PDA

View Full Version : First Time at GF

redleg96
07-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Hoping to get some good inside information on the Grand Floridian. December will be our first time there (6-14). This will be my second time ever at WDW (several times a DL from 2003-2005 while I was stationed at Fort Irwin following my first deployment to Iraq) and my wife's third time (her first was in the mid 1980s, she stayed at the Disney Inn back before it was SOG). Oup last time was Jul 08 at POR...suffice it to say we didn't particularly care for the POR but I'll spare everyone the details, feel free to ask if you'd like. Er'br finrf sy 1900PF and strolled the GF beach and were in awe. Long story short (sort of) I've heard early Dec is less busy and a beautiful time to go....all that being said, what do we have to look forward to at the GF during this time of year or in general and is the MVMCP worth it?
Thanks.

faline
07-06-2009, 07:19 PM
The Grand Floridian is definitely a lovely resort. We only stayed there once but enjoyed our stay very much. The rooms are very spacious and the service is wonderful!

Early December is a great time to visit though weather can be somewhat variable - you might have very warm weather, very cold weather, somewhere in between or all variations of weather in one trip.

The holiday decorations and festivities are always lots of fun. Be sure to enjoy the enormous tree and gingerbread house in the lobby of the Grand Floridian.

We've always loved Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and would not think of being at Disney at this time of year without attending.

redleg96
07-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the great info....we'll be looking to 'variable' weather. Last July was horribly humid and crowded....wouldn't think about going there again that time of year. The Army will be moving us during this trip as well so we'll have everything packed anyway and have a good variety of clothes packed. Hopefully we'll know where we're moving to before we leave. Looking forward to the decorations and holiday cheer. Hopefully less crowded than summertime.

faline
07-06-2009, 07:34 PM
We stayed in the Boca Chica building which we loved! Our room was actually on the very end of the building, overlooking Narcosee's. From this location, we could actually see most of the Magic Kingdom fireworks over the roof of the restaurant. It was very close to the quiet pool, a short walk to the main building and the boat dock. If we wanted to see the Electrical Water Pageant or all the fireworks, we could just walk around the corner to the water side of our building.

Early December is one of my most favorite times to visit. Though it is busier now than in years past, crowds are definitely manageable and nothing like the height of summer!

redleg96
07-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Thanks...that brings up another question but I think I might get slapped for posting it in the accomodations section as its more of a dining question (I'll justify it to myself by saying that it's dining at the resort)...we'll be on the DDP but we're planning on having a beautiful dinner at Narcosee's...we know it's 2TS credits but if it's as good as Jiko we think it'll be worth it....any thoughts?

faline
07-06-2009, 07:45 PM
We've had excellent dining at Narcosee's. We've also greatly enjoyed Citrico's. Have only been to Victoria & Albert's once but it was heavenly! Mizner's is a great place for a cocktail and to listen to the band that plays on the second floor of the Grand Floridian in the evening.

I notice you have a recent join date - Welcome to Intercot! :mickey:

rjmdds
07-07-2009, 10:17 AM
We've had excellent dining at Narcosee's. We've also greatly enjoyed Citrico's. Have only been to Victoria & Albert's once but it was heavenly! Mizner's is a great place for a cocktail and to listen to the band that plays on the second floor of the Grand Floridian in the evening.

I notice you have a recent join date - Welcome to Intercot! :mickey:

I second that! You must take some time to enjoy the beauty of the hotel. We've stayed there twice and are staying there again in November. My wife fell in love with the place as soon as we stepped foot inside. One of my favorite things in the hotel is to sit in the grand lobby in the early evening and listen to the wonderful band that plays off of the second floor balcony. It is such a relaxing moment in a generally hectic vacation. It is always a great way to end the first part of your day before your evening plans begin. Enjoy it and glad your home safely!

TammiMcMan
07-07-2009, 01:46 PM
I love the GF at Christmas. It's beautifully decorated and I'm a sucker for the Victorian theme. There's a beautiful tall tree in the main building and just lovely decorations everywhere, from the white lights to the gold deer in the gardens. They may have the carollers in the main building, just check your welcome packet. The GF orchestra plays holiday music right outside Mizners lounge.

What view do you have booked? That might help with some building suggestions. Personally, I like Sago Cay and Conch Key the best. They are sort of set back and tend be a little quieter in terms of foot traffic.

In regards to Narcoossee's, it's great food and views, but it can get loud. I would lean towards Citricos or if you're planning something romantic, consider calling private dining. There are a few spots around the GF where they can set up a private dinner. You can usually order off any of the menus. I'm not sure if you can use your dining credits, but it's worth asking. The cost is about the same as a signature dining meal. Just my personal opinion, but I would definitely have Jiko's on my dining list. The food is amazing and some of the best coffee on site.

If you haven't travelled to Disney around the holidays, you're in for a treat. As Faline mentioned, you can check out Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. This is a hard ticketed event, but at that time of year, if you want to see the Christmas parade and some of the other special things going on in the Magic Kingdom, you have to buy a ticket to the event.