PDA

View Full Version : top 10 tips for begginers

edhunter28
07-05-2009, 10:59 PM
The 10 most valuable tips for begginners
10.book your trip for when schools back in september(it is the emptiest time to go)
9.When the lines get long,go to a ride that is almost no wait to kill time
8.DO NOT EAT FAST FOOD DURING THE LUNCH RUSH!!!!!!!
7.if you plan on leaving when the park closes claim a bench near your stop (its better to wait the rush out)
6.bring a cooler & wash cloths to keep cool.
5.avoid park openings and closings
4.make use of the meal plan it saves money.
3.use your fastpasses a lot
2.Buy your ears a trip to disney isnt complete without them
1.remember to have fun (how cant you?)

PirateLover
07-06-2009, 12:56 AM
5.avoid park openings and closings

I have to wholeheartedly disagree with this one, sorry! We get the most done in the morning at park opening or waiting around for park closings, especially MK. When the park is open late, once the fireworks and Spectro are done, it really empties out.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
07-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Sorry. I would have to agree also. We get most of our things done at park opening and closing, especially with Extra Magic hours. This also leaves a couple of hours at the pool in the afternoons.

Disney Doll
07-06-2009, 11:06 AM
1. Go in off season. My favorite for crowds and weather is late Oct or early Feb. Do not go in summer.

2. Get to the parks early. You can beat the heat and the crowds. We honestly do half the attractions we want to squeeze in the day in the 1st couple of hours in the morning.

3. Do the math before you buy the dining plan. It's only a good value if it fits your normal dining habits.

4. Come prepared, but don't carry around the entire kitchen sink. Make sure you have ponchos.

5. Read a guide book or do some info gathering online before you go. There's a lot to know and WDW isn't one of those places where you just show up and figure it out as you go along.

6. Bring your own stroller. WDW stroller rentals are expensive and not even that great of strollers IMHO. Leave the travel system and just get an umbrella.

7. Schedule a rest day. We like to keep one day mid week for lounging and relaxing by the pool. WDW can wear you out and you don't want to be haggard at the end of your vacation.

8. If your kids are into characters do a character meal. It's the easiest way to see several characters all in one location without worrying about standing in line or being at the right place at the right time.

9. Eat breakfast in your room. We started that as a money saver and continue it because it's a fabulous time saver as well.

10. Take time to smell the roses. Slow down, assume you will never do it all, and enjoy the time with your family.

KronkHere
07-06-2009, 11:23 AM
EMH a must. After the fireworks are over, most people leave. We were able to ride POC twice, Jungle Cruise, Aladdins Magic Carpet, Splash Mtn and BTMRR all with little to no wait...It was great!!!

:pirate:

biodtl
07-06-2009, 02:47 PM
The best tip I got here has nothing to do with the parks, but the hotel room - pack an over-the-door shoe organizer to hang on the bathroom door for toiletries, etc. There is very little room to keep your things in the bathroom - especially at resorts with pedestal sinks, like POFQ. I have used this on every trip I have taken - at WDW or elsewhere.

pink
07-06-2009, 07:40 PM
I like Disney Doll's advice. :mickey:

omearac
07-06-2009, 09:03 PM
4. Come prepared, but don't carry around the entire kitchen sink. Make sure you have ponchos.

8. If your kids are into characters do a character meal. It's the easiest way to see several characters all in one location without worrying about standing in line or being at the right place at the right time.

Great advice! We ALWAYS rent a locker if we go during the winter. They are only about $5 a day and we don't have to lug jackets and hats around - totally worth it. At night we get our jackets and we're good to go! :party:

Belster
07-06-2009, 10:00 PM
10. Visit Intercot to plan your trip(you wont need an expensive Disney planner if you do)

9. Book your trip with MJ they rock!!!

8. Book at least once in your life during October...it is a wonderful time of year to go.

7. Try out the meal plan...you are on vacation treat yourself to some wonderful meals.

6. Each time you go try a different resort.

5.Ship a box of your personal needs to your resort 10 days before you depart...this will save you space and weight in your luggage.

4. Keep a tabbed small spiral with all of Intercot tips in it...you will be so happy you did.

3. Take a day to enjoy some other aspects of WDW...pools, DTD, other resorts.

2. Try something new...ride,food,conversation,show....endless possibilities.

1. I am also going to say slow down and enjoy your time and family.friends. Every trip you take will be like no other take time to soak it all in.

jonahbear2006
07-07-2009, 01:37 AM
1. If you get dining plan, print out the approved snack list and take it with you. This way you know you got the best choices.
2. If you are driving, consider packing into plastic drawers instead of suitcases. It will save room, messy bags, and prevent bringing home any bed bugs.
3. Bring something for snacks in the room, save your dining snacks for when you are out. It is less irritating to arrive at the parks or breakfast if you have snacked first and aren't starving.
4. Start in fantasyland,in the morning, before it gets busy.
5. If you have a baby, always get a switch rider pass, they are good all day long, whereas fast passes are only good for that time period on the card.
6. Don't eat during hard ticket events. Plan a meal before you are suppose to arrive so you don't waste precious time.
7. Bring extra shoes in case yours get wet; most tennis shoes are out of commission for a few days if they get wet.
8. Plan an itinerary; but allow for changes. It really helps to have things planned out.
9. have mickey sign a postcard and then mail it home. your kids will be thrilled that mickey remembered them.
10. Don't run away if it rains. Some of the most memorable moments and best pictures are on rainy days.

gaffz70
07-07-2009, 07:59 AM
I agree, these are great!!!

Adding..
Bring the fat "click it" sharpees for characters to sign autograph books - easy for them to use, no fumbling w/ caps

Get a wake up call from Mickey at least once

WDWCrazyKaren
07-07-2009, 08:51 AM
10. Bring Extra Socks
9. Get up early! We knock off about 70% of the rides we want to see before noon, head out for a swim at the water parks or spend an afternoon at Disney Quest, the back to the parks in the evening to enjoy the sunset.
8. Bring Extra Socks
7. If you do not have small children, don't carry things into the parks that you do not need! Backaches abound from all that extra stuff. Keys to the World, a little cash if you don't have charging on your room keys, small bottle of sunscreen, chapstick and a camera. We even skip the ponchos and just get wet. Because we Bring Extra Socks, we can do that.
6. Bring Extra Socks
5. Ziplock baggies and a few garbage bags to stuff dirty clothes in.
4. Extra Socks
3. A couple of jumbo paper clips to clip the curtains shut in your resort room. We all hate the sliver of light from those darn curtains that never seem to meet in the middle, and those paper clips are perfect!
2. Extra Socks. Ok, I keep saying this because I really mean it. If you are staying for a week, bring 14 pairs of socks. They don't take up much space, and you WILL need to change socks during the day. Feet both sweat and get wet at Disney. I despise sweaty socks (both on me and on my family members) and have found that a quick sock change in the afternoon before we head back to the parks keeps me happy.
1. Spray Powder Deoderant-our personal choice is Secret. And yes, men can use this too. Spray your feet with this before putting on your socks in the morning, and blisters become something OTHER people get. It smells good, and your feet don't sweat so much. Man, after writing this, I think you all get the impression that I'm not a stinky feet fan! :D

BelleKP
07-07-2009, 09:40 AM
I was going to write my own top ten . . . but Belster's list is identical to mine!! :thumbsup:

10. Visit Intercot to plan your trip(you wont need an expensive Disney planner if you do)

9. Book your trip with MJ they rock!!!

8. Book at least once in your life during October...it is a wonderful time of year to go.

7. Try out the meal plan...you are on vacation treat yourself to some wonderful meals.

6. Each time you go try a different resort.

5.Ship a box of your personal needs to your resort 10 days before you depart...this will save you space and weight in your luggage.

4. Keep a tabbed small spiral with all of Intercot tips in it...you will be so happy you did.

3. Take a day to enjoy some other aspects of WDW...pools, DTD, other resorts.

2. Try something new...ride,food,conversation,show....endless possibilities.

1. I am also going to say slow down and enjoy your time and family.friends. Every trip you take will be like no other take time to soak it all in.
** and to add one on . . . go early and take afternoon breaks! :thumbsup:

alaMode
07-07-2009, 10:01 AM
From jonahbear2006:

9. have mickey sign a postcard and then mail it home. your kids will be thrilled that mickey remembered them.

What a cute idea!

I will add my favorite autograph tip: If you have an official WDW autograph book, slide your photopass card into the plastic window inside the cover with the scan code facing outward. This way you just have to hand the open book to the photographer to scan and then get your autograph. Less things to handle!

Tess
poly 07
poly 08
pop 09
pop Christmas 09

ThanxForNoticin
07-07-2009, 01:20 PM
There are some great tips here. The one we always give friends going for the first time is kind of a subset of others here -

Enjoy Disney based on QUALITY, not QUANTITY.

Too many people try to do absolutely everything and end up enjoying nothing. Pick out a few 'must-dos' and enjoy them. If you get to some 'nice-to-dos', that's terrific, but enjoy the magic of the things you can do.

bruin1344
07-07-2009, 01:21 PM
1. Make dining reservations before going to WDW.
2. Avoid the parks that have extra magic hours AM unless you plan on going before the park opens to general public.
3. MK is the only park worthwhile during Extra Magic Hours PM unless you enjoy walking around Epcot.
4. Purchase the meal plan. There are so many great restaurants.
5. MK and Epcot are least 2 visits a trip. 1 visit is usually enough for DHS and AK.
6. Parades and fireworks are the time to go on attractions with long waits.
7. Dont wait more than 30 minutes for an attraction. Fast pass it, find a less busy time during the day, or go on a not so busy day.
8. If you can, plan trips on weekdays. Parks are less crowded during the weeks.
9. Avoid ATM. Bring cash, travelers checks, or use credit/debit cards.
10. Do some small planning ahead of time based upon your dining reservations and extra magic hours.

NJGIRL
07-07-2009, 03:24 PM
There are alot of great ideas here but I think the one thing you must do is taylor your vacation to your own family. What works for one doesn't always work for another.

With my family we go "hands free". The only thing I carry is my camera and advil. No backpack with stuff, no water bottles etc. We enjoy it alot more than carring stuff in. We just buy what we need.

We also don't need mid day breaks and never did even when my son was younger. We tried to day off to relax one year and sat by the pool and the kids kept asking why we were just sitting around doing nothing.

Do what makes sense for your own family.

princessat37
07-07-2009, 03:32 PM

i love this idea!!!

VolMickey
07-07-2009, 06:48 PM
i love this idea!!!

Ditto! :mickey:

07-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Go to the bookstore and get the book "The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World'. Read through it and when you get to the parks, see if you can find the "hidden magic" items in the book. Some are very obvious but many of them, you have to do some searching. Great fun to try to find them (IMHO).

No I do not get any royalties from the book. Daughter got it for me for Father's Day since I had just become a CM at Main Street, and I found a lot of stuff that I had never seen even after 30+ trips to the World.