PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide between CBR and Pop!

wdwnutz
07-07-2009, 12:54 PM
We are planning to go to WDW in December (I got my first PIN for free dining!) and we are trying to decide if it's worth the extra money to stay at CBR over Pop. Every time we go we try to stay at a different resort. We have a 16 and 3 year old and need some help with the pros and cons of both resorts!

Itchy
07-07-2009, 01:29 PM
First is the cost factor. Since Pop is a value resort the rooms will be slightly smaller than at CBR.
If the cost is not a factor CBR is nicer and has its own pool at each village in addition to the main pool. Unless you get close to the main hall it is quite a walk or you can use the shuttle. You also share buses for each of the villages at CBR.

Pop has its own buses and one bus stop which is at the main hall.

I will be at Pop again next month and have not had any second thoughts about staying at CBR.

When I get rich or famous, at some point I will stay at one of the deluxe resorts just for a change. Until then I am quite happy at Pop.

I think that the food court at Pop is larger that at CBR.

Happy Planning:mickey:

Wrigley
07-07-2009, 01:54 PM
I have stayed at both resorts, and I would choose CBR over POP. I absolutely love CBR. We also enjoyed POP very much, but to me, CBR wins. The food court is great at both, but I like CBR a bit better. I really like that each "island" at CBR has it's own pool, and then there's also the main pool. You are able to rent boats at CBR also, which your kids would probably enjoy. The rooms are larger at the CBR, which is nice!:mickey:

Goofy Pluto
07-07-2009, 02:21 PM
I have stayed at both resorts and would choose Pop over CBR.

We stayed at CBR in 2001 and just found the place to be... I don't know... dull? Just didn't have that "Disney feeling" to us. I don't know. Maybe it was because it was only a 1 month after 9/11 but the place seemed lifeless to us.

However we stayed at Pop in 2007 and loved it there. Yeah, the rooms are smaller but we loved the environment and cheaper cost! Plus only one bus stop, as was mentioned.

If I had to pick one, I'd go Pop. Of course, if you were stuck on getting a moderate resort, I'd go POR over CBR, too!

fatboy
07-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Another vote for CBR. It is a rally nice resort. It has a warm tropical feel. Every island cluster has it's own pool. The rooms are the largest of all the moderates. Just a really nice place for the money:thumbsup:

Disney Doll
07-07-2009, 05:04 PM
If you don't mind spending the extra money I'd choose CBR. We've stayed at both and while we like POP, CBR is just nicer. Double vanity, ceiling fan, refurbed rooms, larger resort so it feels less crowded, beautiful landscaping, marina with boat and bike rentals, sandy beaches for kids to play in, hammocks on the beach to relax in, just all in all a very tropical vacation feel.

lighteningqueen
07-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Does the room size really matter???? We go to Disney for the parks and fun NOT to stay in a big room. Why pay more for more space and be able to spend more on food, shopping etc. POP looks like it should be Disney it has the Icons etc. Since when did the Carribean, Hawaian, African Countrys say Disney.. I know they are nice but like one poster said if I were rich and wanted to throw money away and put on that I had the money to stay there, then it is Value till then. But if you want to pay $100 plus more at Deluxe upwards of 200.00 more a night to lay your head down and sleep shower, then go for the better ones. IMHO

nicster
07-07-2009, 06:10 PM
How much time will you spend at the resort? Is the walk to the bus stop a concern?? Would you rather, as some say, use the $$ elsewhere??? Such personal decisions. As you can see from my signature, we stay at mod resorts when we can, but if we must, we stay at value. The values at times have been noisy, I for one prize quiet when I am in my down time in the room. :cloud9:

CleveRocks
07-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Here is some general information comparing the Moderate and Value resorts overall:

Moderate rooms are 314 sq. ft. (except CBR rooms are 340).
Value rooms are 260 sq. ft.
The 54 square feet difference is about the size of two double beds.

Moderate rooms have a ceiling fan.
Value rooms don't.

Moderate rooms have a fridge.
Value rooms don't (or you'll pay $10/day to rent).

Moderate rooms have 2 sinks (except CSR's have 1).
Value rooms have 1 sink.

Moderates have a pool slide and a hot tub.
Values have neither.

Moderates provide pool towels at the main pool.
Values do not provide any pool towels … you must use your room towels.

Moderates' bus stops are covered (think protection from rain and hot sun).
Values' bus stops are not covered.

Moderates have lush landscaping.
Values have more "hardscaping."

Moderates have a food court AND a table-service restaurant (except POFQ ... food court only).
Values have only a food court.

Moderates have some sort of recreational activity (e.g., boat rentals, bike rentals).
Values don't have that type of recreational activity.

At Moderates, the maximum room charge limit is $1,000.
At Values, it's $500.

fatboy
07-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Does the room size really matter???? We go to Disney for the parks and fun NOT to stay in a big room. Why pay more for more space and be able to spend more on food, shopping etc. POP looks like it should be Disney it has the Icons etc. Since when did the Carribean, Hawaian, African Countrys say Disney.. I know they are nice but like one poster said if I were rich and wanted to throw money away and put on that I had the money to stay there, then it is Value till then. But if you want to pay $100 plus more at Deluxe upwards of 200.00 more a night to lay your head down and sleep shower, then go for the better ones. IMHO

When you have 4 people in a room it makes a huge differance. Two sinks vs. one to get ready at. A fridge in the room for whatever. Just not bumping into each other while getting ready can be an issue.

KatrinaJ91
07-07-2009, 10:56 PM
We've stayed at both and I would choose POP over CBR hands down. We did not like much about CBR. We didn't like the food court at all. To use, it definitely is not worth the extra money.

KatrinaJ91
07-07-2009, 10:56 PM
"To us..." sorry

Lizzie
07-08-2009, 12:07 AM
I didn't realize CBR had that much more space. We will stay there on our next trip with 2 kids in a bed and two adults and another kid under the age of three in a pack n play the additional space will make a huge difference.

fatboy
07-08-2009, 09:45 PM
I didn't realize CBR had that much more space. We will stay there on our next trip with 2 kids in a bed and two adults and another kid under the age of three in a pack n play the additional space will make a huge difference.

Good Choice!!:thumbsup:

KatMark
07-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Although CBR is the last Mod we would pick, we would always pick a mod over a value. We just didn't care for the noisy/crowded atmosphere we experienced at the value and we spend every afternoon at the resort. Therefore, we like having the quiet pools, and the hot tub, and the slide in the pool, the fridges in the room and coffee maker, more dining options, etc.

If you are only sleeping/showering, then I guess you could go with a value. It's just not something we would choose.

goofynmd
07-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Here is some general information comparing the Moderate and Value resorts overall:

Moderate rooms are 314 sq. ft. (except CBR rooms are 340).
Value rooms are 260 sq. ft.
The 54 square feet difference is about the size of two double beds.

Moderate rooms have a ceiling fan.
Value rooms don't.

Moderate rooms have a fridge.
Value rooms don't (or you'll pay $10/day to rent).

Moderate rooms have 2 sinks (except CSR's have 1).
Value rooms have 1 sink.

Moderates have a pool slide and a hot tub.
Values have neither.

Moderates provide pool towels at the main pool.
Values do not provide any pool towels … you must use your room towels.

Moderates' bus stops are covered (think protection from rain and hot sun).
Values' bus stops are not covered.

Moderates have lush landscaping.
Values have more "hardscaping."

Moderates have a food court AND a table-service restaurant (except POFQ ... food court only).
Values have only a food court.

Moderates have some sort of recreational activity (e.g., boat rentals, bike rentals).
Values don't have that type of recreational activity.

At Moderates, the maximum room charge limit is $1,000.
At Values, it's $500.

Very nice summary of the differences. I have been debating over dropping down to a value resort for our next trip, but these differences really make it seem worth it to spend the extra $$$ on a moderate.

lighteningqueen
07-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Values do have pool towels they roll out on huge carts and values do have some fridges, values have real Disney themes, values do have great food choices at their courts. Most of all you save money when all you do is use your room to shower and sleep. If you are going to sit in your room then pay to sit in your huge rooms. IMHO

Disney Doll
07-09-2009, 05:00 PM
DH and I were just discussing this the other day and we both like the moderates for a reason that doesn't come up that often. I like that the buildings are spread out (which does mean more walking) because being spread out means it doesn't feel so hectic and crowded. At the end of a long day I come back to a quiet room where it often feels like we are one of a handful of families even in the building. It's so much less stressful and that's worth something to me. You deal with crowds all day at the parks and it's so nice to have a break from all that at the resorts.

However, I know cost is a factor and that's a personal decision. When we first started going as a young couple we always stayed value because that's what fit our budget and we had some great trips. Even now I refuse to stay deluxe because IMHO it's too expensive. Only you can decide how much is too much to spend.

CleveRocks
07-09-2009, 07:37 PM
and values do have some fridges
Aside from the family suites at ASMu (which cost more than a Moderate room), exactly WHERE have you ever encountered a Value room that offers a fridge as part of the price of the room, without an additional per room cost???

lighteningqueen
07-09-2009, 08:27 PM
yes, the suites but last year someone posted that they had fridges in their rooms and wanted to make sure no extra cost and they said upgrade??? Do not question me on this as I do not know who they were and what forum they were on. Suites are 184.00 per night but if you have 5-6 people then NO a moderate is not big enough for that price, then it's 2 rooms right. Money is money..