PDA

View Full Version : What would you advise?

GoldenDreams
07-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Hi Everyone,

I know you all can help me with this. My family tends to visit Disney during the off season, stay at a moderate resort and rent a car. We have very good friends who are going for the first time with 2 kids over Thanksgiving. They are planning to use the bus transportation and stay at a value resort. During the afternoon, they are planning to return to their hotel to swim. I am concerned that they are going to spend all of their time on transportation. I'm not sure they realize how big the parks are. I know it can sometimes be a pain waiting for the tram to and from the parking lot, but would that be better than the bus service during Thanksgiving week?

They are looking to us as experts, but they are doing so many things differently than we do. I don't want to give them bad advice,so.... would you recommend that they get a car or change their plans so that they stay in the park all day?

Changing the trip dates is not an option.

Thanks for your help!

Seasonscraps
07-11-2009, 01:04 AM
Thousands of people do the very same thing (buses with afternoon breaks) every day at Disney - I think they will be fine. If they are going to or leaving the parks at closing time, there may be a wait for the bus but the afternoon trip back to the resort shouldn't be too bad.

If it's in their budget rent the car, it's handy but it's not necessary.

PixieMagic
07-11-2009, 01:31 AM
I agree - mid afternoon buses back and forth don't seem to be a problem...it's just that horrid wait for a bus home at park close! Ha ha! :thumbsup:

BPATSMouse
07-11-2009, 01:36 AM
We have gone in the off season the past 4 years and as stated in the previous post. The buses are usually not crowded during the day and run a fairly regular schedule, advise them that the buses are not always running exactly the same time apart (could expect to see buses every 15-25 minutes for any given resort). A car is nice to have but not needed the parking cost the last I heard is $11.00 or $12.00? per day can add up.:mickey:

dizneefan67
07-11-2009, 01:41 AM
My suggestion, although not completely necessary, would be to rent a car. I know they may not need it other than property adventures, BUT it gives them the freedom to go and explore Lake Eola in downtown Orlando, or take a break shipping on Intertnational Drive with great deals on souvenirs and there are other attractions on I-Drive too that they can do as a family. I-Drive would also give the adults a chance to get away from Disney and see what Orlando has to offer. Lake Eola used to have swan boats, I know they are going for the kids, but they deserve some time too! FAO Schwartz Toy store, Wonder Works, Titanic, Wet 'N Wild, and for kids, there is a UNIQUE McDonald's on Sand lake Road near I drive as well!
Ther is also Gatorland on Orange Blossom Trail South that could be a must see since they will be in aliigator alley!
Just some ideas that you could present to them and let them decide on their own whether to rent a car or not! This way it kind of lets you off the hook if they choose t do somethig that they really didn't like!

Will:mickey:

Lacy
07-11-2009, 10:41 AM
My advice would be to ask them if they know they can park for free at the parks since they are staying at a Disney resort and tell them that you have found it to be convenient to have a car.

That being said, I actually find it more convenient to take the bus than the car for mid-day breaks.....the trams don't run as often and if the kids are little getting in and out of car seats can take time. And it is far more convenient at the Magic Kingdom since you don't have to mess with the TTC. I never drive to the MK.

Plus, using Disney transportation relieves the stress of having to navigate.....it can be a little difficult for first timers to find there way on the roads.

PetefromRI
07-11-2009, 11:35 AM
I agree - mid afternoon buses back and forth don't seem to be a problem...it's just that horrid wait for a bus home at park close! Ha ha! :thumbsup:
Ditto!!!

Figment78
07-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Ditto about the mid-day buses not really being that bad!

DeniseMB
07-11-2009, 12:33 PM
The only downside I see is the long wait for a bus at park closings. Advise them to relax, grab an ice cream, people watch & be the last ones to leave the park. :mickey:

Sneaky Pete
07-11-2009, 05:13 PM
and haven't had a problem.

However, when staying at WC, I thought the boat to WC from MK and then the bus to near our cabin was a bit tiresome though.

fatboy
07-11-2009, 07:29 PM
I would never rent a car a Disney. A complete waste of money imho. The time you wait for a bus is equal to the time you wait for a tram, walk further, deal with the ttc. Get dropped off and picked up at the front door to all parks. Could not ask for more.

LibertyTreeGal
07-11-2009, 08:05 PM
If there is a problem it should take care of itself. If the bus situation is a monster, they won't do it more than once lol :mickey:

mainemajor
07-11-2009, 09:20 PM

the busses during the mid-day are rarely busy and are relaxing for the driver in the family who needs a break on vacation, too

Darbylew
07-11-2009, 09:41 PM
We never go back to the room in the middle of
the day. We always just let the little ones sleep
in their stroller. I would not think the buses
would be crowded in the middle of the day but
they get crowded at the end of the day when
the park is closing. We always linger for a little
while in the shops and let the crowd get a little
ahead of us. :mickey: