PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Lodge newbie

beksy
07-06-2009, 11:00 PM
We are staying at WL in October for five nights. It is only my second time staying on-site and my mom's first. We will have the DDP (but that's a different discussion!). We are flying down and using Disney transportation so no car. This is our first time at a "deluxe" resort and I've only been in the WL to eat at WCC. So, what advice can you all give me? Is there a food court or something similar? How is the transportation? Any special things I should know or little secrets to make the trip more special? Mom will be in an ECV if that makes a difference with any of your advice. We are so excited to be staying here and appreciate anything you can tell me! :cloud9:

wdw_bound
07-07-2009, 12:05 AM
We love the WL. I have to warn you though - it will spoil you for almost any other resort.

Roaring Forks is the CS restaurant on property. It's not huge, but has a nice selection. The large breakfast (I believe it is the Bounty Platter) is 1 CS credit, and was enough food for me to share with my DD9 and DS3 with only an additional purchase of beverages. They also do the usual burgers and chicken, but have a selection of salads, panninis, etc.

Is your mom completely ECV dependent? If she can manage it, I really recommend going down to the beach to enjoy the EWP. It is hokey, but still a neat experience.

Just sitting on the balcony soaking in the atmosphere is wonderful. During the morning, I'll sit out there before the rest of the gang is awake and watch the birds, the ducks and the rabbits, listen to the music in the courtyard and just get so relaxed I almost don't want to go anywhere else. If I ever win the lottery, I think I want to live on a balcony at WL.

You'll have a great time! :mickey:

gaffz70
07-07-2009, 07:48 AM
We loved our stay there, it is beautiful. Because of being there w/ little kids, I don't think we took full advantage of the grounds - I wish we would have explored the outside grounds some more - your mom would prob enjoy it

There is a boat that goes to the MK, it's a great relaxing ride - I'm not sure if it is ECV accessible??

The CS place has a decent selection, but we really liked having dinner at whispering canyon there.

They also pick a family (each day, I believe) to raise the flag

You'll have a great time!!

WDWCrazyKaren
07-07-2009, 08:24 AM
I wanna be a WL newbie! We haven't stayed there yet, and it's the one that I look forward to someday (well, that and the Poly). We go there frequently to eat at Whispering Canyon (and back in the day when they had the Pooh character breakfast at Artists Point-I'm dating myself here) and we spend a lot of time perusing the resort. It's so beautiful. We take the busses and the boat for transportation and they are always very efficient for the times we've gone. Sorry, but we haven't done the food court, so I can't help you out there.

Have a wonderful time!

VolMickey
07-07-2009, 10:44 AM
As to something not to miss, no matter what...
W-H-I-S-P-E-R-I-N-G C-A-N-Y-O-N !!!

Have fun!

luvtheboardwalk
07-07-2009, 10:55 AM
We absolutely love the WL! However, we went there in May for dinner at Whispering Canyon and my mom is ECV dependent. We found the boat to be very difficult to manage with ECV. In fact, she had ripped the plastic arm rest trying to get it on the boat. I was glad we only had to do the boat that one time.

Other than that, you will absolutely love the WL, and you may have better luck with your ECV on the boat than we did! :thumbsup:

Hope you have a great vacation!

PlutoPlanet
07-07-2009, 12:01 PM
WL is terrific. Same architect as AKL, I believe. The store is above average. They play games at the pool in the afternoon, some days anyway.
I hope the ECV and boat transportation works for you. That would be my only concern.

beksy
07-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the great info...I think I'm even more excited now (if possible!). The boat and ECV was one of my main concerns. I think I'll check it out first and see. It'll also depend on how her driving is. She does okay at Wal-Mart, but can have issues with clothing racks! 104 days! :mickey: