PDA

View Full Version : Former NFL quarterback McNair found dead

Hammer
07-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Saturday, July 4, 2009
Report: McNair found dead

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Former Tennessee Titans quarterback Steve McNair has been killed, a source has confirmed to ESPN.com.

McNair, police said, suffered a fatal gunshot wound to the head in downtown Nashville. A female victim was also found dead, police spokesperson Don Aaron said. Aaron said the woman has not been identified, pending notification of next of kin.

The incident happened near 2nd South & Lea Ave in Nashville.

McNair played 13 seasons in the NFL, 11 were with the Titans. He played his final two years with the Baltimore Ravens, retiring after the 2007 season.

McNair was picked third overall in the 1995 draft out of Alcorn State by the then Houston Oilers.

VWL Mom
07-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Sad day for Titan's fans. He was a fav of DS!7.

JPL
07-04-2009, 05:36 PM
I was just coming on to report this but Christine beat me to it.

Very sad news :(

Andys5Toys
07-04-2009, 05:56 PM
I just read that. What a horrible story.

DizneyFreak2002
07-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Not a time to be a celebrity...

R.I.P. McNair...

medic9016
07-04-2009, 06:21 PM
This is the last update.

Former NFL quarterback McNair killed in Tennessee
By KRISTIN M. HALL, Associated Press Writer
38 minutes ago

AP - Jul 4, 5:28 pm EDT NFL Gallery NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP)—Former NFL quarterback Steve McNair(notes) has been shot and killed.

Nashville police spokesman Don Aaron confirmed that police were called to a residence and found McNair and a woman shot to death inside. Aaron said authorities don’t yet know the circumstances of the shooting.

“I don’t have any answers for you now as to what’s happened, who’s responsible,” he said.

Aaron said police have tentatively identified the woman but did not release her name.

McNair played 13 seasons in the NFL and led the Titans within a yard of forcing overtime in the 2000 Super Bowl. The former third overall draft pick also played for the Baltimore Ravens before retiring after the 2007 season.

“He was one of the finest players to play for our organization and one of the most beloved players by our fans,” Titans owner Bud Adams said in a statement. “He played with unquestioned heart and leadership and led us to places that we had never reached, including our only Super Bowl.”

TennesseeTink
07-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Completely in shock:(

He was not only our long-time quarterback but was very active in the community. He worked with several charities over the years and had just opened a restaurant in North Nashville last week.

He will be missed. RIP

RedSoxFan
07-04-2009, 09:12 PM
What a tragedy. Very sad.:(

Ian
07-05-2009, 07:36 AM
Very sad ... reminds me a little of the whole Sean Taylor thing.

And that makes 6 ... McMahon, Fawcet, Jackson, Mays, Malden, and McNair ... they say these things always happen in 3's.

Ian
07-05-2009, 10:08 AM
This is sounding more and more like some love triangle, murder/suicide kind of thing.

Stories are leaking out now that the woman was found with a gunshot wound to the head and a pistol in the floor nearby. Allegedly, the woman was McNair's girlfriend (he's also married).

Honestly ... and obviously all the facts aren't in yet so I could be jumping the gun ... but this sounds like yet another professional athlete's life cut needlessly short due to bad lifestyle choices.

kakn7294
07-05-2009, 10:48 AM
You know Ian, I hope you're wrong and it wasn't another case of a poor lifestyle choice but the evidence certainly supports that theory now. What a tragic loss for his family.

Hammer
07-05-2009, 10:53 AM
This is sounding more and more like some love triangle, murder/suicide kind of thing.

Stories are leaking out now that the woman was found with a gunshot wound to the head and a pistol in the floor nearby. Allegedly, the woman was McNair's girlfriend (he's also married).

Honestly ... and obviously all the facts aren't in yet so I could be jumping the gun ... but this sounds like yet another professional athlete's life cut needlessly short due to bad lifestyle choices.

Don't have to be a professional athlete to make that bad lifestyle choice. I think statistics show that 50-60% will cheat on their spouses? Though it is true that percentage of pro athletes who are unfaithful is much higher than that. A friend of mine was a TV producer for the Red Sox for many years (now works for Fox) and he said you could count on one hand and have fingers to spare the players who did not cheat on their wives.

Which does make this different than the Sean Taylor murder, as that was a home invasion and he was defending his family against an intruder when he died.

TennesseeTink
07-05-2009, 11:32 AM
From what I've heard locally, McNair and his wife were in the middle of a divorce. In fact, a local sports radio personalilty said they were at the point where they were dividing property. With that being said, I've heard for years that there were girlfriends.

I'm sure his wife is devastated regardless of their current status. The whole thing just seems so senseless.

pandkx3
07-05-2009, 11:53 AM
My prayers are with his family. How sad and tragic. He did alot with my son's football team and really involved with the kids. He will be greatly missed.

BelleLovesTheBeast
07-05-2009, 12:18 PM

This is what the news was reporting late last night... most likely a homicide/suicide.

He was found with multiple gunshot wounds including one to the head. They found her with one gunshot wound to the head and the gun was near her.

Ian
07-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Actually, the stories I'm reading today are saying the gun was actually underneath her body.

Ruling out any kind of really farfetched conspiracy theories, that seems to pretty much nail down that it was a murder/suicide.

Greenlawler
07-08-2009, 10:41 PM
I am not really sure how to react to this. I have been a Titans fan since day one. Not just a fan but a diehard.
I met Steve McNair on numerous occasions. He was easily one of the nicest players I have run across. I have pictures of him holding my sons. I have a statue of him in my office at work.
However in my profession I council with kids who have been hurt due to affairs of thier parents.
Its really a tough situation as much as I loved the man, the player, I hate the actions. So that is where I stand. He made a mistake or mistakes....I can dislike that all I want but I still love and respect the man.

The Nashillve Police Dept. reported today that McNair was shot while sleeping, four times. The female then sat next to him and shot herself. The gun ended up under her body. The ex has been ruled out.

tjstrike
07-14-2009, 04:58 AM
R.I.P Steve. He was a great QB. I hated to see him leave.

mouseneer
07-19-2009, 04:22 AM
The website LiveLeak has the video from the policecar's dash-cam the day his girlfriend was arrested for DUI. McNair's in it too, and he was not happy !:(