PDA

View Full Version : A Suprise Trip... How did you do it?

daisyhead
07-13-2009, 12:17 PM
So, it's official...we're going for my DD's birthday. We'll be leaving afterschool on a Wed. I can imagine me packing the car up at Midnight so I can have the baggage safely tucked in the car while I drive her to school and head to work.

I *hope* I can keep this a secret for that long. I'm already thinking how do we tell her? It will be the day before her birthday when we leave. I've been thinking... a small wrapped package that is a t-shirt for her to wear.... maybe just an envelope with a mickey head inside that says "Let's go!"

The excitement is in the planning, huh? I knew someone here would have a really cool surprise idea! So how did you surprise someone with a Disney trip?:mickey:

EyeLuvDisney
07-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Congrats! We are also going in December for the first time. We are taking advantage of a Free Dining PIN.

Two years ago we totally surprised the kids with the trip. We picked them up from a friends house with the van packed. It was one of the most exciting and precious experiences.

Now, we are planning to surprise them with this trip as well. It has been a difficult year with losing some extra jobs that provided all of our play money. But, we are tightening the belt so that we can go.

Usually it is me that says "we have to go this year" but it has been my wife. She is so excited she can hardly stand it.

joonyer
07-13-2009, 04:27 PM
On our one and only "surprise" trip to WDW, we told our boys ahead of time that we were going camping for the weekend and would pick them up from school. We had tent camped a lot before that so the boys were not suspicious (they were 11 & 8 at the time). Although I didn't have as much gear as we usually took camping, I threw in our sleeping bags and tent on top of our luggage in the back on the minivan to keep up the illusion if they got to looking around. They are both fairly observant of road signs etc. so we told them we were going to Florida to camp, thus keeping any suspicion at bay as we headed south. As the evening wore on, it got dark as we approached Orlando, and our older son drifted off to sleep, but the younger one began to notice familiar landmarks and signs as we got close. He began to say "Hey dad, this is the way we came to Disney World last year", and how far is our campground from Disney?" I kept putting him off, but when we finally turned into Disney property, with the big arched signs, the ruse was up and he got so excited, waking his brother up and yelling "We're going to Disney World!, We're going to Disney World!". It was a great surprise and we had a great time "camping" at Wilderness Lodge.

PrettyMinnie
07-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Well, I don't have any suggestions seeing as the only surprise trip we have taken I was the on being surprised! However I will say how very special those trips are and suggest filming the moment you break the news to her. Good luck!

bringbackhorizons
07-14-2009, 05:45 AM
I have tears in my eyes reading these stories, I am 8 months pregnant though so it doesn't take much to get me crying these days :cry:!!

I like your idea of giving your DD a t shirt for her to wear on the trip, she's going to be so excited when she realises. I can't wait to do something similar for my kids when they're older. Have an excellent time!!

hardingella
07-14-2009, 06:18 AM
We are planning to surprise our DD11 & DS8 next May. When we booked our last trip last year the kids knew straight away, and the constant, "How many days, how many days"? was too much. So this time I am going to pack the bags while they are at school, keep them in the garage, wake them up in the morning and tell them we are going to London for a few days,then when we get them to the airport present them with their Disney hats from last holiday, and see how long it takes them to work it out.I just hope DH and I can hold out that long:secret:

georger
07-14-2009, 07:25 AM
We are surprising our boys this year with a Disney trip! We are planning to wrap a huge box with t-shirts (I love Mickey) and new Disney PJ's along with a couple of balloons attached to a sign saying Surprise...we're going to Disney. We are planning on doing this the day of our trip. So far we've kept the secret but it is getting harder!!!! We are so excited it's been hard not to talk about our plans in front of the boys! Packing we also be hard...I am planning on stashing away a few things each week as I do the laundry. Have fun planning....I would love to hear how others plan on surprising their kids as well!

nyobabe2
07-14-2009, 02:50 PM
We surprised our 2 girls a couple of years ago, it was our oldests 7th bday. I actually bought all of us disney shirts and had laid the kids out for them to get dressed that day, they had no clue why we were all in disney shirts, didn't even phase them. I had asked my daughter what she'd like to do for her bday that day and she said "go to the mall, the disney store" I told her we can do better than that, the little one finally yelled.."DISNEY WORLD??" and that was it...there was not a silent moment after that!
Thank goodness we didn't tell them before 'cause it was brutal hearing "how long till we get there?" that day!;)

pink
07-14-2009, 08:11 PM
My DM suprised my younger brother and I back when I was in middle school one morning she woke up and decided she wanted to take us to Disney World. That afternoon when she came home from school she was just asking how our day was and then asked so what do you want to do this weekend, does Disney World sound ok?

I'll never forget it. :mickey:

Cinderella's Lady in Waiting
07-16-2009, 09:25 PM
We woke our kids up in the middle of the night and asked if they wanted to go to Disney. Video taped the whole thing.....still brings tears to our eyes and we watch it often!

jonahbear2006
07-19-2009, 06:04 PM
we told our kids we were going to nashville. we did and we stayed the night and then packed them up the next evening and said, ok time to go home. they fell asleep and we woke them at 7am in FW parking lot and had to force their tired heads out of the car. One of them looked around and smiled, the other two had to be told where we were, when they realized where they wore they all looked up in the sky and thanked God for being in DIsney and just then a disney bus drove by and they said, "We really ARE in DISNEY!" It just seemed toooo good to be true to them! Needless to say it was really exciting and totally worth the wait to see their faces. I wish we had done that this time, as well. I forgot about it :-(

Erin C.
07-19-2009, 08:12 PM
We surprised DD for her 13th birthday in November of 1993. She got her braces off in the morning, went back to school and when she got off the bus and into the house I asked her if she wanted an early b-day present....and of course the answer was YES!!!! I had a box from one of the DVC mailings which had a indent that a book had been in. I put the three park hoppers and the tickets for MVMCP in there and on the inside cover with a note that we are going to Disney for her birthday.:cloud9: When she asked when....I turned around and wheeled out brand new purple luggage that was packed and told her WE LEAVE FOR THE AIRPORT IN ONE HOUR!!! She was in shock!! I still can't believe I didn't spill the beans!!! We went for four nites and had a great time. And now for her 16th birthday in November....BACK TO DISNEY FOR US..this time with a friend!!!!:party: