2009, 02:25 PM
My daughters love to take back gifts for their classes, and I have always had a lot of luck at Mickey's Mart in Downtown Disney. We usually find pencils, erasers and stickers really cheap!

tinksmom02
07-18-2009, 05:27 PM
When I taught pre-k, I woudl bring back Mickey straws for my kids (I never had more than 12, though). I also brought maps home for them to look at, and I grabbed some rice candy from Japan for when we learned about Japan.

I usually have DD get a big bag of Chip and Dale's pretzels for her to take in and share with her class. Costs less than $4, I think.

alaMode
07-18-2009, 10:20 PM
blue WDW autograph book (10.00) filled with autographs that I collect just for my students. I have different colored markers for the characters to use to make the book especially bright.

I teach ESL students grades K-5, so it's really fun to watch my primary students decode the autographs and figure out which character wrote it. The intermediate students like to compare the books year to year to see if there any new additions. They marvel at how the autographs are so consistently made year after year.

The character stickers were a fun addition this year--I collected as many as I could so my students could stick them next to the corresponding autograph. This helped some of my younger students read the autographs independently.

I also bring back maps, daily schedules, and anything else my students can read and enjoy!

Tess
poly07
poly08
pop09
pop Christmas 09

tjstrike
07-21-2009, 02:55 AM
There's a store in DTD (it's actually like a clearance aisle in between 2 stores) that sells all kinds of Disney stuff really cheap. Some stuff is 10 for $1.00, and everything is under $10

goofysbabe
07-21-2009, 09:06 AM
One year I bought a couple packs of postcards and some taffy. Price wasn't too bad and the kids loved them, they would ask me about them or tell me their own stories about Disney ..... we had alot of fun :)

DisneyOtaku
07-21-2009, 11:11 AM
This is another vote for the Mickey Straws. Cheap and amazing! I bought one for my 19 year old sister and she flipped out :mickey:

Young@Heart
07-21-2009, 02:44 PM
I love the pressed penny idea. I was going to suggest this, too. And you could get 30 of the same design, or 30 different designs....whatever you wanted! :mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-21-2009, 07:48 PM
The Mickey straws are perfect! I love them, even though I'm a grown-up kid.

We've also got the sets of pens/pencils (I think they ran about a dollar each), and sets of Mickey-head or Pooh-head lollipops (these were snack credits, so around $4 for 5!)

I also love the idea of park maps...the kids would really enjoy those too!

Buttercup
07-22-2009, 01:36 PM
What about buying a few packs of pencils or pens and giving each kid one? That's kind-of "school" related and cool for a teacher to bring!

EPCOT84
07-24-2009, 10:57 PM
I like the Mickey straw idea. How about picking up park maps in all the different languages? That might be fun for the classroom. They can trade them.

MistressGracey
07-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Lots of responses to this question!

I agree that kids LOVE the park maps. Maybe buy a few lollipop bouquets and seprate them and give each child a lollipop taped to a park map?

I have also bought "character" hot chocolate powder (it's colored!) and measured out individual servings into cellophane bags tied with ribbons. This was a big hit and the kids have to take this treat home to enjoy it (no classroom mess :thumbsup:).

ElenitaB
08-03-2009, 09:42 AM
When my DS was younger, we always bought pencils for him to give to the teacher who would then distribute them to the class. My cousin, who's a special ed teacher who sees kids on an individual basis, would get the straws.

For the teachers' lounge, I would get (and still do) get boxes of chocolate-covered Mickey pretzels. :tasty:

Ropachs
08-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Park maps! My son loves looking/reading them, even months after our trip.

Immabuhm
08-07-2009, 05:33 PM
I usually need 30 items to bring back to work. Once I asked a CM at an Animal Kingdom shop if I could purchase 30 of the Disney Conservation Fund buttons at $1 each. A little more expensive but everyone appreciated that the money went to support conservation efforts.

Darbylew
08-07-2009, 09:23 PM
I love the Mickey staw idea and also the pressed pennies. I have been to the little store
at DTD and you can pick up things for kids that
they will love. It is a clearance shop.

chrisb26
08-07-2009, 10:43 PM
I like the pressed penny idea although that could take a while to do 30 :D

The map idea is also neat I know when I was young I loved looking at maps to be honest I still like looking at them even though I know where everything in the parks are :secret:

I'm not sure what grade you teach but I know somebody was talking about teaching ESL and getting maps. They make Disney maps in many languages for all cultures it would be neat to get different language maps so the students can compare the English version with one in their own language.

luvmyboys4ever
08-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Chip-n-Dale pretzels are great, inexpensive, healthy treats. My boys always bring treats back from our vacations, so it can be costly. You can buy several large bags for around $3.50 each or individual bags for around $0.80 each...that's what they were priced when we went. We've done pencils, magnets, candy...but the pretzels were the biggest hit. Pretzels shaped like Mickey heads...what could be better than that? :thumbsup:

DisneyMiMi
08-10-2009, 09:24 AM
If you have transportation, hit your local Wal-Mart. It has an entire section dedicated for Disney. We brought back 2 items plus a magnet for each child (17) in my granddaughter's kindergarten class and it was not too expensive. Huge selection!