PDA

View Full Version : Laid Off

divinedi
07-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Well, like what has happened to a lot of people, I got laid off today:(. No warning, no notice, just brought into the office at 2 pm and given my walking papers, he'd pay me for the rest of the day but I could go home. I knew things were slow, but it was still a shock! I've been there for 3.5 years, it's a small furniture store, he has two stores, and I worked in the office. The other lady that works here has been off on maternity leave twice, a year each time, since I've worked there, now she's back and I'm out. I worked my butt off there the past year, he didn't hire a temp or anything to help out, so I worked normally 48-50 hour weeks, kept the place running, and now this. I understand the economy, and I understand that women are entitled to maternity leave, it just makes me angry. And no thanks for all you've done and the extra hours etc. etc.

I'm trying to look on this as an opportunity to do and be something better than I was, but I look at my finances and worry terribly that I'll lose my house etc., very scary feeling.

I know a lot of people have been through this, and are in worse shape than I am, just hurts right now! Do they take 52 years olds in the International Program at Disney? (I'm Canadian).

Thanks for listening!:number1:

LibertyTreeGal
07-10-2009, 08:09 PM
I know it is hard, hang in there! DH has been out of work for 6 months now, and as an Engineer with 20+ years of experience he is overqualified for just about everything.

Praying for you! :mickey:

Jeff
07-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Rough news indeed!
I hope it leads you to something you enjoy doing more. Good luck.:thumbsup:

Mickey'sGirl
07-10-2009, 08:58 PM
It happened to my DH too...after 18 years as a Mechanical Engineer at the same company. No notice, no nothing. It sure makes budgeting an adventure! I hope that you come out of this further ahead, and find something somewhere you are more appreciated. DH is approaching it as the opportunity to spend the summer with his children. Try to find a positive. :hug: to get you through.

Dulcee
07-10-2009, 09:10 PM
My Father has been out of a full time job since november and my Mom is off for the summer. I know how scary it is too look at those finances and wonder what happens next.

It'll be ok. Take a deep breath and remember you're not alone, one door closes and another opens somewhere.

conorsmom2000
07-10-2009, 09:20 PM
I'm truly sorry to hear this news!! :( But, know that you are not alone. My husband is a Union electrician and was laid off yesterday, though we thought this job was going to go until the winter. It's especially scary as I work as an aide in our school district, so I don't work (Or get paid) in the summer. For us, it's a repeat of last summer (I had been laid off in May, he got laid off in July) and it's very stressful. For me, it's hard to believe that we are in this situation again, and I truly understand the scary feelings, especially about the house. But, try and stay positive and hopefully things will look brighter soon!!

Emme&TeddysMommy
07-10-2009, 10:15 PM
My father was laid off in feb from a job he was working at for 33 years. Now my mom is working every other week. She works a week and is laid off the next. So tell me when are thing going to start looking up? I feel for everyone during these trying times.

2Epcot
07-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Sorry to hear that. In the last couple of weeks I had about 40 collegues of mine laid off at two different companies. Many people had worked there anywhere from 10 to 30 years. At one company, both the husband and wife who worked together were laid off. Hopefully the change leads to something better for you.

Darbylew
07-10-2009, 11:03 PM
So sorry that you were laid off. It is happening
to so many people. My husband is retired but
I feel for the all the young people that have
their life ahead of them. Times are tough but it
has got to get better. I do worry about my kids.
:(

BigRedDad
07-11-2009, 01:24 AM
Keep your chin up. It is difficult. I do not know what I would do if laid off with the current economy. My company is laying people off left and right with no rhyme or reason. They are looking at it from a $ perspective. If they can get someone to do it for half of your pay, you are gone. They are paying for my MBA. I will pay for the concentration in healthcare after I get it. Once done, I will probably quickly look for a job in another industry.

vizsla
07-11-2009, 06:52 AM
So Sorry to hear about you being laid off. Things are tough right now in the job market but hopefully things will turn around soon.

DVC2004
07-11-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm sorry to hear that! Just stay positive and focused and apply to many places. Good luck. You are not alone right now.

divinedi
07-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Wow! Thanks everyone, I knew this place was terrific and all of you have proven it by being so nice and with all the words of encouragement! I'll certainly work on staying positive and try to see this an opportunity to improve my lot in life and find something better for me.

For all of you in the same position as I am, I fully sympathize and wish bigger and better things for all of you!

Thank you!!!:)

Mousefever
07-11-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm so sorry you're going through this, Dianne. I'm very thankful that my husband still has a job (keep drinking Coors in cans, people), but I've had several relatives who've been laid off. It stinks all around. I hope you find something soon!!!

gueli
07-12-2009, 12:29 AM
Wow! Thanks everyone, I knew this place was terrific and all of you have proven it by being so nice and with all the words of encouragement! I'll certainly work on staying positive and try to see this an opportunity to improve my lot in life and find something better for me.

For all of you in the same position as I am, I fully sympathize and wish bigger and better things for all of you!

Thank you!!!:)

Again Keep positive.
If your government has helpful programs use them! Find out what youre entitled to, where you can turn for assistance and keep looking to make this expierence as good as it can be.

Be thankful when you wake up in the morning- share your love with your family. Keep it as simple as possible. Remember to smile. There are always dark times, but after that we appreciate all we have even more.
Live life to the fullest, look foward to tommorow and don't let any setbacks get you down !

Good Luck.
:mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-12-2009, 12:35 AM
I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you. I don't know if this website works for your area but it's a great one to try: indeed.com. You can put in what you are looking for & the area you are in and you'll get leads emailed to you. It pulls from a lot of different websites.

TheVBs
07-12-2009, 05:29 PM
I'm so sorry you're going through this. How awful. Can't add any better advice than others already have.

faline
07-12-2009, 06:41 PM
I've been through this more than once. It's pretty scary especially when the economy is slow. On both occasions, I was able to find better opportunities than the one I left behind even though it took some time to do so.

I wish you the best of luck in your job search! I'm sure there is something wonderful out there for you!

hubbyofadisneyholic
07-12-2009, 08:37 PM
These are scary times indeed.
We have had a number of friends and relatives laid off or having their hours seriously reduced.

Back in 1991 the company I worked for decided our facility wasn't profitable enough so they phased it out and over 700 of us lost our jobs in early 1992.
At that time my daughter was only 2 yrs old and I spent many nights wondering what was going to happen.
But things did work out. In late '92 I took what was supposed to be a temporary position. And I had to work as a temp for a long time, but eventually did get hired. And I've been there ever since. At least now if things get really bad I can take an early retirement. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

So...keep your head and your spirits up. Things will get better. :thumbsup:

Melanie
07-12-2009, 08:57 PM
I'm very sorry to hear this. I hope you can find something soon!!!!

DizneyFreak2002
07-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Hey div... Hang in there... I was laid off last year, and I was out of work for the entire summer.... And honestly, it was the best thing to happen to me... I really hated my job with a passion.... Fortunately I found a job and started at the end of October... 5 months I was out of work... I consider myself one of the lucky ones...There are lots of people out there out of work for 1 year or more, no prospects in sight... I hope for the best for you... You will bounce back on your feet... Just stay positive and keep yourself sane... Don't start feeling down or depressed and don't blame yourself... Stay positive... Stay upbeat... Easier said than done, I know... But trust me... I refused to let my failures of landing a job bother me... it is still a tough economy out there.. Don't let losing your job, or not securing one quickly, get to your mind.. And don't start blaming youself... Something will turn up... :thumbsup:

LauraF
07-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Indeed. Hang in there.

I was laid off last fall and it was a wonderful thing in retrospect. I was underemployed in my previous job and had a miserable boss. I got laid off and all that stress went away, and instead I could focus full-time on finding a great job and taking care of my new house. (Being cooped up all winter did wonders for organizing, decorating and everything goes with moving into a new place.) Now that I'm employed again (if only as a contracter) I miss that time off.

That said, it's very scary to wonder about taking care of your basic needs. It's hard to figure it all now, but things will work out for you. It's not going to be easy, but you'd be surprised how creative you can be in such situations!

Best wishes!

divinedi
07-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks everyone! It's my first official day home, I didn't count the weekend, I'm home then anyway. It feels really strange to be home, but I'm doing pretty good keeping a positive spin on this, just the odd moment of misery and self-doubt. I hope to be like LauraF and get some work done around the house, things that I keep putting off because of working full time!

Thanks for all the very positive comments, it really does help a lot!!! :)

It'sWDW4me
07-13-2009, 12:53 PM
The company I work for had a pretty massive layoff in January and then a smaller one in April. I ran into someone at the end of May who had been let go in the January cut. She's made yard-sales her new "job" and is actually doing quite well with it, she says. There's a farmer's market with a rent-by-the-day ($10/table) flea market area. At first she just sold some of the extra stuff from around her house but, when that was done, she started going to auctions and buying a lot or two of boxes of brick-a-brack. She's selling that stuff now and she says she can clear $200 a weekend.

Yes, as a pp had mentioned - it's amazing how creative we can get. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Best of luck to you in finding your new job, whatever that may end up to be, very very soon! :pixie:

MNNHFLTX
07-13-2009, 01:35 PM
So sorry to hear about your being laid off! I can imagine how odd it must feel to be home today when you're used to being busy at work. Good luck in the job hunt and here's some :pixie: to lift your spirits.

Mousemates
07-13-2009, 01:46 PM
:sorry: about things not working out at your job...especially after going the extra mile and putting in the long hours. Its a tough job market to be sure right now, but there are positions out there. Think outside of the box and be open to trying something new vocationally. persistance will pay off and hopefully you will find something better than what you left behind.

Disney Doll
07-13-2009, 02:32 PM
Hang in there! I know how you feel. DH is in retail and sales are down for the first time in a long time in his industry. I'm always mindful of the possibility of layoff because we've been there twice before with DH's job. Ultimately it gave him an opportunity to find something better and he found a job he liked much more than the one that let him go. We did have severance to get us through and he was luck y to find something fairly quickly, but I know that may not be the case if it happened in today's economy.

I think the most important thing is not to let it get you down. It's not a reflection of your work, but a reflection of the economy. Good luck!!