PDA

View Full Version : Mears transportation

momef3grls
07-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Has anyone used them recently? I know magical express is contracted through them but anyone use Mears on their own? As a cast member my daughter used them to get to her apt. and she still has her return trip coupon, I am going to use it rather than magical express and it is actually saving me about $200. Where do i check in or get my ticket. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

CleveRocks
07-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Since Disney's Magical Express is a FREE service, how is it possible that using Mears is saving you $200???

It is also important to point out that Mears no longer accepts reservations for runs between MCO and the Disney owned-and-operated resorts. The very few people who walk up to the Mears counter at the airport and ask for a ride to a Disney o-and-o will be charged $19 for the one-way fare and then will be put in a Disney's Magical Express bus.

But nevermind any of that ...

I'm still stuck on your statement that avoiding a FREE service (a service that is included with your WDW room reservation) will save you $200. Please explain that one! :)

momef3grls
07-09-2009, 06:35 PM
My daughter is a cast member and it costs extra if you book the magical express. We get discounts on other things but not that and keep in mind nothing is ever "free." You may not pay for it up front but you are paying for it somewhere.

CleveRocks
07-09-2009, 08:02 PM
My daughter is a cast member and it costs extra if you book the magical express. We get discounts on other things but not that and keep in mind nothing is ever "free." You may not pay for it up front but you are paying for it somewhere.
You didn't mention that you booked the resort through your daughter, and I didn't know that CMs weren't entitled to Disney's Magical Express.

But what you probably don't realize is that Disney doesn't need to charge extra for DME because it is actually a money maker for them. Their cost for DME is an investment that brings them MUCH greater returns than what they pay for it.

And here's a personal experience for you. In September 2004 I booked a trip for May 2005. We looked at 4 different weeks, all in the same "Peak" season, 2 of them before DME started and 2 of them after DME started on May 5, 2005. All 4 quotes were exactly the same, to the penny.

And then in January of 2005 DME was announced. They certainly knew all the details about it before they announced it to the public. And yet, they charged exactly the same for the resort reservations whether it was before DME started or after it started. So it WAS free, see?

Disney_Barbie
07-10-2009, 11:56 AM
I don't have advice on exactly what you're looking for (IE - where to check in or catch your bus for mears) but I can provide some insite just in the fact that we have used mears in the past yr.
Last summer, we stayed at the Dolphin (thus no M.E.) and booked a HORRIBLE limo company called Payless transportation and well it was just bad (I've already posted manytimes on intercot about what a VERY bad experience it was) Anyway, we had a roundtrip booked but after our 1-way I refused to step foot in their cars again. So we had to figure out different means of getting back to the airport at the end of our trip. We were gonna try to book a more reputable limo company, but honestly we had such a bad taste in our mouth from the 1st ride, that we didnt' want to blow all kinds of $ on it, when we knew no matter what we did, limos were gonna be a bad taste in our mouths for that entire trip. We just happen to pick up a flyer somewhere at the Swan/Dolphin that Mears did a bus run to/from them, and it was very affordable, so we figured why not.
It worked out well, the driver was kind & professional, the van was tidy & well maintained. That's all we ask for.
Sorry, that's the only mears insight I have