PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advice on non-character meals

wgbuck
07-13-2009, 08:45 AM
I'm one week away from making the ADRs, and am looking for some advice on non-character meals.

I've got two girls (2 & 3 years old), ... we've already got a couple of character meals planned, ... but was looking for one more meal that they would enjoy. The food doesn't have to be spectacular, but needs to be somewhere they would enjoy. Any thoughts?

forever a child
07-13-2009, 08:51 AM
What do you have already planned to book?

What kind of eater's are they? Picky or will they try anything or have any special preferences?

We have always liked the buffet's because it gives a variety. I have a hard time knowing what I will want to eat this afternoon not to mention 90 days in advance!:blush: Plus then no matter if they are picky or not they can usually find something.

sassy2000
07-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Ohana and Whispering Canyon Cafe both have good food and a fun atmosphere for the kids. Ohana has hula dancing. Whispering Canyon has "pony races". My DS4 and DD2 enjoyed these.

FriendsofMickey
07-13-2009, 09:42 AM
Whispering Canyon is a great place for kids without Characters.

KronkHere
07-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Whispering Canyon is AWESOME!!! They should have a great time there...

deedeebee
07-13-2009, 09:54 AM
My 3 kids have loved Coral Reef since they were small, the food is hit or miss. Every trip they ask if we are going, they are now 11, 12 and 13. We got back on Thursday and they were not happy that we did not have at least a lunch there! Next time we will! Whispering Canyon is good for the younger kids. Ohana is another good one. You are smart not to do too many character meals, even the kids need some "less exciting" meals. Have a great time.

chefmickey3
07-13-2009, 10:13 AM
Another vote for Whispering Canyon Cafe! My little ones (7,5,3) love this restaurant. It is also nice to tour the resort after dinner. The boat ride to MK is fun too! This will be our third year in a row with ADRs here!

O'Hanas is another favorite.

I know a lot of people don't care for Tony's, but it is one of our kids favorites. They love the Lady and the Tramp theming and really like the food. If you are in the MK, it is nice not to need to leave for dinner.

Rhetoric2000
07-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Great kid-friendly/oriented non-character eating in parks:

Tusker House lunch
Biergarten Lunch
Sci-FI Diner

Out of parks:

Trail's End, Fort Wilderness
Whispering Canyon, Wilderness Lodge
T-Rex, Downtown

Rhetoric2000
07-13-2009, 10:25 AM
O'Hanas is another favorite.

Is that the well-known Polynesian-Irish haunt??

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-13-2009, 11:12 AM
We have always enjoyed Whispering Canyon and Biergarten.

Wrigley
07-13-2009, 11:18 AM
We always enjoy Sci-Fi. It has a very fun atmosphere, and we've always had great food there. I know that some people aren't keen on the food, but we've never had a problem. We're looking forward to taking our DD2 to Sci-Fi in October!:mickey:

RBrooksC
07-13-2009, 11:34 AM
I love Whispering Canyon Cafe. And there are plenty of things for children to do there.

For breakfast I love Kona Cafe. Love the Tonga Toast and the tropical punch. It is also quiet (at least when we went) and an easy jaunt to the MK.

wgbuck
07-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Whispering Canyon seems to be the consensus, ... do I need a reservation?

Also, I'd love to hear more about these pony races.

Rhetoric2000
07-13-2009, 02:00 PM
WCC Details:

A reservation for WCC is recommended for lunch, essential for dinner.

Most people order the marvellous all-you-can-eat skillet of ribs, chicken, sausages, beans and mash however there is a full a la carte menu outside of this with country fare the order of the day.

There are many quirks to the atmosphere at WCC, most of the serving staff exhibit big/eccentric personalities, there are various buzz phrases that you can use to cause merriment/mockery/chaos (there are places to look them up and I won't list them here) and there are regular "pony races" (on sticks and not actual races - just runnign about) around the room for kids

PixieMagic
07-13-2009, 11:50 PM
Teppan Edo...basic/yummy food...but the chefs have away of attracting every childs attention....

OHana...they have great all you can eat type food and even have activities for kids such as hula hoop contests and coconut sweeping races...