PDA

View Full Version : What's scary about Stitch's ride?

Giselle
07-12-2009, 08:52 PM
My DD 5yo loves Lilo and Stitch, but I've heard the ride is scary. What is it like? Why would they turn a pre-schooler's movie into something scary anyway? Thanks!

betteratmk
07-12-2009, 09:34 PM
:confused: We don't think it's scary, in fact we thought it rather boring to tell the truth.

disneygeek84
07-12-2009, 10:22 PM
If she's bothered by dark places it might be a little scary, but other than that it's pretty tame. You can hear him "running" around when it's dark and you're strapped into your seat, so that may be why some people think it could be scary. But if she understands that it's just a show/ride and nothing is really going to happen to her, she should enjoy it. Especially if she's a Lilo and Stitch fan.

forever a child
07-12-2009, 10:35 PM
:confused: We don't think it's scary, in fact we thought it rather boring to tell the truth.

I think for a preschooler it could seem a bit scary. Its dark, Stitch is large are rather animated and the perceived movement that he is running around lose not to mention that water is sprayed into the audience.

chaodj9
07-12-2009, 10:40 PM
I think for a preschooler it could seem a bit scary. Its dark, Stitch is large are rather animated and the perceived movement that he is running around lose not to mention that water is sprayed into the audience.

:ditto:

Theres alot of special effects that may scare little childer like theres a tickle effect which uses strong air on the back of your neck to make it feel like his claws are tickeling you

GhostHost999
07-13-2009, 12:53 AM
I think it's scary that they took away a perfectly good show and put in something like Stitch.

d_m_n_n
07-13-2009, 05:13 AM
The only thing that scared DSs was when the shoulder harnesses came down on them. After the first time, I learned to put some resistance to it so it didn't squish them.

DeniseMB
07-13-2009, 06:07 AM
You may be thinking of Alien Encounter. That was the attraction before Stitch in that location. Now, that one was scary for the little ones. And me too. :mickey: I loved the old version.

Alien come back. :mickey:

DizneyRox
07-13-2009, 07:16 AM
What's scary? The fact that it's time you'll never get back and you wasted it on the show...

Most preschoolers though ould probably have a fit for other reasons. The harness that comes down and appears it will cruch you to death, the loud noises, the almost pitch black scenes, etc. All from the perspective of a youngster might be enough to scare you...

ryels
07-13-2009, 09:47 AM
I think it's scary that they took away a perfectly good show and put in something like Stitch.

Agreed. To think that Alien Encounter was replaced with Stitch is absolutely frightening. Makes you wonder who made that particular decision...:mad:

Imagineer1981
07-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Agreed. To think that Alien Encounter was replaced with Stitch is absolutely frightening. Makes you wonder who made that particular decision...:mad:

Ha I was thinking the same thing, however I do like the idea of Stitch being part of Tomorrowland, just need a better way of doing it.

Disney Doll
07-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Good descriptions of the effects. Also, it's the havoc wrecking destructive Stitch from the beginning of the movie not the sweet and lovable Stitch at the end. I could see how young kids might be scared.

StitchFan#1
07-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Im a Stitcha-holic myself lol. anyways
mabey if you want to preview the ride you can go on youtube and show it to her and if she or you thinks its too scary then thats ok But keepin mind that he likes to go hang out in Animal Kingdom by the DVC stand,the Poly him and Lilo love to eat at 'ohannas, In tomorowland next to CoP:stitch2:

Mousemates
07-13-2009, 12:17 PM
What's scary? The fact that it's time you'll never get back and you wasted it on the show...

Originally Posted by ryels
Agreed. To think that Alien Encounter was replaced with Stitch is absolutely frightening.

Goes4FastPass
07-13-2009, 12:22 PM
It's scary how when faced with complaints about Alien Encounter this is the best alternative a bus load of imagineers could come up with.

In all fairness, the Stich Enounter imgineers were probably tasked to "Using as much of the existing attraction as possible..."

Seriously, the Stitch Encounter is too scary for Stitch's fans - like my 3YO grandson and too silly for anyone taller than my 3YO grandson.

Giselle
07-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Great suggestions! I watched it on YouTube with my DD and she didn't think she'd want to ride it. It seemed to be a lot of people screaming and loud noises in the dark. I can't believe people clapped when it was over. Probably clapping because they were glad it was over. LOL.

bruin1344
07-13-2009, 01:06 PM
stitch is more tame than original alien encounter

jaredkari
07-13-2009, 01:26 PM
There are some pretty loud noises in there. I never really thought about it being scary until we went there with our 5 year old niece who was scared by every noise on every attraction (primarily because her parents got her worked up before each attraction, telling her how it will be dark and loud and everything!!!:mad:) Sorry to vent there a little. But yeah Stitch could be a little scary if your kids are sensitive to noises. :mickey:

Giggy
07-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Darkness and loud noises will scare some (but not all) young children. I think the reason this ride gets a reputation for being scary however is association with Alien Encounter, its predecessor. AE, when you're little can be pretty scary. Stitch is a similar ride, using a lot of the same technology as AE, however is a lot tamer.

DisneyFanaticDargon
07-15-2009, 07:13 AM
Alien Encounter had me in tears at 11 and I wasn't much better with it at 15. Looking back on it, I can understand their reasoning that it didn't fit with the "Disney Image" but it was also incredibly unique.

elmjimmlm
07-15-2009, 11:02 AM
My DD was scared of the dark and the noise the 1st time we went...She also didn't like the feeling of him jumping on her shoulders...

mouseneer
07-16-2009, 08:36 AM
Bring back Alien Encounter !!

dsnyfan001
07-16-2009, 08:45 AM
The only thing that makes this ride scary is sitting in the dark while stitch runs around burping in your face and laughing. It may be a little scary due to the fact that your in the dark throughout most of the duration of the ride, if your child dont like complete darkness it may scare them. Its a good chance to get out of the heat thats about the only good thing about it! I do agree that it is kind of a waste of time I would rather go across the way and check out the Laugh Floor with Mike Wasakowski from Monsters inc, thats so cute!!:thumbsup:

betteratmk
07-16-2009, 08:55 AM
Sorry, was only on this ride once, forgot about it being dark!! Ds thought it was not worth the long wait we had for this when it first opened! He really thought it lacked imagination!

ransam
07-16-2009, 09:27 AM
the only thing scarey about the stitch ride is that it's still there.

Madzac
07-17-2009, 02:25 PM
ITs very dark in parts and the harnesses come down over you which my kids found a bit scary. IT truly is a bit intense.

I plain out thought it was a waste of time though. Once on this ride was more than enough for me, for good. Yuck.

laughingplace<3
07-18-2009, 03:42 PM
I'm much older, and I love all Disney attractions and can handle all of them... EXCEPT for Stitch. Everything in it makes me feel very uncomfortable, and I would assume young children would agree with me.

SheLovesDisney
07-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Well this thread definitely made my mind up! I am NOT taking my kids to this attraction on our next trip. It is one of the very few things we have never done at Disney and it looks like it will stay that way!!

Sally_The_Ragdoll
07-19-2009, 05:37 PM
It really is a great ride, it's just a little scary for younger kids. When your DD gets older, she'll probably enjoy it, though. Even with the smelly cheese dog burp. :sick: At least it's not as scary as alien encounters. o.o That was just too frightening for the Happiest Place on Earth!

nicster
07-19-2009, 05:43 PM
Dark... bump in the night kinda thing...:scared:

DizneyRox
07-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Dark... bump in the night kinda thing...:scared:
You mean burp in the night...

nicster
07-19-2009, 07:23 PM
You mean burp in the night...
:nope: I'm a scaredy cat

TheVBs
07-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Our DD8 loved it, our DD4 would have been frightened. I haven't ridden it myself yet. I only got to do AE once - it was great! Scary, but great.

kbean
07-20-2009, 04:50 PM
That fact that you wasted your time seeing it can be scary.... I hold my breath and close my eyes everytime I walk by it.

edhunter28
07-20-2009, 07:52 PM
it is dark but that is it.It isnt scary

diz_girl
07-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Bring back Alien Encounter !!

Bring Back Mission to Mars!!

I know, Mission: SPACE basically supercedes anything Mission to Mars had done.

rachel_future_candy_maker
08-09-2009, 05:45 PM
well, there is a part of the ride where stitch is "let loose" and you can feel him moving around your seat- also it can get pretty dark at times :ccat:

Lakin
08-09-2009, 09:34 PM
I watched it on YouTube with my DD and she didn't think she'd want to ride it.

Your DD has good judgment. :thumbsup:

fupresti
08-09-2009, 11:53 PM
The scary thing is they wasted money on it.

candleshoe
08-09-2009, 11:57 PM
My 5 year old son cried and screamed so much when water was suddenly shot into his face while sitting in the dark that we had to take him off the ride early.
The uniqueness of the experience lent itself much better to the original Alien Encounter- trying to cute it down a little with Stitch made it good for noone: the thrill seekers are disappointed that AE is gone, and yet it's still too scary for little kids- who exactly IS the target audience? I don't get why they had to change it...there are plenty of thrill rides in Disney- does Tower of Terror "fit the Disney image"??

SurferStitch
08-10-2009, 09:00 AM
Since the original intent of the thread was about the scare factor of SGE, and not about how much people hate it, or want AE back, or whatever, I will answer the actual question asked.

We've been in SGE dozens of times. I'm a huge Stitch fan, and really like SGE.

In all of the times we've been there, I've heard 2 or 3 VERY young children cry. That's it. I'm not kidding....I'm yet to hear a sobbing child in that attraction. Sure, you hear little screams (both adults and children), but that's normal. There is also the canned baby cry in the soundtrack of the attraction, too. Stitch might spit water on you (not much at all), or there is a loud noise (not ear splitting), or what have you.

For the most part, Stitch is just running around in the dark being naughty. He never once lets on like he's going to hurt you. He tickles your hair, burps, and feels like he is jumping on your shoulders....all in fun.

Gooftroop5
08-13-2009, 01:08 PM
We just rode Stitch for the 1st time had a 4, 5 & 10 year old. They all loved it. Especially the 4 yo. He laughed thru it. Especially when Stitch tells him they can't catch him. They all wanted to go back on it. (time restraints we didn't get back to it). We had some teenagers & 20 yo ahead of us screaming when it went dark but they were just ridiculous anyways. Even my children thought so too.

All we did is remind them how much they like Stitch & that he would never hurt them. So even when it went dark they were prepared for Cute & fluffy not scary.

edhunter28
08-13-2009, 01:14 PM
nothing is

DigitalDaredevil
08-18-2009, 01:31 AM
The scary thing is that Disney thinks its a good replacement for Alien Encounter.