View Full Version : 1st WDW Trip w/ my 1yr old-Day 1

Pooshu11
07-05-2009, 02:43 AM
Timeframe: 6/29/09-7/3/09
Resort: Beach Club Resort

Me (33yrs old)
DH (33yrs old)
DS (16 months old)

This is my first time writing a trip report. I've been checking out the trip reports on this site and they are so fun to read and it's so exciting to live vicariously through the lives of people who visited WDW recently that I thought, "why not"? I hope you enjoy reading it as much as we've experienced it.

A little background before our actual report-DH and I have been to WDW countless times. My first trip to WDW was back in 1986 and again in 1993. DH's first trip was back in 2000 w/ me and we have been going subsequently every year eversince and sometimes twice a year. I just recently got a job and decided to go on a last minute vacay before work started b/c who knows when the next time we'll be able go, you know? So we also decided to bring DS along w/ us and anyone else who could come along. Unfortunately, it was too last minute and it would only the 3 of us, which was fine by us. I was a bit nervous bringing such a young child along, so I did some research on this site and got some really great information from many people on this site. Thanks so much for that!
So anyhow, I did much planning and list making and brought practically our entire house on to the trip, lol! But we wound up using everything so that was good.

The day before our trip, DH and I had 2 engagements to attend. By the time we hit the sack, it was 1am. Our flight was at 7am and had to be up at 5am-not good. So we were already starting off exausted. But the flight was actually very pleasant. We left from EWR in NJ and instead of the estimated 2hrs and 40 min ride, they cut it down to 2hrs! We sat in the back row and luckily, no one sat next to us. Now, I was extremely nervous about the plane ride, since it was DS's first. Thank God he was very tired. He fell asleep as we were ascending and slept until 30 mins before we landed. So the whole plane ride was uneventful, luckily.

We got off the plane, did the monorail ride to the baggage claim, then to the rental car place and off we went on the road. Before we got to our resort, we made a stop offsite to pick up our park hopper tickets (we had a corporate discount) and went to BC to check in. Even before we walked into the resort, a CM asked if we were checking in. Once we responded "yes", she walked us to the check-in counter and waited with us there and lead us to the next available CM. The whole thing only took a couple of mins. Great service already within minutes in the resort! We got a room on the 2nd floor, overlooking the woods. A king size bed and a Murphy bed. One thing I have to make a comment about that I really wasn't happy about was the condition of our room. The BC itself is a very beautiful resort w/ lots of wonderful ammenities and activities, but I guess b/c people stay there constantly and due to that, the rooms get really used and run down. Or maybe the cleaning staff aren't doing a good job? Whatever the reason, we noticed a black stain on the carpet, dust and dirt along the toilet paper dispenser and bathroom fixtures and overall, a very "used" feel to the room. But it wasn't anything serious that we couldn't overlook. But the price that you pay to stay there, you would expect better, I suppose. Anyhow, we dropped our stuff off, went to Publix to pick up some milk, juice and toiletries, dropped it off back at our room and finally, off to MK!

We had dinner reservations at Whispering Canyons at 8:30pm so we parked our car at WL and took the friendship to MK. It was a hot sunny day at MK so the first thing we did after going under the railroad tracks was to buy that fan/water squirting thing. DS did not like that at all, lol! He was afraid of that, so DH and I enjoyed using that ourselves. We took a couple of pictures in front of the castle and the Walt statue and went towards fantasyland. It seemed very crowded to us, but I think it seemed that way b/c we just got there. We realized by the end of our trip that attendance didn't seem to be high, at least in our opinion. We decided that our 1st ride would be Philharmagic which was a 10 min wait. DS was intrigued by the show. He didn't have his glasses on for obvious reasons (too big!) but he was glued to the screen, watching every minute. I truely enjoyed his facial expression the entire time! Then it was off to small world, which was about a 20 min wait. I kept DS distracted by pointing at the clock and building designs on the wall. That kept him busy. The ride itself was okay to him, it seemed. Not so interested but not bored. But at least he wasn't freaking out. Then, we looked at the line for peter pan, saw that it was 60mins and decided to fast pass. our return was bet 8-10pm, which was fine, since EMH this night was till 2am. So we decided to come back after dinner to MK (which we never did). After we got the FP, we started walking around, checking out Toontown and tommorrowland. We wanted to go on the TTA but that was down, as well as space mountain. so we went back to fantasyland and put DS on the carousel ride. DH was with him and said DS looked a bit scared. We didn't even dare to go on line for dumbo because the line looked long and I know that line feels like forever when you are on it.

So we hung around fantasyland a bit more and decided to go to dinner a little earlier than our reservation time. We caught the friendship back to WL. But we wound up being stuck on the ship for over 20 mins, due to another ferry that went off course, or something like that. This is when DS started to melt down. I don't blame him-it was hot and he was tired from the long day. He was such a trooper! Finally we got off the ship and went to WCC. We were seated immediately after the hostess played a little fun trick on us, and met our server. We had been here before so we knew the drill. We ordered our food and as DS started becoming fidgety, our server brought out our food way before the table next to us got theirs, and they were there way before us. That was really nice of her. She was wonderful, tending to DS and talking to him and encouraging him to make a mess :). So as DS started to really melt down, we decided to end dinner and call it a night.

We returned back to the room instead of going back to MK for EMH, probably the best choice. I gave DS a quick bath and put him in bed, where he and DH knocked out. I however, stayed up a bit longer to plan out the next day and pack any belongings we would need for our outing. Overall, this was one full, long, crazy day but I was so happy we got here! And DS, besides him melting, he seemed happy also, which is always great to see. Can't wait to wake up to another fun day tomorrow!

Kathy Jetson
07-05-2009, 03:51 AM
I enjoyed reading it very much:mickey:

dinahvixen
07-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Keep it coming! I am very interested in your trip report since in September we'll be taking our then 18 month old...

BluewaterBrad
07-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks for sharing!:mickey:

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
07-05-2009, 02:24 PM
What a fun impromptu trip! I am looking forward to hearing more!

faline
07-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Sounds like your son handled the long day and the travel quite well! Thanks for taking the time to report. I'm looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip!

Bethis26fan
07-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Thanks for sharing

vizsla
07-06-2009, 05:30 AM
Thanks for the report.

artyboy
07-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks for posting!

Belster
07-06-2009, 10:09 PM
You guys sound a lot like us...we pack a lot into our days. The kids will conform to your sch,edule it is really amazing.

Can't wait to hear the rest!!!

Pooshu11
07-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Exactly Belster! You gotta have everything just in case you know? And we are so lucky our son is so adapatable to any environment. He was such a trooper the entire trip. Glad you enjoyed this report and I hope you enjoy the rest to come.

DizNee143
07-07-2009, 12:03 PM
sounds like a great travel day and first day in the parks..very busy!!! cant wait to read more..:mickey:

yjgirl32
07-08-2009, 08:41 AM
A great first start- well except for the meltdowns- which will always happen. My DS6 still has the occasional meltdown. Can't wait to read more. Thanks for sharing.

January-2007
07-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks for reporting! :mickey:

pdrlkr
07-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

brian2000boston
07-20-2009, 09:34 PM
sounds like a great start