PDA

View Full Version : Best tips for 4 and 5 year old on plane

mattandmandy
07-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Our flight will not be that long to Orlando (only about 2 or 3 hours). This is our first time on a plane with our 2 boys. Any suggestions from parents who have traveled with children? What should we definitely bring? I don't want to over burden ourselves with a lot of things that we probably wouldn't need. What kept your little ones busy on the plane? We've got a laptop and video ipod so a movie could definitely keep them both occupied but sometimes they get bored with that. I want some back up ideas.

Thanks!!

justice11
07-07-2009, 06:52 PM
we just took our 4 year old twins and they mainly watched out the windows and they had great mommy daddy bonding time as the little girl sat with mommy and the boy sat with daddy and i. they were very good and we were worried.

VolMickey
07-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Portable DVD player with headphones and Disney Movie! Our DD, when she was 4, just slept however...

thrillme
07-07-2009, 07:00 PM
They'll be fine. DVD player, Laptop...they're good to ride. Workbooks/puzzle books are always good too. For some reason at that age mine became obsessed with seek and find words. He didn't necessarily know what the word was but he liked putting the letters together.

They have some puzzle programs too on the internet where you make up the words and it will turn it into a puzzle for you. This could be a LOT of fun for them to prepare for the trip. Have them think of a mess of "Disney related" words, Mouse, Mickey, Chip, Donald, etc. or "family" trip, travel...words etc. Print them out and let them work them on the plane.

The time taking off and the time landing (where you can't use electronics) can seem sooooo long.

Dizneydreamin'
07-07-2009, 07:27 PM
I flown a couple of times with my DD6 & DS4 and each time I let them bring a small backpack that they can carry onto the airplane. I usually put in colored pencils, coloring book, and a small book that they can look at, and their favorite stuffed animal. In all actuality, my DD has never stayed awake on any flight!

irish1967
07-07-2009, 07:55 PM
A snack ... and :secret: discreetly purchase a sealed drink for them once you are past security (something that doesn't need to stay cold.)

If you get stuck on the plane for some reason, you won't have to deal with children who think they will starve to death or die of dehydration before the plane takes off (been there, done that, will never travel without food/something to drink ever again :cool:)

Otherwise - I have made "custom" coloring books for my children. If you google "free coloring pages mickey mouse" or "free coloring pages disney world" you should get a lot to choose from. Print them out, three hole punch them and put them in a folder with a new small box of crayons.

Have a great flight/visit!

wdw_bound
07-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Crayola color wonder markers - they get to make pretty pictures, and you don't have to buy a new seat for Delta - the markers only work on the special paper. We swear by these products, first for DD and now for DS.

And definitely pack some great snacks - PP was right that it can be extremely miserable if you are grounded on the tarmac for some reason.

Have a great trip! :mickey:

Strmchsr
07-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Other than what's been suggested already, all I would add is teach them how to clear their ears. Pinch the nose closed and swallow is the best method (works great with scuba diving, too). Another to pinch their nose closed and blow gentle through the nostrils. A little harder to explain. The kids are old enough to use those tricks and it'll make the flight easier on them.

RockinRollerMom
07-07-2009, 08:23 PM
I flown a couple of times with my DD6 & DS4 and each time I let them bring a small backpack that they can carry onto the airplane. I usually put in colored pencils, coloring book, and a small book that they can look at, and their favorite stuffed animal. In all actuality, my DD has never stayed awake on any flight!

:ditto: The backpack we always keep as a surprise. We don't let DD open the backpack until we get to the airport. All of the new things to play with keep her entertained for long enough to get through the plane ride.

gaffz70
07-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Our backpack items are also always a surprise - usually cheap stuff -new coloring books etc., they are always good for a couple of rounds of hangman. We always brig fruit snacks to chew for their ears. Any leapster/DS/handheld games work well.
My one son got a kick out of the classic Mickey cartoons on the DVD player, he had the rows around us cracking up at him laughing so much!!

mattandmandy
07-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Wish I knew how to edit my post because apparently I have forgotten how old my boys are! :blush: They are 3 and 4 not 4 and 5. Still all your suggestions have given me great, new ideas. Thanks all! If anyone has any other ideas, would still love to hear them.

Speedy1998
07-07-2009, 09:50 PM
We always get our children an activity bag with coloring books and stuffed animals. We hide it in our carry-ons until we get on the plane.

bouncer
07-07-2009, 09:55 PM
my routine is a "new" to him movie, coloring books & twist up crayons. snacks & purchase a water with squeeze top for no spillage after security check. Make sure to put the favorite stuffed animal in the backpack. we use a splitter for the earphones so that I can listen to the movie too. Might want to pack a small blanket or jacket for the plane 'cuz it can be cool. I usually get cold.

teambricker04
07-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Lots of good suggestions! You are some brave parents... with crayons and even markers. We don't bring them any more because they always get dropped. Once we were in the front of the plane and they all rolled to the back. The entire plane could hear them!!!! :blush: Now we bring magnet drawing board things.

My older son is 4. Any fun things he wants to bring, he has to carry himself onto the plane in his own backpack (it gets hooked onto the younger one's stroller when walking). He usually brings his drawing board, a couple of cars, some books, his leapster 2, and some snacks. He has his own routine of checking out the safety card and then "shopping" in the sky mall. He also carries his own water bottle... empty through security and then we fill it up.

Don't forget to go potty before you get on the plane!!! My poor DS was nearly in tears on one flight because we couldn't get up due to turbulence.

DisneyDog
07-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Definitely Crayola Wonder markers. They are great.

The last time we flew, we didn't bring the DVD player. Nope. Because we had a better idea. Load movies onto a ipod! Much smaller and easier to carry. It worked out great. DS could hold it in his hand and it was perfect. Kept him busy most of the entire trip.

Get earplanes. They helped my DS with the pressure quite a bit. I also made sure to bring plenty of lollipops for him to **** on during landing.

Seasonscraps
07-08-2009, 11:16 PM
A snack ... and :secret: discreetly purchase a sealed drink for them once you are past security (something that doesn't need to stay cold.)

FYI...there's no need to be discreet. Once you get through security, you are able to purchase and board with beverages. I do it all the time - sometimes it's bottled other times it's a cup from a fast food place.

RaRaRoundTheWorld
07-13-2009, 08:55 AM
Our kids have flown numerous times since they were infants. We also pack a backpack each with favorite small toys, paper & washable markers, Legos, a DVD player with headphones. We buy extra snacks once through security.

A few times (only on return flights) we've been hit with delays so having this entertainment is always handy.

r4kids
07-13-2009, 05:40 PM
We head to our local $1 store and stock up on snacks and activities. We let them choose what they want and then they can't open it until we are on the plane. They choose coloring books, crayons, puzzles, little toys, etc. The best part is it is only a $1 so if it is lost or ruined it is not a big deal. We also take movies for them to watch. :)

DisneyAndRedSox
07-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Crayola makes crayons that are not round, but are triangular so they don't roll... great for the tray table (got mine at Toys R Us-pricey but worth it). You can get Disney themed coloring books at Dollar Tree sometimes.

Get Highlights High Five magazine & Disney and Me magazine (Barnes and Noble)

Stickers are easy to play with, so are colorforms (hard to find).

Do the kids have Leapster? I see a lot of kids playing that.

Just prepare kids that at the beginning and end of a flight that DVD's, iPods, etc need to go away. Give plenty of warning when you feel the plane decending.

FYI, if you download videos to an iPod, it kills out the battery much faster than playing music. We practically drained mine waiting at the gate.

EDIT- another thing... if you are getting a rental car, before you leave home rent movies from Red Box. $1 a day and then you can return them at any Red Box in Orlando on the way to the hotel. Can do same on way back. There are tons of boxes in the Orlando area.