PDA

View Full Version : Need one more ADR...suggestions, please?

DisneyAggies
07-12-2009, 05:31 PM
T-Rex Cafe is not on DDP (we're still going there), but now I have on ADR left to make...I currently have one booked for Dinner at 1900 Park Fare, but I'm not too jazzed that it's a buffet...any other suggestions for a good dinner?? We're a family of 4, including a 4 year old and a 2 year old.

We've already booked:
Boma
Kona Cafe
Tusker house
Garden Grill
Crystal Palace
Le Celier
San Angel Inn

TIA!

KAT1811
07-12-2009, 06:09 PM
For starters I will say that we are a family of 6 with DD 12, DD 4 1/2, DD 2 1/2, and DS 4 months and we love 1900 Park Fare but are also not big fans of buffets. This buffet is very different and has a fabulous variety. The characters are great as is the resort.

If you are set on replacing it I would say:

'Ohana
Whispering Canyon
Yachtsman Steakhouse (Signature Dining on the DDP)
Tutto Italia

IloveDisney71
07-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Ohana is a great family restaurant. They have hula lessons(for the young and young at heart) and other fun activities for the kids.
My DH and I were having dinner there one night and the singer lead the kids around the restaurant in a "parade" singing songs. It was cute.

SBETigg
07-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Grand Floridian Cafe is a good, relaxed meal at the GF, not buffet, but no characters.

'Ohana is good family fun. Also good, Teppan Edo or Tokyo Dining.

aurora, ariel, and bell
07-12-2009, 07:12 PM
We did 1900 park fare last year for dinner, it was a GREAT buffet and we are doing it again this year. The character interaction is great. We also love Teppan Edo, but i think I would keep 1900 if it were me.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-12-2009, 08:10 PM
We're huge 1900 Park Fare Fans too! The buffet is much better than others, and the character interaction was amazing.

If you want to change it, we also like Garden Grill (character meal - Epcot), Whispering Canyon (lot of fun for the kids) or even Boma (neat to look around AKL).

lighteningqueen
07-12-2009, 08:44 PM
I see where you are from Austin Texas... You will NOT like San Angel Inn . It is horrible food... Nothing like what we have here or around Texas say Chuys yummy for example. I cannot even describe it but as horrid. We went 2 years ago in Dec and there were 5 of us. We all left our food. Then there was a table of 14 next to us and we saw them not eating their food as well. My son in law asked them where they were from and low and behold it was san Antonio. They too were over the top very disappointed and left their food. Only thing good is is the tostitos and the cheese soup. I strongly suggest you change that one and just walk in to see the restaurant. You can see it from the check in area. The fake volcano never went off while we were there either. You would probably like Whispering canyon, The kids will get into the act there and it is a big skillet of food they bring out if that is what you order. 4 meats corn on cob potatoes corn bread rolls etc. Then I or we think 50's Prime time is really good home cooked tasting food. Like TEXANS like.We are from near San Angelo. Excellant tender fat free Pt Roast, Fried Chicken, Meat loaf etc. This is our take on the choices. Not sure the kids belong in Le cellular. Kinda high priced and quiet in there as I have read and takes 2 meal TS if you are on the plan.T rex is really good food and atmoshpere. 1900 Park fair for Breakfast is the very best Breakfast TS for characters but we LOVED Tusker Breakfast as the best tasting food and great characters there as well Mickey is there. If you are on the plan then sub some of your night time TS meals for a couple of breakfast with characters. The kids will love them. Chef Mickeys is ok but our grandson of 4 loved the others above far better.

elmjimmlm
07-13-2009, 08:05 AM
Yak and Yeti is a new found favorite for us...We tried it back in Dec. and loved it...We are going again in Aug. and looking forward to that one the most...It is a craving that I have had since we left...:mickey:

kwhitt3202
07-13-2009, 09:45 AM
I see where you are from Austin Texas... You will NOT like San Angel Inn . It is horrible food... Nothing like what we have here or around Texas say Chuys yummy for example. I cannot even describe it but as horrid. We went 2 years ago in Dec and there were 5 of us. We all left our food. Then there was a table of 14 next to us and we saw them not eating their food as well. My son in law asked them where they were from and low and behold it was san Antonio. They too were over the top very disappointed and left their food. Only thing good is is the tostitos and the cheese soup. I strongly suggest you change that one and just walk in to see the restaurant. You can see it from the check in area. The fake volcano never went off while we were there either.

We are from Dallas and went to San Angel and I usually give places 3 tries before I will not go there again. We went there twice and had horrible service and food. We left our food. We are however going to try 1900 Parkfare this year. Our son(3) loved Wispering Canyon and Biergarten when we went in October 2008.

mickeys_princess_mom
07-13-2009, 09:53 AM
We did 1900 park fare last year for dinner, it was a GREAT buffet and we are doing it again this year. The character interaction is great. We also love Teppan Edo, but i think I would keep 1900 if it were me.

I second that emotion, except for the loving Teppan Edo part....
And actually we're not going to 1900 Park Fare this next trip, but it's a lot of fun!
Also recommend O'Hana's!!!:thumbsup:

Rhetoric2000
07-13-2009, 10:33 AM
I will agree with others on the thread - 1900 Park Fare is, along with Tusker and Boma, THE premier buffet on property. In combination with the atmosphere and characters it is a must-do if you have never been before.

I will also agree with others that your only suspect ADR is San Angel Inn. I would switch to Biergarten - better food, better atmosphere, better service and better value- in a heartbeat.

SBETigg
07-13-2009, 11:09 AM
I will also agree with others that your only suspect ADR is San Angel Inn. I would switch to Biergarten - better food, better atmosphere, better service and better value- in a heartbeat.

We love San Angel, not so fond of Biergarten. It could be that you won't like San Angel, but I always need to try for myself instead of putting faith in reviews.

San Angel Inn is not Tex-Mex. If you're looking for that, yes, maybe pass on it. San Angel and Biergarten both get mixed reviews on food, but big points for atmosphere and experience.

DisneyAggies
07-14-2009, 12:13 PM
I see where you are from Austin Texas... You will NOT like San Angel Inn . It is horrible food... Nothing like what we have here or around Texas say Chuys yummy for example. I cannot even describe it but as horrid. We went 2 years ago in Dec and there were 5 of us. We all left our food. Then there was a table of 14 next to us and we saw them not eating their food as well. My son in law asked them where they were from and low and behold it was san Antonio. They too were over the top very disappointed and left their food. Only thing good is is the tostitos and the cheese soup. I strongly suggest you change that one and just walk in to see the restaurant. You can see it from the check in area. The fake volcano never went off while we were there either. You would probably like Whispering canyon, The kids will get into the act there and it is a big skillet of food they bring out if that is what you order. 4 meats corn on cob potatoes corn bread rolls etc. Then I or we think 50's Prime time is really good home cooked tasting food. Like TEXANS like.We are from near San Angelo. Excellant tender fat free Pt Roast, Fried Chicken, Meat loaf etc. This is our take on the choices. Not sure the kids belong in Le cellular. Kinda high priced and quiet in there as I have read and takes 2 meal TS if you are on the plan.T rex is really good food and atmoshpere. 1900 Park fair for Breakfast is the very best Breakfast TS for characters but we LOVED Tusker Breakfast as the best tasting food and great characters there as well Mickey is there. If you are on the plan then sub some of your night time TS meals for a couple of breakfast with characters. The kids will love them. Chef Mickeys is ok but our grandson of 4 loved the others above far better.

Thanks for your suggestion to skip San Angel Inn, but we've been eating there for almost 10 years now and we LOVE it. And no, it's NOT Tex-Mex (like Chuys and some of the places around here), but we didn't go in expecting Tex-Mex, and were very pleased. We LOVE the Pollo a las Rajas (even make it at home...it's DH's favorite meal).

Last year we ate at Le Celier, and it was only 1 TS credit, has that changed since then?? We LOVED it there, and the boys loved the pretzel bread. We were sitting in an area with LOTS of kids, so I really didn't see it as an issue. I'm going to be looking into Whispering Canyon...sounds like fun!

DisneyAggies
07-14-2009, 12:20 PM
We love San Angel, not so fond of Biergarten. It could be that you won't like San Angel, but I always need to try for myself instead of putting faith in reviews.

San Angel Inn is not Tex-Mex. If you're looking for that, yes, maybe pass on it. San Angel and Biergarten both get mixed reviews on food, but big points for atmosphere and experience.

Sherri-
ITA...it's not Tex-Mex, and I think that's why so many people don't enjoy it...because they're used to Tex-Mex. We happen to enjoy both!

Interesting suggestion for Biergarten (and I'm German), but cannot stomach the smell of the sauerkraut that comes from that area :ack:...we spend very little time in Germany because of that. :( Sad, I know...

