PDA

View Full Version : diabieties stuff and flying

gueli
07-09-2009, 01:56 AM
Does anyone know, for a diabetic and traveling by air- are there restrictions on putting diabetic testing equipment & supplies in carry on luggage?

Strmchsr
07-09-2009, 08:30 AM
You absolutely need to carry your supplies in your carry-on. Don't carry them in your checked-luggage as temps in the cargo hold can cause problems.

Here's from the TSA website about diabetics:

Notify the Security Officer that you have diabetes and are carrying your supplies with you. The following diabetes-related supplies and equipment are allowed through the checkpoint once they have been screened:

* Insulin and insulin loaded dispensing products (vials or box of individual vials, jet injectors, biojectors, epipens, infusers, and preloaded syringes;
* Unlimited number of unused syringes when accompanied by insulin or other injectable medication;
* lancets, blood glucose meters, blood glucose meter test strips, alcohol swabs, meter-testing solutions;
* Insulin pump and insulin pump supplies (cleaning agents, batteries, plastic tubing, infusion kit, catheter, and needle); Insulin pumps and supplies must be accompanied by insulin.
* Glucagon emergency kit;
* Urine ketone test strips;
* Unlimited number of used syringes when transported in Sharps disposal container or other similar hard-surface container.
* Sharps disposal containers or similar hard-surface disposal container for storing used syringes and test strips.

Insulin in any form or dispenser must be clearly identified.

If you are concerned or uncomfortable about going through the walk-through metal detector with your insulin pump, notify the Security Officer that you are wearing an insulin pump and would like a full-body pat-down and a visual inspection of your pump instead.

Advise the Security Officer that the insulin pump cannot be removed because it is inserted with a catheter (needle) under the skin.

Advise the Security Officer if you are experiencing low blood sugar and are in need of medical assistance.

You have the option of requesting a visual inspection of your insulin and diabetes associated supplies. See the Medication section below for details.

Basically you need to make sure your supplies (especially the insulin) are in their original factory supplied box with the pharmacy label.

lockedoutlogic
07-09-2009, 10:13 AM
At most you will get a bag search.....no diabetic supplies are ever confiscated by security agents...

trust me....

and as the post above mentioned: make sure you have enough supplies to get you through the trip in your CARRY-ON

Don't trust baggage handlers..at all. And replacing supplies is a hassle you don't want to deal with in Orlando

lockedoutlogic
07-09-2009, 10:15 AM
One other note:

Insulin does not have to have a pharmacy label on it.

That, along with baby food/formula, are the only liquids that are allowed through the screeners without such labels

piglet,pooh,and goofy2
07-09-2009, 10:23 AM
My mother is insulin dependant. She always has her letter from her MD, although no one has ever read it. She packs the syringes and alcohol wipes in a clear zip lock in the carry on.
She keeps her monitor with a few syringes and the insulin in her purse (for short trips). She also keeps a small can of OJ in her purse. She has never had it taken from her. (Her bs is extremely brittle.) She always informs the check points of the medical items. She said that on her last trip, they did not ask her to remove the syringes from the carry on to visualize. They just scanned the bag. Longer trips include a small thermos in the carry on to keep the insulin cool. Hope this helps.---Kim
:piglet: :pooh: :goofy: :rocks:

gueli
07-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks Guys (& gals).

I havent had to fly since being diagnosed and figured someone here (like the nice people you are) would be able to give me lots of good info.

Thank You,
Mike

thumperbug
08-23-2009, 07:24 PM
I'm a type 1 diabetic on an insulin pump. I put everything I need, moniter, test strips, glucagon kit, insulin pens..etc etc in a galloon sized zip loc separate from my little quart sized ones and never had a problem flying. I just tell the TSA person as I am about to walk thru the xray that I have an insulin pump on. I walk thru xray and most times it is fine. It is goes off I just hand them to pump, they look at it and give it back.

I learned NOT to pack any of my diabetic supplies in my luggage. I had 2 experiences where I put some of my pump supplies in my luagge and because some of it is tubing, it appeared odd on the xray and the TSA cut the locks on my luggage and did an inspection. They put special TSA tags back on.

So in short, just put anything and everything you need in a big plastic zip lock and you will not have any problems. :thumbsup: