PDA

View Full Version : Resort pools...are they safe?

buzz2001
07-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Just what you wanted to read before your vacation.

P'ing in The Public Pool: One In Five People Do It A new survey reveals that pool-p'ing is uncomfortably common, but you can take steps to protect yourself.

Click here for the full article.
http://health.msn.com/health-topics/digestive-health/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100241009&GT1=31034

marylynne95
07-09-2009, 12:42 PM
It won't stop me from enjoying myself. People fret to much over everything. It seems anymore that EVERYTHING is "dangerous" for you. I gave up worrying a long time ago. Life is too short! I am going to have fun!!

Daddy Mouse
07-09-2009, 01:21 PM
If I let that stop me from swimming in a pool I'd never go swimming in a lake or the ocean! That won't happen.

Am I the 20% or the 80%? You decide!

Disney Doll
07-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Yeah, not deterred. There are a lot of things that are pretty gross if you really started considering all the possibilities. Best just to not let your mind wander down that path and have fun!

diz_girl
07-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Firstly, Ewwwww.

Secondly, it's sterile, so it's not the end of the world. The pools are constantly monitored for pH levels, etc.

Finally, I'm not surprised that one in five people do it. I am surprised that one in five people admitted to it in a survey.

JPL
07-09-2009, 01:53 PM
You know this is one of those things while yeah it's a concern but when you think about all the germs and gross things you encounter even in your own home, it's not a big concern at all.

This is simply people who need to write news stories and are told we need a summer story how about pools and add a health angle to it.

Dakota Rose
07-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Oh please.

Itchy
07-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Before we bash the pools to much stop and think about the table tops, hand rails, chair, and other items even in the food courts. Oh! and dont forget about the bathrooms.:ack:

biodtl
07-09-2009, 06:25 PM
I don't even think about it and it won't deter me at all. Like a previous poster said - it's sterile,a and the pools are monitored. To be honest, I think it's probably more than 1 in 5, but that is all that will admit it.

DigitalDaredevil
07-10-2009, 07:27 AM
Fish and other waterlife use the ponds/lakes/oceans as their bathrooms also. It's part of life. I don't worry about pool pottiers. It is so diluted in the pool and the chemicals take care of the dirty stuff.

LibertyTreeGal
07-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Urine is sterile, if I were stranded in the dessert without water, I would drink my own. And just about any woman who has given birth and sneezed really hard in the pool has done it too ROFL

Plus, I have three water treatment licenses -- if you knew what you were (safely, I might add)drinking.... anyone truly concerned about this would die of thirst!

#1donaldfan
07-10-2009, 10:14 AM
....I fully admit that I have P'd in the pool....

..Played in the pool that is....

......I'm with most and don't think about it...while gross it is to do it, have you seen the people sneezing, blowing noses while getting out....???

....I'm there to have fun and take a break from the parks, so, I'll continue to enjoy my pool breaks at Disney !!!!:thumbsup:

lockedoutlogic
07-10-2009, 10:22 AM
FACT: people have pottyed in the pool since the beginning of time
FACT: it's not ending anytime soon

prttynpnk
07-10-2009, 10:36 AM
If I worried about all the things I touched all day I'd never find the courage to put on my jorts and leave the house!:mickey:

illini
07-10-2009, 01:30 PM
If I worried about all the things I touched all day I'd never find the courage to put on my jorts and leave the house!:mickey:

Quote of the day! Love it.

Won't stop me from swimming. I suspect it's more than 1 in 5 since I'm pretty sure that at least 1 in 5 people don't wash their hands after using a public restroom. I just put it out of my mind.

I do, however, tell my kids and any kids in my charge that there's a dye in the pool that will activate if they pee. I wish more parents would tell that fib! (I also tell them why it's gross and not OK, that was just to make sure they didn't do it when they were little.)

diz_girl
07-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Won't stop me from swimming. I suspect it's more than 1 in 5 since I'm pretty sure that at least 1 in 5 people don't wash their hands after using a public restroom. I just put it out of my mind.

It is probably more than 1 in 5, because I think that the survey was only of adults. I'm sure that much more than 1 in 5 children do it.

ransam
07-10-2009, 02:11 PM
yea, i agree more than 1-5 do it...

but think of how many people put on suntan lotion, body lotion, bug spray, and then jump in the pool with all those chemicals..or people that get a little water in their mouth, and spit it out in the pool....
etc...
wow, never really thought of it that way until i wrote it down...i'm never going swimming again! ha.

gueli
07-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Chlorine.

grumpydude
07-19-2009, 12:00 PM
that is why they do put chlorine in there