Thanks for the suggestions!!

LibertyTreeGal
07-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Whispering canyon, it is a hoot -- or 50's PTC at MGM

lighteningqueen
07-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks for your suggestion to skip San Angel Inn, but we've been eating there for almost 10 years now and we LOVE it. And no, it's NOT Tex-Mex (like Chuys and some of the places around here), but we didn't go in expecting Tex-Mex, and were very pleased. We LOVE the Pollo a las Rajas (even make it at home...it's DH's favorite meal).

Last year we ate at Le Celier, and it was only 1 TS credit, has that changed since then?? We LOVED it there, and the boys loved the pretzel bread. We were sitting in an area with LOTS of kids, so I really didn't see it as an issue. I'm going to be looking into Whispering Canyon...sounds like fun!

If you order the hatch green chili items they are NOT Tex Mex, do not like Tex Mex...i any form... We moved from Albuquerque 25 years ago and miss it dearly, but go back every August to buy bags of green chili to roast and put up for the year, but Chuys goes to New Mexico and gets their chili there so i am a big fan of theirs now that I know they have it. Con carne is Tex Mex and is just nasty. But San Angel is just horrible to us. I am glad that you enjoy it . We all left our food and went and ate somewhere else. Waste of money I know but if you cannot eat the stuff then why sit there. We like baby A's in Austin as well. I order things hot if I can get them and without con carne. Usually queso on top then add the hot sauce salsa they will bring me. Whispering is ok last time it was real fatty, but would go again since we have had better from there.

DisneyAggies
07-14-2009, 02:17 PM
If you order the hatch green chili items they are NOT Tex Mex, do not like Tex Mex...i any form... We moved from Albuquerque 25 years ago and miss it dearly, but go back every August to buy bags of green chili to roast and put up for the year, but Chuys goes to New Mexico and gets their chili there so i am a big fan of theirs now that I know they have it. Con carne is Tex Mex and is just nasty. But San Angel is just horrible to us. I am glad that you enjoy it . We all left our food and went and ate somewhere else. Waste of money I know but if you cannot eat the stuff then why sit there. We like baby A's in Austin as well. I order things hot if I can get them and without con carne. Usually queso on top then add the hot sauce salsa they will bring me. Whispering is ok last time it was real fatty, but would go again since we have had better from there.

Funnily enough, I have an Aunt that's a born native of New Mexico, and even there they have their own twist on Mexican food, as the hatch green chilies are native to New Mexico.

As strange as it sounds, I'd categorize them ALL separately--authentic Mexican (very hard to find), Tex-Mex, and New Mexican. There are differences to each, IMO.

LibertyTreeGal
07-14-2009, 02:44 PM
but Chuys goes to New Mexico and gets their chili there so i am a big fan of theirs now that I know they have it. Con carne is Tex Mex and is just nasty. But San Angel is just horrible to us. I am glad that you enjoy it . We all left our food and went and ate somewhere else. Waste of money I know but if you cannot eat the stuff then why sit there. We like baby A's in Austin as well.

Totally OT, we love Chuy's (their tortilla soup is da bomb), the south one is a few miles from our house, will have to try Baby A's

NJGIRL
07-15-2009, 11:22 AM
How about the Whispering Canyon Cafe? It's alot of fun and our food has always been good there.

Side Note.....We also enjoy the San Angels and have been going there for years.

mouseneer
07-15-2009, 12:02 PM
One place that seems overlooked always is Trail's End. That's my favorite. Or maybe Sci-Fi Drive -in. If you aren't too jazzed about buffets, why do already have 3 booked?

DisneyAggies
07-15-2009, 04:17 PM
One place that seems overlooked always is Trail's End. That's my favorite. Or maybe Sci-Fi Drive -in. If you aren't too jazzed about buffets, why do already have 3 booked?

Thanks for the suggestion...
2 reasons...characters, characters, characters and my children.

And then there's Boma. My kids LOVE the food there. I just wasn't jazzed about adding ANOTHER buffet to the mix, KWIM??

Mom2princesses
07-15-2009, 10:53 PM
I have to agree with several other previous posters. We were at 1900 Park fare and the buffet there was very good. The characters are awesome!

My favortie buffet is Boma! The food there was just a step above all the other buffets at WDW in our opinion. I would go back to Boma's in a heartbeat! Definitely one of our must do's from now on!