PDA

View Full Version : Disney through the years . . .

BelleKP
07-08-2009, 10:37 AM
For my birthday this year, my mom gave me a Disney flip frame. In it, she had placed one picture from each of my trips over the years (12 total). It made me realize (how old I am :D) how much of my 'growing up' memories are tied to Disney vacations. :mickey:
I don't remember my first trip, I was 4 . . . but my first memory of a true vacation with my family was to DW. Flying on a plane, staying in a hotel and of course MK and EP!! :cloud9:
In my pre-teens we went to Disney and I remember this being the first time my brother (he was 16) and I were given some independent time away from our parents. We were in HS (MGM ;)) and we were allowed to go off together for a while.
I had a bout of 'troubled teen' years which did a lot of damage to my relationship with my parents. :( But in my late teens, in an attempt to rebuild some of the damage . . . my mom and I took a girls only trip to DW. It is still one of the best memories I have with my mother.
In my early 20's my now DH and I took our first vacation together as a couple to DW.
And in 2006 we took our DD to Disney on our first grand gathering trip with friends.
Now there have been many trips within those (band trip in highschool, mom's 60th birthday trip, best friend getaway, etc.), but it just amazed me how much DW has been a part of my growing up experiences.
How about you Intercotees . . . I know many of you have grown up with WDW. What has it meant to you?

figgie
07-08-2009, 10:46 AM
My DH and I went to Disney the first weekend it opened. We were in college and went with friends. Our 3 kids loved family vacations there. My son spent his honeymoon there and now we take our grandson who is now 5. He has been going since he was only months old.

Yep, WDW is a big part of our family's history!

Imagineer1981
07-08-2009, 11:36 AM
A huge part of our family. Both my wifes family and my family took us when we were kids almost every or every other year. We both grew up Disney Freaks and both went to art school to become animators. You could say that because of our Disney passion is why we eventually met. We now have a 16month old son, and we are taking him in August and can't wait to pass on the tradition.

iheartdisney
07-08-2009, 12:35 PM
My cousin was an electrician that helped build WDW and he gave my grandparents passes in the 1st year that it opened. They used them to take my sister and I. It's one of my favorite memories with them. With relatives living in Florida we went just about every year since it opened. WDW has held family vacations, senior trips, birthday celebrations, celebrating adoption, 1st camping trip, holiday trips, homeschool "working" trips, hearing my daughter sing at Candlelight, Anniversaries, etc. etc. etc. We have found every reason in the book to celebrate with a Disney trip. The only thing I couldn't finagle was our wedding at Disney (my husband isn't quite the Disney Dork that I am).

Disney has been a huge part of my life and I'm taking pleasure in passing down the tradition with my 3 children. It's an amazing place. No other place like it. Hands down! :mickey:

Kathy Jetson
07-08-2009, 02:05 PM
I also have a large picture frame that holds 10 pics I put a new one in each time we get back from Disney so I can see my son grow up each year at dw I love it!

BluewaterBrad
07-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Yes it has been a big love of mine. My first trip was in 73 when my parents took us. Stayed in the Contemporary Resort. I was in the first grade and really remember just about all of the trip. next trip was when i was in the 4th grade and my sis was in the 6th or 7th. Those were the times when our parents never thought twice about letting us go off on our own for the entire day. (we would meet for lunch and dinner to check in). I have marched in 2 main street parades (played he cornet) and went 'backstage". Man, what awesome memories!! More trips with the family in the original Treehouse Villas. I attended the 1985 Grad Nite. (what a wonderful event that was!!)
There was a time between 18 and 26 yrs old where I constantly was devoted to my career so I never went during those years. I was headed to a convention in Orlando when I was 26 and decided that I would spend a day at the Magic Kingdom. All of those old magical memories came back!
Since then I would love to see how many trips my wife and I have been on. I do know that during a period of time between 07 and 08 I spent a total of 31 nights on Disney property!!:mickey:

ibrowse17
07-09-2009, 10:18 AM
I can remember that on our first few trips, it was just the MK, the Poly, the CR and Fort Wilderness. I remember the train that rode through FW, and I can recall swimming in Bay Lake. I also have many great memories of River Country, and of Discovery Island. So many things are gone now from those days, replaced by so much more:thumbsup: