PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic - is the dinner package really necessary

disneykid99
07-14-2009, 10:59 AM
We have not done Fantasmic since 2003 when DD was only a baby. We thought we would do it again this year but cannot decide if we really need to do the dinner package or not. Does it really get that crowded for the show? There are not may place in HS that we have not eaten and DH wants to try something new. Can we get a decent seat without the package and without arriving 60min before?

Thanks for the help:mickey:

rjmdds
07-14-2009, 11:36 AM
We love the dinner package mainly because it allows more park time before the show. We don't worry about having to get there early enough to get a seat. The reserved seating is off to the right but the presentation is so large that we have no problem at all with seeing everything. We love eating dinner early, hitting some attractions and then heading over to our seats. We typically eat at the Brown Derby too.

DizneyRox
07-14-2009, 12:08 PM
We have never done the dinner package and never been turned away with the theater full. But, we usually don't wait until the last minute either.

With the reduced showings, I've heard it's back to two hour waits, which is unfortunate. If you want, I would see about catching it without reservations early in your trip, if t's full, you can plan around another date.

thatkindofday
07-14-2009, 12:09 PM
I've gone to Fantasmic both with and without the dinner package. My preference is definately the dinner package. I've waited in line as long as 2 and a half hours (in the middle of June, mind you) to get a seat and still ended up in the very back of the bleachers. When we did the dinner package, we got there about 30 minutes (in September) before showtime and there were plenty of seats in the reserved area.

mom2morgan
07-14-2009, 12:13 PM
When we went (never having been there before), we came an hour before and thought "Score! Look at all those seats free...right down in front!". Uh huh - chilly December evening and we got SOAKED and were thoroughly cold and miserable. Next time we go we'll definitely do the dinner package...or else, pack lots of books and games and be prepared to stake out a spot very early.

MOJoe
07-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Is the Fantasmic Dining package necessary? No. Can it be convenient in your situation? Probably.

I have never used the package. Due to the fact, i have never seen the first showing. We always go to Fantasmic when 2 shows are scheduled. We get in line 20 or 30 minutes before the show and have never had a problem getting good seats.
We love the Brown Derby, but the package required us to eat late in the afternoon. So the timing was not acceptable for us. If it weren't for that, i might consider using it.

Babe the Blue Ox
07-14-2009, 12:29 PM
We have not done Fantasmic since 2003 when DD was only a baby. We thought we would do it again this year but cannot decide if we really need to do the dinner package or not. Does it really get that crowded for the show? There are not may place in HS that we have not eaten and DH wants to try something new. Can we get a decent seat without the package and without arriving 60min before?

Are you going on a day when Fantasmic is performed once or twice? If its only being presented once, or if you prefer the early showing you should plan on a 90 minutes wait. If you purchase the dining package, you should still plan on a 60 minute wait as they no longer have a separate entrance for guests with reservations. Also, once the general seating area is full they won't hold the reserved area any longer and will allow the regular guests to take any remaining reserved seats. There have been several recent reports of guests with reservations being turned away 30 minutes before showtime.

However, if the show is being performed twice you should be able to keep your wait time to a minumum. Throughout the summer, the late Fantasmic show has been performed to about 50-75% capacity. To put that into perspective, the sections that are held for dining package reservations are often not even used during the late performance as they are really some of the least desirable seating areas of the stadium.

I hope this helps and enjoy the show.

bruin1344
07-14-2009, 12:54 PM
i dont do the package because im not crazy about any of the DHS restaurants

PETE FROM NYC
07-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Last trip in March 2007, we had the dinner package, but we were turned away due to crowds.
We did make the 2nd showing but felt gypped because we spent the extra $$$, when in the Studios we usually do CS meals.

Lizzie
07-14-2009, 07:16 PM
We have done the dinning package on our last two trips. But things have changes since than. We would still do it though. We enjoy the restaurant we always eat at and with small children its hard waiting for so long for something.

DisneyFanaticDargon
07-15-2009, 06:34 AM
It honestly depends on what your preference is for seeing the show. It's in an amphitheater and the seats for the dinner package are the two furthest right sections.

If you're like me and like having a centered view of the stage, then you're better off waiting in line and trying to get a seat in the Mickey section (getting towards the front in this section is actually surprisingly easy in the off-season. I've never seen a show where I wasn't front and center).

However, if this isn't an issue for it, I'm sure you'd like the convenience of not having to wait in a long line to get a good seat.

Gooftroop5
07-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Everyone mentions a 90 minute - 2 hour wait for Fantasmic, however how much of this is actually standing in line before they allow people in to sit down?

My mom really wants to go this trip but I can't see how I can get a 4 yo & 5 yo to wait in line for 2 hours.

In a way I hope they run a 2nd show we would go to that.

DisneyFanaticDargon
07-15-2009, 11:01 AM
I believe they start letting people in 90 minutes before the start of the show. So if they say it'll be 90 minutes, that means you can walk right in and get a seat. 2 hours? That means you'll be waiting in line outside the gates leading to the theater for half an hour prior to them letting people in.

Gooftroop5
07-15-2009, 11:07 AM
I believe they start letting people in 90 minutes before the start of the show. So if they say it'll be 90 minutes, that means you can walk right in and get a seat. 2 hours? That means you'll be waiting in line outside the gates leading to the theater for half an hour prior to them letting people in.

Thanks :thumbsup: that helps a lot. Waiting 90 minutes where we can sit down with them then there are a lot more things we can do to keep them occupied.

I am sure they will still be asking when it starts non stop but the whining they are tired of standing will be minimal.

DizneyRox
07-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Don't forget, the walkway to Fantasmic is a very long one. Depending on where you are in that line, it may take 1/2 hour to even reach the theater!

Maybe I'm following this wrong.

Many times, you will need to show up some 2 hours before the show. If you do that, chance are you'll be fairly close to the front of the line for Fantasmic. So, at the 90 minute mark, you'll start movng towards the theater and be able to be seated. You'll then be waiting in your seats for some 90 minutes for the show to start.

If you line up at the 90 minute mark, you'll probably be down near sunset boulevard, and it could take a 1/2 hour to even reach the top where you can enter and be seated.

They are allowing people in at 90 minutes? For some reason 45 sounds better, but I forget.

buzznwoodysmom
07-15-2009, 11:52 AM
We were just there in June and saw Fantasmic on June 15th and we did not do the dining package. We did go to the second showing and it was not a bad wait at all. We got in line and it moved quickly and we had a fairly centered seat all the way in the second row. I would say that from the time we got into the line, got to our seats, and waited for the show to start we waited an hour or less. We don't do the Fantasmic dining package because I am not really fond of the options. We've watched Fantasmic on every trip and we've never had any problems with an extremely long wait or not getting a seat.

NJGIRL
07-15-2009, 12:14 PM
The dinner package was not needed back in Oct but we had it and bypassed a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry long line waiting to get in.
Everyone eventally did get in but I bet they were in line for over an hour.

I know it's not really that popular but we enjoy Hollywood and Vine. They have a great selection of food. It has always been fresh, hot and tasty.

aurora, ariel, and bell
07-15-2009, 01:37 PM
We went last September during free dining. We were on the boat ride from Epcot to MGM and didn't think we would make it into the park (closing time). Just made it through the gates and went directly to Fantasmic (only showing that night) and sat at the back but in the center...no problem no wait.

HoosierDisneyFan
07-16-2009, 07:12 PM
How can you tell if there is going to be 2 shows? Is this information on the Disney website. I would like to know beforehand so we can make plans on which park to visit on which day.

disneykid99
07-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Thank you all for the info. Looks like if we want to see the show we should keep our dining plans for the Fantasmic dining package and eat at MM and still plan to get there plenty early.

CaptSmee
07-19-2009, 11:12 PM
we've done it a couple times but it's not necessary

DisneyHoneymooners
07-20-2009, 01:23 PM
We have done the Fanstasmic dinner package the last two years and while the concept is good, and not having to wait as long is also good, we're not so crazy about the fact that you cannot make a reservation for anything after 6pm and you can only go to the first show. We always feel like we can't do a whole lot between dinner and the show.

KAJUNKING
07-20-2009, 01:41 PM
never done the package but the last time we saw it was 2 years ago in sept, and there was no wait for the 2nd showing we went about 20 mins before the show and got 3rd row seats a little off to the left but there were probably 2 more sections of seats empty. i know the guys on the wdw today podcast have talked about it and thought that it was a waste that the seats were terrible, because they were so far off to the right, but anyway good luck