PDA

View Full Version : Groceries

jaynefuller
07-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Staying at all star music without a car and was wondering if there is a reasonably priced supermarket in disney to stock up on crisp's, snacks and chocolate etc or would we have to travel outside of disney and if so how would we get there without a car?

DeniseMB
07-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Garden Grocer will deliver your order to your resort. You can place an order online. :mickey:

TammiMcMan
07-09-2009, 08:58 PM
You can find some stores that are fairly well stocked for snacks and what not. I know that in Fort Wilderness and the Boardwalk, there are two good places to stop by if you need just a couple of things.

If you are considering a delivery, Goodings is also very near. It's actually right across the street from the downtown Disney hotels. A taxi would probably not be very much from DTD. Definitely a lot less expensive than the service or delivery charge you may incur for having them delivered.

faline
07-09-2009, 09:04 PM
There are several delivery services in the area that will deliver to your room. If you're using a care service such as Quicksilver (http://www.quicksilver-tours.com/) you can also arrange a grocery stop (free) on your way to the resort.

steamboat willy
07-09-2009, 09:34 PM
I've read of guest mailing a box of such items to their selves in care of the Resort 10 days before they arrive, but I take it by your location this is not a practical choice.
We are also going to be at ASMusic beginning September 9 and with a vehicle. If it worked out with your dates, we would have no problem in getting you or your items to and from the store.
You can PM me if your dates are inside ours.

Kindly, Steve a.k.a Steamboat Willy

CleveRocks
07-09-2009, 09:50 PM
If you are considering a delivery, Goodings is also very near. It's actually right across the street from the downtown Disney hotels. A taxi would probably not be very much from DTD. Definitely a lot less expensive than the service or delivery charge you may incur for having them delivered.
Garden Grocer charges a $12 delivery fee. How could round trip cab fare (including tip) be "a lot less expensive" than $12 ??? :oops:

There is also a time factor that can't be ignored. Think of how long it would take from an All Star resort to walk to the bus stop, wait for the bus, drive to DTD, catch a cab, ride to the store, shop, and then reverse the process. Conservatively and realistically, that would take a MINIMUM of 90 minutes.

I don't agree that the taxi fare would be less than the cost of the grocery delivery fee of $12, but even if taxis were free, would you willingly pay $12 to avoid interrupting your vacation for 90 minutes out of your vacation?

Pirate Granny
07-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Steamboat Willie...what a nice offer...especially to someone out of the country...
:pirate:

TammiMcMan
07-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Garden Grocer charges a $12 delivery fee. How could round trip cab fare (including tip) be "a lot less expensive" than $12 ??? :oops:Thanks CleveRocks, but I don't think I mis-spoke at all. I was talking grocery deliveries in general and I know that some do require a minimum order and charge upwards of $25 for delivery. If a poster only needed a few things then having a minimum required, plus the delivery charge would be costly. And yes, adding up the costs, it could end up being more than a round trip taxi ride from DTD to the Crossroads Shopping Plaza at the end of the street. It all depends on whether or not the OP is looking for cost savings or convenience, but it is really okay to give all options. That's why we're here ;).

Nice offer Steamboat Willy :thumbsup:. We have some of the nicest people here on INTERCOT.

jaynefuller
07-10-2009, 06:04 AM
Thank you for your replies everyone (especially to steam boat willy). I will be staying there for christmas and new year so not the same time as you but thank's for offering!:thumbsup:

Patricia
07-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Depending on what kinds of snacks you want, the All Star Music gift shop sells a limited amount of grocery items and the food court has quite a few snacks as well.

We walked a couple of times to Gooding's from DTD, it is about a mile away and took us 15 minutes. Not the cheapest grocery store, but has everything and is cheaper than Disney. I wouldn't suggest walking if you need several heavier items, but we did haul a six pack of beer, a bottle of wine, fruit and cheese back. :blush: If you need specific directions message me.. or if you use Google Earth or maps, you can see how close it is to the DTD Marketplace bus stop.

steamboat willy
07-10-2009, 01:27 PM
If we decide on a Christmas return, I'll let you know.
I really wanted to see what Crisp's where?
Enjoy your New Years!

jaynefuller
07-10-2009, 01:55 PM
CRISPS are what i think you call potato chips:laughing::laughing:

We dont use the word's Fries (chips) or
Jelly (jam) it sounds really weird!

I suppose ive got to get used to some new word's before i go :blush:

steamboat willy
07-12-2009, 08:03 AM
I found this today. Maybe it will help!

http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/grocery/grocery.asp

Steve a.k.a. Steamboat Willy

steamboat willy
07-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Found you another:

http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/international/uk.asp

chaodj9
07-12-2009, 11:50 AM
garden grocer is great with there delivery except for the 12$ fee

steamboat willy
07-12-2009, 12:00 PM
DW just told me she likes crisp after eating chocalate ice cream. :tasty:

CleveRocks
07-12-2009, 08:29 PM
garden grocer is great with there delivery except for the 12$ feeTrue, a $12 can be annoying, but is much less expensive than round-trip taxi fare + tips, and much less expensive than a rental car (if the car would be rented for no other purpose except for the grocery run).

Plus, a grocery delivery takes ZERO time away from your vacation.

When I've vacationed other places, it's always been a real drag to stop (in my rental car) between the airport and my hotel so we can get groceries for the week. We're rarin' to go and just wanna get to the start of our vacation already, and nothing has made me more frustrated during vacations-past than waiting in line at a supermarket at the start of what should be my vacation.

I live in a beach resort area, and we have a small privately-owned supermarket in my area much like Goodings. And also just like Goodings, this market in my area also offers a delivery service for vacationers so they can avoid wasting valuable vacation time walking around a strange supermarket trying to find where they keep the whatevers, and then waiting in line, and so on.

Lizzie
07-13-2009, 12:41 PM
We loved Garden Grocer. It came while we were out and the staff even put the milk in the fridge for us.