PDA

View Full Version : The Yeti: FIXED AT LAST!!

DizneyFreak2002
07-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Reports trickling in say the Yeti is now in A Mode, well, a new A mode... He doesn't swing down at you like he used to do... Now, his arm just kind of swoops, which should reduce the stress he was causing prior to being put in B mode... I can only say one thing to this:

GOOD JOB ATTARCTIONS MAINTENANCE DEPARTMENT!!!!

JPL
07-03-2009, 06:59 PM
He wasn't working about a week ago when I was there a little over a week ago so this must be a brand new development. I just hope it's not some new B Mode effects that tricked the people reporting it.

DizneyFreak2002
07-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Supposedly started running within the last 2 or 3 days...

Dsnygirl
07-03-2009, 08:10 PM
I hope it works well & lasts... we were disappointed that we barely saw him in December!! :thumbsup:

GrumpyFan
07-03-2009, 09:52 PM
So, should we call this "C" mode? Or, maybe "a" (lowercase) mode, or "A2"? Regardless, it sounds encouraging.

DizneyFreak2002
07-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Appears that work is still being done on Yeti, so there may be times he runs in A mode and other in B mode, until all the kinks are worked out... But, yes, this is encouraging news...

BluewaterBrad
07-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Great news!:mickey:

DisneyAggies
07-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Encouraging news!! YAAAY for the Yeti!!

WDWdriver
07-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Reports trickling in say the Yeti is now in A Mode, well, a new A mode...

The reports are mostly incorrect. Some minor movement is possible, but the Yeti remains primarily in B mode while repair plans are coordinated and parts are delivered. Watch for an announcement from Disney in about two months regarding the partial restoration of the Yeti's motion.

TikiLounger
07-06-2009, 05:56 PM
I just hope they don't shut EE down for a Yeti refurb in late Sept/early Oct or just after New Year's. I would love to see him back in action...just please...fix him BEFORE our trip...not during!:thumbsup:

TheRustyScupper
07-06-2009, 06:18 PM
1) Calling the Yeti "fixed" is a misnomer.
2) There is an alternate activation of the arm.
3) It is still not operating close to the original method.
4) It is cheaply done, but at least something is working.

Aurora
07-06-2009, 06:33 PM
I'd love to see him in "A" mode but I guess I was too :sick: to notice whether he was moving or not on the one and only time I rode.

DizneyFreak2002
07-06-2009, 08:50 PM
The reports are mostly incorrect. Some minor movement is possible, but the Yeti remains primarily in B mode while repair plans are coordinated and parts are delivered. Watch for an announcement from Disney in about two months regarding the partial restoration of the Yeti's motion.

Man.. I knew it was too good to be true.. Can't wait to hear the announcements though... Sounds encouraging at least...

mcjaco
07-08-2009, 05:04 PM
I can only say one thing to this:

GOOD JOB ATTARCTIONS MAINTENANCE DEPARTMENT!!!!

Really????? After more than a year?

GrumpyFan
07-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Really????? After more than a year?

C'mon now, no bashing maintenance. Those guys work hard and with limited resources, time and money. For them to have done anything with it, should be congratulated! After all, the blame for the issue in the first place lies on Imagineering, and should be charged back to them to fix.

mcjaco
07-09-2009, 11:34 AM
I'm sorry but no one (maintenance or Imagineering) should get a pat on the back after more than a year of Yeti being down.

That's pathetic.

Imagineer1981
07-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Ok, so blame Imagineering, blame Maitenance, but in the end, ask yourself this...."if you didn't know he was supposed to move, would you be upset?"

Yes he is in "b" mode which we know, but 90% of the guests who come to the parks have no clue what that is or means. All they know is they are riding an awesome roller coaster and right at the end a giant Yeti was there, and looked like he was moving. There are tons of people who miss the yeti at the end also. SO yes "b" mode is lame, and yes we want "A" mode to work, but at the end of the day the average guest still has an amazing experience and that justifys the delay

GothMickey
07-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Ok, so blame Imagineering, blame Maitenance, but in the end, ask yourself this...."if you didn't know he was supposed to move, would you be upset?"

Yes he is in "b" mode which we know, but 90% of the guests who come to the parks have no clue what that is or means. All they know is they are riding an awesome roller coaster and right at the end a giant Yeti was there, and looked like he was moving. There are tons of people who miss the yeti at the end also. SO yes "b" mode is lame, and yes we want "A" mode to work, but at the end of the day the average guest still has an amazing experience and that justifys the delay

This posts describes what is wrong with the management team in Orlando. They have this attitude. Disney has never been about mediocre. They were always above and beyond. So what that the typical guest wouldn't care. That is not the point. Disney has always set the bar higher than anyone else. Now we have to accept them being lazy? Cheap? In a coma? This is the defender of medicority attitude that is sweeping across WDW meanwhile Universal is creating a huge Harry Potter area with a major e-ticket ride along with a new e-ticket roller coaster.

I have no issue with Disney taking a while to get the yeti working again, as long as they do it right. And it appears they are working on him, which is a good thing. However, it should be expected that they would fix it. Putting it in b mode making him Disco Yeti is a cheap, quick fix cause "we won't spend no money cause our guests are dumb, they don't know any better." Guess what. THEY DO. Especially since Disney made a huge stink about this particular EE, showing it thousands of times on Travel Channel, making a website dedicated to yeti and EE, and bragging how the yeti swoops his arm at the train. Disney set the bar. They could keep up with the same level.

JPL
07-14-2009, 07:31 PM

Really this justifies delay :confused: The main show element that was hyped for over a year and is the main focus of the attraction is broken and the hopes that most guests don't notice is justification? I think you are looking at this in the wrong way. Disney should be attempting to give every guest their "A Mode" show not cheaping out with a quick "B Mode" fix on any attraction. Now don't get me wrong I understand that "B Mode" in order to keep an attraction open while problems are solved is definately needed but it is not meant to run in a "B Mode" for almost 2 years. I mean looking at the way you are with guests not noticing things they are also not getting the full WOW! factor of the ride or the parks in general. Instead they are saying yeah Everest was a cool ride but nothing special, I can ride better coasters at 6 Flags. The story is everything on a ride like Everest, the entire experience is building up to your encounter with the fearsome Yeti. Sorry a statue with strobe lights isn't really that impressive. People are missing the Yeti more now in B Mode than they would in A Mode becaus ethere is no forward motion of the AA. The Motion automatically draws your eyes to it.

I agree with GothMickey your post shows exactly why the quality of the parks in general has been on the decline for years. I go ino the cutbacks but really not worth it. Just think about this what if all the Pirates on POTC stopped moving and they added some strobe lights to the ride would it be just as good? Nop-e and they know it! They shutdown the entire attraction if certain figures aren't functioning the main being the auctioneer. They will not open the ride and keep it closed until he is functioning properly. Why should Everest be any different?

rmsongs
07-14-2009, 08:43 PM
I found this thread very interesting. I have to say that, after being somewhat disappointed in some aspects of a trip in November (things that would never have occured in the past), it would appear that Disney does seem to be accepting mediocrity in some areas. You don't have to go back too many years to a time when this would NEVER have been considered acceptable. I guess it's just a sign of the times that even Disney isn't always Disney-like any more. It's too bad.

DizneyFreak2002
07-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Goth, I am coining the new phrase for Intercot: DEFENDERS OF MEDIOCRITY lol..

Anyway, those managers who believe in mediocrity and that the guests are idiots and won't know the difference in the theme parks are starting to be demoted (Animal Kingdom's VP anyone???)... Change is coming.. May be a little slow moving, but, it is coming... Thank corporate for this... Kudos cannot go to Meg, Phil, Al and Rasulo.. The 4 Horsemen of the WDW Apocalypse...

GothMickey
07-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Goth, I am coining the new phrase for Intercot: DEFENDERS OF MEDIOCRITY lol..

Be my guest. Afterall, I didn't make it up. LOL.

Imagineer1981
07-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Really this justifies delay :confused: The main show element that was hyped for over a year and is the main focus of the attraction is broken and the hopes that most guests don't notice is justification? I think you are looking at this in the wrong way. Disney should be attempting to give every guest their "A Mode" show not cheaping out with a quick "B Mode" fix on any attraction. Now don't get me wrong I understand that "B Mode" in order to keep an attraction open while problems are solved is definately needed but it is not meant to run in a "B Mode" for almost 2 years. I mean looking at the way you are with guests not noticing things they are also not getting the full WOW! factor of the ride or the parks in general. Instead they are saying yeah Everest was a cool ride but nothing special, I can ride better coasters at 6 Flags. The story is everything on a ride like Everest, the entire experience is building up to your encounter with the fearsome Yeti. Sorry a statue with strobe lights isn't really that impressive. People are missing the Yeti more now in B Mode than they would in A Mode becaus ethere is no forward motion of the AA. The Motion automatically draws your eyes to it.

I agree with GothMickey your post shows exactly why the quality of the parks in general has been on the decline for years. I go ino the cutbacks but really not worth it. Just think about this what if all the Pirates on POTC stopped moving and they added some strobe lights to the ride would it be just as good? Nop-e and they know it! They shutdown the entire attraction if certain figures aren't functioning the main being the auctioneer. They will not open the ride and keep it closed until he is functioning properly. Why should Everest be any different?

I am not at all agreeing with the decision, just trying to give a possible perspective. I also think the should try for A mode all the time. I love Disney so much I get mad when I see gum on IASW

Lizzy
07-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Ok, I've been gone from Intercot for a couple years, and haven't been to AK in just as many so someone please help my ignorance.

What is "B" mode? Please describe the difrences than when the ride first opened (because that is the last time I was on it)

If "B" mode is that bad I do hope they get it back to "A" as soon as possible. That used to be one of the things that I appreciated about Disney World in general (compared to going to other Orlando theme parks which are just as close for me) is that nothing stayed broken for very long. It was fixed that day if not by the next morning when the park opened. It's sad to see my favorite place in the world with declining standards.

GrumpyFan
07-15-2009, 03:19 PM
The original "A" mode was with the Yeti moving and reaching out to grab at the passing trains. Apparently, more than a year ago, it was discovered, that the foundation on which the Yeti was placed on was being stressed in some way by the Yeti's normal movements. So, the operations/maintenance crew at AK devised a new mode ("B"), where the Yeti would be positioned into a menacing pose, then strobe lights would be used to give the impression of movement and it would not cause any more damage to the foundation.

DisneyFanaticDargon
07-16-2009, 09:13 AM
The original "A" mode was with the Yeti moving and reaching out to grab at the passing trains. Apparently, more than a year ago, it was discovered, that the foundation on which the Yeti was placed on was being stressed in some way by the Yeti's normal movements. So, the operations/maintenance crew at AK devised a new mode ("B"), where the Yeti would be positioned into a menacing pose, then strobe lights would be used to give the impression of movement and it would not cause any more damage to the foundation.

Aren't these people supposed to have mechanical engineering degrees and have the ability to foresee this kind of stuff? I'd expect this kind of shoddy work from Airbus, not Disney.

nicster
07-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Didn't know it was broke! I keep my eyes closed the whole time!! :covered:

Lizzy
07-16-2009, 10:40 AM

Wow :shake:

Thanks for explaining it to me! The whole point of the ride is being "attacked" by the yeti, not a statue! Disney used to be the kings of making you experience things as if they were really happening. EE is not a Carnival Funhouse! I hope they figure out a solution soon to get the Yeti actually moving again.

WDWdriver
07-16-2009, 11:02 AM
The "mediocrity" charge is easy to make when viewing the EE situation from a distance. Up close, I'm not seeing any justification for such a label. Everyone associated with the attraction is eager to return the yeti to operation, from the CMs running the ride, to the AK attractions managers, to WDW senior executives, to Joe Rhode and his Imagineering staff.

It might be helpful to re-state the enormity of the problem. The yeti is the largest theme park animatronic figure in the world, standing 22 feet tall and weighing more than 20,000 pounds. It stands on a foundation deep within the mountain, and was created as an integral part of an extremely complex construction project. Did you know that no part of the ride system comes in contact with any part of the mountain? And nowhere does the yeti structure come in contact with either the mountain or the ride. The three components had to be carefully integrated during the construction process.

