PDA

View Full Version : Norweigan Log Ride

ransam
07-11-2009, 11:54 PM
ok, got a question...what do you guys think of this ride? I like it, not in love w/it, but it's cool...my sister LOVES it....but my friend just hates it...it's his least favorite ride in the park.....we actually make jokes about it.
I just want to know what the majority think of it?

DizneyFreak2002
07-12-2009, 12:03 AM
You are talking about Maelstrom??? It's OK, nothing special... I enjoy it... I ride it every trip... But, IMHO, the rides needs a major refurbishment or replacement...

The real question should be, who actually stays and watches the movie after the boat ride???

dmosher
07-12-2009, 12:17 AM
I love this ride, nice and relaxing but fun. Always funny to see who has not been on it, when they start freaking out going backwards too.!

We usually do stay for the movie, since the update, its pretty good!
:pipes:
D

dtootsie42
07-12-2009, 12:32 AM
We ride it everytime we go, its fun...even though we have been on it several times I still cringe when we go backwards which makes my family laugh. We've only watch the movie twice....usually we head out afterwards.

biodtl
07-12-2009, 12:39 AM
We like it and ride it every time, but it;s not a "don't miss". We just happen to not miss it, but I think it is more appealing because it is in an are where there aren't many rides.

beksy
07-12-2009, 02:01 AM
We HAVE to ride this every trip, multiple times. It is just something about my family and boat rides:confused: but this was actually our favorite ride at Epcot (tied with SE) before Test Track and Soarin'

RobWreck
07-12-2009, 02:12 AM
Considering that World Showcase only has 2 rides, I think the Maelstrom is pretty decent... it's a boat dark-ride with anamtronics - isn't that what Disney does best? I just wish that there were more rides in the countries...
Rob

Kathy Jetson
07-12-2009, 02:14 AM
Ds5 loves this ride ( I like it too). He makes us go on it over and over and over... When we were there in nov. they were not showing the movie.

clou1028
07-12-2009, 06:32 AM
I think it's a nice break from the heat. I enjoy the boat rides.

TheVBs
07-12-2009, 07:34 AM
We like it. It's a fun, easy going ride with just a little bit of excitement. Definitely not a must do for us, but we like it. We've never stayed for the movie. :blush:

Stu29573
07-12-2009, 08:43 AM
We like it. I've always wished it were longer, but I guess the movie counts as part of it. We watched the movie last tile and it was actually pretty good...

Dickson Thunder
07-12-2009, 09:36 AM
My daughter loves this ride and I like it too. We have to ride it at least twice every trip to EPCOT. After Soarin and Test Track it's our third favorite ride there.

mainemajor
07-12-2009, 10:38 AM
"You are not the first to pass, nor will you be the last."
A word of caution that we must hear on every trip. Only if we need extra cool-off time do we stay for the movie.

HoosierDisneyFan
07-12-2009, 12:05 PM
This ride is good for first timers but loses something on repeated trips.

Generally not worth the wait but I have had been able to get a Fastpass and come back later. That is the way to go.

I do not mind the movie but hate waiting after the ride portion for the for the movie before our group to end. Should be able to by pass the movie at this point and exit.

DVC2004
07-12-2009, 01:35 PM
It's fun, but we skip the movie at the end. I love the trolls and the disproportionate polar bear. :thumbsup:

MickeysEars
07-12-2009, 01:36 PM
I ride it, a lot, and I watch the movie. Love this attraction

ransam
07-12-2009, 01:36 PM
I do not mind the movie but hate waiting after the ride portion for the for the movie before our group to end. Should be able to by pass the movie at this point and exit.

i think you can skip the movie, can't you?

kaerbear178
07-12-2009, 02:11 PM
We like it and it would be on our list to do each trip. I saw the movie the first time, but not sure that I would watch it again.

chaodj9
07-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Fun and relaxing but not crazy about it:thumbsup:

AmandaChan
07-12-2009, 06:58 PM
We always love it. It's so relaxing and cooling. I like the colors and I like the little hills here and there.

Altair
07-12-2009, 08:38 PM
I love the trolls and the disproportionate polar bear. :thumbsup:

That is the most pitiful Polar Bear I've ever seen.:D

doombuggygal
07-12-2009, 10:09 PM

i think you can skip the movie, can't you?

You can skip the movie but at the end of the ride but the doors that lead to the theater and exit remain closed until the previous showing of the movie ends. You are stuck there standing even if you do not want to stay for the movie.

Bellerella
07-12-2009, 11:29 PM
Well... we rode this ride on our most recent trip, and thought it was a tad lame. The fall wasn't anything special, and we thought the animatronics could have been better. It didn't help that there was a problem, and our boat got froze sitting in front of the fall going down to the landing area. So we probably won't ride it again...

Mickeydream
07-12-2009, 11:44 PM
The last time we were in Epcot, we rode Malestrom twice. We love it! The first time we saw the film, the second time we did not. I must say that I did feel a little guilty leaving w/o seeing it tho.

tjstrike
07-13-2009, 02:57 AM
We're fans !! I like the theme of the ride but it needs to be updated. We ride it every trip.

brownie
07-13-2009, 09:19 AM
You are talking about Maelstrom??? It's OK, nothing special... I enjoy it... I ride it every trip... But, IMHO, the rides needs a major refurbishment or replacement...

The real question should be, who actually stays and watches the movie after the boat ride???

We've skipped the movie every time after the first time we saw it.

Imagineer1981
07-13-2009, 11:40 AM
eh...its an every other trip ride. i think it needs to be expanded if possible. It just is too short for what it is.

Marceline
07-13-2009, 12:24 PM
I love this ride! It reminds of the old days of EPCOT past when there were more audio animatronic dark rides. *sigh* ala Horizons and World Of Motion *sigh* :cry:

#1donaldfan
07-13-2009, 12:31 PM
.....not a must do, but we tend to do it every year.....

...there's a movie ??

...just kidding....we always skip it ....:mickey:

lightyearfan
07-13-2009, 03:01 PM
mine and dw rule of thumb is while at WDW do everything that you can possibly can, no matter how many times that you've done it. as far as the ride it's nothing special, but it isn't bad either, we too stay for the movie, again do everything right. it's just like universe of energy, not a special ride but we feel that if your there do it.

Victor

BluewaterBrad
07-13-2009, 03:24 PM
I love it. Stay for the movie also! The female CMs are all beautiful also!!:D

Sneaky Pete
07-14-2009, 01:45 AM
I loathe getting stuck inside waiting for a film to finish that very few ever watch.

Tink<3Mickey<3Cinderella
07-14-2009, 10:07 AM
I think this is the worst ride at Disney and i'm VERY confused as to why people like it, i'm really not negative about rides but i just don't get the attraction here. I hated it the first time but read all the good things people say about it so i gave it another try on our last trip and still i think it's terrible.

I don't know i just don't get it. :confused:

KAJUNKING
07-14-2009, 10:37 AM
the ride is not great, but with the lack of rides in the world showcase its a decent ride and a chance to get out of the sun and the ride and movie are educational for the kids

Not2Loud
07-14-2009, 11:37 AM
Love that ride. Love the bakery as well.

Wells
07-14-2009, 12:17 PM
If I'm not mistaken (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) the maelstrom portion of this ride, after the reverse incline, used to be a lot more exciting with churning water, wind and lightning. Last time I went (2006) this area seemed a lot tamer than it used to be.......?

mom2morgan
07-14-2009, 12:23 PM
I like it okay, but no-one else in my family will ride it. But they are all "thrill" riders (they'd choose the big coasters at Universal, I guess) whereas I like the slower pace with more story and visuals that is classic "Disney" to me ;-)

bruin1344
07-14-2009, 12:53 PM
i enjoy the ride, i like most indoor rides. Its not a must see and can do without going on it if the wait is over 15 minutes. People in my party find the ride stupid and boring though.

the movie is boring at the end

HoosierDisneyFan
07-14-2009, 05:56 PM
BluewaterBrad I love it. Stay for the movie also! The female CMs are all beautiful also!!

How True BluewaterBrad!!!

disneyworld55925592
07-15-2009, 08:53 AM
We always ride it but its not amazing or anything. Its just a fun ride in the countries. The best time was when my mom and i decided to use our fastpasses for it like 4 minutes before illuminations. We walk through the fastpass line and hand them to her only to realize we were the only ones in the whole ride!(didnt need fast passes!) We were the only ones on the boat and we found it much scaryed at night alone!

Daisy'sMom
07-15-2009, 09:09 AM
I think some people miss alot when they skip a something at Disney because it is not "thrilling" enough.
I wish people would take their time and look at the things each attraction has that makes them special. Disney really puts alot into an attraction and it is lost on so many people.
:mickey:

DisneyFanaticDargon
07-15-2009, 10:18 AM
I remember when I was younger before the days of Test Track, Mission Space, Soarin' and other Future World E-tickets, this was about as close to 'real excitement' as you could get during a day at Epcot. Because of that the line was usually quite long. I can attest to having waited in that entire indoor queue in early October back when I was 11.

Diznee4Me
07-15-2009, 10:32 AM
We try and ride it if the line isn't too long - that in itself shows that the ride is still popular.

I love it. Stay for the movie also! The female CMs are all beautiful also!!:D

You have got that right. Several years ago I was looking for a shoulder bag - something to carry my camera. I was surrounded by four lovely young ladies who was going on about how great the bag looked, looked on me, was perfect for the camera, etc.....

Bottom line, I bought the bag just as the DW came in shaking her head and telling me that my normally reserved shopping skills had been turned by a pretty head - four of them....:blush:

darthmacho
07-15-2009, 11:23 AM
To me, riding Maelstrom is a nice, cool respite from walking around World Showcase on a crowded afternoon. I wish more of the pavilions had a nice dark ride to help thin out the line.

While it's not chock full of thrills, the animatronics are still cool, and I love the scene with the trolls. :thumbsup:

lightyearfan
07-17-2009, 01:03 PM
I think some people miss alot when they skip a something at Disney because it is not "thrilling" enough.
I wish people would take their time and look at the things each attraction has that makes them special. Disney really puts alot into an attraction and it is lost on so many people.
:mickey:

I couldn't agree more, me and dw feel the same way.

VIctor

coneygoil
07-29-2009, 02:47 PM
I really enjoy the Maelstrom! It's nostalgic for me, like an old cheesy friend you visit once a year. It wouldn't be Norway without it! My trip before last when my family rode the Maelstrom, there were these teenage boys in the boat with us. The kept saying things like "I didn't know Norway was a scary country." They made the ride more interesting with the commentary :P

coneygoil
07-29-2009, 02:52 PM
I remember when I was younger before the days of Test Track, Mission Space, Soarin' and other Future World E-tickets, this was about as close to 'real excitement' as you could get during a day at Epcot.

It's true. Maelstrom was one of the most exciting things at Epcot. As much as I enjoy Test Track, and the other e-ticket rides, I really miss the simple yet cool rides like World of Motion. It brings back my childhood, and Maelstrom is really the only original ride left from that time that hasn't been changed.

Jll3Sonex
07-29-2009, 03:51 PM
I love this ride... especially when you get dumped out in the North Sea - and catch sight of the drill rig the first time...

EJS-Houston
07-29-2009, 05:11 PM
I love Maelstrom (having Scandanavian heritage may play a part in that) and never miss it. I'll stay for the movie about every 2nd or 3rd time.

DigitalDaredevil
07-30-2009, 01:14 AM
I have a hard time not enjoying any water based attraction. The Maelstrom has some cool artwork, throwback animatronics, a fun theme, and a retro Epcot feel to it.

DisneyorBust
07-30-2009, 09:29 AM
I enjoy Maelstrom too. Granted it's not "thrilling" but I don't think it was intended to be. It is one attraction we always make time for. It's an enjoyable attraction and like others have mentioned, a great place to cool off. I also agree that it is a bit over due for a refurb.

SuzieN
07-30-2009, 12:29 PM
I really like it and the Scandinavian blood in me demands that I stay for the movie every time!!!!:thumbsup:

TennesseeTink
07-30-2009, 02:10 PM
My family LOVES Maelstrom! We ride it every trip and, if there's no line, we ride it over and over again. It's not thrilling but not everything you do at WDW has to be thrilling. I just like that it's a little taste of Norwegian culture, it's air-conditioned, it has atleast one good drop, and the trolls crack me up. Actually maybe we've ridden it a few too many times because every time we hear someone say "disappear" in unison we all say "Disappear, Disappear!":blush:

Gamblor33
07-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Does anyone remember when the ride first opened and they had Willard Scott ride it on TV? It must have been on the Today show or something. Anyway, he was wearing a poncho and they made it out to be that you would get soaked. I've been on the ride many times and it's ok. But I don't think I've ever had a splash of water on me.

CaptSmee
08-01-2009, 07:42 PM
I enjoy Maelstrom. It's a fun, albeit brief ride.

minicheese
08-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Maelstrom is a pretty good ride. I try to go on it everytime we go to WDW. The only thing that is bad about this ride is that it's way too short.

Diamondback'09
08-08-2009, 10:59 PM
I really like the boats that you ride in. They're alot different from other boat rides at disney

rachel_future_candy_maker
08-09-2009, 05:36 PM
the maelstrom isnt my favorite, but it's still a great ride...not worth it if the lines really long though!:mickey:

jenperich
08-09-2009, 08:32 PM
We just love this ride...especially on a blazing hot day. It's so nice and cool, and relaxing! It's a definite "do not miss" ride for us!