PDA

View Full Version : ARE Values really bad in the summer???

mrs.jacksparrow
07-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Hi,

I was just given the "hold your horses" and "no way" from a friend to staying at a VALUE resort July 23, 24 and 25th. They said it was filled with unsupervised tweens and teens and the pools get too crazy for little ones etc etc.
IS this true...are there any values you would stay at during this time...my friend said to stay off property....

thanks!

Strmchsr
07-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Everywhere is crowded during the summer. However, it wouldn't keep me from staying on property. That's a big chunk of the Disney magic. At the values there's at least 2 pools and usually 1 of them is more crowded and popular than the others so you just take your little ones to the other. There are unsupervised teens, but I don't think they cause a problem. It's just a lot of folks, which is normal for summer. If you have little ones you're not going to leave them unsupervised anyway, so there's nothing that should be a problem for you. Just relax and enjoy your trip!

disneymom15
07-07-2009, 04:32 PM
I totally agree with STRMCHSR.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
07-07-2009, 04:59 PM
We just returned from WDW and stayed at POP. The pools were a little crowded in the evening hours, but we went usually from 12-2 for a mid-day break, and there wasn't any problem.

pandkx3
07-07-2009, 05:06 PM
never had a problem:mickey:

JoDisney
07-07-2009, 06:18 PM
I was reading an article on the 10 things not to do at Disney. One of the ten was not to stay at a Value resort in the Summer.

VolMickey
07-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Put that under GTK...

Good To Know.

TheMartellFamily
07-07-2009, 08:36 PM
We have stayed at a few resorts during the summer and the busiest one we felt was ASSports, the pool was filled to capacity. We usually stay at POP and there are 3 pools, while I stay away from the busy Hippy Dippy pool, we go to the Computer pool (which is by the 80's, 90's section)is less crowded, and therfore quieter than the other.

Iteachpc
07-07-2009, 10:51 PM
I'll be at Pop the end of July and wouldn't consider staying off property! We stayed at Pop 3 years ago in June and while it was busy we didn't have any problems. The main pool was more crowded, the pool closer to our room wasn't very busy, though.

As a previous poster said...everything is busy in the summer. If crowds bother you then you might consider one of the moderate resorts which typically are larger in land mass and therefore may seem less busy.

pixiesmimi
07-08-2009, 10:27 AM
We stayed at ASMovies in the summer and had no problems. It wasn't any more crowded than any other vacation site in the summer. (Except maybe the food court at breakfast time) Most people are going to be at the parks during the day. The day we went to the pool there were a lot of people there but it was big enough for all and no more crowded than a waterpark. The younger ones played at the baby pool/fountain area while we sat near by doing laundry and watching them. Once we started staying on property we decided to not stay off property any more unless we had to. It is so much more magical!

Gator
07-08-2009, 03:28 PM
It'll be busy no matter where you go. On my only summer trip to WDW, I stayed at POR. The buses were always crowded and slow, the pool was always full, and the the spa was always choked full of teenagers. I would imagine that most resorts are like this during the summer.

Goes4FastPass
07-08-2009, 04:25 PM
I was reading an article on the 10 things not to do at Disney. One of the ten was not to stay at a Value resort in the Summer.
Proving once again opinions are like belly buttons: Everybody has one.

I used to be hesitant about the cheapest WDW resorts - the "values" then we stayed in one, in the summer and it was swell.

BluewaterBrad
07-08-2009, 05:15 PM
I totally agree with STRMCHSR.

Me too!!:mickey:

DizneyRox
07-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Crowds seem to be noticably on the lite side this year. You wouldn't catch me near a value, but not due to the crowds at the pools.

lightyearfan
07-09-2009, 01:31 PM
you'll have no issues staying at an all stars resort, we've been to the music for some time now, and in the summer months, it's just fine, you might want to stay away from the sports that can get a little louder than music or movies. it's probably due to allot of kids sports functions that disney likes to host.

Victor

Granny Jill A
07-09-2009, 01:55 PM
The lifeguards will keep the foolishness under control. They are very quick to stop any horseplay or dangerous activity. I see no problem with staying at a Value. I would recommend Pop Century because they have 3 very nice pools to choose from.

Have a great time.

Disney Doll
07-09-2009, 05:09 PM
I think everything is crowded in summer. We took one summer trip before we knew better and never again. If you're going in July you'll have to deal with crowds no matter where you stay. That said, I do like being more spread out at the moderates. It's probably just as crowded, but it doesn't feel that way (at least to me).

waymickey
07-10-2009, 09:53 AM
I was at ASM last summer for one night and I did not like it. The CMs were great but it was very crowded and the unsupervised tweens and teens did engage in some activities that i did not want my daughter to view. lets just say boy girl realtions that should not be done in public.
We also found this particular resort room to be on the unclean side.Cheese doodles on the floor, chocolate mussed into the carpet and the sink did not work. As we were only staying the one night it wasn't horrible. on the positive side, the themeing is great the CMS are friendly and the food court fills everyones needs.

lockedoutlogic
07-10-2009, 10:13 AM
crowds are high at certain times of year (most...actually) no matter how much you pay

I for one feel the moderates are way more "overcrowded" than the values, lb. for lb.

But you get some general rowdiness everywhere...and unsupervised kids and tweens

the only advantage to some of the pricier locations is that often their rooms are filled with conventioning business travelers...so they are quieter and don't use the facilities nearly so much. But that's not usually the case in the summer.

Gooftroop5
07-10-2009, 10:49 AM
You wouldn't catch me near a value, but not due to the crowds at the pools.

:ditto:

To each their own though.

fupresti
07-10-2009, 01:53 PM

To each their own though.

Glad to know that I am not the only resort snob :thedolls:

I stayed at POP Century once in the off season and while the hotel is fantastically themed, it's location and some of the clientele it attracts was less that favorable to me. I would rather go less often and stay at a Moderate or Deluxe then ever stay at a Value again.

lightyearfan
07-10-2009, 02:42 PM
You wouldn't catch me near a value, but not due to the crowds at the pools.

well everyone is entitled to feel the way you feel, but you make it sound like staying at an Value resort is dirty and it's for low lifes, well as you can see by my signiture we've stayed at a pretty decent moderate, and besides the food court and Boatwrights , there is not that much of a difference, we no longer want to spend the money for a moderate when we're out at the crack of dawn and don't get back to late at night,sometimes we tend to go back in mid afternoon to cool off in the pool, and have never had an issue with tweens or rowdiness. remember if staying at a value or moderate etc.. you get the same perks that Disney has to offer, EMH Free Parking etc..

this is (IMHO).

DizneyRox
07-10-2009, 02:52 PM
but you make it sound like staying at an Value resort is dirty and it's for low lifes,
I don't believe I said anythng of the sort. I think I said my reasons for not staying there had nothing to do with crowds at the pools.

lockedoutlogic
07-10-2009, 03:02 PM
I don't believe I said anythng of the sort. I think I said my reasons for not staying there had nothing to do with crowds at the pools.

no you didn't.....but you knew this was gonna happen.

Can't say anything about a value because the tears start....

a reminder: hotel "class" in disney terms is just a markup on the location of your hotel room in relations to the parks.....not really a reflection of treatment, by and large

DizneyRox
07-10-2009, 03:20 PM
I have found there is a pretty big difference between the different "classes" of resorts.

I agree that location plays a big part, however I feel that the theming of better as you climb the ladder, food options get better, overall convenience (less lines for busses, check-in, "concierge", bell services, and so on). There's also the noise levels at the resorts, and even build quality, just to name a few...

lockedoutlogic
07-10-2009, 03:46 PM
I have found there is a pretty big difference between the different "classes" of resorts.

I agree that location plays a big part, however I feel that the theming of better as you climb the ladder, food options get better, overall convenience (less lines for busses, check-in, "concierge", bell services, and so on). There's also the noise levels at the resorts, and even build quality, just to name a few...

uh oh....here it comes....

I can tell you from both sides of the wall at the different "classes" of resorts.....the differences are minimal

a short slide, a hot tub or two...and the big one: the restaurants....

but of course, many people don't even use the restaurants (you're a florida resident...so that undoubtedly seems like blastphemy...but it is true)...and there is usually food around every turn in WDW...so there your go

I love the "deluxes"...but they are not worth what you are charged for them...not even close

put it this way: i'm glad i only pay dues now for my DVC rooms....because the monetary equivalent is a rip off.

Fantasmic
07-10-2009, 04:08 PM
When I stayed at a Value (AsM) I felt treated like I was.... not low life or scum... but like I wasn't a valued Disney Guest...

lightyearfan
07-10-2009, 04:55 PM

that's fine i guess, but when you read all the posts about values that are based on a few bad experiences while me and dw have never had one i feel like i have to be the positive one in the group. believe me the last thing that i want to do is start a posting war.

p.s. there are no tears coming from me!

fupresti
07-10-2009, 09:57 PM
I love the "deluxes"...but they are not worth what you are charged for them...not even close

You are entitled to your opinion, as am I and absolutely they are worth it. I don't go on Disney for a vacation, I go for an experience and the hotel is a big part of that.

lockedoutlogic
07-10-2009, 10:33 PM
You are entitled to your opinion, as am I and absolutely they are worth it. I don't go on Disney for a vacation, I go for an experience and the hotel is a big part of that.

Well....my experience comes from the fact that i worked it....so just a little perspective...

would you be shocked to know that the grand floridian had the lowest quality employees and managers and basically just kinda was running itself in limbo in the absence of skill?

It did for quite awhile.

The room rates stayed the same...which is to say...increased 10% a year

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain:mickey:

fupresti
07-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Well....my experience comes from the fact that i worked it....so just a little perspective...

would you be shocked to know that the grand floridian had the lowest quality employees and managers and basically just kinda was running itself in limbo in the absence of skill?

It did for quite awhile.

The room rates stayed the same...which is to say...increased 10% a year

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain:mickey:

I understand you have an issue with the deluxe hotels, but yours is based in an experience as a castmember. I may say my company provides an inferior product but if the end user has a completely different experience, which is more valid?

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
07-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Stay where you are happy and comfy and feel safe. For us it is POP, For my sister it is the Contemporary.

Just enjoy your vacation and get all you want out of it...

lockedoutlogic
07-13-2009, 11:10 PM
I understand you have an issue with the deluxe hotels, but yours is based in an experience as a castmember. I may say my company provides an inferior product but if the end user has a completely different experience, which is more valid?

I've also paid the rackrate at the deluxes.....

before and after the work...

"I'm not only the President....i'm also a cliente"

ASweetLov
07-13-2009, 11:46 PM
I have stayed at Pop during July and while it was crowded the pools weren't bad. I visited the All Stars to be nossy in what it looked like and I noticed lots of Brazilian teen groups staying there at the time.

hardingella
07-14-2009, 06:33 AM
Proving once again opinions are like belly buttons: Everybody has one.

If we all had the same opinion then one resort would be EXTEREMLY busy, wouldnt it?

tink2006
07-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Stay where you are happy and comfy and feel safe. For us it is POP, For my sister it is the Contemporary.

Just enjoy your vacation and get all you want out of it...

I agree! My husband dislikes the value - stayed once and will not go back. I, on the other hand, did not have a problem with value. However, everybody needs to feel happy about the choice so we stay moderate. He gets his hotel and I get WDW - everybody happy :thumbsup:

T-Belle
07-14-2009, 09:21 AM
Only stayed at a value once. The complaint I have is not with the pools but with the bus system. There's just so many people to provide for and it was like we we're always waiting for the next one to come along. Also, the waiting area at the All Stars is not shaded.
You know, it is what it is. It's a value resort that makes it affordable for families ( and singles too) that want to have a magical vacation and might not have big $$ to spend or for people who spend more time in the parks and just need a place to sleep.
Would I stay there again? You bet! But only when I drive down so I can use my own transportation.

jenny1976
07-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Go for it! it really depends how much time you spend at your hotel. Pop for example, is so spread out and has three pools, so I don't think you will have a problem. It mainly depends on what you are going to WDW for, if you just want to relax and get away, then a value or even WDW in July is not the place. But if you are wanting to do the park thing and partake in the hustle and bustle, you will be ok. Remember the heat factor as well and keep very hydrated. Staying off property...not an option, the parks will be so crowded you will at least want to take advantage of EMH to get as much fun in as possible. Be warned though, Pop is your best option because of the transportation issue, it does not share a bus as the other values do.
Hope you have a nice trip!:blush:

GrumpyFan
07-14-2009, 10:04 AM
We've stayed at Pop numerous times and as stated by others, the main pool can get very busy and noisy at times. If so, then just pick another pool, or maybe come back later.

We love Pop though, it's a fun place to stay with kids and the CMs there has always been great. It can be a little on the noisy side sometimes, though, depending on where your room is. Preferred rooms tend to be close to noisy areas, so you trade off convenience of being close to the front for a little less noise. Regardless, it's still a nice place to stay and one of our preferred choices.

Goes4FastPass
07-14-2009, 10:05 AM
I've found my experiences at the resorts (all 3 "classes") depends more on the individual cast members I interact with than the class label marketing placed on the resort.

I wish the bosses at WDW understood this better and rewarded their best CMs while bidding "get lost" to their worst.

I've had individual CMs at all 3 classes treat me like "my break starts it 2 minutes" while others like "the single thing I want to have accomplished when I leave work today is I want to have made this guest's visit so great that he buys a DVC membership and tells all of friends WDW is the happiest place on earth."

I, for one, believe Value, Moderate and Deluxe is much more about what WDW marketing tells us than about real differences between the rooms we stay in.

GrumpyFan
07-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Well said Goes4FastPass I've stayed at both Deluxe and Value, and really felt no difference in how I was treated. The only real value that I see in the Moderate and Deluxe resorts, are slightly bigger rooms, and maybe closer to the parks.

Gooftroop5
07-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Well said Goes4FastPass I've stayed at both Deluxe and Value, and really felt no difference in how I was treated.

I agree with this I didn't get treated any different. I felt valued at both by CMs. Being at the pool even when it was crowded wasn't bad.

However I enjoy the bigger rooms at the moderate & it seems quietier. We also enjoyed having a bus that wasn't shared between 3 hotels. Still use my vehicle to get around & not depend on Disney transportation. Dh & I had a night out with out kids & took the bus back from EPCOT after illuminations. The bus pulled away full just as we got into line. Dh & I got on the next bus within less then 5 minutes. That wouldn't have happened looking at the line for the All Stars.

Being a family of 5 we are limited to where we can stay. Dh & I stayed at ASMu before they turned it into family suites & before we had kids. I didn't enjoy it. We stayed at ASMo when dd was 2 1/2. I ended up sharing the bed with dd so dh & I had room to sleep. It didn't seem we were as crowded in our bed at CBR which dh & I shared last trip & our 2 dses shared the other bed (dd stayed in her grandparents room) Trust me if anything dh & I are bigger then we were 7 years ago.

This year we are trying POR with the trundle bed. This is why Value is not our cup of tea.

My Aunt will only stay at the Pop century if she does value & she has been at all the level. Which she usually does because she takes her grown up children & granchildren with her & she pays their way.

As I said before to each their own though.

elmjimmlm
07-15-2009, 02:26 PM
I will just say that you won't feel like you have left the parks...The crowds are just as bad and the people are just as pushy...

Cinderella's Lady in Waiting
07-16-2009, 09:06 PM
We were just there over July 4th and stayed at POP right in front of the pool in the 50's building. Loved it and NO problems! :number1:

lightyearfan
07-17-2009, 01:17 PM
When I stayed at a Value (AsM) I felt treated like I was.... not low life or scum... but like I wasn't a valued Disney Guest...

sorry that you feel the way you feel, but everytime me and dw go we are treated superbly, honestly, from the cm's outside that greet us everytime we enter from the front, to all the cm's inside. we've never had a bad stay or felt like we shouldn't be treated the right way.

Victor