PDA

View Full Version : Kitten woes...

threeh
07-08-2009, 11:35 AM
I just got 2 kittens from my vet and they are driving me crazy. When I first brought them home the went poo all over the house. I changed their diet and tried to litter train them again (kept them in a bathroom with litter box for a few days) now all my cats keep doing their business in the litter box room in my basement but all over this room. I clean it up, try to cover the scent but still it keeps happening. Does anyone have any suggestions I am so tired of kitten mess. :sick: grrrrrrrrrr.
I do have one much older cat who just ignores the kittens, I don't know if that is part of the problem???
Thanks!! Anyone want me to send them a couple of kittens in the mail (kidding)

RenDuran
07-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Am I understanding you correctly that all your cats are pooping everywhere now? I'm glad I only have one cat! But I have had multiples before and it can get messy!

Do your cats have enough litter boxes? I haven't always followed this "rule", but I have read that you should have one litter box per cat and then one extra. Or are you expecting the new kittens to use the litter box that the established cats have been using? This might cause problems.

Are you really removing the odor from any accidents? Try using white vinegar. Animals can smell things that we can't, so you may not be removing all odors like you think you are.

Give it some time! And good luck!

LauraF
07-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Better than vinegar - enzyme cleaner's like Nature's Miracle do the trick. A dose of that and then a vacuum, solves most accidents. (Just don't use anything with ammonia. That attracts them.)

A suggestion - don't let your new babies roam at night. I used to lock mine in the bathroom with their box and a bowl of water. It kept the damaged areas to a minimum, but also enforced, that night time was the time to rest and be quiet. Even now, 10 years later, other than a tendency to sleep in the sink, they're fine.

They might need their own box for a while until they get bigger too. Sometimes little legs can't climb as well and need a lower side to the box.

Good luck!

Jeri Lynn
07-08-2009, 04:45 PM
I would keep the kitties in one area for a while, make sure their litter boxes stay clean. Eventually they should get it, kitties are usually pretty smart about their litter boxes.

It sounds like perhaps your kitties can't find their litter box in the cellar, or perhaps they can't get down the stairs real well.

Good Luck!

Reesa Roo
07-08-2009, 04:47 PM
We have had the problem in the past of the cats doing their business on the floor right next to the box or an a throw rug two feet from the box. Very maddening! After reading a post like this on the internet, we tried a cat litter called "Cat Attract" that you buy at the pet store and it works 100% of the time!! I've tried to wean the cats off this litter since it's kind of pricey but one of them goes right back to the floor if we switch litters. So - I'm sticking with Cat Attract. No more messes! A co-worker recently got a kitten who was pooing all over the house too so she tried the Cat Attract and it worked for her too. It's kind of $$ but there is a $1 off coupon in every bag so that helps. It's about $13 a bag. BTW... we have three cats and only one litter box and have never had problems with them sharing.
Good Luck and don't give up...
Lisa

brownie
07-09-2009, 08:35 AM
You should have at least one litter box for each cat you have. If you haven't bleached the floor after you've cleaned it, do that too. Talk to your vet, he or she can probably give you some good advice on dealing with this.

threeh
07-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Thanks all for the advice!!!:number1: