PDA

View Full Version : January days to avoid

DisneyAddict62
07-14-2009, 10:00 AM
We are trying to plan a January 2010 trip, and I keep seeing to avoid marathon days, etc. Does anyone know what days these are?

Then we were thinking New Year's Eve to Sunday. I figured with was not a good idea due to crowds. Anyone been at this time? We usually go during Thanksgiving, so we are used to crowds, but it would be nice to go just in January and enjoy no crowds for a change!

DisneyAndRedSox
07-14-2009, 10:30 AM
I would avoid up to the 4th. After that it will be a little busy during Marathon or MLK weekends, but NOTHING like Thanksgiving!

We were there Marathon weekend this year and we only hit one traffic jam driving to Magic Kingdom (from 192 area, in front of DHS). The only rides with a long wait time were Soarin and Toy Story, otherwise we really didn't notice a crowd!

KronkHere
07-14-2009, 10:46 AM
01/09/10 - Half Marathon
01/10/10 - Full Marathon

Cant wait...I dont expect big crowds in the park though, I would imagine a lot of the runners are local to within a couple of hours drive...Its my first time - we will see...

:walk:

kdbianchini
07-14-2009, 11:56 AM
We have been 2 different times during Marathon weekend and the crowds are not heavy at all. Very managable. We used Disney transportation because alot of roads are closed for runners. It can be difficult to get around the property on your own, but otherwise, a great time to go in my opinion.

Disney Doll
07-14-2009, 03:16 PM
We went once during the marathon and crowds were still pretty light. I would avoid the 1st few days of the month to let the holiday crowds clear out. I've always heard that New Year's is pretty busy.

MinnieMommie
07-14-2009, 10:12 PM
We have visited Disney during every week of the month and even when it is a more crowded time of the month it is not mobbed. We have visited New Year's Eve to the marathon weekend and it was a busy time especially late at night in the parks. We are going Jan 1 through the marathon weekend 2010 again this year (have a runner in the family). If it were too crowded though I would not be visiting. January is a decent month to visit. :mickey:

swampfox28
07-15-2009, 12:28 AM
Isn't Pop Warner in January? I've heard to avoid that, too, crowd-wise...

epceddie
07-15-2009, 02:01 AM
We were there Jan 4-9 of this year and from talking to people we found out that the crowds had really dropped because all the New Year people had gone home.