PDA

View Full Version : Special Needs Children - Air Travel

shellyb627
07-04-2009, 08:19 PM
One of our son's major environmental comforts is a CD or DVD player, or any type of "personal electronic" equipment, that supposedly interferes with aircraft radar, and must be shut off during take off and landing. Unfortunately, these are usually the most tense times for him, and without these comforts, he is very likely to tantrum quite loudly. Does anyone know of any type of "toy" or device that is similar to these that is acceptable on an airplane?

Strmchsr
07-04-2009, 09:03 PM
The general problem with DVD and CD players on airplanes during takeoff and landing is not that it interferes with the airplane (that's cell phones). The issue is having anything out that could slide around and hit someone should the plane have an issue of any sort (and those are most common during take off and landing). Now I use my Ipod during take-off and landing. It's very slim and fits in my pocket so it's no big deal to use during those times. You might look into an Ipod (or other Mp3 player) that is very small like that. You can get some small generic brands pretty cheaply and that should be acceptable for your DS to use during those tense times.

iluvdizney2
07-04-2009, 10:49 PM
been there and done this bought the T shirt and have the answer too!....
we have an ipod shuffle, with a jogging wrist strap. We attach it to his wrist, and turn it on, with head phones. there is no chance of it falling during take off or landing, and my guy is so much happier. Also it is great during park hours. He doesnt remove the strap, so therefore we dont drop or leave behind our security object.
I got the strap at best buy for 9.99 and the little ipod was 39.99. you can put on any songs he wants. this has been a LIFE SAVER!
best of luck!!!

peemagg
07-09-2009, 09:57 PM
If you fly on Airtran they have complimentary Sirius radio. That would solve the issue for you.

teambricker04
07-10-2009, 03:52 PM
If you fly on Airtran they have complimentary Sirius radio. That would solve the issue for you.

Actually, don't most airlines have their own radio? United does, and doesn't SW? They generally have a kids station as well.

DisneyAndRedSox
07-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Have you booked air yet? Jet Blue has TV's that I think are on during take off and landing

VWL Mom
07-15-2009, 02:21 PM
You may want to check with the individual airline. We just flew Delta to and from Atlanta and ipods had to be turned of on take-off and landing. They did have their own radio on though so my son just hooked his earphones up to that.

Seasonscraps
07-16-2009, 02:34 AM
You may want to check with the individual airline. We just flew Delta to and from Atlanta and ipods had to be turned of on take-off and landing. They did have their own radio on though so my son just hooked his earphones up to that.

I don't think it's the airline's rules but the FAA. I was on a flight recently and a passenger wouldn't turn off an electronic device until the stewardess explained that the FAA requires anything with an on/off switch must be switched off during take offs and landings.

thrillme
07-16-2009, 03:54 PM
I don't think they interfer with signals so much so that they could become dangerous flying objects during turbulance or problems during take off. I figure it's a little rough and they could get damaged. however....I don't see anyone telling any body to cut things off like an "Ipod" as long as it's not protuding past the ears.

BrerGnat
07-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Yes, I was on a flight recently and they said that ALL electronic devices (INCLUDING Ipods, Blackberries, Cell Phones, etc.) needed to be "Powered Down" during takeoff and landing.

It's NOT an issue of things sliding around. It's an electrical power issue.

The captain as WELL as all the flight attendants, REPEATEDLY said "if it has an On/Off switch, it needs to be powered "off".

OP: I would work on finding a comfort object for your son for takeoff and landing. Does he have a favorite toy/stuffed animal from home? A favorite type of candy? Or, can you maybe substitute an electronic toy with a travel toy that is NON electronic? Maybe a small travel game or puzzle? Magna doodle? Etch a Sketch? Something that will keep his hands and mind busy, but that doesn't have too many parts that can be dropped? Another great idea I've heard is to get a roll of masking tape and let the kids go at it. Let him stick it on the window/wall, seat back tray, arm rests, etc. It's easy to peel off and doesn't leave marks. It will keep him occupied for those first 10 min or so, and then you can clean it up and give him his electronics. :D

It'sWDW4me
07-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Yes, I was on a flight recently and they said that ALL electronic devices (INCLUDING Ipods, Blackberries, Cell Phones, etc.) needed to be "Powered Down" during takeoff and landing.

It's NOT an issue of things sliding around. It's an electrical power issue.

The captain as WELL as all the flight attendants, REPEATEDLY said "if it has an On/Off switch, it needs to be powered "off".

Now this confuses me. I can understand the cell phone or internet needing to be powered down as these things are emitting/receiving outside signal which could very well interfere with pilot/tower transmissions. No problem with turning those off.

However, if I have a battery powered IPod or gameboy (excluding the new Nintendo DSi) or other whatsit... it's not plugged into the plane's electrical system nor is it transmitting/receiving any signals other than through my earphones/earbuds. How, exactly, would that create an "electrical power issue"? :confused:

Just curious.

BrerGnat
07-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Now this confuses me. I can understand the cell phone or internet needing to be powered down as these things are emitting/receiving outside signal which could very well interfere with pilot/tower transmissions. No problem with turning those off.

However, if I have a battery powered IPod or gameboy (excluding the new Nintendo DSi) or other whatsit... it's not plugged into the plane's electrical system nor is it transmitting/receiving any signals other than through my earphones/earbuds. How, exactly, would that create an "electrical power issue"? :confused:

Just curious.

ANYTHING that uses a power supply (batteries) emits electronic radio waves. Those can interfere with the signals emitted from the plane's electronic systems. Admittedly, the Mythbusters did an episode based on this, and found that the amount of electromagnetism and radio waves emitted from "personal electronic devices" was basicaly nil (i.e. not enough to hamper communication between the plane and control towers), the issue is that MANY people using devices at the same time, and NOT knowing WHO is using WHAT, and whether SOME people may try to check that one last email from their cell phone/blackberry...well, you can see how the FAA would just rather issue a blanket policy banning ALL personal electronics during takeoff and landing (when the plane is communicating with the control tower the most).

It'sWDW4me
07-22-2009, 04:18 PM
ANYTHING that uses a power supply (batteries) emits electronic radio waves. Those can interfere with the signals emitted from the plane's electronic systems. Admittedly, the Mythbusters did an episode based on this, and found that the amount of electromagnetism and radio waves emitted from "personal electronic devices" was basicaly nil (i.e. not enough to hamper communication between the plane and control towers), the issue is that MANY people using devices at the same time, and NOT knowing WHO is using WHAT, and whether SOME people may try to check that one last email from their cell phone/blackberry...well, you can see how the FAA would just rather issue a blanket policy banning ALL personal electronics during takeoff and landing (when the plane is communicating with the control tower the most).

Definitely wouldn't want to hamper communications during take-off or landing. I've had a few anxious moments during those times, myself. :mickey:

BUT - to the OP - As the mom of an ADHD son who had little to no patience/tolerance and the aunt of an autistic nephew whose screeches could make ears bleed:

1 - I would take PP suggestions of booking with a carrier that provides in-plane radio and/or tv

2 - If #1 is not possible, I would probably take the ipod (arm strap sounds perfect) or CD player with an earphone cord long enough to reach from the pocket of the seat in front of you to your DS. I would also have some sort of note from my son's doctor handy. If a stewardess insists that it be turned off (as would be her job, understandably), I would then hand her the note and explain that the alternative could be an extremely loud, high-pitched tantrum which could very well push other already-stressed passengers over the edge.

BrerGnat
07-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Listen, my son has Autism. We took him on his first plane ride in April and I stressed about it SO much. We brought everything we could think of to entertain him (and the flight was only ONE HOUR). ;) He ended up being the most well behaved, QUIET child I have ever seen on any flight, period. He sat there, held his "doggie" (a huge stuffed Patrick the Pup from FAO Schwarz) and looked out the window the WHOLE time. He was 4.5 years old at the time...

At home, he NEVER sits still, even for a second. He can scream so high pitched that I swear one day he is going to shatter our windows. He had a tantrum in the airport bathroom that lasted 20 minutes, because the auto flush on the toilet "flushed" before he could finish "going". ;) Silly me forgot the post it notes for the airport...

We fully disclosed his condition to everyone and their mothers at the airport. We warned the flight crew (we were on Southwest). We sat in the last row, so if he threw down, at least we'd not disturb the WHOLE plane.

He was, as mentioned, an angel. I barely knew he was sitting behind me next to my DH...

However, OP, you seem to know what already bothers your son about plane rides. A note from your doctor won't get you out of FAA regulations regarding personal electronics, BUT you should fully disclose his conditions and any special needs he has with the flight crew, both before hand at the airport and once you board the plane, so that IF he does get antsy/meltdown, you won't be targeted in a negative way.

Mickey'sGirl
07-23-2009, 03:05 PM
Our youngest DS is a HORRIBLE flyer -- actually he's a horrible lander and wear a seatbelter (and is also autistic -- but so is his brother and he has never had an issue flying). We have had two flying holidays since April, and we were not allowed to use ANY electronic devices during ascent or descent on either airline, coming or going. In fact, we also had to secure his sweater behind my back. I honestly think the issue is with having the stuff flying around the cabin...and they don't want to have to evaluate the safety harnessing of the electronics as well as the passengers, so there is a blanket "NO" policy in place.

That said, even though there was no sound, the inflight entertainment provided a visual stimulant for him, and it was a much easier flight with this kind of distraction.

Perhaps you could make your airline choice based upon what kind of aircraft and inflight systems they use?

momofdisneyprincess
07-24-2009, 09:17 AM
Although I have never flown them, I know Jet Blue has the t.v.'s in each seat so that may help. I have a friend with children who will only fly Jet Blue because of that. I'm not sure if they have them on during takeoff and landings though. I know they do get kids channels so this may be a big help for you. Good luck!