Yes, the yeti has not been fully operational for a considerable time. There are problems with the foundation and with internal components of the yeti itself. Blame whoever you want to for that. But one can't find yeti replacement parts at Home Depot, and you can't just drive a crane up to the mountain and pluck the yeti out for repairs. Fixing the problem will be nearly as complex as the original construction.

Having said all that, I can reveal that a repair plan is in the works. The attraction will be closed for three days in October. After that the yeti will again be in motion. The arm will swipe at passing trains as before, but the upper body will not lean out as far as it did previously. This will avoid further stress and damage to the foundation, but will still provide a realistic encounter with an "A mode" yeti.

GrumpyFan
07-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Aren't these people supposed to have mechanical engineering degrees and have the ability to foresee this kind of stuff? I'd expect this kind of shoddy work from Airbus, not Disney.

It's easy to armchair engineer and criticize, when you don't know all the facts. I don't have a degree in engineering, but from what I've seen and read, these kind of things happen sometimes and simply can't be avoided. I am a software developer, and I've learned that sometimes even the best and most thorough testing doesn't foresee every possible scenario that can arise in the real world. I would imagine they ran every possible test and computer model they had at the time, but it's quite possible that something changed that they didn't anticipate after they installed the Yeti.

Everest was/is a complex project, and with that complexity came new challenges that have never been dealt with. If it can be fixed, I'm sure they will try, if not, then it may just have to wait until a major refurb takes place. Based on some of the reports I've read, the full repair would require partial de-construction of the mountain, which would be quite costly and very time consuming. From the sound of things, they're making an attempt to make some sort of repair that will bring him back in a limited fashion without de-constructing the mountain. I applaud their efforts and hope that they're successful, otherwise, it could mean the end of EE. I know that sounds drastic, and I don't really see it happening, but it has happened before with a Disney attraction, if you're not familiar with it, look up the history of Disneyland's ill-fated Rocket Rods. Another was with WDWs 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. There were reports that the tank that the subs were in was in major dis-repair and would've needed lots of work to repair and this was at least part of the reason why the attraction was removed and the land filled in.

Lizzy
07-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the info Ron! I hope that all is well for it in October because I am taking my son in November and it is one of his favorite rides!

disneyorvegas
07-16-2009, 12:55 PM
It's easy to armchair engineer and criticize, when you don't know all the facts. I don't have a degree in engineering, but from what I've seen and read, these kind of things happen sometimes and simply can't be avoided. I am a software developer, and I've learned that sometimes even the best and most thorough testing doesn't foresee every possible scenario that can arise in the real world. I would imagine they ran every possible test and computer model they had at the time, but it's quite possible that something changed that they didn't anticipate after they installed the Yeti.

Everest was/is a complex project, and with that complexity came new challenges that have never been dealt with. If it can be fixed, I'm sure they will try, if not, then it may just have to wait until a major refurb takes place. Based on some of the reports I've read, the full repair would require partial de-construction of the mountain, which would be quite costly and very time consuming. From the sound of things, they're making an attempt to make some sort of repair that will bring him back in a limited fashion without de-constructing the mountain. I applaud their efforts and hope that they're successful, otherwise, it could mean the end of EE. I know that sounds drastic, and I don't really see it happening, but it has happened before with a Disney attraction, if you're not familiar with it, look up the history of Disneyland's ill-fated Rocket Rods. Another was with WDWs 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. There were reports that the tank that the subs were in was in major dis-repair and would've needed lots of work to repair and this was at least part of the reason why the attraction was removed and the land filled in.

I know things like this are extremely challenging, everybody realizes that, but I am not for one second buying the "these kind of things happen". You're talking about developing a ride with a huge animatronic figure that could imperil the public were it not to function properly. You're talking about a significant design flaw. Animatronics move, duh, yet they couldn't anticipate the stress associated with that movement?? That doesn't bode well for the people passing underneath it. If that's the way this was designed, and missed, then you know what, shore up the foundation and leave it in B Mode so as not to reintroduce a risk that should have been foreseen.

GrumpyFan
07-16-2009, 01:06 PM
I know things like this are extremely challenging, everybody realizes that, but I am not for one second buying the "these kind of things happen". You're talking about developing a ride with a huge animatronic figure that could imperil the public were it not to function properly. You're talking about a significant design flaw.

I hate to sound like I'm trying to defend Disney or the Imagineers here, because, I really don't care. What bothers me in this, is people who have no idea what went wrong making assumptions based on very little factual information. You're making an assumption that it was a design flaw, when you don't really know that for fact. It could've been caused by any number of things from a bad mix of concrete, to rebar that failed, to the ground shifting, who knows what else. The point is, very few of us here do know, or would probably understand (myself included), but I'm not going to be so quick to say, "they should've caught this and/or fixed it long ago", because I can admit, I don't have a clue what caused the failure, nor what's required to fix it and prevent it from re-occuring or stressing it to the point of catastrophic failure. I'm just hoping they can and will be able to fix it. And, I'm glad they haven't had to close it for an extended period of time to do so.

disneyorvegas
07-16-2009, 01:58 PM
I hate to sound like I'm trying to defend Disney or the Imagineers here, because, I really don't care. What bothers me in this, is people who have no idea what went wrong making assumptions based on very little factual information. You're making an assumption that it was a design flaw, when you don't really know that for fact. It could've been caused by any number of things from a bad mix of concrete, to rebar that failed, to the ground shifting, who knows what else. The point is, very few of us here do know, or would probably understand (myself included), but I'm not going to be so quick to say, "they should've caught this and/or fixed it long ago", because I can admit, I don't have a clue what caused the failure, nor what's required to fix it and prevent it from re-occuring or stressing it to the point of catastrophic failure. I'm just hoping they can and will be able to fix it. And, I'm glad they haven't had to close it for an extended period of time to do so.

I understand where you're coming from, but this is too big for granting Disney the benefit of the doubt. I can guarantee you 99.9% that this does not involve bad concrete or rebar or anything like that, if it did the ride would have to be shut down, no questions asked. That would require a major outside investigation (see: Boston's Big Dig for example). I'll grant them the benefit of the doubt that they dealt with reputable contractors and standard concrete testing occured before it was poured and the rebar was scanned, etc. If it's ground shifting, then it reverts to a design flaw. Anything that heavy should be on a foundation driven deep into the ground and/or to bedrock and definitely designed to withstand ground shifting. IMO it's a design flaw, they did not design for the stressors involved on the foundation or the equipment AND they apparently did not plan the mtn. for the potential neccesity of a big fix. So now they're either hoping they can leave it as is (and people will almost literally look the other way) or they're having an enormously difficult (bordering on impossible) time designing a fix. Of course we would know the problem if only Disney would tell us, but I guess it's always better to keep the masses uninformed. :secret:

WDWdriver
07-16-2009, 08:59 PM
...Anything that heavy should be on a foundation driven deep into the ground and/or to bedrock and definitely designed to withstand ground shifting.

Not to complicate the issue or anything, but most of Florida doesn't have bedrock. And if you dig too deeply through the limestone you are going to hit water.

Maybe that's part of the problem. :D

DisneyFanaticDargon
07-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Not to complicate the issue or anything, but most of Florida doesn't have bedrock. And if you dig too deeply through the limestone you are going to hit water.

If that's the case though, then it's not like they just started construction in Florida 2 years ago. They've been working there for some time and should know what they can and cannot do in terms of excavation.

If laying the foundation for the animatronic required deeper drilling than they were capable of going because of the high water table, then it should stand to reason that they SHOULDN'T have built a 20,000 pound animatronic on a shallower foundation merely because they couldn't lay it any deeper.

disneyorvegas
07-17-2009, 02:47 PM

I thought about that, however, that area was chosen by Walt for a reason and it's possible that it does have foundation friendly ground, especially considering all the construction that was planned for that area. Barring that, they would have likely used the weight of the mountain itself to act as a foundation/stabilizer for the Yeti. They could have spread a large pad and used that for stabilization. I'm sure it's foundation is stable, in fact perhaps that's what developed as the problem, it was so stable that the Yeti did not have a requisite amount of movement available to do what it was required to do and that is why is became inoperable. If you build a bridge you have to figure in sway, you can't make it completely rigid. At any rate, they have a huge problem, literally. At least now I know why at one time during the ride it was so dark you couldn't see anything and then the next time you were almost blinded by strobe lights! Very tricky Disney, good luck trying to fix it.

antngoof89
07-17-2009, 02:56 PM

I without a doubt agree with that. Disney has been building parks for a few decades and has parks all over the world. I'm sure Disney doesn't even know what caused this problem, hence why it's taking so long to come up with a fix, or perhaps they're waiting until a scheduled refurb of the ride. In due time we'll all learn what it was, until then, why guess?

GrumpyFan
07-17-2009, 03:12 PM
I'm sure Disney doesn't even know what caused this problem, hence why it's taking so long to come up with a fix, or perhaps they're waiting until a scheduled refurb of the ride. In due time we'll all learn what it was, until then, why guess?

I disagree. I would be willing to bet, they know what caused the problem. However, fixing it is a whole other issue. Because of the way the mountain is designed, they can't just pull the Yeti out, and then fix the problem.

If it's a foundation issue, I would venture to guess, that the mountain is okay because the weight is spread out over a large area. However, the Yeti, since it's on a separate foundation and resides independently within the mountain, is exerting a whole lot of force onto a much smaller foundation/pad, which may not have been engineered for such force. That's just a guess, but it seems reasonable.

WDWdriver
07-17-2009, 09:07 PM
I'm sure Disney doesn't even know what caused this problem, hence why it's taking so long to come up with a fix, or perhaps they're waiting until a scheduled refurb of the ride.

As stated earlier in this thread, the problems have been identified, and a repair plan is in place. The attraction will be closed for three days in October while the yeti is restored to "A mode" operation.

DizneyRox
07-17-2009, 09:26 PM
As stated earlier in this thread, the problems have been identified, and a repair plan is in place. The attraction will be closed for three days in October while the yeti is restored to "A mode" operation.
From the sounds of it, more like a "A- mode" :D

antngoof89
07-18-2009, 02:04 AM
I disagree. I would be willing to bet, they know what caused the problem. However, fixing it is a whole other issue. Because of the way the mountain is designed, they can't just pull the Yeti out, and then fix the problem.

If it's a foundation issue, I would venture to guess, that the mountain is okay because the weight is spread out over a large area. However, the Yeti, since it's on a separate foundation and resides independently within the mountain, is exerting a whole lot of force onto a much smaller foundation/pad, which may not have been engineered for such force. That's just a guess, but it seems reasonable.

Yes, that does seem reasonable. I was saying that they didn't know what happened AT ALL, I just think that if Disney knew EXACTLY what caused the problem with the Yeti in the first place that it would have been fixed.

antngoof89
07-18-2009, 02:05 AM

I now stand corrected, heh, didn't take the time to venture up the thread and see that post.

Jll3Sonex
07-22-2009, 03:45 PM
The original "A" mode was with the Yeti moving and reaching out to grab at the passing trains. Apparently, more than a year ago, it was discovered, that the foundation on which the Yeti was placed on was being stressed in some way by the Yeti's normal movements. So, the operations/maintenance crew at AK devised a new mode ("B"), where the Yeti would be positioned into a menacing pose, then strobe lights would be used to give the impression of movement and it would not cause any more damage to the foundation.Well, based on what I saw last week, they've cut most of the strobes to save on electricity. I saw some red glowing eyes, and a brief flash of the face - but didn't really get any sensation of movement and where the Yeti was didn't have any other illumination.

So what's that mode - C minus?

BTW, does AK feel cramped to anyone else? For some reason, all the roads and paths in that park feel almost claustrophobic to me... :confused:

DizneyRox
07-22-2009, 04:14 PM
BTW, does AK feel cramped to anyone else? For some reason, all the roads and paths in that park feel almost claustrophobic to me...
I think the landscaping is finally coming in the way it was intended. At first, AK was pretty sparsely planted and a lot of it was getting trampled as well. Seems it's finally growing in, and they might need to start pruning a little bit back.

What scares me is that it turns into that they did at MK by removing all the big trees at both ends of main street. That is/was a travesty!

antngoof89
07-22-2009, 04:20 PM
I think the landscaping is finally coming in the way it was intended. At first, AK was pretty sparsely planted and a lot of it was getting trampled as well. Seems it's finally growing in, and they might need to start pruning a little bit back.

What scares me is that it turns into that they did at MK by removing all the big trees at both ends of main street. That is/was a travesty!

I don't know about the paths being nicely done though. I was there less than a month ago and felt like everyone was pushed right up against each other on the path's. I don't know. Maybe that's just me, but it does feel cramped in AK.

Jll3Sonex
07-23-2009, 10:17 AM
I don't know about the paths being nicely done though. I was there less than a month ago and felt like everyone was pushed right up against each other on the path's. I don't know. Maybe that's just me, but it does feel cramped in AK.Yeah, that's the way I was feeling, like the paths simply weren't wide enough. Maybe if the volume of people were less, it'd be better - but as it was, I'm not terribly inclined to go back to AK.

BMan62
07-23-2009, 11:19 AM
I don't know about the paths being nicely done though. I was there less than a month ago and felt like everyone was pushed right up against each other on the path's. I don't know. Maybe that's just me, but it does feel cramped in AK.

I think that was how it was supposed to feel, as it is simulating paths through a rain forest.

JPL
07-23-2009, 11:26 AM
I think that was how it was supposed to feel, as it is simulating paths through a rain forest.

Exactly the paths are suppose to wander through the park and be narrow to add to the exploration feel of the park. All of this was carefully planned by the imagineers.

Jll3Sonex
07-23-2009, 10:39 PM
Exactly the paths are suppose to wander through the park and be narrow to add to the exploration feel of the park. All of this was carefully planned by the imagineers. Well, I'm sure it was a good idea in principle - and would likely work well when the park isn't crowded. Actually, when it's near-empty... :rolleyes:

(Yeah, like THAT'S a regular occurance during the course of the day. :noway:)

But when it IS crowded, as on a normal day - it's annoying. It doesn't add to the exporation feel at all, it feels like a constant rush hour. I don't like that. :shake:

Ah, well. Still got the other three parks, and all the wonders thereof! :mickey:

HallandNash
08-14-2009, 01:53 PM
I'm a big Disney fan and I usually take nitpicking with a grain of salt, but to design this massive attraction in a way that doesn't allow for repairs without significantly dismantling the mountain seems like a terrible decision/miscalculation. I mean did they really expect that nothing would ever go wrong with the Yeti?

Kind of a bummer as I haven't been in years and whenever we do make it back, it sounds like the Yeti might never be operating in his originally intended manner. :(

TheRustyScupper
08-14-2009, 03:46 PM
So, should we call this "C" mode? Or, maybe "a" (lowercase) mode, or "A2"?

1) How about "A-" or "B+".
2) Definitely not the original motions.

Mousemates
08-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Well, I'm sure it was a good idea in principle - and would likely work well when the park isn't crowded. Actually, when it's near-empty... :rolleyes:

But when it IS crowded, as on a normal day - it's annoying. It doesn't add to the exporation feel at all, it feels like a constant rush hour. I don't like that. :shake:

:ditto:

fupresti
08-19-2009, 05:15 PM
What days in October is it scheduled to be down?

wire0monkey
08-22-2009, 09:57 AM
You know, I honestly don't think taking the ride down for 3 days to do a repair on the Yeti figure counts as a major dismantling of the mountain.

I've had my car in the shop for longer than that, and it's not as complicated as an animatronic figure.

3 days to make the repair seems fast to me.

darthmacho
08-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Why don't they just remove the animatronic yeti and put two guys in a yeti costume to take its place?

Problem solved! :thumbsup:

:laughing: JK

TikiLounger
08-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Having said all that, I can reveal that a repair plan is in the works. The attraction will be closed for three days in October. After that the yeti will again be in motion. The arm will swipe at passing trains as before, but the upper body will not lean out as far as it did previously. This will avoid further stress and damage to the foundation, but will still provide a realistic encounter with an "A mode" yeti.

You don't happed to know WHICH three days in October, do you? I hope not the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th.

wdwfansince75
08-27-2009, 02:30 PM
Why don't they just remove the animatronic yeti and put two guys in a yeti costume to take its place?

Problem solved! :thumbsup:

:laughing: JK

And one of those guys could have a rifle, and give everyone a thumbs up to let us know that Little Red is okay!

Mrs Bus Driver
10-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Just came across the thread and was wondering if the Yeti is fixed? And how does it look? :mickey:

Mushu11756
10-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Sounds like progress! I wonder if they will ever get the Yeti back to full operation?:confused:

Maxwell
10-22-2009, 08:56 PM
I don't know how to feel about this. I mean..the ride is really cool without the Yeti, just in terms of thrill and g-force. But...without the Yeti, is it just another roller coaster?

GrumpyFan
10-26-2009, 11:11 AM
I rode EE last week (10/20), and he's still in B mode. In fact, I have to wonder if they've even turned off some of the strobes because he was barely visible.

Also, on this same day, our first attempt to ride ended in us being escorted out the line bypassing the station. Apparently someone was injured or had a medical condition, because we saw someone laying on the floor at the exit point in the station with several CMs attending to them. I never saw or heard EMS, and the ride re-opened a short while later. Hopefully the person is/was okay.

MushuGrl
10-26-2009, 11:45 AM
That explains why we couldn't see him when we rode in December! Barely saw him. Course at that point I was losing my mind at being stuck on the side of the mountain (BTW how often does that happen?) and was just ready to be done.

SpecJoe Magic
11-04-2009, 08:12 AM
And one of those guys could have a rifle, and give everyone a thumbs up to let us know that Little Red is okay!

Well played, sir/ma'am! :rotfl:

The thing that really puzzles me the most about all of this is why Disney went to the trouble of designing such an expensive and complex animatronic only to have the ride set up in such a way that the Yeti can only be seen for a brief moment. I get that there is a legend that the Yeti is supposed to be mysterious and rarely seen, but it almost seems like a waste to have it in a location where many guests probably don't even notice it. Of course, I suppose it's actually a benefit at the moment to have it not be seen for long given its state of disrepair.

I realize that's not what this thread is really about, but it's something that has been bugging me ever since I first rode the ride.

DisneyFanaticDargon
11-04-2009, 08:28 AM
Well played, sir/ma'am! :rotfl:

The thing that really puzzles me the most about all of this is why Disney went to the trouble of designing such an expensive and complex animatronic only to have the ride set up in such a way that the Yeti can only be seen for a brief moment. I get that there is a legend that the Yeti is supposed to be mysterious and rarely seen, but it almost seems like a waste to have it in a location where many guests probably don't even notice it. Of course, I suppose it's actually a benefit at the moment to have it not be seen for long given its state of disrepair.

I realize that's not what this thread is really about, but it's something that has been bugging me ever since I first rode the ride.

I actually agree, I think it would have been better suited for maybe the portion where they prep you for the large drop when you're inside the mountain, but I think they wanted you to be able to see the yeti at the climax and the mechanics of a roller coaster didn't allow them to slow down the train enough to make it visible for too long. However, there is a set of trim brakes right before the yeti scene in order to slow down the train enough to make him visible for just a little bit longer.

darthmacho
11-05-2009, 04:57 PM
I think they should redesign the Yeti animatronic so that it randomly mauls one park guest per day... :ambal:

Kidding, of course...:mickey:

BigThunderFan
11-05-2009, 05:52 PM
What I don't understand is the weight of the yeti. Why is it with all of the advancements in technology and lighter, sturdier materials, does the yeti have to weigh 20k pounds?

When I rode it in 2008 the very first time it was in "A" mode and very cool. I rode it again a little later that day and it was in "B" mode. Very disappointing since the second time also happened to be the time I video taped my ride. :(

BigThunderFan
11-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Ooops, forgot to add:

HOWEVER, I love the ride very much despite the yeti not moving. The coaster is very cool, and you really can't tell too much that the yeti isn't moving if you have never seen it in "A" mode.:thumbsup: