PDA

View Full Version : It's a Poly-Holiday!

mickeys_princess_mom
07-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Soo excited! Just moved our trip up to before Christmas, and booked the Poly! First time staying there for us, and I could tell DH kind of wanted to stay there when we were tossing ideas around. One of the originals we've heard about for years. Tell me what we're going to love about it!
:papple::stock::tikki:
(Thanks again, Terrisue!:wave:)

PetefromRI
07-11-2009, 10:56 AM
We've only stayed there twice but it's our favorite resort.At night when the sun goes down and the Tiki torches go on you really get the feel of this resort.They pipe in tropical music all around the resort including underwater in the pool.Sometimes I just sit in the big chairs in the lobby and take in all the sounds.Make sure to check out the art gallery/store downstairs in the lobby(Wylands?).I also love the sounds outside,like the ferryboat going to the MK.I remember early mornings hearing the dog howl at the Haunted Mansion.I also love the food options here.All the restaurants are good but obviously you'll need ADR's.You guys are gonna love it!

mickeys_princess_mom
07-11-2009, 11:14 AM
We've only stayed there twice but it's our favorite resort.At night when the sun goes down and the Tiki torches go on you really get the feel of this resort.They pipe in tropical music all around the resort including underwater in the pool.Sometimes I just sit in the big chairs in the lobby and take in all the sounds.Make sure to check out the art gallery/store downstairs in the lobby(Wylands?).I also love the sounds outside,like the ferryboat going to the MK.I remember early mornings hearing the dog howl at the Haunted Mansion.I also love the food options here.All the restaurants are good but obviously you'll need ADR's.You guys are gonna love it!

:hug:

Figment78
07-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Oh Polynesian.... how do I love thee? Let me count the ways.....

1. Kona Coffee (and Kona Cafe breakfasts)
2. walking to the TTC to take the monorail to epcot.
3. The electric water pagent
4. Poolside cocktails gazing across the beach upon the Magic Kingdom
5. The ferryboat horn
6. Stopping at the Grand Floridian on the monorail... (someday I'll stay there)
7. The tiki torches lighting my path
8. The backlit closet doors (I appreciate the small details in decor)
9. Hawaiian background music
10. The smell and sound of the lobby! (Home sweet home)

:D

PetefromRI
07-11-2009, 03:01 PM

5. The ferryboat horn

You absolutley nailed it Figment78!What is it about that ferry horn?

gueli
07-11-2009, 04:34 PM
The grounds are soo nice.
The pool's - I found the quiet pool to be quiet & the volcano pool to be a big hit with DD.
Standing on the beach (or sitting on a lounge chair) watching the electric water parade.
Seeing Wishes (although far away) from your resort.
The Lobby- although it can get quite congested, I like the feel of the lobby.
Oh, I forget her name- but the nice Lady who does crafts in the lobby.
Getting "Leied"

Huge rooms (for disney)

The ability to walk to TTC for bus service or monorail to epcot.

The bus service - combined with GF & Contemp but... less crowded.

Ability to take boat service to MK

Sea Racers

The on site child care- for the adults night out

Also don't forget to try to get into a building with real balconies...
Even the Garden view rooms have nice landscaping

ahh soo much to like.
If only we could afford it every trip...
:thumbsup:

Have Fun !!!

DisneyorBust
07-11-2009, 10:05 PM
I have to agree with the posts presented by Figment78 and gueli!
They know their POLY! Can't wait till we return.
Have a fantastic time!

Polynesian Dweller
07-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Most of the highlights have been mentioned earlier. I'll add the walkway to the Grand Floridian. You can walk over their in just a few minutes (around 10 or so) from the west end in front of Luau Cove past the wedding chapel and to GF. Its a nice calm walk and a nice way to visit there and have a meal in the restaurants as well.

Don't forget to have a Dole Whip at Captain Cooks. At night, watch the Electric Water Pageant from the beach and then stay for Wishes (some nights it might be reversed). They pipe in the music and the view is terrific.

You'll find that transportation is the best on the Disney property. There are more choices than anywhere else and all within 7 min walk (including the TTC, and I have measured those times). Our favorite is the resort launch to MK. It can be the best way to return to the Poly at night when the crowds are leaving.

Most of all, take time to enjoy the grounds. They are so calm and relaxing even though they are actually smaller than they seem. A great place to relax and enjoy the place. Have a great trip.:mickey:

ransam
07-12-2009, 02:21 PM
i'd love to stay there..and the Cont...someday.
just so expensive for me....
maybe someday...

mickeefan
07-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Everything everybody has said and then more.

IloveDisney71
07-12-2009, 06:37 PM
We did this 2 Christmas's ago and LOVED every minute of our stay. We loved being able to catch the monorail to the MK and being able to take a short walk to the TTC to catch the monorail to Epcot (we got to ride in the front with the pilot and he was very interesting to talk to). We also made stops at all of the monorail resorts just to check out the Christmas deocorations (We saw Geppettos's workshop made out of gingerbread at the Contempory and the life-size gingerbread house at the GF).
Make sure you also:

watch WIshes from the beach at least one night
try to watch the water pageant parade
enjoy a Dole Whip from the counter service rest. (I don't remember the name) and the Tonga Toast! YUMMMMMMMMMY!
The Lapu-Lapu is a yummy adult beverage!:papple:
Take a stroll around the Poly and enjoy the landscaping and beautiful flowers
have dinner at Ohana
You'll LOVE it!
:lei::lei:

gueli
07-12-2009, 10:40 PM
i'd love to stay there..and the Cont...someday.
just so expensive for me....
maybe someday...

Remember life is short. Sometimes you have to sacrifice to do it. I know that was the case for our stay- but for our DD at age 5, I was willing to spend the money - for her,me & the family. I do not know if I can ever do it again, but I will not have regrets about never doing it...we were ther, it was wonderful and for over 15 years I put it off.
:thumbsup:

mickeys_princess_mom
07-13-2009, 06:19 AM

5. The ferryboat horn

I notice and appreciate the small details, too! Thanks so much for sharing these with me--can't wait!:cloud9:

mickeys_princess_mom
07-13-2009, 06:24 AM
Don't forget to have a Dole Whip at Captain Cooks. At night, watch the Electric Water Pageant from the beach and then stay for Wishes (some nights it might be reversed). They pipe in the music and the view is terrific.

I did not know you could get the Dole Whips here! I may not be able to handle this! I'm probably the biggest fan :cheer: of these---can you get the Dole Whip Floats?....:papple:

tikiman
07-13-2009, 11:57 AM
I love the Polynesian for so many reasons but I like being honest when I post something and I have to say I was not a fan of the Polynesian in the colder months. It really took away from the experience for me when it was too cold to swim and enjoy the beach. My favorite part of the Polynesian resort is the resort at night but the warmer summer nights go with the theme much better for me. When we were there in early December it was too cold to be outside and enjoy the tropical surroundings. Also it was just strange for me to be walking around in pants and a sweatshirt during the day. If we ever go back in December I think I will look at a different resort.

tikiman
07-13-2009, 12:04 PM
I did not know you could get the Dole Whips here! I may not be able to handle this! I'm probably the biggest fan :cheer: of these---can you get the Dole Whip Floats?....:papple:

No Dole Whip floats but if you bring juice you can make your own. We just grab the P.O.G. from the concierge lounge and make floats.

BluewaterBrad
07-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Great!! Have fun!!:mickey: