PDA

View Full Version : AP holders and free dining....

Dsnygirl
07-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Other than getting a PIN code, which I have given up on any hope of ever receiving :sob:, is there any way for an AP holder who wants to use an AP room rate for their stay to get free dining?

I just want to be sure I'm not missing out on some plan that would allow both... I doubt it, but wanted to check, just to be sure.

(btw, I'm the only AP holder in the family, so I s'pose my DH and DD's could do a free dining plan... but I think we all have to be on the same plan, right??)

:thanks:

BMan62
07-13-2009, 07:03 PM
I believe the answer to that will be 'no - one discount per reservation.'

To part two of your question: 'Yes. Everyone on the reservation MUST be on the same package.'

Gusgus
07-13-2009, 07:51 PM
I **THINK** you can add the dining plan to your reservation but it ain't free. As the previous poster stated "one discount per reservation".

GusGus

PetefromRI
07-13-2009, 08:54 PM
It seems that with all the discounts,it's almost not worth getting the AP anymore unless of course your going more than 10 days and even then you end up paying for a one day pass to get the free meal plan.

faline
07-13-2009, 09:00 PM
From the very beginning, I've always advocated getting annual passes only if you at least break even on the number of days you go into the parks. If you get additional discounts beyond that, it's wonderful, but don't base your purchase on the expectation that additional discounts will come your way.

Dsnygirl
07-13-2009, 09:04 PM
From the very beginning, I've always advocated getting annual passes only if you at least break even on the number of days you go into the parks. If you get additional discounts beyond that, it's wonderful, but don't base your purchase on the expectation that additional discounts will come your way.
:thumbsup: That's pretty much what we're trying to stick to, as tempting as it is to jump the gun... until we make a firm decision on next August, it's just not worth it to upgrade them or renew my own. If we DO go next August, it'd put us at 19 days during one year, so it'd definitely save us money... esp. if we're going to upgrade my DH and the girls to park hoppers in October, anyway.

So -- we'll just have to see how we're thinking while we're there... and try not to keep telling myself that it'd then mean we could come down another time, as well!! :blush:

JPL
07-13-2009, 11:55 PM
Ok this is actually pretty simple to solve if you want free dining. Book everyone in the package with a 1 day base MYW ticket to qualify for Free dining and simply upgrade the tickets that need upgrading at guest relations at one of the parks. Of course before you go through the trouble I would advise you do the math and see if Free dining is a better deal than the AP discount. But it can be done this way I know a few people that did it. The MYW ticket for can be used at a later date or you can apply the value of it when you renew your AP.

Dsnygirl
07-14-2009, 05:47 AM
Ok this is actually pretty simple to solve if you want free dining. Book everyone in the package with a 1 day base MYW ticket to qualify for Free dining and simply upgrade the tickets that need upgrading at guest relations at one of the parks. Of course before you go through the trouble I would advise you do the math and see if Free dining is a better deal than the AP discount. But it can be done this way I know a few people that did it. The MYW ticket for can be used at a later date or you can apply the value of it when you renew your AP.
Another good idea... we'll just really have to see what comes out and do the math.

We're doing a split stay, CBR and AKL, 5 nights each. I'm thinking if we had all options open to us, I'd do free dining during the CBR stay and the AP rate during the AKL stay -- that way, I think we'd get the best of both deals.

Of course, neither option may happen -- we'll just have to wait it out!

megustamex
07-15-2009, 01:17 PM
It seems like the values offer the best rate for free dining vs. AP rates, because you have to pay rack rate. For instance, I checked Sept. 28-Oct 1 for comparison (3 weekdays).

AK AP rate - $139 a night
Daily rate for AK - $346 a night

That means that for for $207 more a night you are getting free dining for everyone in your room. All dependent on dates and availability of course. Do you spend $207 a day on food for your family? We don't - so that's not a deal. As for the tickets, it is correct that you can pay for a one night ticket for each person. You can then save that ticket indefinitely for the next time you buy season passes and upgrade, so I don't really count that cost.

On the other hand, we found that for the values it is costing an average of $20 more per day over AP rates for the food (it's averaging $90 per day for us to stay on the free dining plan for 10 nights vs. $70 per night on the AP rate). That is a deal.

megustamex
07-15-2009, 01:20 PM
Oops - that rate of $346 is with tickets included for 2 adults 2 kids. Actual cost per night with the ticket money pulled out should be $243 a night. Sorry for the confusion! So I guess you're only paying $103 a night for the food. Man, this math on the free dining plan is still driving me crazy!